PDA

View Full Version : Wetzel's College Playoff system

sinton66
12-05-2008, 09:53 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-playoff120208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Long article, but worth the read.

sinton66
12-06-2008, 12:04 PM
no comments? I thought some of his ideas sounded pretty reasonable.

Gobbla2001
12-06-2008, 12:29 PM
I did a quick glance over this article...

I'd love a lot over what we have now... a 16-team field would be awesome I believe... would be great for college football... but I don't think you could get the NCAA to put us there in a stone's throw... maybe start somewhere else and progress up to that field over time...

I'd take the plus 1 right now... yes the BCS would be involved, but it'd atleast be a two-round playoff...

What I really think I'd like to see NOW is an 8-team playoff... use the BCS... like someone mentioned, most years you don't hear the #9 team in the country complaining that they were shafted by the BCS... so why not just 8 teams?

But I'd give the #9 in the BCS a chance... #8 and #9 have a play-in game and the winner completes the field... that also gives the other teams an extra week of rest, unlike almost a MONTH of rest the teams get now (which can kill the roll a team may be on)..

That would be 5 playoff games, you can play 'em at the BCS bowl locations if you want... ...

Keep all of the 'other' bowl games as well... personally, I don't like that over half of the teams in D1 college ball are rewarded bowl games, makes it seem less important, but these bowl games put money into the economies of the host-city's that they wouldn't have without the bowl games... that can only be a positive, that's why I don't go off on having too many bowl games...

I like the guy's idea... but when you look at it, we all have better ideas than the BCS...

sinton66
12-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I think you're right, the NCAA isn't going to jump right to this. They will most likely go through an evolution process. I do think a 16 team playoff is the right way to go eventually. I like this idea because it gives an equal chance to all teams better than anything else I read, and it settles all arguments on the field of play. That alone is the most attractive part of it.

You're also right that just about anyone can come up with something better than the BCS.