PDA

View Full Version : Who's the next coach at tech?

WestTxschwab
12-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Who do you people will replace leach after he leaves?

briles...promote from within... or maybe even Fulmer?

Who would you like to see?

Raider Red
12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't think he will leave because it will take too long to get his type of players at a new school and to get competitive in a new conference. BUT if he does leave, I don't think they will hire someone from within the conference like Briles. I think Sonny Dykes would be one of high interest.

cshscougar08
12-05-2008, 09:41 AM
That's what I was just thinking. Who said he was leaving?

jockcity33
12-05-2008, 09:45 AM
First of all I really doubt that Leach leaves, but if he does how about Sam Harrell, after all he runs the same type of offense at Ennis and he could get some or all of Leach's stuff from Graham. Or Todd Dodge, he also runs a version of the spread and would already the right type of players at Tech and would not have to build a program from below the ground up like he is having to do at NT.

GreenMonster
12-05-2008, 11:03 AM
If he leaves, I think they go after the Petersen guy at Boise State. I don't think he's leaving though. I really don't think that any HS coach will even be considered for this job if it opens. Leach has had enough success that they will go after someone that has proven that they can win at the collegiate level. I also think they would go after someone young and energetic and certainly offensively minded.

eagles_victory
12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If he leaves, I think they go after the Petersen guy at Boise State. I don't think he's leaving though. I really don't think that any HS coach will even be considered for this job if it opens. Leach has had enough success that they will go after someone that has proven that they can win at the collegiate level. I also think they would go after someone young and energetic and certainly offensively minded. I think they hire from within they arent going to go out and get someone who will change up the system they are going to want to try to play the same style of football for one because that is the way they have recruited and two thats what the fans and boosters are wanting to see and if they bring in a new guy with a new system and it doesnt work immediatly the grumblings will start already.

NastySlot
12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
if they go outside (sort of) this guy might be a good pick.

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/holgorsen_dana00.html

Texasfootball2
12-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Art Briles! Grew up in that part of the country. Got his degree from Tech, and coach their under Leach for several years before going to Houston. I know he's only been at Baylor for one year but I think this is the job he's always wanted. Tech would not miss much of a beat with Briles either.:D JMO

Since Briles was Leaches QB coach he also knows the system.

jimmyceatworld
12-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Got his degree from Tech

Didn't he go to U of H? :thinking:

kepdawg
12-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld

Yeah and he got his degree from Tech.

Texasfootball2
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld

He was a WR at U of Hous. and when his parents and other family members where killed in an auto accident on their way to watch him play SMU at the Cotton Bowl he quite football and enrolled at Tech, which is not that far from Rule, and finished his degree. I think Briles has been waiting for the opportunity to go to Tech.

RMAC
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Leach isn't going anywhere. If he did heres where i think they'd go

1. Art Briles
2. Chris Peterson
3. Kevin Sumlin/Dana Holgerson (hopefully a pkg deal)
4. Tommy Tubberville
5. Sonny Dykes

There's no way in hell they would want fatty Fulmer.

Texasfootball2
12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by RMAC

1. Art Briles
2. Chris Peterson
4. Tommy Tubberville
5. Sonny Dykes

Absolutely "NO WAY" they would hire Tubberiville. He's a great football coach but not a great fit at all for Lubbock and their wide open offensive.

cshscougar08
12-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Absolutely "NO WAY" they would hire Tubberiville. He's a great football coach but not a great fit at all for Lubbock and their wide open offensive.

If you make that statement, do you also agree that Leach is not a great fit for the SEC and their, for the most part, old time smash mouth offenses? Especially at Auburn.

Texasfootball2
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
If you make that statement, do you also agree that Leach is not a great fit for the SEC and their, for the most part, old time smash mouth offenses? Especially at Auburn. You have a great point, but it is much easier to take a team that use to tough and smash mouth football and teach them a wide open passing attack than it is to take a team and turn them into a tough smash mouth team overnight. Auburn has great athletes and lots of team speed already. Finding and training a QB would the tricky part. Tech on the other hand is built for the wide open style and would need to much of an overhaul to change it to Tubbervilles liking.

coach
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
If you make that statement, do you also agree that Leach is not a great fit for the SEC and their, for the most part, old time smash mouth offenses? Especially at Auburn.

graham cracker harell just said most likey leach is going and auburn is one of the top choices

cshscougar08
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
You have a great point, but it is much easier to take a team that use to tough and smash mouth football and teach them a wide open passing attack than it is to take a team and turn them into a tough smash mouth team overnight. Auburn has great athletes and lots of team speed already. Finding and training a QB would the tricky part. Tech on the other hand is built for the wide open style and would need to much of an overhaul to change it to Tubbervilles liking.

This is true. I wonder how the old Southern folks would react to Leach's quirky ways. It would be interesting to see. I would love to see him move up to a great place like Auburn.

Texasfootball2
12-05-2008, 01:09 PM
This is true. I wonder how the old Southern folks would react to Leach's quirky ways. It would be interesting to see. I would love to see him move up to a great place like Auburn. If he is successfull the southern folks would love him. I think it would be more interesting to see what kind of impact he would have on a conference that for years had prided themselves on being a Physically Tough conference with great Defenses, and know they would have to adjust to this insane offenses genius who does nothing the conventional way, like going on fouth and two from your own 30 yd line in the first quater. It would take some getting use to by the Auburn faithful but it would be entertaining.

GreenMonster
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RMAC

1. Art Briles
2. Chris Peterson
4. Tommy Tubberville
5. Sonny Dykes

I think this is a solid list of candidates sans Tuberville. Replace him with Todd Graham up at Tulsa. Tulsa has been lighting it up in the 2 years he's been around. He would be a great hire in that he was recently recruiting at a Texas school (Rice) and recently coached at the HS level in the Metroplex (Allen I think) so his recruiting network should still be in place to gather talent. He is obviously offensively minded and would fit in nicely at Tech in my opinion.

ronwx5x
12-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I think much of the thinking in this thread is off. Yes, Coach Leach is different, but the media doesn't spend much time in Lubbock other than the one week prior to them losing the "biggie" to OU. Leach is not as big nationally as in Texas, so his odd ways don't cause much consternation elsewhere. Besides, until he bacame successful (put your own definition on that) , he was not even considered quirky. The most talk I've seen is on 3A DL!

Anyway, my point is his oddities are probably not as big an issue as some would have us believe. If they were, It's doubtful he would even receive consideration from prominent schools.

Just my simple opinion.

Raider Red
12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I still can't figure how anyone can consider Art Briles as a candidate for Tech. I do not think Tech would look with in the conference for their next head coach and I do not think Coach Briles would leave baylor after just one year. He would lose all credibility with recruits if he did that.

Emerson1
12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't think Briles wants to leave Griffin

cshscougar08
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Raider Red
I still can't figure how anyone can consider Art Briles as a candidate for Tech. I do not think Tech would look with in the conference for their next head coach and I do not think Coach Briles would leave baylor after just one year. He would lose all credibility with recruits if he did that.

I definitely agree with that statement. His record shows that he wouldn't do that. I also agree with you Emerson. After all, Griffin followed Briles to Baylor. That would be a slap in his face if Briles simply turned around and left him.

RMAC
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I think this is a solid list of candidates sans Tuberville. Replace him with Todd Graham up at Tulsa. Tulsa has been lighting it up in the 2 years he's been around. He would be a great hire in that he was recently recruiting at a Texas school (Rice) and recently coached at the HS level in the Metroplex (Allen I think) so his recruiting network should still be in place to gather talent. He is obviously offensively minded and would fit in nicely at Tech in my opinion.
I don't think Tech would take Graham after he and Tulsa burned them last summer by dropping the season opener in favor of more $$ at Arkansas (which they lost) and Tech ended up playing E Washington. They did it in a pretty lame fashion and Tech found out through the media.

Also, what kind of program was Tech before Leach came in? They were run first and play good defense. I could see something where they bring in Tubbs as HC but he's running the defense and hire an OC (Holgerson or Dykes) to keep something similar to Leach's offense in place.