PDA

View Full Version : Gladewater - 8 Quarterfinals in 40 years

WOS87
12-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Gladewater is one of the top 20 winningest 3A programs over the past 50 years despite competing in the 2nd largest classification (4A since 1980/3A prior to 1980) for quite a few years as one of the smallest schools in that classification. They've had the misfortune of perennially being in one of the toughest districts in the state, facing the likes of Lufkin, Longview, Carthage, Gilmer and Marshall.

Here is their history in the modern era (back to 1951) which includes ALL playoff appearances in the program's history.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/g/gladewater.gif

waterboy
12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Gladewater has been down lately, but I remember when they were in the playoffs every year. The best team I saw them have was in 1984. That year they tied Daingerfield in the playoffs 27-27 when the Bears missed an extra point (blocked), and Daingerfield advanced because they had one more penetration. I always thought that if they would've won that game, which I think they should've, they would likely have been the state champs. We'll never really know, though. I still think that this year they were the 3rd best team in District 17AAA, but they didn't make the cut for the playoffs. Good work, WOS87!

Aesculus gilmus
12-04-2008, 10:34 AM
This has to do with the coach, I think.

The late Jack V. Murphy beat Gilmer at least 20 years in a row at one stretch.

The G'water stadium is named after him just as the WOS one is after Coach Hooks.

Well, I looked at the history and it was only about 12 times in a row. It just SEEMED like 20.

lostaussie
12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Gladewater has been down lately, but I remember when they were in the playoffs every year. The best team I saw them have was in 1984. That year they tied Daingerfield in the playoffs 27-27 when the Bears missed an extra point (blocked), and Daingerfield advanced because they had one more penetration. I always thought that if they would've won that game, which I think they should've, they would likely have been the state champs. We'll never really know, though. I still think that this year they were the 3rd best team in District 17AAA, but they didn't make the cut for the playoffs. Good work, WOS87! Maybe the best playoff game I ever saw!!!!

NastySlot
12-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Maybe the best playoff game I ever saw!!!!

i agree....drove up to watch this one when i was 18 years old...my mother didn't even know i was in tyler(lived in rowlett).........i remember the crowd...i think people were still in line in the third qtr.

Dogman_1969
12-04-2008, 12:06 PM
What ever happened to Robert Pope (former defensive coach) at Gladewater in the late 90's?