PDA

View Full Version : Yes............Another BCS Question?

ILS1
12-03-2008, 07:20 PM
The BCS National Championship Game will be played by the BCS #1 & BCS #2 teams respectively. #1 Alabama plays #4 Florida in the SEC Championship this weekend. #2 Oklahoma plays #20 Missouri in the Big XII Championship. While #3 Texas has completed their regular season. Here's a scenario:

#1 Alabama barely loses to #4 Florida. Then #2 Oklahoma beats Missouri. More than likely Oklahoma would be the new #1. Then Texas should move up to #2 and Florida up to #3. Would that mean the BCS Championship would be Oklahoma & Texas. Or would #4 Florida jump over Texas for the #2 spot. I know the BCS has a rule for not having more than 2 teams from the same conference in the BCS bowls. Why not 2 teams from the same conference in the Championship game?? It does say the #1 & #2 teams in the BCS play in the Championship!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

TheDOCTORdre
12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
The BCS National Championship Game will be played by the BCS #1 & BCS #2 teams respectively. #1 Alabama plays #4 Florida in the SEC Championship this weekend. #2 Oklahoma plays #20 Missouri in the Big XII Championship. While #3 Texas has completed their regular season. Here's a scenario:

#1 Alabama barely loses to #4 Florida. Then #2 Oklahoma beats Missouri. More than likely Oklahoma would be the new #1. Then Texas should move up to #2 and Florida up to #3. Would that mean the BCS Championship would be Oklahoma & Texas. Or would #4 Florida jump over Texas for the #2 spot. I know the BCS has a rule for not having more than 2 teams from the same conference in the BCS bowls. Why not 2 teams from the same conference in the Championship game?? It does say the #1 & #2 teams in the BCS play in the Championship!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Texas doesnt play and human voters would be like Texas who lol and the new standing would look like this

1.Ou
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Alabama or quite possibley USC depending on if and how they beat UCLA

OrangeChamps
12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
That would make way too much sense for the BCS.

dogdad
12-03-2008, 07:26 PM
your scenario is entirely possible

another scenario......OU and SEC champ plays in Natl Champ game and OU wins.....Texas plays in Fiesta and wins....UT is ranked ahead of OU in AP poll, OU is BCS natl champ, UT is AP nat'l champ

TheDOCTORdre
12-03-2008, 07:30 PM
oh ya imagine this what if the BIg XII was broken up differently than into the North and South and the best 2 teams played for the Big XII Championship then you would have #2 OU vs #3 UT with #1 Bama vs #4 Florida...it would essentially be a playoff system with the winners going to the NC....if only:thinking:

ILS1
12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
your scenario is entirely possible

another scenario......OU and SEC champ plays in Natl Champ game and OU wins.....Texas plays in Fiesta and wins....UT is ranked ahead of OU in AP poll, OU is BCS natl champ, UT is AP nat'l champ

That was my next scenario!!!! But you beat me to it!!! Split National Championship!! Hell Yeah!! Oh wait.........Doesn't USC ALWAYS make a claim for it EVERY YEAR!!!!

:D :D :D :D

Gobbla2001
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm kind of undecided on sharing a nat'l championship, esspecially with OU... it would be kind of sweet to spoil OU's parade and share it with them, yelling 45-35 the whole way... then again, I never liked sharing

oh, and ILS, I think we'll be headin' back after the game but thanks for the offer... let you know if anything changes,,,

Emerson1
12-03-2008, 07:56 PM
The computers would finally start to like Florida plus they would move to #1 in the human polls.

Gobbla2001
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The computers would finally start to like Florida plus they would move to #1 in the human polls.

think you're right..

Who-dun-it!!?
12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
how does the bandwaggon USC even get back to the top 5 after losing to an unranked team?

PPHSfan
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
how does the bandwaggon USC even get back to the top 5 after losing to an unranked team?

Oregon State, and Ole Miss were both ranked teams until this week. And they beat USC and Florida respectively.

Necks_Fan
12-03-2008, 08:40 PM
If Florida beats #1 Bama, then they jump to ATLEAST #2, may even pass OU as well.

You have to remember, this IS the BCS we're talking about here.

PPHSfan
12-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
If Florida beats #1 Bama, then they jump to ATLEAST #2, may even pass OU as well.

You have to remember, this IS the BCS we're talking about here.

What about when USC beat number one OSU, or when Texas beat number one OU, or when Texas Tech beat number one Texas?

That theory doesn't hold water either. Florida has a loss to number 25 Ole Miss. Texas, OU, and USC have one loss to a top 25 team as well.

swstangs001
12-04-2008, 12:16 AM
i saw an article on yahoo about this....florida is so far behind texas in the computer polls that there is a small chance that texas could play for the NC

cshscougar08
12-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Highly unlikely. You have to remember that the BCS is 2/3 biased human polls and they are obviously going to put Florida that beat the #1 team in the country over an idle Texas. Plus, Florida actually playing Alabama will help them in the computer polls as well. So I doubt that that would happen, but crazier things have happened so we'll see.

coachkiss
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Florida will probably be ahead of Texas in both human polls if they beat Alabama. However, they are already ahead of them in one poll and they won't move up much in the other. It will come down to the computers, and Texas has about a 50% chance if Florida wins close and OU wins big.

Black_Magic
12-04-2008, 10:06 AM
OU beats Mizzo by only 3 to 7 pts and Texas jumps OU in the polls.... OU FOLKS GO NUTTS....... But should happen.

gatordaze
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
OU beats Mizzo by only 3 to 7 pts and Texas jumps OU in the polls.... OU FOLKS GO NUTTS....... But should happen.

If Florida beats Bama big they will take almost all of bama's 1st place votes. If they squeak by OU will get a big chunk. If Florida does not get enough of Alabama's 1st place votes I think that it could happen. I do beleive that the majority of the humans would prefer an SEC v. B12 matchup and will manipulate the vote as they attempted to to put UT in the B12 CCG.

Go Gators!

NastySlot
12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
how about this.............florida v. ou.....bcs championship..........texas v. alabama...sugar.............should be able to get a split national champions out of this.

this only happens if florida beats alabama.

STANG RED
12-04-2008, 12:01 PM
You people are putting way too much rational thought into an unrational (is that a word?:confused: ) system. But I guess if enough scenarios are thrown out there, one of them is bound to end up happening. Which one :crazy1: :crazy: :vrycnfsd: :ack!: is anybodies guess.

cshscougar08
12-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Ya know something, I haven't heard a single person from Tech complaining. And they definitely have a right to now. Texas fans, you're benefiting from the same thing that OU benefited from. Texas beat OU, but that head to head matchup didn't matter. Now, Tech is gonna be left out of a BCS game because THAT head to head matchup isn't mattering anymore. So while you complain about the unfairness of the Big 12 championship game decision, you're benefiting from the very thing that you're complaining about!

DDBooger
12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Ya know something, I haven't heard a single person from Tech complaining. And they definitely have a right to now. Texas fans, you're benefiting from the same thing that OU benefited from. Texas beat OU, but that head to head matchup didn't matter. Now, Tech is gonna be left out of a BCS game because THAT head to head matchup isn't mattering anymore. So while you complain about the unfairness of the Big 12 championship game decision, you're benefiting from the very thing that you're complaining about!
texas loss 6pts
OU loss 10 pts
Tech loss 44 pts

simple.
I think they're a great team, but had they made a better showing perhaps they'd be in front of Texas.

Emerson1
12-04-2008, 01:22 PM
One of the computer polls has a simulator

http://www.colleyrankings.com/playgod.html

Playing out the conference championships a Florida wins boosts them up from .9000ish to .93000ish

Try it yourself

cshscougar08
12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
texas loss 6pts
OU loss 10 pts
Tech loss 44 pts

simple.
I think they're a great team, but had they made a better showing perhaps they'd be in front of Texas.

I'm just going with the Texas logic. If head to head is THAT important, the Tech OU game shouldn't matter. This is between Tech and Texas.

DDBooger
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm just going with the Texas logic. If head to head is THAT important, the Tech OU game shouldn't matter. This is between Tech and Texas. lol, no, it's between Texas and OU based on performance. only one of the matchups was over in the 1st qtr.

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm just going with the Texas logic. If head to head is THAT important, the Tech OU game shouldn't matter. This is between Tech and Texas.

NOOOO... Texas' Logic was that Texas had been ranked ahead of OU every week since beating them except for last week... even after losing to Tech, Texas was still ahead of OU...

Once Tech got creamed by OU, they "fell" behind a lot of teams... they were not in the discussion... no one jumped them...

Had OU been out of the picture and UT jumped Tech from one spot behind, I'd expect everyone in Lubbock to be griping and I wouldn't blame 'em...

you keep holding your apples up to oranges, that's grape-sized logic partner...

bigYoe
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Right now the way things are going I honestly dont see Tech with any chance to get to the Big 12 title or NCG. Texas has a few shots, especially if Oklahoma loses or wins by less than 2 touchdowns. If Missouri keeps it close i think the voters will put Texas ahead seeing as they kicked Missour's butt. If Oklahoma beats Missouri by at least 3 TD's Oklahoma goes to NCG and Texas plays Fiesta Bowl.

Big Papa
12-04-2008, 02:04 PM

haha the 1st time i saw your sig i thought it was talking about the actual game where UT beat OU 45-35 :clap: :clap:.... but then i looked again :doh: :doh:

Necks_Fan
12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
What about when USC beat number one OSU, or when Texas beat number one OU, or when Texas Tech beat number one Texas?

That theory doesn't hold water either. Florida has a loss to number 25 Ole Miss. Texas, OU, and USC have one loss to a top 25 team as well. Just wait and watch. The humans and the computers will fall in love with Florida when they beat Bama.

If Ou can pass UT when they win against the #14 team, I think Florida can pass UT when they beat the #1 team.

cshscougar08
12-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm talking about strictly Tech or Texas for a BCS bowl should OU win the Big 12. This has nothing to do with Tech having a say in the Big 12 title race. Just simply with going to a BCS bowl game.

Txbroadcaster
12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm talking about strictly Tech or Texas for a BCS bowl should OU win the Big 12. This has nothing to do with Tech having a say in the Big 12 title race. Just simply with going to a BCS bowl game.

If one of the BCS bowls said..We picked TTech over texas because they beat them head to head, as a Texas fan I would have no problem with that

JasperDog94
12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If one of the BCS bowls said..We picked TTech over texas because they beat them head to head, as a Texas fan I would have no problem with that Same here.

Emerson1
12-04-2008, 04:16 PM
If one of the BCS bowls said..We picked TTech over texas because they beat them head to head, as a Texas fan I would have no problem with that
They just might too. Tech fans would probably travel across the country better than Texas since the BCS may not come again for a while for them.

hookandladder
12-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Alabama beats Florida in the SEC, Missouri beats OU in the Big 12. After the game Chase McDaniel flashes the Hookem sign. Done deal.

DDBooger
12-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Just heard it, that guy from Mike and Mike in the morning said, "who deserves a trip to the BCS if Oklahoma loses, USC or Texas" :rolleyes: The SC lovers are flexing.

PPHSfan
12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Just heard it, that guy from Mike and Mike in the morning said, "who deserves a trip to the BCS if Oklahoma loses, USC or Texas" :rolleyes: The SC lovers are flexing.

I love Texas so does that make me a Texas Lover? USC has a legit argument. They have a better Defense than anyone on the planet. OU gave up more points in two games this year than USC gave up all year.

DDBooger
12-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I love Texas so does that make me a Texas Lover? USC has a legit argument. They have a better Defense than anyone on the planet. OU gave up more points in two games this year than USC gave up all year. they played in the mhmr circuit bro!:rolleyes: lmao:D

Emerson1
12-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I love Texas so does that make me a Texas Lover? USC has a legit argument. They have a better Defense than anyone on the planet. OU gave up more points in two games this year than USC gave up all year.
Even OU could of held ND to 3 points. Only difference is they actually would have done something on offense

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 06:33 PM

me either really... it'd suck since Texas is ranked higher, but still, they beat us head to head what could I say?

PPHSfan
12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Even OU could of held ND to 3 points. Only difference is they actually would have done something on offense

OU would not hang 35 on USC. No friggin way.

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 06:39 PM
OU would not hang 35 on USC. No friggin way.

how can we tell though? We haven't seen USC face an offense anywhere close to OU's this year... I think they'd for sure come close if not do it...

DDBooger
12-04-2008, 06:41 PM
OU would not hang 35 on USC. No friggin way. :crazy: Oregon State hung 27 on em.
OU>Oregon St.
so yeah, they could I bet. Pac-10 had some of the worst Div I teams in the nation (washington & washington st.)

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I think a lot of people are also putting stock into what USC did to tOSU's offense... 3 points? Gotta remember, Ohio State wasn't even settled into their offense yet... That Pryor kid didn't even start... they didn't know what they were doing...

DDBooger
12-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I think a lot of people are also putting stock into what USC did to tOSU's offense... 3 points? Gotta remember, Ohio State wasn't even settled into their offense yet... That Pryor kid didn't even start... they didn't know what they were doing... Pryor's backup was terrible. poor guy looked clueless out there.

t-bird
12-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Oregon State, and Ole Miss were both ranked teams until this week. And they beat USC and Florida respectively.

Not when they beat USC and Florida.

BreckTxLonghorn
12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I think a lot of people are also putting stock into what USC did to tOSU's offense... 3 points? Gotta remember, Ohio State wasn't even settled into their offense yet... That Pryor kid didn't even start... they didn't know what they were doing...

Was Beanie Wells out at that point too?

TheDOCTORdre
12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
usc plays in the weak 10...they shouldnt be in the discussion i hope UCLA beats them just so we dont have to hear them complain

TheDOCTORdre
12-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Was Beanie Wells out at that point too?
ya

Necks_Fan
12-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
usc plays in the weak 10...they shouldnt be in the discussion i hope UCLA beats them just so we dont have to hear them complain :iagree:

turbostud
12-04-2008, 09:27 PM
The sad thing about this is that UT beat both teams playing for the Big 12 title. Mizzou, with 3 losses, could end up being the Big 12 champ.
Is that an automatic BCS bowl berth?

TheDOCTORdre
12-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
The sad thing about this is that UT beat both teams playing for the Big 12 title. Mizzou, with 3 losses, could end up being the Big 12 champ.
Is that an automatic BCS bowl berth?

yes that would put them in the fiesta