PDA

View Full Version : WOS Question???

Buckeye1980
12-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I was watching the Gilmer -WOS game replay last night and have noticed that 90% of the time that WOS's linemen get in a down stance they run, and if not in stance they pass ....am I the only one that noticed this ...and is it common?

Buckeye1980
12-01-2008, 12:43 PM
No response?

thatboiwes
12-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
No response?

Because you just figured out their offense, maybe?

Gobbla2001
12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
It used to be common practice for teams to do this, and I haven't paid attention to that in a while... down-stance will help you come off of the ball faster and lower when you run to block... two-point stance (not down) usually helps the lineman get better position quicker when blocking a pass-rush...

WOS87
12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I would imagine you're not getting much response because the other WO-S regular posters are still in their week of mourning.... They'll pop their heads back up eventually I'm sure. We most definitely will be back.

I can't really answer your question but I know that they've been doing that since the State Championship teams of the 1980's.

I posted the entire 1987 State Championship between WO-S and Rockwall on YouTube (search for it and it should be easy to find) and I believe you'll see them doing the same exact thing.

Since YouTube only allows a max of 10 minutes per clip the game is divided up into 12 or 13 individual clips

Rabid Cougar
12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
It a common practice for the linemen to stay up in the spread. CS runs both the Spread and Slot T. They run 3 to 5 yard splits in the spread with two point stance. They go foot to foot and four point stances in the Slot- T.
If you watch Texas Tech, their O-Line never goes down. It is much easier to get the verticle pass drop and set against fast defensive linemen. It opens passing lanes and gets the defensive ends further away from the QB.
I can tell you form experince which offense your team runs make a huge difference in the length of the game. Against Burnet, CS ran exlusively with no huddle, the first half lasted 32 minutes. Against Glen Rose were both team were pass happy, the game lasted more than 3 hours.

WOS1
12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Yes, we normally do that, though you are the first non-coach that I've ever seen pick up on it. I'll have to let the coaches know that we have been discovered so we don't make the same mistake in our rematch for next year.;)

Any chance that you recorded that game or know anyone who may have? That was my daughters last game and it would be awesome if I could get a copy of that for her.

poisoned10
12-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
Any chance that you recorded that game or know anyone who may have? That was my daughters last game and it would be awesome if I could get a copy of that for her.

If you called Gilmer Cable or ETEX in Gilmer you might be able to get a copy of the game. The record the game and show it the next day for those who don't get to go to the games.