PDA

View Full Version : an interesting article

forum_guy
12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
BCS antics leading to disturbing poll trend

By Brad Edwards
Special to ESPN.com

In the end, it was what we expected.

It just happened far differently than anyone had imagined.

Oklahoma will represent the Big 12 South in the conference championship game against Missouri on Saturday, giving the Sooners a chance to play their way into the BCS National Championship Game with a victory.

OU earned that berth by being ranked higher than both Texas and Texas Tech in Sunday's BCS standings -- the fifth and final tiebreaker to determine the division winner.

Oklahoma entered last week with a lead on its competition in the polls that account for two-thirds of the BCS formula, but the Sooners still trailed Texas in the computer element. A road win against No. 12 Oklahoma State vaulted Oklahoma ahead of the Longhorns in that part of the equation, giving OU an advantage that seemed insurmountable.

But it was barely enough.

Even after Oklahoma's 61-41 win at Stillwater, a significant number of voters decided to drop the Sooners behind the Longhorns on their ballots, allowing Texas to take a six-point lead in the Harris poll and come within one point of OU in the coaches' poll.

In other words, the cumulative total of the human element of the BCS formula had Texas ranked ahead of Oklahoma by the slimmest of margins. It was the computers that ultimately boosted the Sooners into the Big 12 championship game, and into the national championship game if they can beat the Tigers, as well.

Whether you side with Oklahoma or Texas in this debate, it's hard not to be disturbed by what happened in the polls on Nov. 30. Certainly, voters have every right to change their minds from week-to-week, but in this case, there seemed to be a much larger agenda at work.

In any normal week, there would be no rational explanation for Oklahoma (winning 61-41 at No. 12 Oklahoma State) and Florida (winning 45-15 at No. 20 Florida State) both losing points in the polls and getting jumped by a team that had a similar victory margin in a home game against an opponent with a losing record.

Apparently, Texas' victory over Texas A&M on Thanksgiving night carried a lot of weight with the voters.
In this particular week, it's just part of the BCS game.

In the previous two seasons, several final ballots had very questionable ordering of teams, and there's little doubt that we'd see the same thing this week if these ballots were made public. But they won't be, because this isn't the final week of the regular season.

Regardless, it's clear that the polls have gotten out of control.

When the BCS was created many years ago, the polls were supposed to provide a passive element of the overall formula. But as the polls have been given more power, there's been trend toward voters attempting to serve a very active role as a virtual selection committee.

Ballots have ceased to be one man's opinion. Some of them are trying to manipulate the outcome of the race, and that's not what the polls were intended to do.

Thanks to the Big 12 for exposing yet another flaw in this system!

forum_guy
12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
why would the humans sway texas way after OU crushed osu...this is strange

forum_guy
12-01-2008, 12:12 PM
the humans changed their mind at the end and tried to screw OU after a crushing of osu?

JasperDog94
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
This just proves how ambiguous voting is. That and it shows that people have a very short term memory. 45-35

gatordaze
12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy

Voters given the choice of OU/UT tried to influence the vote toward the head to head winner. They took votes away from OU/UF in order to influence UT upward. They just did not do enough.

They can do it again next week assuming a UF and OU victory. It is possible that UF would remain behind UT if they do not get at least half of UA's first place votes.

Twirling Time
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
The shoe will be on the other foot if OU loses to Missouri and USC jumps Texas.

National media is just looking for an excuse to put USC in the national championship game.

XtremeCouture
12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
why would anyone want to watch sanchez throw more int's while the rest of his team has to win the game without him?

Black_Magic
12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
the humans changed their mind at the end and tried to screw OU after a crushing of osu? Screw OU.. by putting Texas ahead of a team they BEAT???? LOL...

forum_guy
12-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Screw OU.. by putting Texas ahead of a team they BEAT???? LOL...

u completely missed the point of the article...OU was leading the human votes by alot and crushed an osu team on the road while ut beat some team d2 team....why would texas gain so much ground and actually lead the human votes after OU enormous road win...

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
It just shows the whole system is messed up

No matter which team was picked, the one sitting at home has a legit gripe

Red&White_9x5
12-01-2008, 03:24 PM
the humans changed their mind at the end and tried to screw OU after a crushing of osu?

Nobody tried to screw OU. The human voters had something that the computers did not and that something is called COMMON SENSE. The human voters used logic in the way of Texas beat OU by 10 points on a neutral field!

Red&White_9x5
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Twirling Time
The shoe will be on the other foot if OU loses to Missouri and USC jumps Texas.

National media is just looking for an excuse to put USC in the national championship game.

Trust me I would love for Mizzou to upset OU. I don't think it will happen, but in the event it does I can assure you that USC would not jump Texas. I do not argue the fact that the media LOVES USC and would want them in the title game, but there may be a riot if OU loses and USC jumps Texas. If the computers put a team that plays in the much weaker Pac10 who lost to Oregon State over a Texas team from the Big12 who's only loss was on the road to #7 Texas Tech then that would be an injustice to all of college football

NastySlot
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It just shows the whole system is messed up

No matter which team was picked, the one sitting at home has a legit gripe

either way who every was going to be left out had a gripe.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
either way who every was going to be left out had a gripe.

but I still think the UT gripe has a slight more merit simply by on the field

vet93
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I also respect UT for not going for the "Style points" in the A&M game. They pulled the dogs off and pulled many of their key starters. The outocme could have been worse. I am not sure you would have seen the same courtesy from Stoops or Leach. Maybe some voters noted and appreciated this and it also gave the Longhorns a boost.

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
but I still think the UT gripe has a slight more merit simply by on the field

HM33
12-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Texas should of lost sooner and this wouldn't be a problem. OU gots theirs early and it helped them. Either way you go there will be a team that has beaten the NCs this year. If Texas were to go and win then Tech has the say that they beat the national champs. Just like if OU wins Texas can say they beat the nation champs. Either way the two best teams will go to the NC.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by HM33
Either way the two best teams will go to the NC.

and I dont think it is that cut and dry whether OU or Texas plays in NC

nobogey72
12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
u completely missed the point of the article...OU was leading the human votes by alot and crushed an osu team on the road while ut beat some team d2 team....why would texas gain so much ground and actually lead the human votes after OU enormous road win...

:confused: :confused: "OU crushed OSU" ???????? Did you watch the same game that I did?

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 05:59 PM
why would texas gain so much ground and actually lead the human votes after OU enormous road win...

I explained why it would happen all week... OU's enormous win over a #2 Tech gave OU a big boost in the human polls LAST week... but a strong 45-35 campaign and the realization by these voters that their vote would screw one team made those voters go with the head to head winner... the majority of humans actually believe the Red River Rivalry/Shootout/High-Nooner did take place and SHOULD mean something... the computer, however, would have probably voted Dallas into the third round last year though NY won that game...

that's how it shoulda been last week and this week...

King_LeYoeNidas
12-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Allowing 41 points is considering "crushing?" Interesting.

With people having no control over the computer controlled BCS, this proves one thing....Skynet is real. Judgement Day is near. Sarah Connor was right.

NastySlot
12-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas

With people having no control over the computer controlled BCS, this proves one thing....Skynet is real. Judgement Day is near. Sarah Connor was right.

sounds better if you say they won by 20 on the road v. a ranked opponent.

DDBooger
12-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas

so all women with 38C-36D cups, "come with me if you want to live"
:cool: :D

OldBison75
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Well the computers have spoken and as usual, they are full of pooh-pooh. Lets just look at the whole season for example:

Oklahoma has played 12 games and the won-lost record of their opponents is a whopping 78 wins and 62 losses.

Texas has played 12 games and the opponent won-lost record is 82 wins and 56 losses.

How in the hell does that come out to Oklahoma have a tougher schedule rating in the computer?

My guess is that the computer did not measure overall won loss records, but has a built-in number for any team that falls below number 40 and regardles of their record, they get rated as equals. No other reasonable explanation for the Longhorns playing a tougher schedule and being rated lower.

Necks_Fan
12-01-2008, 06:19 PM
The people realized how moronic they were after they put OU ahead of UT in the polls after the OU/Tech game, so they fixed their ballots to what it SHOULD have been in the first place.