PDA

View Full Version : Region III GotW: Carthage vs Gilmer

mistanice
11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Next Saturday at SFA's Homer Bryce Stadium. 7:30

Who wins? I'm going with Carthage.

JR2004
11-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Doesn't really matter who wins region III. Whoever does has a bye into the title game.

eagles_victory
11-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Heck yes game of the playoffs within walking distance.

sundevil
11-29-2008, 07:01 PM
What I find funny is that a lot of folks say they have seen Gilmer play and a lot of folks say they have seen Carthage play and that they will go with Carthage.

Until you see them play each other I don't believe anyone has an idea what to expect.

Gilmer has played the tougher teams in the playoffs which should help them in there preparation for this game

We are about equal in the amount of homers that post here and on smoaky so the boards should be full of chest bumping for the rest of the week and not much substance.
:cool:

Aesculus gilmus
11-29-2008, 07:32 PM
These two teams used to be in District 16-4A together as recently as 1997.

Carthage has won only one out of the last four meetings, IIRC.

WOS87's team histories would verify that or not, but I believe that's right. Here you go:

1996: Gilmer 10, Carthage 0
1997: Gilmer 35, Carthage 28
1998: Gilmer 7, Carthage 35
1999: Gilmer 21, Carthage 0

Two other meetings I found back in prehistory:

1954: Gilmer 0, Carthage 21
1955: Gilmer 38, Carthage 7

So Gilmer leads series overall, 4-2.

Bull's-eye
11-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Doesn't really matter who wins region III. Whoever does has a bye into the title game.

You don't ever give up, do you?

Necks_Fan
11-29-2008, 11:49 PM
After watching Gilmer put on a show tonight... I'll take the Buckeyes in a slugfest.

Buckeye80
11-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Don't even have the energy right now! I just wanna enjoy tonight's win for a little while!:D

Dogman_1969
11-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Carthage in a high scoring game............

easttexas3a
11-30-2008, 12:08 AM
It's funny, you have a lot of Kilgore fans that say Carthage will beat Gilmer. Problem with that is Kilgore played Carthage week 1 and us like week 3, those games were a long time ago, and Gilmer is a junior lead ball team. We have 2 seniors on Offense and 3 on Defense........we are a different teams as I am sure Carthage is as well. Carthage has been blowing people out since 2 early season losses to 4a teams, Gilmer has played well all year, and has played the toucgher schedule in my opinion. I like my buckeyes, especially if they play their A game.

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 12:20 AM
You know you're a "big time" football program when people chomp at the bit to pick against you. Even sometimes your own fans!:D

easttexas3a
11-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Carthage Schedule Result (11-2)
8/29/08 TBA @ Kilgore 20-33 (L)
9/05/08 TBA @ Henderson 33-3 (W)
9/19/08 TBA @ Nacogdoches 18-21 (L)
9/26/08 TBA vs. Jacksonville 42-21 (W)
10/03/08 TBA vs. Atlanta 42-7 (W)
10/10/08 TBA @ Center 47-0 (W)
10/17/08 TBA @ Rusk 50-7 (W)
10/24/08 TBA vs. Jasper 56-21 (W)
10/31/08 TBA @ Diboll 62-28 (W)
11/07/08 TBA vs. Huntington 48-0 (W)
11/13/08 TBA vs. Tatum 62-20 (W)
11/21/08 TBA @ Lorena 49-14 (W)
11/28/08 TBA @ Rockdale 55-28 (W)

PF - 584
PA - 203

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Allright! Just hit my second wind!:D

I will hearken back to something that the Mexia coach said in the local paper before we played them. He said something to the effect of, "We don't live close enough to Gilmer to get caught up in the hype that follows that program."
Carthage, located just 55 miles from Gilmer, is the opposite. They know all about Gilmer. They have witnessed the success of our program.
To be the biggest baddest kid on the block, you have to knock off the biggest baddest kid on the block, and I think Carthage is well aware of that! Carthage is very confident (understandably) in what they bring to the table. But as it was suggested in the week prior to the game tonight with regards to WOS, Carthage has not seen an offense even close to comparable with the Buckeyes!
From what I witnessed in the one game I saw Carthage play (Carthage 62 Tatum 20), Carthage is a very impressive team in all facets of the game.
That being said, I believe the attitude of that team is such that if you jump on them early, they will lay down. And with the exception of 3 games this year, we've done that pretty well!

easttexas3a
11-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Gilmer Schedule Result (12-1)
8/28/08 TBA @ Jasper 56-28 (W)
9/05/08 TBA vs. Rains 77-21 (W)
9/12/08 TBA vs. Liberty-Eylau 28-14 (W)
9/19/08 TBA @ Kilgore 14-28 (L)
9/26/08 TBA @ Daingerfield 49-18 (W)
10/10/08 TBA vs. Bullard 48-12 (W)
10/17/08 TBA @ Chapel Hill 35-6 (W)
10/24/08 TBA vs. Spring Hill 55-7 (W)
10/31/08 TBA vs. Gladewater 43-8 (W)
11/07/08 TBA @ Tatum 48-14 (W)
11/14/08 7:30 PM @ Diboll 54-0 (W)
11/21/08 TBA @ Mexia 50-36 (W)
11/29/08 TBA @ West Orange-Stark 35-23 (W)

PF - 592
PA - 215

easttexas3a
11-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Carthage Similar opponets with Gilmer
8/29/08 TBA @ Kilgore 20-33 (L)
10/24/08 TBA vs. Jasper 56-21 (W)
10/31/08 TBA @ Diboll 62-28 (W)
11/13/08 TBA vs. Tatum 62-20 (W)

Gilmer Similar Opponets with Carthage

8/28/08 TBA @ Jasper 56-28 (W)
9/19/08 TBA @ Kilgore 14-28 (L)
11/07/08 TBA @ Tatum 48-14 (W)
11/14/08 7:30 PM @ Diboll 54-0 (W)

Obviously the teams looked to have beaten common opponets similarily to the other. If we compare schedules I like Gilmers better slightly then Carthages. Although Carthage played a 4a heavy schedule Nacogdoches did not make the playoffs a team they lost to, and Jacksonville was a 3-7 playoff team that was not very good. We struggled mightily against Kilgore with 4 turnovers, Carthage supposively should have beaten Kilgore by what their fans say. Kilgore fans seem to think Carthage was the better team but they definitly saw Gilmers C game.

I like our road vs. Mexia and WOS better as well, especially the win over WOS, a very good football team.

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
This week, we should just focus on the game instead of the statistical and historical crap IMHO!:)

We know all about Carthage's success, and they know all about our's. We both played Kilgore and lost, and I don't think that fact can be used to tell us anything about how they will match up with each other Saturday.
Blackshire is a fantastic QB, and Smith is a tough, hard-nosed RB. They have a good core of receivers and huge lines on both sides. We will definitely have our hands full with the Bulldogs on Saturday!

pirate4state
11-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Buckeyes will win because I said so! :cool:

I don't know anything about Carthage except what Buckeye80 & LH Panther Mom have told me. She saw them last year and she felt they were impressive & had potential. Buckeye80 agrees for the most part.

I'm gonna say Gilmer by at least 10! :)

Whoever makes it out of Region IV is gonna get rolled. Watching WOS/Gilmer was like watching Sinton/Bellville in FAST FORWARD. Bellville/Giddings...you only THINK you have speed!! Good luck with that!

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Buckeyes will win because I said so! :cool:

I don't know anything about Carthage except what Buckeye80 & LH Panther Mom have told me. She saw them last year and she felt they were impressive & had potential. Buckeye80 agrees for the most part.

I'm gonna say Gilmer by at least 10! :)

Whoever makes it out of Region IV is gonna get rolled. Watching WOS/Gilmer was like watching Sinton/Bellville in FAST FORWARD. Bellville/Giddings...you only THINK you have speed!! Good luck with that! Lol. I agree. The winner of Gilmer/Carthage is going to demolish the winner of that game. :doh:

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 02:41 PM

Whoever makes it out of Region IV is gonna get rolled. Watching WOS/Gilmer was like watching Sinton/Bellville in FAST FORWARD. Bellville/Giddings...you only THINK you have speed!! Good luck with that!

Oh now don't be that way! We actually have a backup Off. Tackle who runs a 5.0 "40". See? The team is not all speed-burners!:D

pirate4state
11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Oh now don't be that way! We actually have a backup Off. Tackle who runs a 5.0 "40". See? The team is not all speed-burners!:D You're right. Yall are just a bunch of slow pokes with little hands!

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 02:47 PM
You're right. Yall are just a bunch of slow pokes with little hands! We have starting LB's that barely can run a 5.0.

Our secondary is all about 4.9 ish.

Our O line.... 5.2 or 5.3 ish.

And the sad part is....we were probably about the 3rd fastest in our district. :doh:

Silverback 04
11-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure that having the most speed gaurantees you will demolish people. I know that Carthage and Gilmer have tremendous atheletes but I think a ball control Giddings team can hang just don't know if their defense will hold up. A Region III win, probably, a bye into the championship, i doubt it.

LH Panther Mom
11-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
You don't ever give up, do you?
$64,000 question, right there.

easttexas3a
11-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Carthage I have only seen once, and that was when they played Kilgore. I thought they were good, I thought they were a team that would make it a ways but would run into a team like a la vega or a WOS and get beat. Carthage got on the right side of the bracket and has been demolishing some teams that are not the best competition.

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
I'm not sure that having the most speed guarantees you will demolish people.

No it doesn't, but it damn sure helps!
And as for "ball control", one team this year has succeeded in the ball control to keep Gilmer's offense off the field strategy. Final: Gilmer 28 Liberty-Eylau 14.

pirate4state
11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
A Region III win, probably, a bye into the championship, i doubt it. and just for the record that was not a Gilmer and/or Carthage fan's opinion. Just someone who likes to the stir the pot, imagine that! lol

GO BUCKEYES!!

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
and just for the record that was not a Gilmer and/or Carthage fan's opinion. Just someone who likes to the stir the pot, imagine that! lol

GO BUCKEYES!!

It's just a matter of different styles of football. Gilmer and Carthage light up the scoreboard and will happily participate in a shootout. The Reg IV teams are more grind it out and punish you with defense kinds of teams IMO.

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Just keep this in mind Carthage folks! Gilmer is not Tatum, Lorena, or Rockdale! You've got a whole different animal comin' at you this week!;)

Aesculus gilmus
11-30-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure there are any "Carthage folks" on here. I don't recall ever seeing any.

However, there are so many teams (and posters identified with said teams) calling themselves "Dawgs" that there could be a few.

mistanice
11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I'm not sure there are any "Carthage folks" on here. I don't recall ever seeing any.

However, there are so many teams (and posters identified with said teams) calling themselves "Dawgs" that there could be a few.

I went to yesterday's game and decided to sit on WOS side and not because I'm still bitter about the loss to Gilmer but because I didn't want to struggle to find a seat on the visitors side.

Next Saturday though, I will sit on Carthage side because I feel they will come out the winners. IMO;) BTW, who's the home team?

eagles_victory
11-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I just hope the field holds up after some hardcore ultimate Frisbee games

Aesculus gilmus
11-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
I went to yesterday's game and decided to sit on WOS side and not because I'm still bitter about the loss to Gilmer but because I didn't want to struggle to find a seat on the visitors side.

Next Saturday though, I will sit on Carthage side because I feel they will come out the winners. IMO;) BTW, who's the home team?

I've heard Gilmer is. That doesn't mean we are; only that I heard it.

Aesculus gilmus
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I've heard Gilmer is. That doesn't mean we are; only that I heard it.

The latest post on Smoaky says we are the visitors. So there you have it. We are either the home or visiting team. :D

There's also a lot of talk on there that Gilmer wanted the game played in Longview or Tyler.

easttexas3a
11-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I have a feeling all the talk is rubbish about why its at SFA. Makes sense to me that Gilmer wanted it to be at SFA cause we have had success their, and it would hold our fans, and Carthage wanted it their cause of the closeness. I think SFA also has much better facilities like the press box and locker rooms and stuff then Tyler Rose does. Longview was always out of the question as they never have games at LOBO while Longview is playing on that day.

BuckeyeNut
12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Looking over this weeks posts its funny to see the same thing as last week. Gilmer is good but will lose. Thing is that we keep right on winning. That game was over after the first series when they only got 3 points. WOS was in shock and when we put more points on them then anyone has all year i saw was a bunch of yelling players and coachs. So this hole week i will read everyone picking against the Bucks and then posting after that they new they could win LOL.

Week at a time.

Dont for get are #1 running back was not even playing.

Gilmer -45
Carthage-14

waterboy
12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
It was REALLY nice finally getting to meet some of y'all. Too bad it was from the OTHER side of the fence! I even got to sign the state-bound t-shirt!:D Pirate4state, I apologize for the little Freudian slip........I didn't stop and think first before I blurted that out....imagine that! I knew who it was, I was just flustered by the cop.:D Anyways, I hope to meet y'all, and some of the other posters on here, again later THIS year.

About this game.......Carthage, and their fans, have been talking about this matchup forever. They've been wanting to play Gilmer since last year, at least. All I can say is...........HERE WE ARE! Y'all have talked trash about it, talked about how bad y'all are gonna donkey-stomp the Buckeyes, NOW YOU GET THAT CHANCE! I have read so much trash-talking by people backing Carthage, whether their from Carthage or not, mostly on smoaky, that I'm GLAD they get their opportunity. It'll make it all the more sweet when the Buckeyes BEAT Carthage! And BEAT Carthage is what the Buckeyes WILL DO! Realistically speaking, it will be a monumental task, but I think the Buckeyes will take this game, and I don't care if it's by 1 point or 40 points so long as we get the win!

Go Buckeyes! Neuter dem Bullpuppies!

IHStangFan
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by sundevil
Until you see them play each other I don't believe anyone has an idea what to expect. :cool: and so then...neither do you.... :D

This should be an excellent game!! I will be curious to see the outcome. I was impressed w/ Gilmer's win over WOS. I would say they should be the favorite going into this game.

easttexas3a
12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
On Smoaky the poll has Carthage favored 57%-43%.

Buckeye1980
12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
OH MY!! This my friends is what HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL is all about. Me beloved Buckeyes against my wife's family's Bulldogs. ! It does not and will not get better than this !. I have made the mistake of pickin against my Buckeyes 3 times this year (Jasper- cause I thought we were young.....Chapel Hill -cause Tucker was a beast and I had a bad feeling.......WOS- cause I believe a great defense can win a game !) Call me a home but I will never pick against my Buckeyes again.....I have always believed but now it is more than that ...this TEAM is for real, it is a TEAM in all aspects. No superstars, 19 differnet reciever have caught a pass....4 different people have thrown TD passes ( I might be wrong , but that is my count!) Howmany different running backs have carried? I have lost count. The DEFENSE? Mexia was jus bad night , I really do believe that now , I had my doubts , but no more . D'field has its NATION but the BUCKEYES has its ARMY ! Could you imagine if they ever got together? GILMER 42 CARTHAGE 31......i HAVE HAD MY SAY BUT I AM SURE I WILL SAY MORE

thatboiwes
12-02-2008, 12:28 AM
I was worried last week against WOS and I picked against Gilmer, 28-21. I'm even more worried about Carthage because of how quickly they put points on the board. But this time, I'm not picking against them. I'm not even going to pick for them because I'm not going to try to pick a winner.

Gilmer's secondary will have to play great against Carthage. Gilmer has done a very good job in slowing down some really good running backs this year like M. Tucker and Q. Garrett. If we can shut down their running game or even really slow it down and force them to be one dimensional, then Gilmer will have a really good chance of winning. If we let them run and throw on us, then we are going to struggle to get the win. Our defense played a great game against a very good offense last week, so that is encouraging.

Gilmer is likely the favorite to win, only because they are more known and "established" all around the state. Anyone that even half-way follows high school football knows that this game will be no easy victory for either team. Whoever is left standing will know that they just went through and all-out war.

Jeremy Jackson should be back for this game which will add a little more spark to our offense.

mistanice
12-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by thatboiwes
I was worried last week against WOS and I picked against Gilmer, 28-21. I'm even more worried about Carthage because of how quickly they put points on the board. But this time, I'm not picking against them. I'm not even going to pick for them because I'm not going to try to pick a winner.

Gilmer's secondary will have to play great against Carthage. Gilmer has done a very good job in slowing down some really good running backs this year like M. Tucker and Q. Garrett. If we can shut down their running game or even really slow it down and force them to be one dimensional, then Gilmer will have a really good chance of winning. If we let them run and throw on us, then we are going to struggle to get the win. Our defense played a great game against a very good offense last week, so that is encouraging.

Gilmer is likely the favorite to win, only because they are more known and "established" all around the state. Anyone that even half-way follows high school football knows that this game will be no easy victory for either team. Whoever is left standing will know that they just went through and all-out war.

Jeremy Jackson should be back for this game which will add a little more spar
to our offense.

Will Triston be back for this game?

lostaussie
12-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Will Triston be back for this game? don't think he is hurt.............played well saturday except for the fumble on the 1st play of the 2nd half.

bigdaddy
12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Don't anybody kid yourself Coach Traylor will have his Team prepared as he always does. He has a great program and the past schedule won't matter now cause it's the playoffs and he'll be ready.

My pick is Gilmer hands down.

thatboiwes
12-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Will Triston be back for this game?

I believe you mean Jeremy Jackson. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he will be. He suited out last week, just didn't play. So my guess is that he could have if really needed, but didn't. Plus, he didn't practice all week and Coach Traylor normally doesn't play someone who hasn't practiced.

BuckeyeNut
12-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Jackson should be ready to play.

Think the Mexia game mostly run maybe 6 passes

WOS game mostly passing barely any running.

What will it be this game.

Always keep them guessing.

mistanice
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I believe you mean Jeremy Jackson. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he will be. He suited out last week, just didn't play. So my guess is that he could have if really needed, but didn't. Plus, he didn't practice all week and Coach Traylor normally doesn't play someone who hasn't practiced.

I meant #3 Triston I believe is his name. he was hurt early in the 2nd half and never returned. He has been playing a lot over the course of the season.

I saw him being helped on the sideline.

Pawdaddy
12-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I have stated on another thread that I expect a game similar to the 2004 State Championship game against Jasper, except that Carthage will fade in the second half. Gilmer 45 Jasper 31 sounds about right. A hard hitting defense like hit the field against WOS needs to show up for Gilmer. If that happens, it could be VERY high scoring on one side. That Gilmer/Jasper game was the 4th highest scoring playoff game in all of Texas high school football. This has the potential to rank up there as well. Should be fun to watch.

pirate4state
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
the thread on smoaky is classic

GO BUCKEYES!!!

thatboiwes
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I meant #3 Triston I believe is his name. he was hurt early in the 2nd half and never returned. He has been playing a lot over the course of the season.

I saw him being helped on the sideline.

Yeah, #3 is Tristan Holt. I noticed that he had come out and they started wrapping his ankle. I believe I remember him playing after that though. If he didn't return, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice.

thatboiwes
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM

GO BUCKEYES!!!

That it is. Mostly people predicting a Carthage blowout of Gilmer.

There will be several dissapointed Carthage fans Saturday night.

easttexas3a
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
I am going to make the trip to practice tonight, curious to see if the few banged up players we had are going to be good to go.

thatboiwes
12-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by easttexas3a
I am going to make the trip to practice tonight, curious to see if the few banged up players we had are going to be good to go.

I'll talk to my brother-in-law that is on the team and ask him about them.

mistanice
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I'll talk to my brother-in-law that is on the team and ask him about them.

Cool, let's get an honest injury report now! lol j/k

easttexas3a
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Look to me like every one was good to go. I didn't get to stay long but it looked like Jeremy was there, but not practicing much. Probably still recovering. Besides him nothing looked un normal.

Buckeye80
12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Just keep this one thing in mind. Having seen them both play, WOS has a much better defense than does Carthage. Scoring against Carthage is not going to be a problem for the Buckeyes.
As for their offense, #20, Dwight Smith, is a big kid with good speed. He has been a very effective runner against "speedless" defenses, but Gilmer has the ability to frustrate and contain him.
Si'Darius Blackshire is the real deal at QB provided that he gets the opportunity to throw. Listening to the Rockdale/Carthage game, it sounded like the Tigers were able to get some pressure on him and force him to throw before he wanted to. As in the game versus Kilgore, his accuracy suffered because of the pressure. Gilmer will pressure him more than Rockdale did.

All in all, I don't really feel like this game is anything that should raise red flags for us. Carthage is very good, but in my opinion, we played the best team in the region last Saturday. We have shone in adverse conditions so far in the playoffs and are "battle-tested" as a result. Carthage has yet to be challenged in the playoffs, and Gilmer is not a good team to face your first "test" against.
I think the Buckeyes get up early, go for the jugular, lay on the accelerator for a bit, then coast home late.

My official prediction will come later in the week.:)

poisoned10
12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Just keep this one thing in mind. Having seen them both play, WOS has a much better defense than does Carthage. Scoring against Carthage is not going to be a problem for the Buckeyes.
As for their offense, #20, Dwight Smith, is a big kid with good speed. He has been a very effective runner against "speedless" defenses, but Gilmer has the ability to frustrate and contain him.
Si'Darius Blackshire is the real deal at QB provided that he gets the opportunity to throw. Listening to the Rockdale/Carthage game, it sounded like the Tigers were able to get some pressure on him and force him to throw before he wanted to. As in the game versus Kilgore, his accuracy suffered because of the pressure. Gilmer will pressure him more than Rockdale did.

All in all, I don't really feel like this game is anything that should raise red flags for us. Carthage is very good, but in my opinion, we played the best team in the region last Saturday. We have shone in adverse conditions so far in the playoffs and are "battle-tested" as a result. Carthage has yet to be challenged in the playoffs, and Gilmer is not a good team to face your first "test" against.
I think the Buckeyes get up early, go for the jugular, lay on the accelerator for a bit, then coast home late.

My official prediction will come later in the week.:)

Honestly, I would prefer that over winning late in the game. Hopefully your assesment it spot on.

I doubt that we 'coast' to victory though. I say it's a high scorer similar to Gilmer - Canton of '05.

pirate4state
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
36-16 in favor of Gilmer

eagles_victory
12-03-2008, 02:52 PM
36-16 in favor of Gilmer I think both teams will fight, fight, fight.

poisoned10
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
For a completely unbiased preview of the game, check out the link below:

3A Game of the Year Approaches (http://www.panolawatchman.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=142&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=8040&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2100&hn=panolawatchman&he=.com)

waterboy
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by poisoned10

3A Game of the Year Approaches (http://www.panolawatchman.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=142&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=8040&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2100&hn=panolawatchman&he=.com)
That's about as homeristic as it gets! That's some good bulletin board material...........as if the Buckeyes needed it! Carthage has wanted to play Gilmer for a long time. Well, they've got their wish! It's gonna be especially sweet when the Buckeyes beat 'em! What will their excuse be when they lose this BIG game? There's gonna be alot of disappointed Bulldog fans when this game is over Saturday night!;) :D

pirate4state
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I think both teams will fight, fight, fight.

:)

That wasn't my score prediction. Those were the results of the 3ADL poll.

poisoned10
12-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
That's about as homeristic as it gets! That's some good bulletin board material...........as if the Buckeyes needed it! Carthage has wanted to play Gilmer for a long time. Well, they've got their wish! It's gonna be especially sweet when the Buckeyes beat 'em! What will their excuse be when they lose this BIG game? There's gonna be alot of disappointed Bulldog fans when this game is over Saturday night!;) :D

I guess that's just how they roll over in "C-Town." Humility is not their best feature.

pirate4state
12-03-2008, 05:13 PM

3A Game of the Year Approaches (http://www.panolawatchman.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=142&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=8040&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=2100&hn=panolawatchman&he=.com) HAHA I love it! :clap: :clap:

GO BUCKEYES!!!

buff4ever
12-03-2008, 10:51 PM
I wasn't going to meddle in this thread this week, but I will come stir the pot a little. I am not even sure that there are any carthage posters posting on here, but if so let's stir.

All I have read on the two threads that have anything to do with the giddings/bellville game is that the winner will have to play gilmer next week. I guess my question is, has carthage forfeited this game and I haven't heard?

Carthage the last time I checked has not had much trouble to this point yet, I wouldn't rule them out of the game. I would pick gilmer to win this game, but I don't know that I would say carthage won't make a game of it and they may even have a chance to win.

necks
12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Carthage wins

Reason 1- Their O Line
Reason 2- Dwight Smith

lostaussie
12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by necks
Carthage wins

Reason 1- Their O Line
Reason 2- Dwight Smith

see previous
(1) Chapel Hill o-line
(2) Matthew Tucker

waterboy
12-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
see previous
(1) Chapel Hill o-line
(2) Matthew Tucker
Yeah, I think they are pretty equal to Chapel Hill in those areas. The biggest difference is that Carthage can throw the ball, but I think if the Buckeyes can contain the run and put pressure on Blackshire, he'll buckle under the pressure. That's been his M.O. from what I understand, if under pressure he will make mistakes. Also, oldbuckeye#62 showed up over on smoaky and invoked the tinkers dang hex on Carthage, so that should daze and confuse them enough for the Buckeyes to pull out the win!;)

easttexas3a
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I wasn't going to meddle in this thread this week, but I will come stir the pot a little. I am not even sure that there are any carthage posters posting on here, but if so let's stir.

All I have read on the two threads that have anything to do with the giddings/bellville game is that the winner will have to play gilmer next week. I guess my question is, has carthage forfeited this game and I haven't heard?

Carthage the last time I checked has not had much trouble to this point yet, I wouldn't rule them out of the game. I would pick gilmer to win this game, but I don't know that I would say carthage won't make a game of it and they may even have a chance to win.

There are no Carthage fans on this board, the only reason that Gilmer is favored so heavily here. And also statewide we are the much more known program then Carthage. On the east texas forum over on smoaky they lead the poll 82-55 or something liek that and are being heavily favored to win by most people outside of the gilmer-longview area.

waterboy
12-04-2008, 01:39 PM
The poll over there is showing:

Carthage 83
Gilmer 69

The gap is closing.:thumbsup:

P.S. We lost the poll last week, too, and we know how that turned out!:D

poisoned10
12-04-2008, 03:32 PM
If Gilmer does happen to lose to Carthage, I'm not looking forward to all the Carthage people that will be yelling we told you so and Gilmer is overrated and all of that nonsense.

They sure are a cocky bunch.

Buckeye80
12-04-2008, 07:07 PM

I guess we might as well forfeit! I'll offer my prediction now.

Carthage 912
Gilmer -6

And that's only if Carthage plays the backups the whole game. Look out 83 Daingerfield! The 08 Carthage Sheriffs are about to supplant you!:D :D :D

What kind of moron is the jackhole that wrote that poop cannon article?

pirate4state
12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I guess we might as well forfeit! I'll offer my prediction now.

Carthage 912
Gilmer -6

And that's only if Carthage plays the backups the whole game. Look out 83 Daingerfield! The 08 Carthage Sheriffs are about to supplant you!:D :D :D

What kind of moron is the jackhole that wrote that poop cannon article? I told you!!! Now get back to work! :mad:

Rocket Dad
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Talked to O-line coach at Kilgore who played both - he said Carthage in a close one. My prediction is Carthage 34 Gilmer 27.

mistanice
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Talked to O-line coach at Kilgore who played both - he said Carthage in a close one. My prediction is Carthage 34 Gilmer 27.

I talked to Diboll players and Coaches and they said Carthage as well. Doesn't really matter what they think, but it's fun to argue about!

Buckeye80
12-04-2008, 09:30 PM
***FIFTH-ROUND PLAYOFF INFORMATION HERE***

Class 3-A, Division II Region 3 & 4 Semi-finals:

(12-2) Carthage vs. (13-1) Giddings, Saturday 2:30pm, Bower Stadium, Huntsville

Just saw this this posted on Smoaky. Damn those Carthage fans are something else. And for anyone who was not aware, the word "dawg" can be used as an adjective!! LMAO

Gilmer 44
Carthage 20

BuckeyeNut
12-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Gilmer 62
Carthage 21

All these talk is just giving Taylor fuel for the fire he loves tell his boys that they are underdogs and everyone has picked them to lose big. It will be 100mph the whole game

GO BUCKS!!!!!!

poisoned10
12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
It's going to be a fun one tomorrow night. Clear skies, low 40's and maybe a slight breeze. Great football weather.

I hope the fans are like they were last week. That game was the most fun I've ever had at a high school football game. Normally, I'm always being told to sit down because the people behind me can't see through me. Well, then stand your ... up!! I'm not much for sitting down, especially in big games like this one. I sat down for a grand total of about 1/2 a second at last weeks game, not including halftime. That's only because I didn't realize what I was doing and immidiately stood right back up.

Buckeye P.R.I.D.E.

gobbler grad
12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
after last week, Gilmer runs the gauntlet...:clap:

and wins by 21 tomorrow night

easttexas3a
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I need to get my prediction out there.

Gilmer 42 Carthage 35

Can't wait til tomorrow

Buckeye80
12-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Gilmer 42 Carthage 35

Can't wait til tomorrow

Have to cheer for two man! I'll be in Louisiana tomorrow. God bless the absolutely inconsistent scheduling in the oilfield!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

dirtydan
12-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Gilmer 42 Carthage 35

Can't wait til tomorrow

the juggernaut just keeps right on rolling.

emileq
12-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Just tossing in my guess. Gilmer seems to have it all together this year. I don't see them pushed to the wall until they play LH, (assuming we beat BPort). If/when Gilmer and LH meet again, i'm going to flip a coin. I'll root for the homies, but it's anyone's game.

buff4life
12-06-2008, 05:44 PM

GO BUCKEYES!!!

how much was your ticket to get on the bandwagon??? :thinking:

buff4life
12-06-2008, 05:47 PM
If Gilmer does happen to lose to Carthage, I'm not looking forward to all the Carthage people that will be yelling we told you so and Gilmer is overrated and all of that nonsense.

They sure are a cocky bunch.

pot and kettle sir pot and kettle

buff4life
12-06-2008, 05:49 PM
pretty sure that can't be right even if carthage wins...

A we're not 12-1 and B i've heard corsicana

LHHS/LSHPanther
12-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by necks
Carthage wins

Reason 1- Their O Line
Reason 2- Dwight Smith

How many returners from last years Carthage Team?

Final 4 -

Region 1 - Liberty Hill
Region 2 - Celina
Region 3 - Gilmer
Region 4 - Giddings

Buckeye80
12-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by buff4life

A State title and State Championship appearance can do that to you.

buff4life
12-06-2008, 07:35 PM
A State title and State Championship appearance can do that to you.

then don't complain about another team being cocky

Buckeye80
12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
then don't complain about another team being cocky

Does it look like my name is "poisoned10"?

loyalleopard
12-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Can someone give the link to this game? Thought I had it but can't find it. It is going to be broadcasted on the website, isn't it? Good luck to both, but have to side with the DAWGS this time. Should be one hell of a game. Wish i could have made it there.

buff4life
12-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Does it look like my name is "poisoned10"?

nope but it sure doesn't look like your disagreeing with him, so effectively it doesn't matter what his or you name is

Aesculus gilmus
12-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by loyalleopard
Can someone give the link to this game? Thought I had it but can't find it. It is going to be broadcasted on the website, isn't it? Good luck to both, but have to side with the DAWGS this time. Should be one hell of a game. Wish i could have made it there.

Here are three different links to three different broadcasts here:

http://www.gilmerbuckeyes.com/ezstream.html

http://www.kmoo.com

http://www.teamline.cc/sportpage?teamcode=4272&eventcode=20

Dogman_1969
12-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
Carthage in a high scoring game............

I was right on.............

eagles_victory
12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
I was right on............. 31-28 isnt really that high scoring. Carthage had a few key turnovers that left the door open for Gilmer but made a big defensive play to salvage it.

Aesculus gilmus
12-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Congrats to Carthage. It really sounded as if they were the better team and the game was probably not as close as the score indicates.

The Buckeyes'll be back again ... and again ... and again. Going out in the fourth round is a great accomplishment.

Maybe Chapel Hill will miss the playoffs next year and we can return to Division I. That seemed to be an easier road to state this year. But then it might not next year. You just never know.

poisoned10
12-07-2008, 02:34 AM

I'm not cocky at all. Take a look at anything I've said on here, or on Smoaky.com, I'm "poisonednutz10" over there. You will see that I'm far from cocky.

I actually picked Gilmer to lose to WOS last week and didn't even pick a winner for this game.

So sorry, but no, I'm not the pot calling the kettle black...."sir."

poisoned10
12-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Ugh...

The wife is kicking me off the computer for the night. I'll be back on probably Monday to give my thoughts on the game.

Until then... Congrats Carthage! You guys have an amazing team! Good luck next week.

eagles_victory
12-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Not about the game but a Gilmer cheerleader hit some guy right in the face with a little football and she threw it hard and it knocked the guys glasses off I felt bad. Also do yall Gilmer folks know of a fan who constantly yells the same thing like Hit em and run it?

pirate4state
12-08-2008, 03:28 PM
how much was your ticket to get on the bandwagon??? :thinking: i'll never tell