PDA

View Full Version : researching the BCS formula

Russki
11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
The BCS Rankings are comprised of the USA Today Coaches Poll, the Harris Poll, and the BCS computers. Each poll makes up 1/3 of the overall BCS Ranking. Here is what I was able to come up with:

1) USA Today Coaches Poll - The USA Today Coaches Poll is comprised of 61 Division I head coaches who are all members of the American Football Coaches Association. They vote weekly and rank the teams.

2) Harris Poll - The Harris Poll is comprised of 114 voters. Some of these voters are former coaches, players, and administrators. Others are current and former members of the media. They vote weekly and rank the teams.

3) BCS Computers - The BCS Computer Rankings are actually the sum of 6 different ranking systems:

A) Jeff Sagarin - The Sagarin Ratings look at win/loss records, strength of schedule vs. current top 10 & top 30 teams, and score margin.
B) Anderson & Hester - The Anderson & Hester Ratings look at
win/loss records, strength of schedule vs. current top 10 & top 25 teams, and schedule rank.
C) Richard Billingsly - The Billingsly Ratings compute a "power rating" based on pre-season rank, accumulating points, strength of opponent, instituting deductions for losses, rewarding defense,
site of the game, and instituting head to head rules.
D) Colley Matrix - The Colley Matrix Ratings give no weight to pre-season polls or margin of victory. These ratings work off of win/loss records and they adjust for strength of schedule.
E) Kenneth Massey - The Massey Ratings look at pre-season ratings to give the computer a place to start. After that, it is based on win/loss records, strength of schedule, conference ratings, and GOF, which stands for game outcome function. The GOF includes change in ranking since previous update, overall team rating, power rating, offensive power, defensive power, estimated home advantage, and estimated standard deviation of performance.
F) Peter Wolfe - The Peter Wolfe Ratings rank teams based on a "maximum likelihood estimate". In other words, each team is assigned a rating value that predicts an expected result between itself and the opponent.
Now if you guys can figure all of this out, good luck! I'm not sure I can, but I think that I have a little better picture now.