PDA

View Full Version : Celina"s DOOMSDAY DEFENSE

bigdaddy
11-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Celina"s DOOMSDAY DEFENSE Just like the Cowboys of old. Way to step it up Bobcats.

sabre1
11-30-2008, 10:13 AM
What are they running? I knew a guy from Celina and he said something like a 10 - 1 defense. Don't know exactly what that is.

gatordaze
11-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Its a gimmick defense invented 20 sumthin years ago by Celina's coach. Nothing to worry about it really won't work in 3A.

PPHSfan
11-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Its a gimmick defense invented 20 sumthin years ago by Celina's coach. Nothing to worry about it really won't work in 3A.

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

LHPfactory
11-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, thats funny, If (and i believe they will) Celina and LH survive this week, the semis (DII: RI vs RII) will be a game and a half. Both teams know how to win at this time of year and i believe that game will produce the eventual DII Champ. Just my 3 cents.

bobcat1
11-30-2008, 11:50 AM
:ditto: :D
I know Celina has to stop Kaufman with it this week. If Celina is fortunate enough to win again, then we have to face Bulls or Panthers with only the "gimmick" to stop those powerful teams. :eek:

LHPfactory
11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze

Yeah the 10-1, 9-1-1, Gap 8 or what ever you want to call it is great, but you have to have 11 guys on the field that will win their assignments. If a man breaks the line its in trouble, however, Celina knows how to win the LOS. This defense is very effective against the sweep as well.

I actually used the 10-1/9-2 defense this year coaching my second graders team.......... we went all the way to the championship game,,,, lost, however we limited the other team to less points than anyone else did this season (shut them out in the second half and allowed no conversions on extra point attempts). That was the only team we lost to all year... and we were the only 3A school playing with the big boys.

bobcat1
11-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by LHPfactory
Yeah the 10-1, 9-1-1, Gap 8 or what ever you want to call it is great, but you have to have 11 guys on the field that will win their assignments. If a man breaks the line its in trouble, however, Celina knows how to win the LOS. This defense is very effective against the sweep as well.

I actually used the 10-1/9-2 defense this year coaching my second graders team.......... we went all the way to the championship game,,,, lost, however we limited the other team to less points than anyone else did this season (shut them out in the second half and allowed no conversions on extra point attempts). That was the only team we lost to all year... and we were the only 3A school playing with the big boys.

Awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:

cr180t
11-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Great scheme, but more then that is the belief the players have in it. Just my take. TOTAL committment

marler1972
11-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by cr180t
Great scheme, but more then that is the belief the players have in it. Just my take. TOTAL committment

Well we start running that D in pee wee so they do believe in it.

OrangeChamps
11-30-2008, 05:01 PM
The 10-1, or 10-1 special (which is ran more than the straight 10-1) is an extremely effective defense if run correctly. However, as seen this season, if it is not run correctly it will lead to big plays. Keys to the defense are:

1)Good cover men who can handle man-to-man.
2)Good line that puts pressure on QB and keeps linemen off backers.
3)Linebackers that run downhill and don't miss tackles.

A couple of the best matchups I've seen this defense face was LH in '06 and Mart in '00. Each teams potent offenses broke big plays on the Bobcats, but the majority of the game was shut down after shut down. Both games were a toss up but afterwards each of those two teams knew that they had been in a constant struggle the whole game.

coachkiss
11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Most of the pee wee teams don't run it. Just an FYI.

The 10-1 defense has evolved so much over the years out of necessity. When you were facing veer and wing-T teams all of the time, you could sit in the true 10-1 and run it. Then , the 10-1 special came about.

Now there are several variations. However, it is really a 50 look most of the time, with the ability to move into a split look if necessary.

However, it is much easier to come on here and spout about the 10-1 because most of the people won't call you on it, because it's been repeated so often that no one wants to say differently.

8HR
11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
What's the difference in the 10-1 and the 10-1 special?

BobcatBenny
11-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Celina's defense is solid. It is ok to label it what you want, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

"Doomsday" is not going to stick.

coachc45
11-30-2008, 06:10 PM
coachkiss-- you are the man! Having played at Celina for GA and Butch and also coached against them.. I respect your opinion very much. What percentage of the time would you say Celina is in the 10-1/10-1 Special as opposed to the 50 look and split?

People think that Celina sits in that 10-1 all the time, but I have always argued that it is really alot lower percentage than Celina folks care to admit.

coachkiss
11-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Late in the games, I don't watch alignments an awful lot, so I could be wrong on my percentages. Also, I'm chasing kids around, etc. With that being said, I would say that we very rarely ran the straight 10-1, if at all. I don't remember seeing it all season.

The 10-1 special and variants of the 10-1 special get used a lot. I don't know what they label them these days, but I would say about 60-75% of the time they are in some 50 look (I call anything with a nose a 50 look), and the rest of time is in some sort of split look.

I guess I have seen some 10-1 looks in goalline and short yardage situations.

What they are doing is effective. The kids are really getting better at it every week. At some point in every season, the light bulb comes on. Last year, it was after the Princeton game. That game looked a lot like this year's Prosper game, but we were facing a team that didn't have as much firepower.

This year, I felt things really started to click with the Argyle game, and they haven't really stopped. With the myriad of different offenses that Celina has faced this year, it has been a tougher year. Couple that with an injury or two, inexperience on the defensive line, and a tough schedule, and Celina's defense has looked a little iffy at times. It is really starting to look good.

In the last game vs. Pleasant Grove, it looked really good for a while. Once Celina got up by 28, there seemed to be a lot of missed tackles. Some penalties, some big plays by Pleasant Grove, and maybe a little mental letdown, led to Pleasant Grove gaining some momentum.

I think this has been the hardest year for the Celina coaches. There were more variables this year than over the past few years. When I looked at some of our personnel at the first scrimmage, I admit that I was a little worried. Now many of those kids are kids that I don't think we can afford to lose. If Celina does nothing from here on out, and I think they will do well, I have been impressed with the progress I have seen. There have been many times that these kids could have given up, quit, or started to doubt themselves and their coaches. However, you can't argue with what they are doing now.

marler1972
12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
Most of the pee wee teams don't run it. Just an FYI.

The 10-1 defense has evolved so much over the years out of necessity. When you were facing veer and wing-T teams all of the time, you could sit in the true 10-1 and run it. Then , the 10-1 special came about.

Now there are several variations. However, it is really a 50 look most of the time, with the ability to move into a split look if necessary.

However, it is much easier to come on here and spout about the 10-1 because most of the people won't call you on it, because it's been repeated so often that no one wants to say differently.

Well if I am not mistaken the 5th and 6th grade ran it.

GreenMonster
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 8HR
What's the difference in the 10-1 and the 10-1 special? The 10-1 Special is a 50 look. It's almost really a split 6 with a nose. Cover 1. The true 10-1 is 7 d-line, 2 corners, 1 backer that plays tight, and 1 safety at 7 yards that is playing a deep linebacker. Also Cover 1.

coachkiss
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
The 5th and 6th grade ran 10-1 Special (the 50 look) most of the time.

Now, there may be 100 different variations on the 10-1, but the true 10-1 (the original one) isn't run much anymore.

They may call it 10-1 Special or Buddy or something, but that is just a name. You could teach the kids the "Wing-T" but call it the "I". That doesn't stop it from being the Wing-T.

BILLYFRED0000
12-01-2008, 01:07 PM
first and second ran a 10-1 most of the time although ocasionally we would go to a split look. The superbowl played the 10-1 true most of the time.
Did not give up a first down. If you got boys that can shoot those gaps(we had two that were almost unblockable and if you did block them they were still in your backfield) it works like a charm. That is if your lb and safety never miss. Ours rarely did.

BobcatBenny
12-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
first and second ran a 10-1 most of the time although ocasionally we would go to a split look. The superbowl played the 10-1 true most of the time.
Did not give up a first down. If you got boys that can shoot those gaps(we had two that were almost unblockable and if you did block them they were still in your backfield) it works like a charm. That is if your lb and safety never miss. Ours rarely did.
That is a little cold blooded in Pee Wee ball. :(

Especially considering it is tough to have a passing game with 1st and 2nd graders.

Fundamentals and sportsmanship. Not System.

BILLYFRED0000
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
That is a little cold blooded in Pee Wee ball. :(

Especially considering it is tough to have a passing game with 1st and 2nd graders.

Fundamentals and sportsmanship. Not System.

hey don't kill the messenger. We are teaching them fundamentals.
Gunter also played the 10-1. We scored 21 points to their 0. I would put it to you that it is not the system but the players ability to play within the system that counts.

Silverback 04
12-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Our little league guys ran the Slot-T against a team here in Austin that ran the 10-1, beat 'em 22-19. Yuk Yuk!

d0tc0m
12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
What a disgusting score.

Silverback 04
12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
What a disgusting score.

Sorry, its Monday and i needed something to make me laugh. In truth, a couple of our teams do try to run the Slot-T. If you think its confusing watching it at the high school level, you should get a load of 5th and 6th graders running it. Knuckleheads running all over the place with zero understanding of whats going on. Hillarious! They don't really care, just that its what the Panthers run so it must be cool.

d0tc0m
12-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Haha I can only imagine! If the cards fall the right way this week, we could be staring down the barrel of an '06 rematch. That would be fun!

BILLYFRED0000
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
that would be great to see. I love the slot T and like the lh guys. They know good football when they see it. Bport will be a good challenge for them.

BobcatBenny
12-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Our little league guys ran the Slot-T against a team here in Austin that ran the 10-1, beat 'em 22-19. Yuk Yuk!
I would just want to know which first or second grader actually hit the amazingly lucky field goal at the end of the game? :thinking:

:D

Silverback 04
12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
3 TD's, 3 missed xtra points, and 2 safeties. So it looks like our kicker is on pace to hit his first field goal in the 2017 State Championship game, more than likely against the orange guys.

d0tc0m
12-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Well I doubt Celina will be 3A by 2017 at the rate the area is growing, as sad as it is. But hopefully we will see you in the state championship in 2017 regardless of classification!

bigdaddy
12-02-2008, 09:10 AM
The intent of the statement Doomsday Defense was not to defense any particular formations or to defense the slot T , it was only a statement that the Bobcats defense has really matured and has REALLY gotten very AGGRESSIVE and very stingy on defense. The confidence and belief in the system is rolling.

The boys have worked hard and the Coaches have worked hard through injuries and adjusting the boys in figuring out who will step it up where and get it done.

With as many Seniors as we lost last year and as many positions as we had to fill ALL the boys are working hard playing tough and the defense is flat getting after it and making really big plays in really critical situations that really control the flow of the game and really are frustrating teams by shutting them down and turning them away. 3 and out goes along way so Doomsday is quite fitting !!

Twirling Time
12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Kennedale runs a lot of Nasty Slot and so did Bonham last year. I think Kaufman runs a lot out of that look also.

So Celina has seen it since '06. But they won't see it run as well as LH (if they get to meet next week). It'll be interesting.

PPSTATEBOUND
12-03-2008, 01:00 PM
The 10-1 waqs started at China Springs in the late 70's and helped them oust PP late in the 79' payoffs, that ......G.A. perfected it the next year "80" at PP and the rest is history.

Great defense, but very beatable.

bigdaddy
12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Beatable ? Any defense is beatable BUT if your players are locked in and playing as hard as the Celina Defense has of late I believe they'll get after it, play aggressive and will dominate.

bigdaddy
12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
The Bobcat Defense will come thru this week so not looking past this game BUT I'm ready to go to WACO or where ever we need to go !!!
The Doomsday Defense will be strong !

bigdaddy
12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Doomsday is ready for blast off !!