PDA

View Full Version : So my thoughts on the Gilmer WO-S game.

Necks_Fan
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
First off the M&G was cool. Met Buckeye80, waterboy, lostsussie, 88bobcats/griff/wos1/ and I already met p4s before.

Now down to business.

Gilmer is GOOD!!!! Much better than I thought they were and Godfrey can throw the deep ball better than any other 3A qb I have evr seen.

WO-S = tough night for them.

2 Ints, a fumble and probably half a dozen DROPPED passes, 1 of which was a TD.

That being, Gilmer was the better team and anyone who says different is full of crap.

Gilmer looked VERY good passing the ball and WO-S run D was great. Secondary got burned several times, mainly due to no pressure up front.

:clap: :clap: :clap: to the Gilmer O line.

Gilmer's D= WAY better than they get credit for.

Congrats to the Buckeyes on the W (Any team that plays y'all will have their hands FULL)

Congrats to the Stangs on a great season.

Both crowds impressed. PACKED that little stadium from top to bottom. Standing room only!:clap:

I might make it to the Gilmer/Carthage game next week.:eek:

Buckeye80
11-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Nice to meet you too man! I always enjoy putting a face with the comments on this board.
Thanks for the compliments, and I have already begun "house hunting" the Gilmer area for ya.:D

Hope to see ya next week. Go Buckeyes!!

Necks_Fan
11-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Nice to meet you too man! I always enjoy putting a face with the comments on this board.
Thanks for the compliments, and I have already begun "house hunting" the Gilmer area for ya.:D

Hope to see ya next week. Go Buckeyes!! Lol. Man, I never have bad things to say about teams that play good ball like that.

Shoot, if y'all keep winning year in and year out like y'all do, i might just have to move up there. :cool:
Nah, but seriously, Gilmer is as good offensively as I've seen from a 3A school, and above average on D.:clap:

Crimestick
11-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Gilmer had a very strong passing game, and I'd put them second to the top of my 3A opponents teams in offense, with Wimberly 05 being the best.

Stownhorse
11-29-2008, 10:59 PM

Hope to see ya next week. Go Buckeyes!!

That sig is kinda gruesome.

Necks_Fan
11-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Gilmer had a very strong passing game, and I'd put them second to the top of my 3A opponents teams in offense, with Wimberly 05 being the best. Yep. I agree. The best 3a offense I have ever seen was 05 Wimberley, and this Gilmer squad ain't far behind. Their starting RB didn't play!!!

Where were you when we did the M&G?

And speaking of that.... WHERE WAS WOS87?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:mad: I wanted to meet him.;)

mistanice
11-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Yep. I agree. The best 3a offense I have ever seen was 05 Wimberley, and this Gilmer squad ain't far behind. Their starting RB didn't play!!!

Where were you when we did the M&G?

And speaking of that.... WHERE WAS WOS87?!?!?!?!?!?!?

:mad: I wanted to meet him.;)

I thought he was going to wear a jersey with WOS87 on the back. BTW I sat on WOS side!

Necks_Fan
11-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
I thought he was going to wear a jersey with WOS87 on the back. BTW I sat on WOS side! AGH!!! Where were you????? :mad:

;)

Buckeye80
11-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
That sig is kinda gruesome.

It's just what we try to do. It doesn't always work out.

So can everyone agree to just ignore the defensive performance in the 2nd half against Mexia from now on?:D

crabman
11-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Godfrey can throw the deep ball better than any other 3A qb I have evr seen.

Last week you said Tyler Arndt was the best 3A quarterback you had ever seen. How do these two stack up?

How does Cuero as a team stack up to Gilmer. We stacked up pretty good against LaFeria.

BigBrother
11-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Gilmer had a very strong passing game, and I'd put them second to the top of my 3A opponents teams in offense, with Wimberly 05 being the best.

You obviously never saw the Gilmer 2006 offense. They may have lost in the first round that year to the eventual state champs, but that offense was the highest scoring in class 3A history averaging 53.64 points per game.

That offense put up 5,654 yards in only 11 games or 514 total yards per game!

Gilmer had 6 DI players on that offense.

If only the defense that year had been a little better....

Crimestick
11-30-2008, 07:45 AM
It's just what we try to do. It doesn't always work out.

So can everyone agree to just ignore the defensive performance in the 2nd half against Mexia from now on?:D

Definitely not! In fact, when we came out in the third and went from "totally out of it" to "seemingly bound to win it," I thought about that. If Gilmer is going to win it all this year, they have to follow what your sig says. The last two weeks, they've put a foot on the throat, applied pressure, noticed a butterfly flying by and looked back down to find themselves missing half a foot - then shrieked and dragged themselves to the finish line with the opponent nearly hanging by its teeth.

Yes, they were the better team, but from this point on, they can't let up like they did against BOTH Mexia and WO-S.

griff
11-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Congratulations to Gilmer. They were the better team.

I said on a separate post that WO-S had to do four things to win it - 1) good execution on offense, 2) smart playcalling on offense, 3) limit Gilmer's big plays, and 4) no turnovers. Item #2 was the one I was most concerned about, but it turned out to be fine. We failed on all the other three.

In the first half, we dropped too many passes, at least two of them would have been for TDs (and the trick play in the second half could have been a score of the RB would have not rushed his pass). In the second half, too many turnovers.

WO-S's offense is good, but we have a small margin of error to work with. Gilmer's pass offense was very efficient and more than enough beat us. They deserved the win.

Nice to meet you Buckeye80, lostaussie, waterboy, and necks_fan. I hope we get another shot at your team next year. If we had to lose, here's hoping it was to the eventual state champs. Go win it!

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by crabman
Last week you said Tyler Arndt was the best 3A quarterback you had ever seen. How do these two stack up?

How does Cuero as a team stack up to Gilmer. We stacked up pretty good against LaFeria. As a whole, Tyler Arndt is better than Godfrey IMO. BUT Godfrey's accuracy on the deep ball is REDICULOUS. About 5 or 6 times he lais it PERFECTLY over the should on 40+ yd passes. Never once did he throw a ball downfield that wasn't catchable.

Arndt to me is a better QB with less talent around him. I think he makes a bit better decisions, can a run a bit better than Godfrey(Or maybe it was the WO-S D keepeing him in check because they did TRY to run him alot), and I think he has a bit stronger arm than Godfrey.

By no means is Godfrey not a great QB, you just asked for my opinion on the 2. They are the 2 best in 3A that I have seen. (I didn;t see Pachall at Brownwood).

As a team, I think Gilmer is close to Cuero. I do give the edge to Gilmer because I think they have more talent overall and the coaching is superb, not to say that Cuero's isn't, but they put on a SHOW offensively against the BEST defense in 3A. It was VERY impressive.

They are close, but I give the nod to Gilmer over any team I have seen, including Navasota.:)

Silverback 04
11-30-2008, 11:23 AM
I've seen both Pachall and Godfrey play and I think Pachall is the much better QB. He is the best passer I've seen since Mcgee @ Burnett. Godfrey is also a terriffic high school QB but has a very odd looking throwing motion sort of like Vince Young. Godfrey has shown to be a winner against some very good teams, so I guess you could say he is sort of like old Bernie Kosar, throws an ugly pass but wins. I would take that. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing the Cuero kid unless he played against LH last year.

Rocket Dad
11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't believe the defense of Gilmer "let up" vs. Mexia or WOS, these teams are very good teams - give them credit. Mexia put up over 500 yards of offense on Gilmer - that is impressive.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Well my pick going into the game was Gilmer 35-14

I was told by everyone in chat that night how there was no way Gilmer would put 35 on Stark

I think it is safe to say Gilmer has an O that can move on most teams

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I think it is safe to say Gilmer has an O that can move on most teams

Gilmer, when playing like they did last night, can move the ball on anybody!

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Gilmer, when playing like they did last night, can move the ball on anybody!

except Celina of course :rolleyes:

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
except Celina of course :rolleyes:

The Steelers couldn't move the ball on the "doomsday defense"!! ROFL

Celina is gonna beat the crap out of Kaufman and then get rolled once out of the friendly confines of Reg II. God forbid it ends up being Celina vs Gilmer in the Finals!!! Gilmer's offense will donkey stomp Celina's vaunted defense!:clap:

charlesrixey
11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
The Steelers couldn't move the ball on the "doomsday defense"!! ROFL

Celina is gonna beat the crap out of Kaufman and then get rolled once out of the friendly confines of Reg II. God forbid it ends up being Celina vs Gilmer in the Finals!!! Gilmer's offense will donkey stomp Celina's vaunted defense!:clap:

i don't know who is saying anything about Celina in the title game yet

our defense has improved mightily over the course of the season, but this is still a young and growing group

Celina should beat Kaufman, but i doubt any impartial observer is going to put the Bobcats within 14 points of LH (i think bridgeport would be a mite closer) in a prediction, which is fine

this isn't to say Celina would lose for sure, but the bobcats will be the decided underdog once they leave region II

i would put celina behind LH, BP, Carthage, and Gilmer in DII right now, ahead of bellville, giddings and kaufman (not in any particular order)

probably #6-8 overall

until the bobcats win against one of the r-1 teams, they are not in the top 5

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

probably #6-8 overall

until the bobcats win against one of the r-1 teams, they are not in the top 5

And I suppose that you really expect us to believe that you think this is true. :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2008, 01:16 PM
And I suppose that you really expect us to believe that you think this is true. :thinking:

Ole Rixey is one of the Celina fans that is honest about his team

WOS1
11-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
I've seen both Pachall and Godfrey play and I think Pachall is the much better QB. He is the best passer I've seen since Mcgee @ Burnett. Godfrey is also a terriffic high school QB but has a very odd looking throwing motion sort of like Vince Young. Godfrey has shown to be a winner against some very good teams, so I guess you could say he is sort of like old Bernie Kosar, throws an ugly pass but wins. I would take that. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing the Cuero kid unless he played against LH last year.

I have to disagree with you on the "ugly pass" thing. I haven't seen the other kids you speak of, but I've been around this game for a long time. Godfrey has throws a beautiful ball. Perfect spiral that is very catchable and puts it right on the money most of the time. He is a pure passer, Vince Young was not and saw Young once his junior year and twice his senior year. They are different players with different styles. Godfrey is the best I've seen in quite a while.

While I'm on the subject, he is also a class player as are the rest of the Gilmer players. I never saw a bit of taunting going on during the game and the entire team consoled the WOS players after the game before celebrating their victory. Very, very classy. From a Mustang fan and parent, I appreciate that.

Keystonepride
11-30-2008, 01:26 PM

I hope you are talking about seeing Ol Stump without a broken finger, like the one he had against LH in the title game last year...

tough to throw with a broken finger

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
I have to disagree with you on the "ugly pass" thing. I haven't seen the other kids you speak of, but I've been around this game for a long time. Godfrey has throws a beautiful ball. Perfect spiral that is very catchable and puts it right on the money most of the time. He is a pure passer, Vince Young was not and saw Young once his junior year and twice his senior year. They are different players with different styles. Godfrey is the best I've seen in quite a while.

While I'm on the subject, he is also a class player as are the rest of the Gilmer players. I never saw a bit of taunting going on during the game and the entire team consoled the WOS players after the game before celebrating their victory. Very, very classy. From a Mustang fan and parent, I appreciate that. I couldn't agree more. :clap: :)

WOS1
11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Keystonepride
I hope you are talking about seeing Ol Stump without a broken finger, like the one he had against LH in the title game last year...

tough to throw with a broken finger

I agree with you, he ain't lookin at the same kid I saw last night.

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I've seen both Pachall and Godfrey play and I think Pachall is the much better QB. He is the best passer I've seen since Mcgee @ Burnett. Godfrey is also a terriffic high school QB but has a very odd looking throwing motion sort of like Vince Young. Godfrey has shown to be a winner against some very good teams, so I guess you could say he is sort of like old Bernie Kosar, throws an ugly pass but wins. I would take that. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing the Cuero kid unless he played against LH last year. You are crazy. Godfrey was throwing beautiful passes last night. He was putting the ball right in the bread basket of his receivers 40 and 50 yards downfield sometimes with a man all over them.

He looking AWESOME throwing the deep ball last night.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say he throws like VY.:confused:

pirate4state
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
My thoughts are I'm tired! :D

Lufkin back to Sinton was a horrible drive! :speech: I hadn't been on the road an hour and I was ready for a nap! haha.

Okay, now the game. I honestly believed and told WOS1 as much that WOS would win. I didn't think Gilmer's D could contain WOS offense enough. In the first drive, 9 minutes long, I thought "oh boy, here we go....WOS is gonna grind it out and wear down the Gilmer D". Gilmer holding WOS to just a FG on a 9 minute drive was HUGE!! Then 3 or 4 plays later they are in the end zone. I thought, okay maybe a shoot out. :thinking:

The next drive when WOS WR dropped that TD pass and the ensuing fumble was just a knife in the heart for WOS. Gilmer went for the throat on the first play (if I remember right lol) and were back in the end zone 3-4 plays later. Mercy!

Dropped passes by WOS WRs killed drives and gave Gilmer the ball back and it was time for "take their heart". I even sent buckeye80 a text: "step 2 almost complete" when the score was 21-3.

The WOS team I saw in the 3rd qtr was the team I expected to see the ENTIRE game.

{I sat with the WOS bunch in the 1st half and moved over to the Gilmer side in the 2nd half.}

When WOS came roaring back in the 3rd qtr I thought buckeye80 would send me packing! :D WOS1 told me to stay put! LOL

Gilmer's offense did not disappoint. I love it. It's crazy that I love their offense as much as I love LH's since they are both very different, but what they have in common is that they both run their offenses to perfection! :clap: :clap:

I just wish the WOS offense had been "on" for 4 full qtrs. It was still a good game, but 28-9 at half was not what anyone expected.

I'd love to watch Gilmer/Carthage, but will go watch the battle of the undefeated teams in Waco.

Stump has improved, IMO from last year and ladies & gents...he is a JUNIOR!!! :eek: :) I hope some of you get the opportunity to watch this young man play...he really is fun to watch! :thumbsup:

I am hoping for a LH/Gilmer rematch!!! I wanna see how this young Gilmer D does against the LH running game.

WOS - another great season. Tons of teams would love to have the success you have year in & year out!

GO BUCKEYES!!!

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

When WOS came roaring back in the 3rd qtr I thought buckeye80 would send me packing! :D WOS1 told me to stay put! LOL
GO BUCKEYES!!!

It was great seeing you again last night girl! And I wasn't going to send you packing. I was just gonna send you to the concession stand for a while till things got back under control. :D

Buckeye80
11-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by WOS1

While I'm on the subject, he is also a class player as are the rest of the Gilmer players. I never saw a bit of taunting going on during the game and the entire team consoled the WOS players after the game before celebrating their victory. Very, very classy. From a Mustang fan and parent, I appreciate that.

One thing that Coach Traylor instills in his players is sportsmanship. He and the rest of the coaching staff will not tolerate trash-talking and "showboating" by our players. Ask Houston Tuminello about that.

I was very impressed with the Mustangs on every level. Several times during the game, WOS players would help Buckeyes up after a play, and I saw several helmet taps and shoulder pats going on out there. Those WOS kids were in uncharted territory last night being on the wrong end of the score, but they all held their composure and resisted the urge to be turds!:clap:
It's always nice to play a classy team where the kids can act like men!

Buckeye1980
11-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I am watching the Gilmer -WOS game as I write this and have noticed that 90% of the time that WOS's linemen get in a down stance they run, and if not in stance they pass....looks to be a dead giveaway