PDA

View Full Version : RIII/RIV Semis: LaVega MODOC Pirates vs. Cuero Gobblers

Pages : [1] 2

JR2004
11-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Will Cuero be able to make it back to the state title game for the first time since 2004 or does MODOC get one step closer to bringing home a title to Bellmead?

ILS1
11-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Where will this be played? I'm hearing Austin or Round Rock??

:D :D :D

wimbo_pro
11-29-2008, 09:49 PM
San Marcos would be a good middway point!

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
San Marcos would be a good middway point!

How far is Waco LV from San Marcos?

It's about 75-80 miles from Cuero...

JR2004
11-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Play it in Austin!

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Play it in Austin!

yessir :clap:

Modoc
11-29-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll take my Bellmead boys.

Cuero is one of my favorite teams though. Hometown of my favorite Baylor player ever, Robert Strait!!

shamu85
11-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Play it in Austin!

Better yet, play it in our new stadium at Georgetown! Twelve thousand seats should be enough, shouldn't it?

I am hoping to see at least one big game here this playoff season.

headhunter
11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Game is in Round Rock on Saturday night at 7:00

Necks_Fan
11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Play it in KATY!

Lol. Wishful thinking. :D

garciap77
11-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Play it in KATY!

Lol. Wishful thinking. :D

Well, Necks did you get to make any games this weekend?

44INAROW
11-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
Game is in Round Rock on Saturday night at 7:00

is that confirmed Headhunter? Makes sense I guess....... I assume "the Palace"?

Necks_Fan
11-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Well, Necks did you get to make any games this weekend? I went to Brenham/El Campo on Friday night at Tulley stadium in Houston (Brenham won 21-13) and I went to Lufkin to watch Gilmer/WO-S play this afternoon (Gilmer won 35-23). :)

headhunter
11-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Confirmed from Mrs Reeve and Coach Holder

garciap77
11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I went to Brenham/El Campo on Friday night at Tulley stadium in Houston (Brenham won 21-13) and I went to Lufkin to watch Gilmer/WO-S play this afternoon (Gilmer won 35-23). :)

Well, done Necks!:clap:

Hope you get to see us play this year. You get around! :)

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Well, done Necks!:clap:

:)

Hope you get to see us play this year. You get around! :) You and me both, man!

Where is mansfield?

Maybe ole IHStangfan will come wit meh and we can go ther if'n it ain't to fer.

:D

44INAROW
11-30-2008, 12:07 AM
I've been putting some stats together..... hope someone from La Vega will do the same (it's going to be another long week - at least we'll have someone to talk to besides ourselves this week :D :D )

Cuero 46 vs Beeville 14
278 yards rushing
150 passing
total = 428 yards

Cuero 42 Rio Hondo 7
226 yards rushing
225 passing
total = 451 yards

Cuero 26 Bay City 21
124 yards rushing
253 yards passing
total = 377 yards

La Vernia 21 Cuero 6
33 yard rushing
115 yards passing
total = 148 yards (yikes)

Cuero 49 Yoakum 14
336 yards rushing
126 passing
total = 462 yards

Cuero 56 Palacios 7
162 yards rushing
167 yards passing
total = 329 yards

Cuero 63 Goliad 6
309 yards rushing
92 yards passing
total = 401 yards

Cuero 61 Gonzales 0
352 yards rushing
220 yards passing
total = 572 yards

Cuero 54 Edna 14
485 yards rushing
163 yards passing
total = 648 yards

Cuero 47 Somerset 22
300 yards rushing
145 yards passing
total = 445 yards

Cuero 56 Sealy 24
313 yards rushing
206 yards passing
total = 519

Cuero 55 La Feria 13
228 yards rushing
279 yards passing
total = 507

**If anyone sees any mistakes/typos, please let me know**

JR2004
11-30-2008, 12:39 AM

Where is mansfield?

Just east of Kennedale and on the southside of I-20 on the Ft. Worth side.

JT44
11-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Whats the story behind "MODOC" ?

headhunter
11-30-2008, 12:49 AM
I think we had over 520 yards against Somerset

JR2004
11-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by JT44
Whats the story behind "MODOC" ?

The summarized version is they're "Land Pirates"...That's what a MODOC Pirate is. A former coach there supposedly started it many, many years ago and it just stuck. That's one of the stories I've heard over the years about why they're called MODOC.

HEMOTOXIC
11-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Im not sure how to vote in this one. After seeing La Vega play, I will say that they have the potential but are very beatable considering my Rattlers lost in overtime to the Pirates although they had 5 turnovers inwhich 4 were in the red zone.

With that being said, I do believe that the Modoc are more battle tested than Cuero. This should be a good game. Cuero better make sure that they dont let La Vega get too far ahead and let those Modoc fans get into the game. It can get crazy.

Good Luck to both teams!

La Vega by 14.
'

HM33
11-30-2008, 01:04 AM
After watching the LV/Nav. game Friday I see a win from Cuero if they stop the run and play gap control. Offensively Cuero has to worry about LVs DEs. Those two guys were players.

DU_stud04
11-30-2008, 01:11 AM
lets go MODOC! sadly i cant make it out for this one :(

CueroDad08
11-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Speed agaist speed,
Just like the state track meets.
I will take Cuero in this shootout

JR2004
11-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Speed agaist speed,
Just like the state track meets.
I will take Cuero in this shootout

You're from Cuero and you're picking Cuero?

No Way!

If you think this is just speed vs. speed you'll be in for a rude awakening this week.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 01:38 AM
hmmm... let us see...

gunna be a tough game for Cuero to pull out I think...

can they do it? yah... will they? I dunno...

We've done real well against the run this year minus the first half of the Sealy game, but the halftime adjustments made and the way the defense stepped up that second half have me believing they "might" be able to slow down Parr... dunno about stopping the beast, don't really know who could...

Honestly, I'm really not worried about our offense right now... I'm pretty sure WLV isn't gunna let us just go nuts like we've been doing, but when it comes down to a close game our O has a lot of options...

we've had success with about 5 different running backs, now throw the QB in the mix... and we now have a passing game that has gotten more and more rediculous with Jackson out of the lineup...

I don't know what's going to happen, won't even predict anything, but I feel good about the team we're going to take up to RR... but I know the Pirate faitful feel just as good...

cannot wait...

buff4ever
11-30-2008, 02:33 AM
You're from Cuero and you're picking Cuero?

No Way!

If you think this is just speed vs. speed you'll be in for a rude awakening this week.

I am not from cuero and I am picking cuero. As it appears many others are as well. La Vega is as far as they will get.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 02:36 AM
let's stay classy this week, folks... I just caught myself ha

JR2004
11-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
I am not from cuero and I am picking cuero. As it appears many others are as well. La Vega is as far as they will get.

Yes there are a ton of folks who are picking Cuero. My guess is it's by and large the same prognosticators who overwhelmingly picked Navasota last week. I would expect Cuero to get at least 2/3 of the votes.

There's a large contingent of Cuero fans on this board that'll do that to a poll (home fans voting for their boys is to be expected) and Cuero should also get the "holier than thou" vote that Navasota got last week as well. :)

bleacherbum
11-30-2008, 02:46 AM
After listening to La Vega/Navasota last night, it seems like a lot of Parr, and then some more Parr. I think the Cuero run D will hang tough. Don't get me wrong, Parr is a beast, but I think Cuero will be able to get enough stops to make the difference. Especially with the offense hitting on all cylinders with so many weapons. Should be a great game either way.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 02:46 AM
well, we are pretty holy... considering most use shotguns to hunt turkey... and that causes lots of holes :D

JR2004
11-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
well, we are pretty holy... considering most use shotguns to hunt turkey... and that causes lots of holes :D

Could y'all please ask Nursebetty to start posting again? It hasn't been as much fun around here without her posting. Now she's finally got her hometeam squaring off against the HOORAH team that she likes! I bet she wants to hear no HOORAH's this week though. :)

Rabid Cougar
11-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Play gap control all you want. Parr goes for 250, on SEVERAL long TD's. Wilson will have about 150 passing. Turkey QB will not have time to pass and be on his backside most of the night.

LaVega wins. My pick for State Champion now.

LH Panther Mom
11-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Cuero should also get the "holier than thou" vote that Navasota got last week as well. :)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And please remind me how close Navasota WAS to winning the game.

CueroDad08
11-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes there are a ton of folks who are picking Cuero. My guess is it's by and large the same prognosticators who overwhelmingly picked Navasota last week. I would expect Cuero to get at least 2/3 of the votes.

There's a large contingent of Cuero fans on this board that'll do that to a poll (home fans voting for their boys is to be expected) and Cuero should also get the "holier than thou" vote that Navasota got last week as well. :)

Who did you fote for?
Just so we all know

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
<~~~ hasn't voted yet

LH Panther Mom
11-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Who did you fote for?
Just so we all know
Go out on a limb & take a gander at a guess.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 10:00 AM
see Cuero folks will vote Cuero because we're homers and most have not seen LV (though quite a few went up to see 'em against Navasota, but we're still homers) and the majority of folks above I-10 will vote for LV because Cuero's another Souf Texas team...

who really cares? it's a poll, on the internet, done by homers and people who have most-likely not seen both teams play...

why must we point out the obvious? ha

gobbler grad
11-30-2008, 10:11 AM
this is gonna be an intersting week , probably a few reprimands handed down by our Mods...:D :D :D :D

none to me of course...i'll let my Gobblers do the talking on the field, come Sat. nite...:thumbsup:

44INAROW
11-30-2008, 10:38 AM
and Cuero should also get the "holier than thou" vote that Navasota got last week as well. :)
I am dying to know - what do you mean by "holier than thou"?

OldBison75
11-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I can tell you that the MODOC is beatable. They played a very good first half, but after Navasota adjusted the defense, the LaVega running game was pretty much kept in check. Like was posted earlier in this thread, the Rattlers had four turnovers, three in the red zone. On two of the interceptions, it was not necessarily the defensive performance as both times the receiver was open, but the Rattler QB three bad passes behind the open receiver. The LaVega defense gave up alot of yards to Navasota and when Navasota chose to run, they gained yards in good chunks. The LaVega DE's play the sweep very well, so yards came up the middle for the most part.

Can Cuero beat LaVega? I don't know. If Cuero can establish their traditional running game, they can move the ball effectively on the MODOC defense. The key to the game , in my opinion, is gonna be if Cuero can mix enough passing into the game plan to keep the MODOC linebackers honest. They are a good group and if they can key only on the run, they will eat you up. Keep them thinking pass, and you can make some big plays on the ground.

I think this will be a game where both teams will move the ball up and down the field pretty much at will. I think the key players will be the QB's and how they perform. I was much more impressed with the MODOC QB against Navasota than I expected. The kid is a field general and can beat you with his running ability and when he passes, he is better than I had believed. All I can say for Cuero is, when you put pressure on the QB, be sure you maintain containment, because that kid will eat up 20 yards on you in a hurry.

I hate to make a pick, but I am gonna say LaVega wins by a field goal.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
They are a good group and if they can key only on the run, they will eat you up. Keep them thinking pass, and you can make some big plays on the ground.

that's why I dig out offensive chances...

we have 5 running backs to go to on the run, then our QB runs well...

passing? how do you want it? We'll go deep, we'll go mid, we'll go sideline, we'll go very short... can pass it to one of the backs, then the TE, then 4 different receivers that are lighting it up right now...

but geez, can we contain Parr and anything else they throw our way? LV is damn good

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I am dying to know - what do you mean by "holier than thou"?

ha... phew thought it was about to get crunk up in hur...

44INAROW
11-30-2008, 11:20 AM

I had second thoughts......... ;)

TAMUGRAD
11-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Me too, and we have a whole week to go.

cameron91
11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
since I went with LV last week , I guess I'm riding with them again this week.

i still have memories of 87 going threw my mind..

that was a fumble :D

LV - 28
Gobblers - 21

JR2004
11-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And please remind me how close Navasota WAS to winning the game.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What does last week's game for either team have to do with this week? Oh that's right it has NOTHING to do with this week! I said that I wouldn't be surprised at whichever team won last week.

I like Cuero. Their head coach is from Gatesville and I think he's done a good job down there. He probably hasn't done enough for some of the locals who think they should be playing for a state title every year, but he's done very good and it wouldn't surprise me again this week if they're the ones to knock MODOC out.

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 12:11 PM
He probably hasn't done enough for some of the locals who think they should be playing for a state title every year

wondering where you get that feel?

he's done more than enough and we love the guy...

sure, we may complain when he doesn't do as Buckeye80's signature suggests (step on throat, pull out heart), but no one's perfect ;)

(btw, judging by the play he ran in the last seconds of the first half last night, he stepped on the throat and pulled the heart out, then took a bite out of it and threw it in the trash can on the way to the locker room)...

LH Panther Mom
11-30-2008, 12:12 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What does last week's game for either team have to do with this week? Oh that's right it has NOTHING to do with this week! I said that I wouldn't be surprised at whichever team won last week.

I like Cuero. Their head coach is from Gatesville and I think he's done a good job down there. He probably hasn't done enough for some of the locals who think they should be playing for a state title every year, but he's done very good and it wouldn't surprise me again this week if they're the ones to knock MODOC out.
And you still didn't explain your uncalled for "holier than thou" comment. :hand: :hand:

Raider Red
11-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Re: the "holier than thou" comment and vote, that issue should have been long put to rest. this is a game between to highly qualified teams that deserve to be here. Who cares how the poll comes out? Game will be a good one. I just hope both teams play to their potential and no body gets hurt.

bobcat1
11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
And you still didn't explain your uncalled for "holier than thou" comment. :hand: :hand: Just runnin off at the mouth again. He can't stop himself. LMAO!

JR2004
11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
And you still didn't explain your uncalled for "holier than thou" comment. :hand: :hand:

Not uncalled for and I've already stated it on here last week. They have a search feature on this site that you can make use of. :)

bobcat1
11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Not uncalled for and I've already stated it on here last week. They have a search feature on this site that you can make use of. :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 12:26 PM
:stirpot:

bobcat1
11-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Just doing my part.:evillol:

headhunter
11-30-2008, 12:43 PM
MY THOUGHTS:

LaVega is a very confident team right now. They are very good at what they do -Run the Football- LaVega will want to control the line of scrimmage and continue to pound away at Cuero's defense and then hope to break one ever so often. LaVega's best defense will be their offense, by keeping their offense on the field they will be able to keep the momentum and control the tempo. LaVega has a great running back and he is the guy they are going to ride to state. His job is to average 4 to 5 yards a carry and put them in 3rd and shorts.

Cuero will have to have a huge day from their front four. Those guys must get penetration and keep gap containment. This will allow the linebackers and safeties to come up and make tackles. The Defense must gang tackle and run to the end of the whistle. The other key point is for the offense to take what is given to them, Arndt has to go through his check-downs and not key on one receiver, he can't force anything. The running backs and wide receivers must know when to fight for extra yards and when to just get down or out of bounds. This will be the best defense they face yet and they must be able to keep cool and execute. The intensity level on defense will must be high and the defense must bring some big hits.

Bottom Line:
Is that both teams are highly talented. You don't get to the semi's by pure luck, both are very confident. The team that executes the best and turns the ball over the least will win the game. It is no secret how teams keep advancing in the playoffs, It comes down to the "little things." It is the special teams play, field position, making open field tackles, and making a team pay for it's mistakes.

Who is favored:
It has to be Waco LaVega - They are coming out of a very tough region and they have been tested. They got a breath of fresh air when Chris Parr came back and that boosted their confidence even more. They have a solid defense which will be the best Cuero has faced. They have good size and enough speed. They have one of the best RB in 3A, that guy is a power runner with break away speed (he is probably not a shifty as Downey was but he is just has fast).

What is the "X" Factor:
For LaVega it is their offensive line. They must allow Parr and Company to run, eat up yards and keep the clock moving is key.

For Cuero it is the play out of their defensive line. They must be up for the challenge of stopping the run. LaVega is going to hit them in the face all night and it will be up to them on how they respond. If they can penetrate and create havoc in the backfield and put LaVega into throwing situations they will have success.

This game is going to be a very intense from the opening kickoff, I know a few of you think it may be a shootout but I believe both offenses will be stopped more than their used to. Not sure if either team will score more than 35. These are my thoughts lets hear some of yours!!

HM33
11-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I went to the LV/Nav game and IMO neither team impressed me. All the talk was, well, talk. LV was all about pitch it back to Parr and see what he can do. That could be a good plan but not for teams deeper in the playoffs. He doesn't have the speed to break it and run the long run. Cuero's D has the speed to keep him in check, if they play smart.

They will have to knock the dust off the playbook and try some new things. With passing on SEVEN times the entire game last week I don't see LV doing many more than that. That is a great thing for Cuero being that the secondary is a below par group. And they give up big pass plays every game.

Ruiz and Rangnow will have to step up and play one of their better games to stop the big Parr. I'm not too worried about Ruiz play, but Ragnow on the other hand is if'y. Ragnow needs to play BIG and not get hot headed like he usually does. There will be a time that he will get thrown out of the game for being stupid. Chill out and just knock the **** out of them the next play.

I don't see Cuero's Ardnt and company getting stopped to many times if any. They have A LOT of weapons, all with the ability to make a BIG play. From what I saw Friday, the LV secondary is the same as the Cuero, below par. Nav had WRs open numorous times but the QB threw very bad balls. Cuero has a great groups of RBs that have all different running styles. IF Jackson is back that throws (IMO) the second biggest threat (Ardnt being #1) that LV have to worry about. I don't know if he will be though. They should do like they did this week and suit him out and play him ONLY IF they need him.

My Pick:
Of course Cuero by 13. (we miss a PAT)

Raider Red
11-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Good post, Headhunter. Very good description of both teams. Key will be turnovers and stops. LV does not turn the ball over very often (none in the playoffs, I believe). Secondary does give up some yards but makes big plays when they have to. LV running backs have good to excellent speed and can run inside and out. QB is better than people realize until they get on the field with him. Excellent leader and playmaker. I will not even attempt to rate Cuero's team. haven't seen them enough to speak of them. I do know LV has a big talented offensive line and they like to run the ball. If you have seen them only once, you really can't judge them too much. They are good at what they do and they are true to what they do. I will reserve my prediction until later when I see more of Cuero.

Electus Unus
11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Will the fans who post on here meet before or during the game somewhere?

slingshot
11-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Couple of observations from when we (Wylie) played LV earlier this year... they can actually throw the ball quite effectively when they have too--we had shut down their running game in the second half (yes, I know--Parr was "unavailable")--and they came out throwing. Their QB can scramble around, buy time and hit open recievers downfield accurately--and we have an excellent defensive secondary and linebacking corps. Secondly--their O-line is a load. They wear people down. It didn't work as well against us because we have excellent depth and were able to rotate guys in and keep them fresh the entire game, but giving up 50--70 lbs/man across the line is hard--especially in the first half. They did get tired in the second half and were a little less effective.
Good luck to both teams and just hope that we keep up our end of the bargain and are there in two weeks to see the winner!

Rabid Cougar
11-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by HM33
[B] LV was all about pitch it back to Parr and see what he can do. That could be a good plan but not for teams deeper in the playoffs. He doesn't have the speed to break it and run the long run. Cuero's D has the speed to keep him in check, if they play smart.

They will have to knock the dust off the playbook and try some new things. With passing on SEVEN times the entire game last week I don't see LV doing many more than that. That is a great thing for Cuero being that the secondary is a below par group. And they give up big pass plays every game.

It's the John Tyler Sweep. Big line puts a body on everyone and he picks a hole. The cut back lanes will kill you.
IF you think #12 doesn't have the speed to take it to the house from any point on the field you will be in for a long night. He didn't break any against Navasota but that is unusal. Last year in two games against CS defense, the same one that stuffed Cuero and all their "speed", #12 had 7 TD runs of 50 and over and that was with CS keying on him like no tomorrow. The other thing that you are over looking is Ward and Wilson. Ward is every bit the high caliber RB as any other stud on a 3 A team. Wilson is the great overlooked weapon. He can run and he is very accurate passer with great arm. Go head and key on Parr. You may slow him down or stop him on several plays but that little pitch back is deadly efficient.

HM33
11-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I did see the QB has good wheels and he is a threat. The other little back, not 25 but the other. He is a little skat back and is pretty good. Reeve will have a good game plan and if Rangnow calls it right and gets everyone set it will be a battle in the Box.

Raider Red
11-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Rabid Cougar, How's your son's shoulder? Hope he is okay and felling better. What a warrior!!! I know you are proud of him and his team. As a central Texas FB fan, I was extremely proud of the CHina Spring team and their success. THanks to them for a great year.

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I haven't taken the time to read this thread, so is Trent Jackson going to play in this one or no? And did he play versus LaFeria?

I would assume no, because they didn't need him. :thinking:

HM33
11-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I haven't taken the time to read this thread, so is Trent Jackson going to play in this one or no? And did he play versus LaFeria?

I would assume no, because they didn't need him. :thinking:

He is probable this week. And no he didnt play. He dressed out with the thought of playing ONLY IF they needed him. Personally I think they should do that again. He wasn't running like he likes to before the game.

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 01:42 PM
He is probable this week. And no he didnt play. He dressed out with the thought of playing ONLY IF they needed him. Personally I think they should do that again. He wasn't running like he likes to before the game. Thanks for the info. :)

Only thing is, y'all WILL need him this week. No blowouts here, atleast I would assume not.

HM33
11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info. :)

Only thing is, y'all WILL need him this week. No blowouts here, atleast I would assume not.

But thats another thing. If Pargman, Johnson, Ruiz, and Rangnow are getting the job done then there is no need to use him. But if they get shut down then of course I would try him out.

Boomer
11-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Great post HH! It will be a dog fight come Sat. I think Cuero's defense will do a good job on Parr & Co. If LV wins, it will be because their defense plays well and stops Cuero's offense. I think Cuero will have to use EVERYBODY on offense to win!! Like someone said earlier, keep those linebackers on their heels.

Cuero had over 200 yards rushing with not one RB with 100 yards. Who do you key on? I know it was LF, but still, I think that's impressive.

Do your thing on offense and get some stops on defense and Cuero wins!!

LH Panther Mom
11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Not uncalled for and I've already stated it on here last week. They have a search feature on this site that you can make use of. :)
Considering that you have no facts to back up why people voted last week or are voting this week, it is, imo, uncalled for.

44INAROW
11-30-2008, 02:06 PM
still waiting - why the "holier than thou" comment?:confused:

LHexPlayer
11-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Here is my "holier than thou" vote. Go Mean Green

pirate4state
11-30-2008, 02:27 PM
still waiting - why the "holier than thou" comment?:confused:

lots of folks, not saying they are from Cuero, but lots of folks had plenty to say about Parr being allowed to play again. that's where the 'holier than thou" comment comes from.

maybe i don't agree with what happened, but none of us are perfect and we only HOPE to do the right thing in that situation, but don't kid yourselves (general) into thinking that this type of thing is limited to one school or staff. doesn't make it right, just the sad world we live in today.

that's all i have to say on the subject. i'm tired of saying it too. the Parr incident is done & over with. just drop it.

44INAROW
11-30-2008, 02:34 PM
see - that's all that was needed - an explanation.... thanks P4S - I thought that subject was put to bed, probably why I was confused :doh:
Oh yea - GO MEAN GREEN :clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
11-30-2008, 02:40 PM
see - that's all that was needed - an explanation.... thanks P4S - I thought that subject was put to bed, probably why I was confused :doh:
Oh yea - GO MEAN GREEN :clap: :clap: :clap: anytime :)

GO GOBBLERS!

GreenMachine
11-30-2008, 06:21 PM
I agree that if Trent is not ready to go DO NOT use him, but if he can go, we WILL need him. It looked as though he was ready against LF, but no need to use him in that game. I would try to use Ruiz and Rangnow as little as I could get away with on offense, as they will be needed BADLY on defense. Our defensive line will have to have a huge night and they need to get on the ball instead of a yard off as usual. I don't believe they will beat us with the pass, so I would man up and stack the box. LV is talented, so are we. They win by pounding the ball down your throat, no secret. Line up and stop it. We win a variety of ways. One of the best QB's in the state (IMO), a slew of talented backs and lightening fast receivers. I see this game as a "toss" up. I think the "X" factor in this game is our d-line and linebackers. If we can slow them down somewhat and get some stops, I like our chances. This one is just too close to call.

rodeo-rider
11-30-2008, 08:21 PM
MY THOUGHTS:

LaVega is a very confident team right now. They are very good at what they do -Run the Football- LaVega will want to control the line of scrimmage and continue to pound away at Cuero's defense and then hope to break one ever so often. LaVega's best defense will be their offense, by keeping their offense on the field they will be able to keep the momentum and control the tempo. LaVega has a great running back and he is the guy they are going to ride to state. His job is to average 4 to 5 yards a carry and put them in 3rd and shorts.

Cuero will have to have a huge day from their front four. Those guys must get penetration and keep gap containment. This will allow the linebackers and safeties to come up and make tackles. The Defense must gang tackle and run to the end of the whistle. The other key point is for the offense to take what is given to them, Arndt has to go through his check-downs and not key on one receiver, he can't force anything. The running backs and wide receivers must know when to fight for extra yards and when to just get down or out of bounds. This will be the best defense they face yet and they must be able to keep cool and execute. The intensity level on defense will must be high and the defense must bring some big hits.

Bottom Line:
Is that both teams are highly talented. You don't get to the semi's by pure luck, both are very confident. The team that executes the best and turns the ball over the least will win the game. It is no secret how teams keep advancing in the playoffs, It comes down to the "little things." It is the special teams play, field position, making open field tackles, and making a team pay for it's mistakes.

Who is favored:
It has to be Waco LaVega - They are coming out of a very tough region and they have been tested. They got a breath of fresh air when Chris Parr came back and that boosted their confidence even more. They have a solid defense which will be the best Cuero has faced. They have good size and enough speed. They have one of the best RB in 3A, that guy is a power runner with break away speed (he is probably not a shifty as Downey was but he is just has fast).

What is the "X" Factor:
For LaVega it is their offensive line. They must allow Parr and Company to run, eat up yards and keep the clock moving is key.

For Cuero it is the play out of their defensive line. They must be up for the challenge of stopping the run. LaVega is going to hit them in the face all night and it will be up to them on how they respond. If they can penetrate and create havoc in the backfield and put LaVega into throwing situations they will have success.

This game is going to be a very intense from the opening kickoff, I know a few of you think it may be a shootout but I believe both offenses will be stopped more than their used to. Not sure if either team will score more than 35. These are my thoughts lets hear some of yours!!

good thoughts..........Have to agree with on this one. Will be a great offensive game though, I see alot points on the the board and special teams will win this game.
GOBBLERS win by 5-------:kiss:

gobbler grad
11-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Will the fans who post on here meet before or during the game somewhere?

probably halftime behind scoreboard where ambulance parks...
that's where we met last week...:thinking:

Mean Green Fan
11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I agree with what Headhunter said about the game. Cuero will have to play their best game defensively.
If Trent can go then they need to play him and not play Rangnow
and others. We need them on defense and rested as much as possible.
This is gut check time for Cuero. We dont need big heads,what we need is team play,lights out for 4 quarters. The day of playing subs is over.
Can Cuero step up to the challenge? I think so......
Cuero wins in a dog fight.

Go Mean Green.

mwynn05
11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
LV by 3 or 4 touchdowns...wont be close

HM33
11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
LV by 3 or 4 touchdowns...wont be close

good reasoning ;)....

I'm glad more people are posting this week. Last week the Cuero thread was boring ;)

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
M&G?

HM33
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
M&G?

I hope so. I will go. Halftime under score board???

Necks_Fan
11-30-2008, 11:11 PM
I hope so. I will go. Halftime under score board??? Is it an open stadium?

M&G's are FUN! Halftime goes by SO fast when we meet up and we get to put names to faces.

I really hope we're able to do it.

Any good places to eat between Austin and RR on the way to RRISDAC from DKR?

Nursebetty
11-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Could y'all please ask Nursebetty to start posting again? It hasn't been as much fun around here without her posting. Now she's finally got her hometeam squaring off against the HOORAH team that she likes! I bet she wants to hear no HOORAH's this week though. :)
Thanks JR....i appreciate that! Nursebetty is BACK!!!!!!! Hoorah all ya'll want! It's gonna be close, but I think Cuero pulls this one out. We have a lot of great players as does La Vega! Best of luck to both teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 01:48 AM

Any good places to eat between Austin and RR on the way to RRISDAC from DKR?

Ya damn right there are... pick whatever seems fit for your tasters...

a lot of us never go through Austin, just take the back way through Elgin etc...

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

but none of us are perfect

c'mon now...

us Cuero folk are perfecto

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 01:55 AM
As a I said... us Cuero folk will be homers and pick Cuero (as LV posters will pick LV), and most of the folks north of I-10 will pick LV since Cuero's just another Region 4 team that has only beaten the Region 3 team 10 times in the semis...

TIE PERMIAN!!!

turtletank2009
12-01-2008, 02:04 AM
I’m not going to post a score but I say Quero wins. I have seen both teams play, but I truly admire how much tradition Quero has. The game will come down to the fourth quarter. Good luck to both teams. Quero vs Wylie would be an awesome game...

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by turtletank2009
Quero

That a border town or a losin' spellin' bee answer? :D

mind your p's a Q's

eagles_victory
12-01-2008, 02:07 AM
The downlows favorite team Cuero (maybe Sinton but its close) vs the hated Lavega team (for the Lorena game and Parr playing) I figured Cuero would be up by more than 28 in this poll. Anybody besides me and probably JR and Ruben going for Modoc in this game?

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The downlows favorite team Cuero (maybe Sinton but its close) vs the hated Lavega team (for the Lorena game and Parr playing) I figured Cuero would be up by more than 28 in this poll. Anybody besides me and probably JR and Ruben going for Modoc in this game?

Hell6, haven't voted yet myself, no tellin' which way I'll go... no doub0t this poll will h6eavily favor Cuero seein' as we h5ave the most int2ernet...

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 02:18 AM
can someone tell me what a RODOC is? Sounds purdy spiffy...

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 02:29 AM
damn it sucks having class...:(

JR2004
12-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Considering that you have no facts to back up why people voted last week or are voting this week, it is, imo, uncalled for.

That's your opinion as you said, but no it's not uncalled for. Use that good 'ol search feature! Or don't...I really don't care. :)

JR2004
12-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Nursebetty
Thanks JR....i appreciate that! Nursebetty is BACK!!!!!!! Hoorah all ya'll want! It's gonna be close, but I think Cuero pulls this one out. We have a lot of great players as does La Vega! Best of luck to both teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Hopefully you're here to stay this time!

I think it will be a close game and it could go either way. Just from reading on here and looking up some stuff it appears y'all do have a great amount of talent all over the field once again this year! If I didn't have to work until the afternoon on Saturday I'd head down there to watch y'all play and maybe meet a few of the nice folks from your town. I usually just skip the meet and greets at games (I prefer just to sit and watch the entire game and talk on the phone during halftime...Rita knows all about that after I skipped the meet and greet last year in Huntsville...lol.) but I'd like to eventually meet you and a few others from down that way who seem like really interesting people. :)

I have not seen Cuero play a game in person since 2004 when I went with several Gatesville coaches to see y'all play Wylie. They were all there to support Cuero because of Coach Reeve and so was I! Wish that game had turned out differently for y'all. It was such a heartbreaking ending that night for your Gobblers. :(

LH Panther Mom
12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by turtletank2009
I’m not going to post a score but I say Quero wins. I have seen both teams play, but I truly admire how much tradition Quero has. The game will come down to the fourth quarter. Good luck to both teams. Quero vs Wylie would be an awesome game... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HM33
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't understand how people misspell words/names when they are on the thread name. Just seems retarded.

turtletank2009
12-01-2008, 01:10 PM
That a border town or a losin' spellin' bee answer? :D

mind your p's a Q's
My goodness thanks you young man, I couldn’t find my bifocals last night, I truly apologies for my spelling. We never graduated when I was younger.

gobblergrangran
12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
bet your boots--Cureo fans stick together.besides we need one more (LA) in order to stand together and sing TRA-LA-LA ON OUR WAY TO STATE. HAVE FUN ROOTERS.:thumbsup:

44INAROW
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by gobblergrangran
bet your boots--Cureo fans stick together.besides we need one more (LA) in order to stand together and sing TRA-LA-LA ON OUR WAY TO STATE. HAVE FUN ROOTERS.:thumbsup:

good one GranGran - by the way - how's the new cap fit?

gobblergrangran
12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
DONT KNOW YET 44 ITS BEING PICKED UP FOR ME. LET YOU KNOW LATER.

nobogey72
12-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Hopefully you're here to stay this time!

I think it will be a close game and it could go either way. Just from reading on here and looking up some stuff it appears y'all do have a great amount of talent all over the field once again this year! If I didn't have to work until the afternoon on Saturday I'd head down there to watch y'all play and maybe meet a few of the nice folks from your town. I usually just skip the meet and greets at games (I prefer just to sit and watch the entire game and talk on the phone during halftime...Rita knows all about that after I skipped the meet and greet last year in Huntsville...lol.) but I'd like to eventually meet you and a few others from down that way who seem like really interesting people. :)

I have not seen Cuero play a game in person since 2004 when I went with several Gatesville coaches to see y'all play Wylie. They were all there to support Cuero because of Coach Reeve and so was I! Wish that game had turned out differently for y'all. It was such a heartbreaking ending that night for your Gobblers. :(

:D :D Yeah, but it was such a great ending for us. But, that was my son's last football game, and after the fun of the win was gone, the reality of it all being over is the same for everyone. BTW in case you didn't know, our QB that night is leading the nation in total offense. He was the only kid on that team that even played college football.

Modoc
12-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Who was that QB?

Texas Cougar
12-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Case Keenum. University of Houston

CHSVARSITYDAD
12-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Case Keenum- Sorry if I spelled it wrong.

Gobbla2001
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Actually I've gotta disagree with HM33 on something... I wouldn't call our secondary sub-par... yah they do give up more on the pass than the run, but teams are usually trying to catch up etc... so they're gunna give something up... plus you kinda get relaxed when you're up...

seeing what Cuero did against Sealy last week and a damn good passing team in Beeville earlier this season, I gotta say they're atleast par...

just me though

I'm gettin 'cited

buff4ever
12-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Did I already say that Cuero was going to win this game? It is the end of the road for LV.

gobbler grad
12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
figured we would surpass 300 posts this week...since we have a few more posters to argue with...:thinking:

GO MEAN GREEN

JR2004
12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
:D :D Yeah, but it was such a great ending for us. But, that was my son's last football game, and after the fun of the win was gone, the reality of it all being over is the same for everyone. BTW in case you didn't know, our QB that night is leading the nation in total offense. He was the only kid on that team that even played college football.

It sure was a great ending for y'all! What a way for your son to go out winning a state title in such dramatic fashion.

I did know that Keenum was the QB that night. He's had a pretty good run at UofH. That run he had to setup the field goal was one of the biggest, if not the biggest, clutch plays I've seen in a state title game. He sure wasn't the fastest guy on the field, but just as he does now, he had a knack for making big plays. Sometimes it's better to have a kid like that at QB that makes big plays in big situations on a consistent basis.

1st and goal
12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I would really love to come to this game. I have plans that I'm trying to figure a way to weasel out of.

My dad and uncles were Gobblers. My mamma graduated there. Somehow, Tyler Arndt is my 42nd cousin...

Gobblers ROLL!

44INAROW
12-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
I would really love to come to this game. I have plans that I'm trying to figure a way to weasel out of.

My dad and uncles were Gobblers. My mamma graduated there. Somehow, Tyler Arndt is my 42nd cousin...

Gobblers ROLL!

cool beans - what graduating class for dad and uncles?

HM33
12-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Actually I've gotta disagree with HM33 on something... I wouldn't call our secondary sub-par... yah they do give up more on the pass than the run, but teams are usually trying to catch up etc... so they're gunna give something up... plus you kinda get relaxed when you're up...

seeing what Cuero did against Sealy last week and a damn good passing team in Beeville earlier this season, I gotta say they're atleast par...

just me though

I'm gettin 'cited

Yeah, I was a little harsh when I said sup-par. They have their moments and big plays. They did step up against a good Beevile team, but they still don't cover to well over the middle. Seems as if the LBs don't drop far enough or it could be just the way Reeve sets up he secondary, which is like 7 to 10 yards off the WRs. :doh:

One big thing though is the tackling they try to do. Boothe needs to stop diving at ankles and make a form tackle, along with other DBs. Goebel is one that goes up and makes a good tackle by wrapping up!!. Thats one thing the whole D needs to do better. Don't try for the big hit, but make the sure tackle. If everything is done correctly the big hit will fall into place.

headhunter
12-01-2008, 11:17 PM
You have to remember that the hardest thing to coach in high school football is pass defense. That is why teams that throw the football tend to win. Just look at Cuero, Southlake Carrol, China Springs, Ennis, etc, sure their are your exceptions like Liberty Hill who tend to be one dimensional, but at the higher classifications you must be able throw the football to be successful. You also have to realize that these are 15 to 17 year old kids, they will make mistakes and you just hope they make as few as possible. Most of the big plays Cuero gives up through the air is due to giving the QB have to much time in the pocket. Opposing teams design plays to work and when the other team execute they make yards. Many of times your secondary can only contain and hold coverage so long before it breaks down.

I actually think our linebacker play has been excellent. The linebackers are only as good as the front four allows them to be though. If the big boys up front don't get rooted out by the big hog mollies and are able to take on the blocks while holding their ground it allows the linebackers to run free to the ball and make tackles. I agree we can get a little over hyped after some plays but I would much rather have a kid running to the football and going hard until the whistle blows then a kid being worried about when to let up. I have been impressed with our defensive play thus far in the playoffs, we have played with a high intensity level and we have hustled very well. That will make up for lack of size and talent most of the time. Sure we are not the biggest and the baddest defense ever to come through Cuero but this defense plays very well together. All 11 do a good solid job, they may not be the most talented but they are possibly the smartest.

With that said we as fans must realize that on Saturday night LaVega is going to throw some new wrinkles in their offense just as Cuero will. Our defense is going to bend some times and we are going to allow some big plays and possibly a few scores. What matters is how Cuero makes adjustments and how they react to adversity. Also what really matters is just making the big play at the right time, keeping the momentum and making more stops then LaVega's defense. LaVega is a good team and just like Sealy they will make so things happen, but I like the team we are taking to Round Rock, I feel if Coach Reeve puts together a solid game-plan and does not get conservative on offense then we got as good as shot as ever to make it back to take a state title.

Defense wins championships and all its about is getting more stops then them. You don't have to be perfect you just have to be good enough on game night.

bleedsbabyblue
12-01-2008, 11:21 PM
One big thing though is the tackling they try to do. Boothe needs to stop diving at ankles and make a form tackle, along with other DBs. Goebel is one that goes up and makes a good tackle by wrapping up!!. Thats one thing the whole D needs to do better. Don't try for the big hit, but make the sure tackle. If everything is done correctly the big hit will fall into place.

well, good luck (and i do mean that) with that vs. lavega, because if the cuero defense just tries to knock runners down, you are in for a long night. the only way you will bring ward and the other guy down is with good form tackles.

headhunter
12-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Maybe it was already posted and I just missed it but Who is the Home team?

Footballhudini
12-02-2008, 01:36 AM
What cuero will be doing next week

http://www.ci.grapevine.tx.us/Portals/0/dreamstimeweb_162871%20basketball.jpg

JT44
12-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I really don't see a big problem with the tackling, if anything, the DB's on the end do a great job of turning runners back inside to the d-line and lb's. They kind of got rattled against Sealy, but buckled down and went back to form. I

If Rangnow and Ruiz can get to Parr and whoever else runs the ball, I like Cuero's chances.

But whatever this defense lacks in speed, they make up for in smarts.

footballgal
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Gooo Gobblers, this is your year! :)

JT44
12-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Is there M/G for this game, never been to one, may have to finally make an appearance even though lots of the cuero people know me.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2008, 11:49 AM
IF Cuero and Wylie both win. Wouldn't it make sense for the game to be in the Austin area? I would LOVE to come see this one.

JT44
12-02-2008, 11:58 AM
it was waco in 2004. I think Austin is a little far for Wylie, only about 2 hrs for Cuero.

GreenMachine
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Kyle Field :2thumbsup

Daddy D 11
12-02-2008, 12:21 PM
it was waco in 2004. I think Austin is a little far for Wylie, only about 2 hrs for Cuero.

Abilene is 3 hours from Austin. I make that drive frequently. Cuero is a little closer. So why not do it at Georgetowns BRAND NEW stadium, Georgetown makes it about 30 minutes further for Cuero and evens it out. Stadium holds 12,000 and has probably only had 5-6 games on it ever. Plus it's 5 minutes from my house:thumbsup:

headhunter
12-02-2008, 12:27 PM
We probably should discuss this topic late Saturday night or Sunday, both teams need to take care of business first. 1 WEEK AT A TIME

Daddy D 11
12-02-2008, 12:30 PM
We probably should discuss this topic late Saturday night or Sunday, both teams need to take care of business first. 1 WEEK AT A TIME

I just don't have a dog in the fight, that's the only reason why I asked the question. I'll go back to my sticky now:)

Gobble Gobble Gobble! GO CUERO:cheerl:

HM33
12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Abilene is 3 hours from Austin. I make that drive frequently. Cuero is a little closer. So why not do it at Georgetowns BRAND NEW stadium, Georgetown makes it about 30 minutes further for Cuero and evens it out. Stadium holds 12,000 and has probably only had 5-6 games on it ever. Plus it's 5 minutes from my house:thumbsup:

I saw this stadium just after it was done. It is amazing. Very nice field and stands.

Runnin Panther
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
IF Cuero and Wylie both win. Wouldn't it make sense for the game to be in the Austin area? I would LOVE to come see this one.

Mee too.

Rootin for Cuero in this one

Boomer
12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
The key to winning this game will be the O-line and D-line of Cuero. Parr will get his yards, but by second half, Cuero will have him figured out. LV will try to grind down the clock and keep their offense on the field as long as possible. Were up to the task! Our D-line will have to play strong and clog the holes so the LB's can make the tackle on Parr. I look for LV to play action pass on their first play to hit the big one, since they like to run so much. We need to keep the QB in check and not let him run on us.

On offense, I think we will need 5-6 players with catches, instead of just three. We will have to spread the ball around to keep the LV defense honest. The play calling has been good since the La Vernia game. Tanner will get a few touches this game. But the O-line will be the factor. We have to keep LV off our QB and blow open the holes for the RB's.

We have so many weapons and I feel real good with the team and coaches we have. Can't wait for Sat.

Go Mean Green!!!

JT44
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I've seen some pics of LV......Anyone know the ht/wt of their lineman? Some of them are looking pretty big

nobogey72
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I've seen some pics of LV......Anyone know the ht/wt of their lineman? Some of them are looking pretty big

One of them is about 350, but he is probably not one of the better ones. Their 2 DE's are the ones that are animals.

HM33
12-02-2008, 05:15 PM

They do have some size. A few though have bad size. meaning the weight they carry around isn't the kind you want. But other than that they have decent size and strength.

Just like I said earlier and nobogey72 said, their 2 DE's are good. They will be hard to block and hopefully our tackles can give Tyler enough time in the pocket.

Gobbla2001
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
anyone have WLV's schedule and results or is it already on here?

JR2004
12-02-2008, 06:46 PM
anyone have WLV's schedule and results or is it already on here?

La Vega Pirates
08/29....(2A) Marlin W 35-6
09/05....@ Brownwood W 31-14
09/12....Dallas Roosevelt W 45-6
09/19....@ Abilene Wylie L 20-22
09/26....Crockett W 21-12
10/03....OPEN
10/10....Mexia* W 47-20
10/17....@ Waco Connally* W 42-10
10/24....Robinson* W 34-14
10/31....@ Groesbeck* W 42-0
11/07....Lorena* L 13-20
11/15....Brownsboro** W 42-7 (@ Mesquite Memorial Stadium, Sat. 2:00)
11/22....Tyler Chapel Hill** W 56-8 (@ Mesquite Hanby Stadium, Sat. 2:00)
11/28....Navasota**34-28 OT (Round Rock ISD Stadium, Fri. 7:30)

Gobbla2001
12-02-2008, 06:47 PM
La Vega Pirates
10/03....OPEN
10/10....Mexia* W 47-20
11/07....Lorena* L 13-20
11/15....Brownsboro** W 42-7 (@ Mesquite Memorial Stadium, Sat. 2:00)
11/22....Tyler Chapel Hill** W 56-8 (@ Mesquite Hanby Stadium, Sat. 2:00)
11/28....Navasota**34-28 OT (Round Rock ISD Stadium, Fri. 7:30)

that was quick... thanks

Raider Red
12-02-2008, 06:50 PM
How about Cuero's schedule and results? Does anyone have those results handy to post? Haven't made my pick yet. Looked at two of Cuero's games today and not sure they can handle LV's running game.

Gobbla2001
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Cuero 46 vs Beeville 14 (h)
Cuero 42 Rio Hondo 7 (Neutral)
Cuero 26 Bay City 21 (h)
La Vernia 21 Cuero 6 (a)

district
Cuero 49 Yoakum 14 (h)
Cuero 56 Palacios 7 (a)
Cuero 63 Goliad 6 (a)
Cuero 61 Gonzales 0 (h)
Cuero 54 Edna 14 (a)

playoffs
Cuero 47 Somerset 22
Cuero 56 Sealy 24
Cuero 55 La Feria 13

headhunter
12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Here are what the two teams have done up to this point.

Cuero Gobblers
08/29....vs. Beeville (46-14) W
09/05....@ Rio Hondo (42-7) W
09/12....@ Devine - CXLD IKE
09/19....Bay City (26-21) W
09/26....@ La Vernia (6-21) L
10/03....OPEN
10/10....Yoakum* (49-14) W
10/17....@ Palacios* (56-7) W
10/25....Goliad* (63-6) W
10/31....Gonzales* (62-0) W
11/07....@ Edna*(54-14) W
Round 1 Somerset 47-22W
Round 2 Sealy 56-24 W
Round 3 LaFeria 55-13 W

La Vega Pirates
10/03....OPEN
10/10....Mexia* W 47-20
11/07....Lorena* L 13-20
11/15....Brownsboro** W 42-7
11/22....Tyler Chapel Hill** W 56-8
11/28....Navasota W 34-28

headhunter
12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Raider Red
How about Cuero's schedule and results? Does anyone have those results handy to post? Haven't made my pick yet. Looked at two of Cuero's games today and not sure they can handle LV's running game.

I am curious to know what games you are looking at, also please realize in almost every game this year the starters have not played the 4th quarter which is usually when the other teams pad their stats. Bay City, LaVernia, and Sealy are the only games I can recall that they had to run 4 quarters. Yes, Cuero is suspect to giving up yards but they tend to have the motto "Bend but don't Break"

I am sure that LaVega will get their yards, this is the semi's, both teams are pretty solid, it comes down to pure execution and who gets more stops.

lbjacj
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Cuero 46 vs Beeville 14 (h)
Cuero 42 Rio Hondo 7 (Neutral)
Cuero 26 Bay City 21 (h)
La Vernia 21 Cuero 6 (a)

district
Cuero 49 Yoakum 14 (h)
Cuero 56 Palacios 7 (a)
Cuero 63 Goliad 6 (a)
Cuero 61 Gonzales 0 (h)
Cuero 54 Edna 14 (a)

playoffs
Cuero 47 Somerset 22
Cuero 56 Sealy 24
Cuero 55 La Feria 13

What happened at La Vernia?:confused:

Gobbla2001
12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by lbjacj
What happened at La Vernia?:confused:

Well La Vernia always plays pretty tough at home... but they were pretty dang good this year... but Cuero really had a bad came, was coming off an emotional win and just wasn't playing together...

lot of stuff went wrong that week but give LaVern credit they blew us up...

headhunter
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
It was a good win for LaVernia and a good loss for Cuero. I believe we came out flat and had a horrible game-plan, we probably underestimated them and they hit us in the mouth all night, they played the best game of their season. Since this game our defense has been doing better each week and our offense has been clicking. I think it might have been one of those games that wakes your players up and shows them that they have to play with intensity, and they must do the "little things" right to win football games. No one is good enough to just show up and win.

jambo67
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
It looks like the O and D lines on both sides are gonna nullify each other. And that almost takes out the skill positions on each other's offense. If the QB's are equal in talent and leadership, and in this round they ought to be, then it may boil down to each team's big play ability. LeVaga can make big gains in the air if the run is working and they are dominating but if the D-line of Cuero is taking that away, then I don't know. The same counts for the Cuero offense. Somebody will have to make some big strikes on offense. And everyother football cliche will have to go their way.

Necks_Fan
12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
It looks like the O and D lines on both sides are gonna nullify each other. And that almost takes out the skill positions on each other's offense. If the QB's are equal in talent and leadership, and in this round they ought to be, then it may boil down to each team's big play ability. LeVaga can make big gains in the air if the run is working and they are dominating but if the D-line of Cuero is taking that away, then I don't know. The same counts for the Cuero offense. Somebody will have to make some big strikes on offense. And everyother football cliche will have to go their way. LV's Qb isn't half as good as Tyler Arndt.

That being said, Parr MIGHT be better than Jackson at RB.

I like the Goobers in this one. :D

I'll do my best to be there. :)

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:12 PM
LV's Qb isn't half as good as Tyler Arndt.

That being said, Parr MIGHT be better than Jackson at RB.

I like the Goobers in this one. :D

I'll do my best to be there. :)

I agree with Arndt being the better QB, he just has to learn to throw the ball away when he's in trouble and not take the sack.

Jackson is very good! And so is Parr. I can't say Jackson is any better than Parr, I haven't seen Parr play.

I still take Cuero's offense over LV any day!!

HM33
12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Tyler is on a totally different level at QB skills. As for Parr and Jackson. They have different running styles. Parr is more North and South with decent speed, more of a power runner. Jackson is the speedy scat back. Can make a move on a dime. Not saying Parr can't just not as good as Jackson. just my opinions.

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:20 PM

If you are looking at the Sealy game, compare the first half stats to the second half stats. We shut them down 2nd half. We might not stop LV completely, but neither will they. I think this might turn into a track meet!!

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Tyler is on a totally different level at QB skills. As for Parr and Jackson. They have different running styles. Parr is more North and South with decent speed, more of a power runner. Jackson is the speedy scat back. Can make a move on a dime. Not saying Parr can't just not as good as Jackson. just my opinions.

Have you seen Parr play? I haven't, just wondering.

CueroDad08
12-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Anyone have any pictures or Video on LV?

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
There is a link on Gobbler Sports to a news paper in Waco that has some stats and video and a few pics.

Here it is http://www.wacotrib.com/prep/content/sports/highschools/teams/lavega/

jambo67
12-02-2008, 08:45 PM
If Cuero has a QB with good read skills in pass situations then Cuero has a definite edge. I think the LeVaga QB can only make things happen when things are in his favor. If it comes to that then Cuero has a huge advantage.

gobbler grad
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Boomer

i've seen him play...he's quick around the outside, but stoppable...he had alot better game against Chapel Hill than Navasota, because he was good , but not impressive...i was expecting alot more...:thinking:

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
i've seen him play...he's quick around the outside, but stoppable...he had alot better game against Chapel Hill than Navasota, because he was good , but not impressive...i was expecting alot more...:thinking:

Any quicker than the Sealy kid?

gobbler grad
12-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Downey was faster, I think...Parr, really didn't try to juke anyone...he just ran

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
If Cuero has a QB with good read skills in pass situations then Cuero has a definite edge. I think the LeVaga QB can only make things happen when things are in his favor. If it comes to that then Cuero has a huge advantage.

Tyler (QB) is someone special! Lots of talent and skills. Cuero has put some top notch athletes out and Tyler ranks up there with best of them. Crazy thing is, he's only a jr.

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Downey was faster, I think...Parr, really didn't try to juke anyone...he just ran

If we just gang tackle him and wrap up, we'll be fine. Can't wait!

gobbler grad
12-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Tyler (QB) is someone special! Lots of talent and skills. Cuero has put some top notch athletes out and Tyler ranks up there with best of them. Crazy thing is, he's only a jr.

but he plays very smart...for a junior:)

Boomer
12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
but he plays very smart...for a junior:)

Yes he does! i hope he can have another game like Sealy. They didn't know if he was going to run or pass!

gobbler grad
12-02-2008, 09:21 PM
If we just gang tackle him and wrap up, we'll be fine. Can't wait!

yes, this is a must...saw Navasota , a couple of times try to arm tackle...well, he (Parr) just kept going...:thinking:

HM33
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM

Yeah, watched some film and the game last week against navasota

R3Editor
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Key to winning the game for Cuero:

Adjust to the La Vega running scheme, and don't, I repeat DON'T throw interceptions. Especially in the red zone. Three times.

P.S. Doing it in overtime hurts even worse.:(

HM33
12-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by R3Editor
Key to winning the game for Cuero:

Adjust to the La Vega running scheme, and don't, I repeat DON'T throw interceptions. Especially in the red zone. Three times.

P.S. Doing it in overtime hurts even worse.:(

LoL, yeah those were not the great decisions. If Cuero can keep it's defensive play to a minimum I see good things happening. OBV. But if the D can create one or two turn overs I think that will be all they need. That is if they don't turn it over.

Raider Red
12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I know the Cuero QB is a good one but I don't think the LV QB is getting the respect he deserves. He is a 3 year starter on a team that is 34-6 with him at QB. The comment that Cuero's QB is "twice is good", I suspect, is not accurate. I watched the film on Bay City and La Vernia. Bay City had Cuero beat until a late fumble gave them the ball back on BC side of the field in the last couple of minutes of the game. Right now, I am leaning toward LV based on quality of opponents. Just not sure Cuero has faced the same type of opponents that LV has faced. What do you think of Cuero's strenth of schedule?

HM33
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Well Cuero's district was crap. Pre-district was a B or B+. Overall I say B-.

I wish I could see some more on the LV QB but I haven't. I saw him and he is a good runner and can make big plays. He made some great plays last week in the Nav game.

jambo67
12-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Don't count on Le Vega mistakes, they don't make'em when it hurts them. That's part of their success. Cuero will just have to out physical them to win. That will allow for a big play or two at just the right time. If you lose up front then the Modoc Pirates win. To them it a'int a sprint it's a four quarter marathon, they just grind you down. Cuero better be in shape.

headhunter
12-02-2008, 10:25 PM
The strength of schedule is not as tough as LaVega's you are correct. I do think Cuero had a good non-district schedule, Beeville and Rio Hondo were 3 round playoff teams. You can't do anything about their district schedule it is what it is. We don't really know how Good Cuero is. They have beaten the crap out of everyone since LaVernia.

LaVega has been tested real well and as they should. Region III had and still has alot of very good teams. This was a very strong year for that region and LaVega took care of business in almost every game. I would even say they would have blown out Lorena had they wanted to.

LaVega should be the favorite in this game, they are loaded with talent, they have their stud Rb returning, they have been battle tested and they been playing at their highest level this season. Do I think they are a highly favorite? NO, but I think if their was a line on this game I would think it would be LaVega -2.5

headhunter
12-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Don't count on Le Vega mistakes, they don't make'em when it hurts them. That's part of their success. Cuero will just have to out physical them to win. That will allow for a big play or two at just the right time. If you lose up front then the Modoc Pirates win. To them it a'int a sprint it's a four quarter marathon, they just grind you down. Cuero better be in shape.

I agree with everything you said, that has been what I have been saying all week.

buff4ever
12-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I can't remember, but have I said that Cuero will win this game yet?

WTF-82
12-03-2008, 01:08 AM
La Vega in this one cant believe the poll is this big on Cuero in this one.

JR2004
12-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Parr MIGHT be better than Jackson at RB.

Parr is one of the best 4 RB's in the state in Class 3A (I rank them this year as Whaley, Peagram, Parr and Pratt). Next season it'll be him and Peagram from Madison as the top two RB's in Class 3A.

Gobbla2001
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
When considering the schedules and how tough of on each team faced, it looks to me as if Brownwood, Wylie, Crockett, Robinson maybe and Navasota were the big tests...

Cuero's obvious tests were of course a 2nd round La Vernia team and a 4A Bay City team that has always matched us in talent etc... They didn't make the playoffs, but they're in a tough region 3 district with the defending state champs and an El Campo team who was just edged by Brenham this past weekend

Within the game, Beeville was a test... they tested our pass defense and tested our ability to defend a scrambling QB that decides to tuck and run... I think we did okay on that test, that was a good thing for us... though we blew 'em out, this was a tough 4A team that took a 24-21 lead into halftime of their third round game against Kerrville-Tivy this past weekend...

Also, you have to call the Sealy game a test for our guys from the coaches down... When you're up 21-0 one second, and the next you're up 21-17, something going wrong and it's easy to panic...

we had done a decent job of containing their RB during our first 21, but then he just started busted our D outside and it wasn't good... our offense responded real well to finish out the quarter, but the important part was our halftime adjustments coaching-wise and how our defense really stepped up big time... we shut 'em down in the second half and even had 'em jumping into a wildcat-style O in the second half just to get something pretty on the board...

but yah, our district sucks...

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2008, 08:21 AM
GO MEAN GREEN!

OldBison75
12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Whatever you do, don't underrate the LV quarterback. He is very quick and makes excellent decisions. Yes, he plays in a system that usually relies on a running game, but when he passes, he sees the field as good as any QB in 3A. He is also very quick and can scramble. When he decides to run, either scrambling or on designed plays, he is a tough runner and will cover alot of ground in a hurry. Parr is not as shifty as Downey from Sealy, but he is fast. He reaches the corner very fast and won't be tackled by just arm tackles. He has to be wrapped up and fought to the ground. In the Navasota game, I don't think he was tackled by one person more than once all night.

As for mistakes, I will say that LV protects the football better than any team Navasota played all year. The backs will almost always cover the ball on contact and I don't see them making many turnovers.

Boomer
12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Just like I said, the game will be won in the trenches. From what I heard, Parr is a tough runner and will get his yards. It is the QB breaking loose and making plays on 3rd down that will hurt. Our defense will need to contain him of the play action bootleg.

HM33
12-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Is it Saturday yet?????

pirate4state
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
97-42 in favor of the Gobblers

Gobbla2001
12-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
97-42 in favor of the Gobblers

Figured this poll would be even... I guess 55 people just wanna see LV lose that bad...

rojosgirl
12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Big tailgating party for Gobbler fans in the parking lot Saturday from 5:00-6:00. Mr. Spencer's (GO-MEAN-GREEN) chili and more.
Come early,stay late, wear green and be LOUD!

GO GOBBLERS!

Gobbla2001
12-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Big tailgating party for Gobbler fans in the parking lot Saturday from 5:00-6:00. Mr. Spencer's (GO-MEAN-GREEN) chili and more.
Come early,stay late, wear green and be LOUD!

GO GOBBLERS!

Not sure I wanna eat anything that guy cooks/eats...

just joshin' ya WG ;) :D

44INAROW
12-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Not sure I wanna eat anything that guy cooks/eats...

just joshin' ya WG ;) :D

little birdy told me HM33's mom is making chicken and dumplings..... ;)

pirate4state
12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Figured this poll would be even... I guess 55 people just wanna see LV lose that bad... isn't it funny? i get a good laugh out of it...i will admit to having done that in the past :doh: :o

i no longer vote in these polls

turkey_trot06
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Go Cuero!

I hope we don't have to play Abilene Wylie though - I cheered at that state game...and it was so devastating the way we lost.

But then again, maybe we can redeem ourselves!

rojosgirl
12-03-2008, 03:05 PM
I was there too! Loosing on the last play of the game is devastating! Think I'd rather get hammered than to loose a close one.:(

44INAROW
12-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
I was there too! Loosing on the last play of the game is devastating! Think I'd rather get hammered than to loose a close one.:(

yep - losing on the last play will make you want to go out and GET hammered :p
Sorry - that just hit me funny.......

HM33
12-03-2008, 04:34 PM
little birdy told me HM33's mom is making chicken and dumplings..... ;)

Well I haven't even heard this. I guess I will have to be early for the game :)

Gobbla2001
12-03-2008, 06:03 PM
yep - losing on the last play will make you want to go out and GET hammered :p

And that's what I did... I took it easy at George's before the game... but I really drowned my sorrows afterwards... then I ripped some dude's leg off and the rest is history...

and did someone say Chicken and Dumplings? damn that sounds fantastic...

bleacherbum
12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
man, chicken and dumplings! and i think i heard chili and tailgaiting! sounds like the bleacherbum will have to show up extra early.

Boomer
12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun!! Can't wait.

gobbler grad
12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
TAILGATE...

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

gobbler grad
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
just got back from Booster Club...damn, if you weren't there, you missed some good shrimp gumbo...and of course all the good beverages to go with it...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wimbo_pro
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
OK...just checked in from the LH/Bridgeport thread, which is a day-long endeavor just to keep up with it. I had to put my 2 cents in on this huge game...

I know nothing about La Vega, except their record, their stats, the bad press they have gotten for obvious (and in my opinion unfair) reasons, and the poorly supported but yet persisting accusations some have made abou their coaches choices in the last few games of the season....

I dont really care about all that, and I personally "judge" La Vega as innocent of all these allegations and bogus claims, lest someone comes forward with more than pure horse crap speculation......

With this said, I must cast my vote for Cuero to beat the bergeebers out of La Vega. Thank you for listening.

Gobbla2001
12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Man I just love our unis...

get 'em boys

http://images.townnews.com/cuerorecord.com/content/articles/2008/12/03/news/news1.jpg

http://images.townnews.com/cuerorecord.com/content/articles/2008/12/03/sports/sports1.jpg

http://www.gobblersports.com/images/stories/2008/football/sealy/img_8769.jpg

bleacherbum
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Its THURSDAY: 2 more days until Saturday!:)

Raider Red
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
After much debate and analyzation of these two teams, I am finally ready to make my prediction. Here's my thoughts...Both teams have gone deep in the playoffs the last 3 years so that's a push. Both have excellent coaching staffs so that's a push. Both have excellent QB leaders and excellent running backs-push. So the main thing I have to give the edge to is the strength of schedule. LV has played a much tougher schedule with Brownwood (ranked in top 5) when they played them and held them to 14 points, Abilene Wylie (still in the playoffs), Dallas Roosevelt (a playoff team), Crockett (playoff team),
Mexia (playoff team), Lorena (playoff team), Tyler Chapel Hill (9-1 and ranked when they played), Navasota (undefeated and highly ramked). LV plays a ball control offense that has not been stopped consistently and has no turnovers in the playoffs. They keep the ball away from other team and are usually up another score when they give it back. Their defense gives up yards from 20 to 20 but plays extremely tough in the red zone (Navasota and Chapel Hill). They have faced two of the top RB's in the last two weeks and gave up yards but only 1 td to rbs.
Advantage to LV based on these reasons and 31-14 LV win.
Just my opinion and based on my own research. I do think it will be one heck of a game and wish it would hurry up and get here.
Good luck to both teams and hope it is injury free for both teams.

Also, I would like to compliment all the posters on this thread. it has been nice to not read all the smack talk and finger pointing like on some of the other threads. This one seems to be more about good analyzing of the teams and less about chest thumping.

rojosgirl
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
WOW is right! Can't believe "reponsible" adults are teaching our young people to behave in such a way. Pitiful indeed! :tisk:

44INAROW
12-04-2008, 01:03 PM
LINK (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/topsports/story/368829.html)

Defensive challenge
Cuero could have its hands full with explosive La Vega offensive unit

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
December 03, 2008 - 10:42 p.m.
CUERO - Cuero coach Mark Reeve believes a team plays like it practices, so the tackling going on during drills on Wednesday afternoon was for a reason.

The Gobblers (11-1) will have to contain the most talented and explosive offense they've faced this season to be successful against Waco La Vega (11-2) in their Class 3A, Division I semifinal playoff game Saturday at 7 p.m. at Round Rock ISD Stadium.

"We have to get lined up right and we also have to tackle well," Cuero safety Jennings Boothe said. "That's the main thing. If you're lined up right and you don't tackle, it doesn't matter. If we tackle, we'll be OK."

Tackling La Vega running back Chris Parr has been a challenge when he's been on the field.

Parr missed most of the season after he was arrested and charged with armed robbery in August.

But the charges were dropped by the McLennan County district attorney last month and Parr returned to the lineup and carried 10 times for 158 yards and three touchdowns in the Pirates' 56-8 regional win over Tyler Chapel Hill.

Parr had 35 carries for 190 yards and three touchdowns in last week's 34-28 quarterfinal win in overtime against Navasota.

"He's a power runner, he's got good speed and he runs hard," Reeve said of Parr. "He's a good athlete. He has a lot of experience in that offense."

Parr is not the only offensive threat for La Vega, which will operate out of a traditional wing-T set and also shift to a spread formation.

Running back Chad Ward is the Pirates' leading rusher and quarterback Danzel Wilson, who scored the winning touchdown against Navasota, is a three-year starter.

"It's always going to be the battle up front and who wins at the line of scrimmage," Reeve said. "We've got to be real disciplined and fill the right gaps. It's a whole lot like we saw in the Bay City game. I think we've learned a lot since the Bay City game so hopefully that will help us out."

The Cuero defense is yielding an average of just over 241 yards per game. The most points Cuero has surrendered in a game this season was the 24 Sealy scored in Cuero's 56-24 regional playoff win.

Sealy running back Dexter Downey rushed for 226 yards and three touchdowns, including scoring runs of 62 and 42 yards.

"We have to make sure the defense is lined up in the right front and everybody knows what they're going to do," linebacker Jake Rangnow said. "They're a good, tough team. They run the ball well and they also throw the ball well when they have to. They've got a bunch of good athletes, they're fast and they're big so we're going to have to come ready. Coach always gets a good plan and we've just got to execute every day in practice."

The Gobblers also have to carry what they practice onto the field against La Vega.

"I know their running back runs hard, he's going to find any hole and he's hard to tackle," linebacker Troy Ruiz said. "We have to take better angles to the ball and get more than one person making the tackle."

NOTES: Pre-sale tickets for the semifinal game are $8 for adults and $5 for students and are available at the Cuero school district administration office. All tickets at the gate will be $10.
GO MEAN GREEN

CHSVARSITYDAD
12-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I believe35-14 LV is crazy. I'll take this one in the trenches and will say that pound for pound we match up! I'll also say that we have the edge on physical strength,we wont get bullied around and your big boys will get tired. My son has'nt given up a sack all year and he will smash LV linebackers in the mouth all night!!!!
How's that for smack !

Gobbler Fan
12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=2243

By Jake Shaw/TexasFootball.com

DIVISION I SEMIFINALS
Abilene Wylie (11-2) vs. Prosper (12-1) 6 p.m. Saturday, Mansfield ISD Stadium
DCTF's breakdown: If Texas high school football mirrored the college football world, Abilene Wylie might not be ranked. And thus, it might not have a chance at a title. Yet Texas high school football settles things with integrity -- on the field -- and thus Wylie's lack of "style points" and flashy, award-winning players hasn't prevented Wylie from another late-season push.

Check out Wylie's individual statistics. The team doesn't have a 1,000-yard rusher, and though QB Matt Preston has just more than 1,200 passing yards, he has both 12 TDs and INTs. Then see how Wylie beat China Spring, 24-21, last week -- getting just 188 total yards of offense. Wylie may not look like a juggernaut when it plays, but outside of losses to Liberty Hill and Wolfforth Frenship -- two teams still unbeaten and alive in the playoffs -- by a combined eight points, Wylie simply wins, mostly because of a punishing defense.

Like Wylie, Prosper's only loss came to an undefeated team still playing in the postseason (Bridgeport by six points), but similarities end there. Prosper has not one but two 1,000-yard rushers, Bryan Monroe and Hunter Nix, and Nix has also passed for 1,676 and 21 TDs. Prosper also scored 31 or more points in nine of its games compared to just four time by Wylie.

Thus, I really think each team's advantage is clear: Prosper has the superior offense, Wylie the superior defense, yet both teams aren't slouches on the other side of the ball. Accordingly, Prosper's strength will go up against Wylie's strength. And though I usually side with offenses, I think Wylie's defense carries Wylie to the next round. Padilla Poll says: Wylie by 7 Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Wylie by 4 TexasFootball.com says: Wylie 27, Prosper 21

Waco La Vega (11-2) vs. Cuero (11-1) 7 p.m. Saturday, Round Rock ISD Stadium
DCTF's breakdown: Much has been made of the return of La Vega's junior RB, Chris Parr, a player suspended for the entire regular season for an off-field legal issue. County officials cleared Parr of any alleged wrong-doing, and though Parr had attended an alternative campus most of the season, he was reinstated just before playing Chapel Hill in the second round.

And while debates of La Vega's decision to reinstate Parr will not dissolve even when La Vega's playoff run ends, nobody can question Parr's impact on the field. Coaches eased Parr into the Chapel Hill game (10 carries, 158 yards, 3 TDs), but against Navasota, Parr was the gameplan. He rushed 35 times for 190 yards (and three more TDs) and also caught two passes in the 34-28 OT win.

I can't help but think La Vega will rely on Parr just as much this week, so I expect Cuero coaches will tailor their defensive approach accordingly. And I don't think La Vega has the luxury of singling out one player. Cuero can beat you either passing (behind junior standout Tyler Arndt) or running. In pasting La Feria last weekend, Arndt passed for 275 yards while 10 different rushers combined for 235 yards.

This is Cuero's fourth state semifinal in the past five years. Only once has Cuero made it to the next step, but I think Cuero makes it twice after this weekend. Padilla Poll says: Cuero by 5 Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Cuero by 2 TexasFootball.com says: Cuero 35, La Vega 33

DIVISION II QUARTERFINALS

REGION I
Bridgeport (12-0) vs. Liberty Hill (13-0) 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Waco's Floyd Casey Stadium DCTF's breakdown: While some teams playing in weak regions have the equivalent of a free pass to the state semifinals, Liberty Hill -- both this year and the previous two title-winning seasons -- has earned it every step of the way. Bridgeport becomes the next major obstacle blocking Liberty Hill's path. Having quietly gone 13-0, Bridgeport has beaten three teams that won at least nine games behind the brother duo of Cameron and Corbin Green on offense. But I'm not sold on the Bridgeport defense, not enough to contain Liberty Hill's power running game. Padilla Poll says: Liberty Hill by 8 Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Liberty Hill by 7 TexasFootball.com says: Liberty Hill 25, Bridgeport 17

REGION II
Celina (10-3) vs. Kaufman (10-3) 7:30 p.m. Friday, Royse City DCTF's breakdown: As the record shows, Celina has been more vulnerable this year than any in the past 5-6 years. The big orange machine lost three times over a span of five games, the third game the least competitive of all (33-7 against Prosper). Celina has three total losses in the previous five seasons combined. Celina hadn't lost three times in a single season since 1997. Yet this program won't go down easily. I expect Celina to win this weekend, but it has nothing to do with its illustrious past. Celina and Kaufman share two common opponents: Kennedale and Argyle. Celina and Kaufman beat both teams, but the point differentials are quite different. Kaufman won those games by a combined eight points; Celina by a combined 55. That says it all. Padilla Poll says: Celina by 10 Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Celina by 10 TexasFootball.com says: Celina 42, Kaufman 28

REGION III
Gilmer (12-1) vs. Carthage (11-2) 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nacogdoches (SFA Stadium) DCTF's breakdown: For the life of me, I can't find any separation between these teams. Gilmer has a star QB, Darien "Stump" Godfrey (2,663 yards, 32 TDs passing), and RB, Jeremy Jackson (nearly 1,000 yards, 11 TDs), as does Carthage: RB, Dwight Smith, whose 2,028 rushing yards puts him 142 off the school-record pace, teams with QB Si'Darius Blackshire (2,369 yards, 35 TDs). These two playoff foes also share four common opponents: Jasper, Kilgore, Tatum and Diboll, and both went 3-1 against the teams -- both losing to Kilgore. Gilmer is +102 in point differential against those teams; Carthage is +98. Obviously, that difference is negligible. But what Gilmer has is what Carthage is just now building under second-year coach Scott Surratt: consistent playoff success. Carthage has won more than 10 games for the first time since 1991 when it won 15 and lost in the state finals. Gilmer played for a state title just last year and has won 10 or more games for the sixth straight season. Gilmer's program is the best thing going in East Texas right now. Padilla Poll says: Gilmer by 3 Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Gilmer by 6 TexasFootball.com says: Gilmer 45, Carthage 42

REGION IV
Bellville (12-1) vs. Giddings (10-3) 7:30 p.m. Friday, The Woodlands' Woodforest Stadium DCTF's breakdown: Giddings has experienced the post-Peyton Manning effect this season -- and that's a good thing. The year after Manning left Tennessee (or the other UT), Tennessee won the national title. This season has been the first for Giddings without QB Brock Fitzhenry (a freshman at the UT), yet Giddings has traveled one round deeper than '07. But to get past Bellville, a team it lost to, 20-14, it must have greater offensive consistency. Giddings only two TDs were the results of big plays, not long drives. In a close rematch, I often think the losing team has the advantage. It will likely make more adjustments, and thus, I think Giddings gets revenge this weekend. Padilla Poll says: Giddings by 1 Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Bellville by 2 TexasFootball.com says: Giddings 27, Bellville 21

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 01:30 PM
LV has played a much tougher schedule with Brownwood (ranked in top 5) when they played them and held them to 14 points, Abilene Wylie (still in the playoffs), Dallas Roosevelt (a playoff team), Crockett (playoff team),
Mexia (playoff team), Lorena (playoff team), Tyler Chapel Hill (9-1 and ranked when they played), Navasota (undefeated and highly ramked).

atleast you bring a lot of information on why you think they'll win, I like that...

Brownwood ended up being hype, top 5 or whatever, they didn't make the playoffs... that's just a name to me right now... telling Arkansas State they were going in to play A&M at Kyle Field 20 years ago may have meant something, it means nothing right now...

Wylie? Hell, enough said on that one they damn good...

But I guess Cuero didn't play a tough schedule?

Beeville (Cuero 45-17)... Beeville was just knocked out of the 4A playoffs in the 3rd round... led opponent 24-21 at halftime in that game... Gave Lake Travis their toughest run in the playoffs last year... ...

Rio Hondo (Cuero 49-7)... Rio Hondo was just knocked out of the playoffs last week, had a good run at Giddings but wasn't enough in the end...

Bay City (Cuero 26-20)... A tough 4A team that plays in a knock-down-drag-out district... very athletic team, always match us talent-wise and it seems it's becoming a rivalry...

La Vernia (LV 20-6... ouch)... playoff team that woke Cuero up...

Bye Week (They never lose)

and OF COURSE two teams made it to the playoffs out of our district, just as they did out of WLV's, and they weren't very good...

"Lorena (playoff team)" HAHA, could barely beat WLV's second stringers, wow what a test...

Sealy (Cuero 56-24)... That was in the playoffs, so of course it was a playoff team... Only brought this one up because they were preseason top 10 in almost every preseason poll (a little Brownwood treatment for you)...

BUTTTT, since most of these are Reg. 4 teams I guess we have the weaker schedule so yah, point taken
:rolleyes:

bleacherbum
12-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Good post Gobbla. Everyone likes to talk about Cuero's weak district, but you can't pick those games. They were on the schedule and the Gobblers took care of business in the first half of every game. The games they can pick, the scheduled pretty darn tough and still took care of business. (Minus that trip to La Vernia).

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't even know why I should have to defend Cuero's schedule etc... here... I really shouldn't be discussing it, I should just be waiting for Saturday as I believe we'll all enjoy a great game...

Just rubs me the wrong way that people who don't step a foot outta their region to see a game present their one-way view as if it's gathered through all-knowing experience... they really haven't seen much but maybe a game on or something... hell I coulda watched WLV tear up Mexia on video and say "wow, that team sucked, they aint played nobody"... but since they make the playoffs I'm supposed to say WOWWWW...

hell, 96 teams make the playoffs and half of 'em suck...

Raider Red
12-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Sorry you took my evaluation personally. Did not intend for that to be the case. Just my opinion. I have the upmost respect for the Cuero program and all it has done through out the years. I will bow out now and keep my thoughts to myself. I don't engage in smack talk and i certainly do not ever intend to downgrade a program in any way. Again, I apoligize if you took it that way. It was not intended that way.

44INAROW
12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Sorry you took my evaluation personally. Did not intend for that to be the case. Just my opinion. I have the upmost respect for the Cuero program and all it has done through out the years. I will bow out now and keep my thoughts to myself. I don't engage in smack talk and i certainly do not ever intend to downgrade a program in any way. Again, I apoligize if you took it that way. It was not intended that way.

no smack talk - just presenting the "other side" with their research........... don't leave.............. ;)

Old Green
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry you took my evaluation personally. Did not intend for that to be the case. Just my opinion. I have the upmost respect for the Cuero program and all it has done through out the years. I will bow out now and keep my thoughts to myself. I don't engage in smack talk and i certainly do not ever intend to downgrade a program in any way. Again, I apoligize if you took it that way. It was not intended that way. Gobbla didn't take it personal.
He's actually paying you a compliment for stating facts to back your statements.:)

Continue to post your unbiased opinions:thumbsup:

headhunter
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM

I liked your opinion and I also liked Gobbla's response, You make a great point and I can agree that LaVega would probably be the favorite if this game had a line on it. I do think the 35-14 score would be a stretch. But you are entitled to your opinion and I especially like it when you give reasons why. That is why this thread is so good because all posters provide good info and don't just post stupid remarks. Again we can all sit here and debate which team has a tougher schedule but in reality what we have is a semi final game against the two hottest teams in their region playing their best football so far. No surprise that this will be a good game.

And about Dave Campbell, I think he does have some proof, their was text messages from players saying they threw the game. Not that it matters, Cuero is going to play LaVega in Round Rock on Saturday night regardless of who they have beat and regardless of who is in uniform, they are going to give it all they got, execute as well as they can, and hope they get a few breaks and get a W. No excuses here in Cuero, they just line up and play ball. Should be a great one!!!

Raider Red
12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I think it will be a good game and most competitiive no matter who wins. I wish both teams good luck and hope they both play to their ability.

headhunter
12-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I have said this all year, we still don't really know how good the Gobblers are, Is their schedule weak, or are they just that damn good. After all the dust settles on this season we might have a good idea. I do think they played a fairly tough predistrict schedule and a very good Sealy team. I also think LaVega played a good predistrict schedule and I'm not sure but their district matched up about the same as Cuero's. Both teams took care of business and that is why they are here. The one advantage (or possibly disadvantage) I can give to LaVega is that they played a very good Navasota team last week, this can be a positive in the sense that they have won a close game and have played a team with good size and good speed. They may be ready to play at a faster pace. Or it could be a disadvantage as to possibly being a little banged up and it is hard to continually play back to back weeks with the same intensity. This does happen to teams that have a big win and then come out a little flat or things just don't seem to go their way early on. I don't see this happening but I do expect this to be the most physical game either team has played.

44INAROW
12-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Is it Saturday yet?? This has been a fun thread all week long - keep it up guys...... :)
GO MEAN GREEN :)

bleacherbum
12-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I have said this all year, we still don't really know how good the Gobblers are, Is their schedule weak, or are they just that damn good. After all the dust settles on this season we might have a good idea. I do think they played a fairly tough predistrict schedule and a very good Sealy team. I also think LaVega played a good predistrict schedule and I'm not sure but their district matched up about the same as Cuero's. Both teams took care of business and that is why they are here. The one advantage (or possibly disadvantage) I can give to LaVega is that they played a very good Navasota team last week, this can be a positive in the sense that they have won a close game and have played a team with good size and good speed. They may be ready to play at a faster pace. Or it could be a disadvantage as to possibly being a little banged up and it is hard to continually play back to back weeks with the same intensity. This does happen to teams that have a big win and then come out a little flat or things just don't seem to go their way early on. I don't see this happening but I do expect this to be the most physical game either team has played.

I think you make a good point about that La Vega/Navasota game. Will La Vega feed off of that win and come with the same intensity. It can be tough to get up week after week like you said. Much like Cuero came out flat against La Vernia the week after a high intensity emotional win against Bay City.

bleacherbum
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh and had to get this in today:

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

GreenMachine
12-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I still call this game a toss-up, but I give a very, very slight edge to my Gobblers and here's why. Without having seen LV play, but a friend has, they run the majority of the time. They are very good at it, hence they don't throw the ball often. Not throwing the ball very often can hurt IF the run can be contained. On the other hand, Cuero throws or runs the ball with equal effectiveness. SO, you take away the run, we throw and vice-versa. That is what we do every game, so we stay sharp doing both. Just my meager $.02.

trojan37
12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
I know another team who doesn't run the ball and they haven't lost a game in 2 years. La Vega eats teams up all day with the run, with Parr and Ward in the backfield. You have to key on those 2 guys or they will eat you alive, but the minute you go to sleep they will pass on you. It's not common for them to do but they can.

Green Bling
12-04-2008, 05:16 PM
IMO, we haven't seen the Gobblers play their best game yet. Coach Reeve is doing a great job of bringing the team along to peak here toward the end of the season. It seems to me that each week we have corrected mistakes made in our previous game and have improved with each subsequent game. Can't waot till Sat. Wear your green bling and bring the noise makers.
Go Green!!:D

44INAROW
12-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Green Bling
IMO, we haven't seen the Gobblers play their best game yet. Coach Reeve is doing a great job of bringing the team along to peak here toward the end of the season. It seems to me that each week we have corrected mistakes made in our previous game and have improved with each subsequent game. Can't waot till Sat. Wear your green bling and bring the noise makers.
Go Green!!:D

Welcome Green Bling

and

GO MEAN GREEN

GreenMachine
12-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I know another team who doesn't run the ball and they haven't lost a game in 2 years. La Vega eats teams up all day with the run, with Parr and Ward in the backfield. You have to key on those 2 guys or they will eat you alive, but the minute you go to sleep they will pass on you. It's not common for them to do but they can. You are comparing apples to oranges. LH doesn't have a Parr, but what they do have is GREAT misdirection, confusion and technique. What LV has is pitch it to Parr and let him do his stuff. Not saying that is bad because it obviously is not, but not the same as LH. ;)

trojan37
12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I mean't to say I know a team who doesn't pass the ball, not run the ball. Nonetheless, you're right about LH, they do run great misdirection. But Parr is a bruising running back. If he is on his game he is tough to stop. He doesn't run around you he runs through you. I'm not saying he can't be stopped, it will just be hard.

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm glad this thread has gotten interesting... I mean I'm glad we've been civil and all, but it was seeming a little hand-holdish for me ha...

As for La Vega being banged up after last week? Sure, but they also go in with an extra 24 hours of rest... plus, 15 weeks into the season (counting zero week), 14-17 year old high school kids are gunna be banged up no matter who they've played... never seen a team that hasn't hit...

headhunter
12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Good point - everyone is nicked up by this point in the season, but the Saturday issue will be another interesting detail. It will be interesting to see if the extra day effects their preparation any, Cuero played last week and I don't think it effected them at all because that week was screwed up enough with Thanksgiving and all.

Gobbla2001

I didn't take it personal, you gotta understand I've been going back and forth on another thread about the whole region 3 and region 4 arguement an some of it carried over here...

you presented your arguement well and in a respectful fashion, sorry if I came across disrespectful... and personally I just wanted a little more fire in this thread because I was expecting people to start kissing and stuff ha...

I like excitement...

can't wait for saturday

jambo67
Originally posted by trojan37
I mean't to say I know a team who doesn't pass the ball, not run the ball. Nonetheless, you're right about LH, they do run great misdirection. But Parr is a bruising running back. If he is on his game he is tough to stop. He doesn't run around you he runs through you. I'm not saying he can't be stopped, it will just be hard.

Trojan37 wasn't making a direct comparison in running styles. Both teams do run for the most part but one is power(LV) and one is finesse(LH). I am certain LH has the stuff to run a power game they just haven't chosen to do so.

Gobbla2001
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Trojan37 wasn't making a direct comparison in running styles. Both teams do run for the most part but one is power(LV) and one is finesse(LH). I am certain LH has the stuff to run a power game they just haven't chosen to do so.

yah, if it aint broke, don't fix it...

the last two years they could've gone into a power running style and done well with a heavier, tougher line, but I don't think as well as they're doing now... that system is so stuck in those kids heads that the team may fall apart if they did anything else...

one of the best jobs by a coach done there... got the kids, hell the whole town to buy into what he wanted to do and they haven't looked back...

gobbler grad
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
just one more...

GO MEAN GREEN...GO MEAN GREEN...GO MEAN GREEN

:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

HM33
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
So who all is going tailgating?

martwayne
12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
since i am a navasota rattlers fan i figured that at this point in the season it was going to be navasota vs. cuero, but after seeing la vega play last week, (they played a good game against my rattlers) i have to say , cuero look out, this team is ready and going to beat ya'll.

La Vega 48
Cuero 20

and ps...

i plan on making this game, i will sit on the la vega side and be wearing my rattler hoodey

CueroDad08
12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by martwayne
since i am a navasota rattlers fan i figured that at this point in the season it was going to be navasota vs. cuero, but after seeing la vega play last week, (they played a good game against my rattlers) i have to say , cuero look out, this team is ready and going to beat ya'll.

La Vega 48
Cuero 20

and ps...

i plan on making this game, i will sit on the la vega side and be wearing my rattler hoodey

100% of all teams that just get beat always go with the team that just beat them. That way in there mind they can always say we got beat by the best. What side will you be on next week? And what color Hoodey will you have on then?

bleedsbabyblue
12-05-2008, 12:05 AM
100% of all teams that just get beat always go with the team that just beat them. That way in there mind they can always say we got beat by the best. What side will you be on next week? And what color Hoodey will you have on then?

well, i'm not a navasota fan, i'm a china spring fan. la vega didn't beat my team last week, but i do know a little bit about the pirates and even less about the gobblers. however, having seen both teams, in my opinion, cuero doesn't stand a chance. sorry. (i really mean it!) maybe next year.

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 12:31 AM
you know what... no message... :clap:

buff4ever
12-05-2008, 12:53 AM
I know now that I have said this, but cuero will win this game.

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 07:56 AM
ahhh... tomorrow ladies and fellas... tomorrow :)

44INAROW
12-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by bleedsbabyblue
well, i'm not a navasota fan, i'm a china spring fan. la vega didn't beat my team last week, but i do know a little bit about the pirates and even less about the gobblers. however, having seen both teams, in my opinion, cuero doesn't stand a chance. sorry. (i really mean it!) maybe next year.

thanks for playing ;)

which game did you see Cuero play THIS year? just asking....

Is it Saturday yet??? :doh:

gobbler grad
12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
i'm ready for some football...hurry up Saturday...
how many Cuero posters hitting the pep rally tonight...

GO MEAN GREEN

bleacherbum
12-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Not me Im heading to ATX tonight to mentally prepare myself for Saturday night. Hope its a big one though.

AND:

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

greenpride
12-05-2008, 10:48 AM
IF Navasota could have played mistake free ball, you guys would have WON the game. Your coaches did a great job of adjusting to the LV run during the middle of the second quarter. When you turn the ball over in the red zone like you guys did, the outcome is usually the way it ended up. Let's see how this weekend ends up before you assume Cuero is not capable of winning the game!

GO MEAN GREEN

Originally posted by martwayne

La Vega 48
Cuero 20

and ps...

gobbler grad
12-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by greenpride
IF Navasota could have played mistake free ball, you guys would have WON the game. Your coaches did a great job of adjusting to the LV run during the middle of the second quarter. When you turn the ball over in the red zone like you guys did, the outcome is usually the way it ended up. Let's see how this weekend ends up before you assume Cuero is not capable of winning the game!

GO MEAN GREEN

so true...:iagree:

GreenMachine
12-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bleedsbabyblue
well, i'm not a navasota fan, i'm a china spring fan. la vega didn't beat my team last week, but i do know a little bit about the pirates and even less about the gobblers. however, having seen both teams, in my opinion, cuero doesn't stand a chance. sorry. (i really mean it!) maybe next year. Even so, that means we started basketball season a week later than ya'll.

Sundance
12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I hear pollsters in other chat rooms say Cuero doesnt stand a chance with LV. I know if we go out and play heads up football nothing is impossible. LET'S SEE IF THEY CAN HANDLE A BALANCED OF GOBBLER PRIDE.

GO MEAN GREEN :clap: :clap: :D :D :cool:

Modoc
12-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I still say my boys run away with this one....

Footballhudini
12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
cuero is one of few teams in region IV with region III capabilities

are they not favored by many? how can people say the stand not a chance? IMO should be a great game with overtime potential

gobbler grad
12-05-2008, 03:10 PM
many mistakes by the Gobblers, constitutes a runaway...:thinking:

just don't see that happening tomorrow night...:evillol:

will be back and forth ...maybe...or Cuero by a few...:D

JT44
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
definitely no mistakes/turnovers, that's how cuero got in a hole quick against China spring.

cshscougar08
12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
definitely no mistakes/turnovers, that's how cuero got in a hole quick against China spring.

Yup. Although that first touchdown, Mike just flat out ran everyone to the end zone.

I the possibility of La Vega flat out running roughshod in this one. I think La Vega will win, but it will be close. But one slip up by Cuero and you can kiss this one goodbye.

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 03:31 PM

which game did you see Cuero play THIS year? just asking....

probably talking about last year... which he's right, because players don't graduate, players don't move up and player do not get better or worse :rolleyes:

HM33
12-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Wow some good talk going on in here. Wish I could keep up with it. And whoever thinks it will be a blow out by LV is mentally challenged. Sorry, but IMO LV should have their round balls out right now. Nav handed LV the game last week. :)

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I have a very large roll of paper at work... thinking about writing a large message on it... would anyone care to help me hold it up?

Says "Hope you had fun in Division One"

takers? any?

;)

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Says "Hope you had fun in Division One"

"We went Division One 'cos we HAD to"????

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 03:39 PM

"I brought my friend so he could drive while I get drunk on the way home"?????

44INAROW
12-05-2008, 03:43 PM

clever :D

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
"I brought my friend so he could drive while I get drunk on the way home"?????

"MODOC: Made Our Division On Chances"

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 03:50 PM
give us some sign ideas MODOC and others pulling for 'em... could be fun... getting bored with myself here...

Gobbla2001
12-05-2008, 03:52 PM
crap I gotta go back to work for "hopefully another hour and a half... you guys better have some nice signage up before I get back...