PDA

View Full Version : BCS Question

Astrosdawg07
11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
In the past week it was discussed about Texas not winning the big 12 but still playing in the NCG. However some said you have to win your conference to play in the NCG, while others said you don't have to. Can someone please find in writing what the actual rule is, I couldn't find it...

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
In the past week it was discussed about Texas not winning the big 12 but still playing in the NCG. However some said you have to win your conference to play in the NCG, while others said you don't have to. Can someone please find in writing what the actual rule is, I couldn't find it...

there is no written rule that states you cannot play in the championship if you do not win your confrence...

both Nebraska and OU have done this...

Snyder_TigerFan
11-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
there is no written rule that states you cannot play in the championship if you do not win your confrence...

both Nebraska and OU have done this...

But if you win your conference, you are guaranteed a bcs game, right? My question is what bcs rankings determine the 1 and 2 team, are they after the conference games?

Astrosdawg07
11-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Ok, then why wouldn't Texas just want OSU to beat OU instead of it being a close game and then having to play the #'s game with the computer. Who gives a damn about the Big 12 title, when you can play for a National Championship????

Snyder_TigerFan
11-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Ok, then why wouldn't Texas just want OSU to beat OU instead of it being a close game and then having to play the #'s game with the computer. Who gives a damn about the Big 12 title, when you can play for a National Championship????

Kind of what I'm thinking too.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:23 PM

Say Bama beats FL... with that scenerio (OU losing) and Tech winning the confrence championship Tech would likely jump those teams in the standings and with a head to head win over Texas they'd have a pretty damn good shot at making the title game...

the years OU and Neb went no one else really stood out... this year USC and Tech stand out a bit along with Texas, so their chances of making it without winning the confrence championship are not as solid...

Astrosdawg07
11-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I see what your sayin, but with Tech's come from behind win against BAYLOR today, and a no longer impressive MIZZOU team I just don't see it.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:27 PM
I see what your sayin, but with Tech's come from behind win against BAYLOR today, and a no longer impressive MIZZOU team I just don't see it.

I think that win over UT still gives 'em an edge though...

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Plus, I believe with this 45-35 campaign has gotten in the voters' heads... I think when it all comes down to it, they'll realize voting OU over Texas would be like La Vega beating Navasota last night yet the voters voting Navasota to the next round... UT already won their playoff with OU...

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 09:33 PM
If OSU wins this game, Tech will go to the Big XII Championship. Regardless to that outcome, they will not pass up Texas in the BCS rankings.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by BTownVBall3
If OSU wins this game, Tech will go to the Big XII Championship. Regardless to that outcome, they will not pass up Texas in the BCS rankings.

if they win the B12 championship I believe they would...

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 09:36 PM
After the loss to OU by such a huge margin, NOBODY will put them in the national championship.

Stownhorse
11-29-2008, 09:37 PM
How is this even relevant? What about the conferences that dont even have championships? You dont have to win your conference. That wouldnt be very fair. Hell it still isnt fair for the teams that have conference championships. They have to play one more game and it can decide weather or not you go to the NC.

eagles_victory
11-29-2008, 09:38 PM
As a Texas fan i have to say this. If OSU wins and Tech wins the big 12 title you have to put Tech in the NC game over UT bc they won the Big 12 and beat Texas head to head. If this happens this whole 45-35 argument may backfire.

marler1972
Tech should jump Texas if they win the conf.champ game. They beat them head to head is that not the way they are going about it with OU?

Gobbla2001
After the loss to OU by such a huge margin, NOBODY will put them in the national championship.

I dunno man, Neb got rolled their last regular season game and made it...

sorry, if FL loses and OU loses, Tech and Texas would be very close in the rankings and they'd chose Tech...

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Realize that the entire BCS process is about money. Texas Tech will not be put in the BCS National Championship because of this if nothing else. No coach is going to vote in a team that lost by 40 two weeks prior.

marler1972
11-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Realize that the entire BCS process is about money. Texas Tech will not be put in the BCS National Championship because of this if nothing else. No coach is going to vote in a team that lost by 40 two weeks prior.

SHould not matter when the loss is the fact is thay all have one loss.

DDBooger
I dunno man, Neb got rolled their last regular season game and made it...

sorry, if FL loses and OU loses, Tech and Texas would be very close in the rankings and they'd chose Tech... did Neb lose by 44pts?

Gobbla2001

Who'd lose money with Tech being in the championship? I don't get that?

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
did Neb lose by 44pts?

no, but they didn't win a confrence championship either...

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 09:45 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME THEY LOST BY 40. Coaches in pollsters are the deciding factors in this. They will not vote in Texas Tech. It does matter greatly when u lose, not just that you lose. Along with that...MARGIN OF LOSS.

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 09:46 PM
You're trying to tell me that Texas Tech has the same market value as a USC, Penn St, OU, or Texas.

DDBooger
11-29-2008, 09:48 PM
no, but they didn't win a confrence championship either... situational differences are contextual, Ut is hardly entering in the same manner, where as Tech would have more in common with Neb based on the throttling no?

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:49 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME THEY LOST BY 40. Coaches in pollsters are the deciding factors in this. They will not vote in Texas Tech. It does matter greatly when u lose, not just that you lose. Along with that...MARGIN OF LOSS.

but if it's between Texas and Texas Tech, Texas Tech goes...

Are you kidding ME? Nebraska lost 62-36 to colorado in their last regular season game in '01 and didn't win the confrence championship and STILL got voted #2...

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:51 PM
You're trying to tell me that Texas Tech has the same market value as a USC, Penn St, OU, or Texas.

A historically rich program like Bama will bring enough interest into that game alone... it's the college football's national championship, people are going to watch anyway...

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech is like what #7 in the BCS? Not climbing that much.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Tech is like what #7 in the BCS? Not climbing that much.

we're talking scenerio here...

If OU loses and Fl loses, Tech move up to atLEAST 5 BEFORE the confrence championship...

Tech played a tougher schedule than USC so it's possible they'd jump them with a confrence championship win... then they're that close to UT... you have to think they'd go with Tech... I would

I'm as big a texas fan as anyone on here... but I do look into the logic of it... and logically, Tech in the National Championship against Bama is not a long-shot...

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Also, OU loses in the big 12 championship 35-7 in '03 and still get to the championship...

Neb and OU both were blown out in their final reg season games and made the championship...

Tech will have won their final two games and the confrence championship in that scenerio...

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Ya..just like you'd think that Texas would stay ahead of OU.

Gobbla2001
11-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Ya..just like you'd think that Texas would stay ahead of OU.

they should... and they might... depends...

I wouldn't call it a lock, no, but I can see when it comes down to it, and they gotta vote for the polls, the people might go with UT...

I think that would be UT's best shot...

charlesrixey
11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
no way tech jumps ahead of USC if both end 11-1/12-1
tech just barely got by baylor today

if texas stays at #2 this week, they will play in the title game

BTownVBall3
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Finally somebody that gets the concept..Thank you. They are #7, Mizzou will not even be a top 20 team next week. They won't jump penn st and usc and texas

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
no way tech jumps ahead of USC if both end 11-1/12-1
tech just barely got by baylor today

Well Tech won't jump USC now for sure, seeing that that OU won and Tech won't be playing in the conf. championship...

HOWEVER, had the scenerio we were discussing gone down, I still think they would have been able to jump USC...

USC has not play ANYONE all year... The team that beat them lost tonight, that really messes up their SoS... Tech beat a #1, another top ten opponent in Ok State and lost to a top 5 team on the road...

After I had posted all of this I was listening to ESPN radio and people were still talking about USC as a Rose Bowl team at best (before OU win etc...)... though I believe USC isn't an "at best" rose bowl team and could be a Nat'l Champ Gamer, USC staying ahead of Tech had this scenerio panned out would NOT have been a given at ALL...

The Big 12 South is being discussed as if it were the SEC which always gets the big media kudos... a 1 loss big 12 team with a confrence championship would get the nod over a USC team as FL will get the nod over USC if they win their confrence championship (And would even if they were ranked behind USC going into the final polls)...

not saying any of this is a given, but it's the BCfreaknS mixed with human polls... anything can happen and there are hardly any predictions in this mess, no matter how wild they may seem, that would shock me..

NastySlot
11-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Well Tech won't jump USC now for sure, seeing that that OU won and Tech won't be playing in the conf. championship...

HOWEVER, had the scenerio we were discussing gone down, I still think they would have been able to jump USC...

USC has not play ANYONE all year... The team that beat them lost tonight, that really messes up their SoS... Tech beat a #1, another top ten opponent in Ok State and lost to a top 5 team on the road...

After I had posted all of this I was listening to ESPN radio and people were still talking about USC as a Rose Bowl team at best (before OU win etc...)... though I believe USC isn't an "at best" rose bowl team and could be a Nat'l Champ Gamer, USC staying ahead of Tech had this scenerio panned out would NOT have been a given at ALL...

The Big 12 South is being discussed as if it were the SEC which always gets the big media kudos... a 1 loss big 12 team with a confrence championship would get the nod over a USC team as FL will get the nod over USC if they win their confrence championship (And would even if they were ranked behind USC going into the final polls)...

not saying any of this is a given, but it's the BCfreaknS mixed with human polls... anything can happen and there are hardly any predictions in this mess, no matter how wild they may seem, that would shock me..

i think when the champions from the pac10 and big10 aren't involved in the bcs championship...the rose bowl gets them both........i think ou and texas both make it to the bcs bowls one in the championship and the other in the sugar or fiesta........imo great matchups would sec v. big xii champ in title (barring a mizzou upset) and the runner up sec v. texas/ou (not in championship)

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 02:19 AM

USC has not play ANYONE all year

okay, Ohio State at home (forgot about that), but I don't think OSU is that good really

DDBooger
11-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i think when the champions from the pac10 and big10 aren't involved in the bcs championship...the rose bowl gets them both........i think ou and texas both make it to the bcs bowls one in the championship and the other in the sugar or fiesta........imo great matchups would sec v. big xii champ in title (barring a mizzou upset) and the runner up sec v. texas/ou (not in championship) Holiday Bowl for Tech?:confused:

Gobbla2001
11-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Holiday Bowl for Tech?:confused:

that's what it's looking like...

man I've been hearing good stuff on the nat'l news about Texas' chances in the polls later today... we'll see

still 50/50 but we'll see...