PDA

View Full Version : When & Why did a Rivaly turn into a Hatred

bp80884
11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I am a lover of High School sports. Heck, I am a lover of youth sports in general. So why is it that our biggest school rivally has now turned to complete hatred?

Is it community status, is it a result of doom & gloom media. Last year, when China Spring had been throughly beaten by La Vega in the regular season it was just a right of passage. On that night, 2 undefeated teams met and i tell you that La Vega put a woodshed type beating on us. They were the better team.

All was well, until the state quarter final game when once again we were pitted against La Vega. Then, a quote and a rumor later (from the Waco Trib mostly) and the China Spring and La Vega rivaly was now a hatred.

They themed the game the Thugs and the preps (or whatever it was called). We were portrayed as thinking we were better than they were and they were portrayed they they were meaner and tougher because of a life style. I had an encounter with a group of 5 La Vega players at China Spring's 1st round playoff game and I will tell you the players were respectful, appreciative of the fact that China Spring was in a tough game and seemed to be a great group of kids (one of the kids that was there was Will henry- All State defensive player in 2007).

So, I ask you is this a reality? Do we hate La Vega? Does La Vega hate us? Does Burnett hate Liberty Hill and vice Versa? Does Corsicana hate Ennis? Do you hate me and do I hate you.

I encourage everyone on this board to do a few things:

1. Be thankful for the young men and women that they get a chance to play, not to mention the entertainment and pride value they give to their communities

2. Increase the number of positive encounters with your fans and other fans. Passion is passion, no matter the team. Appreciate it and enjoy it

3. When they game is over, get up and clap. Enjoy the experience and game. Enjoy the kids and let the kids enjoy the kids

4. Keep the rivaly and get rid of the hatred. You will be a better fan for it.

Treat everyone like you would hope your kids would treat them. Most of the time, you will be right.

Necks_Fan
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
There is a pretty mutual hatred between West Columbia and Sweeny.

Been like that for a long time.

Gobbla2001
11-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I hate bees

TheDOCTORdre
11-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Sweetwater is better than Snyder

WOS87
11-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Jasper (whom I would say has been our biggest rival since 1986) and WO-S actually have a lot of mutual respect for each other.

It wasn't always that way but after both have endured having perpetual targets on their backs when playing pretty much ANY other SE Texas team for the past 20+ years, we get along quite well, bonding through a common hardship I would call it. I always root for Jasper (as long as they are playing any other team of course!)

Now WO-S and LC-M (whom we have beaten 23-2 all-time as of '08).... that's a different story. There's most definitely hatred there, but then again I wouldn't call it much of a rivalry given the 23-2 record. They just happen to be the closest geographically to us.

slingshot
11-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Outstanding post bp.... outstanding.

Diocletian
11-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I think Human Nature will always come before respect.

In this case, you have a small aspect of a border. This border houses a group of people. These people have pride and respect for everyone inside the border. When someone from outside the border trespasses, it causes mock toward anyone living inside. It's just like the border/rivalry for USA and Mexico.

It's only a natural occurrence within the human world. Learn to live with it, learn to love it, and most importantly learn how to find your way through it.

And if there was no hatred in the world, then Newton's law of physics states that every force has a reaction....therefore non-hatred wouldn't exist, and could not be understood. Sometimes we need other human beings to hate, this way we completely understand what "nice" is in the world.

skins4life
11-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
Sweetwater is better than Snyder

They are this year for sure, but there have been times in the.. OH what the- - - - Snyder is better than Sweetwater!!!

wimbo_pro
11-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I hate carnies....small hands.

88bobcats
11-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by bp80884

Then, a quote and a rumor later (from the Waco Trib mostly) and the China Spring and La Vega rivaly was now a hatred.

I'd say your culprit is right there.

Garbage sells.....and any/every form of media will exploit garbage to make a buck; even if it means confecting a hatred from a rivalry.

trojan37
11-29-2008, 12:10 AM
What about the whole T-shirt controversy? What's up with that bp?

Rabid Cougar
11-29-2008, 01:42 AM
There are no T-shirts sold in CS that have anything to do or even mention LaVega or Parr. I saw the LV shirts again tonight I refused to sit on the LV side because of them. Didn't root for Navasota because of being a old Yoeman ,but I wasn't going to sit with people with those shirts on. The Parr shirts are sold by someone on the east side of the River. The football players respect each other. It is mainly the fans that have stirred the pot so to speak.

bp80884
11-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
There are no T-shirts sold in CS that have anything to do or even mention LaVega or Parr. I saw the LV shirts again tonight I refused to sit on the LV side because of them. Didn't root for Navasota because of being a old Yoeman ,but I wasn't going to sit with people with those shirts on. The Parr shirts are sold by someone on the east side of the River. The football players respect each other. It is mainly the fans that have stirred the pot so to speak.

Hey, I was there too.

As for the shirts, I have never seen them, and if I did I would not wear one. I do not hate La Vega. The kids I have met from there have been great. I want to beat them on the football field, but when I leave there, I would not hesitate to work for someone from La Vega or hire them to work with me.

Can't we all just get a long? Remember, it takes 2 to have a negative conversation. I ain't gonna be one of those 2!

JR2004
11-29-2008, 05:13 AM
I enjoy the fact that our (Madison) rivalry with Lincoln has a whole bunch of hate back and forth. It's that way in every single sport. We could be competing in monopoly and it would be the single most competitive monopoly game in history. When we beat them in basketball last week our fans got to run their mouth some for the first time in eight years. When you endure 8 years of getting run into the ground by a rival that's just a little over a mile away (Schools are 1.2 miles apart.) that ALWAYS talks trash to you, you're going to run your mouth back when you get the chance to.

If you want nice move to Venus or Whitney where everyone feels bad for you and you really don't have any rival to hate because everyone destroys you week after week. Otherwise just deal with a healthy dose of hate between rivals and move on.

crabman
11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I hate carnies....small hands.

Smells like cabbage......

Phil C
11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
One of the main faults is that people forget the spirit that the UIL promotes in that the teams are supposed to be friendly rivals not enemies.

Diocletian
11-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
One of the main faults is that people forget the spirit that the UIL promotes in that the teams are supposed to be friendly rivals not enemies.

And most of the UIL sponsered events promote competition, which leads to striving to be better than someone. And that will lead to flaunting and disrespect, which will turn into hatred.

I think we are all forgeting how hard it was to be a "good sport" when we were younger. I remember it was almost impossible and unthinkable for myself.

bp80884
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by crabman
Smells like cabbage......

I wonder if anyone remembers the movie this is from ? YEAH BABY (said with me best fake english accent).

bp80884
11-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Otherwise just deal with a healthy dose of hate between rivals and move on.

I find this quote interesting:

"just deal with the hate"

This is a lyric of an Eminem song as well as a common arabic chant by many terrorists.