PDA

View Full Version : Just how big is Jasper

classof 85
11-18-2002, 12:54 AM
This is the biggest team I have ever seen in high school. Before this was the Jasper team with Reggie Davis, Willie Cade , John Stitton And Toney Allen , Which I had the pleasure of playing against when I was a soph. @ BC. This team looks bigger and is close to being as fast as that team.
Hey bigred01 this oought to shed some light for you on future picks.I know you remember that team also eek! .

spiveyrat
11-18-2002, 01:20 PM
I remember those guys! I was a freshman when they were seniors. Those guys were behemoths!

southern_thunder
11-18-2002, 03:40 PM
classof 85:
This is the biggest team I have ever seen in high school. Before this was the Jasper team with Reggie Davis, Willie Cade , John Stitton And Toney Allen , Which I had the pleasure of playing against when I was a soph. @ BC. This team looks bigger and is close to being as fast as that team.
Hey bigred01 this oought to shed some light for you on future picks.I know you remember that team also eek! .Reggie and Tony were very fast but overall team speed that team doesnt hold up to this years team. I know that is hard to beleive but it is true and I am very familiar with both.

j_dog
11-18-2002, 03:46 PM
Except for Willie Cade, 1982 MVP in a 14 team 4a district, it appears these guys are bigger, quicker, and more athletic. And more of them. I heard a Mexia fan say the same thing, the biggest high school team he had ever seen. When you consider that two of these guys are on Rivals top 25 list, and one is already picked for the Army national All-star team in San Antonio on January 5th, well, "awesome" is probably the best word to describe the Jasper lines. They are big, but they ain't fat, and they ain't slow. 85, thanks for the comments.

southern_thunder
11-18-2002, 03:49 PM
At only 6'4" 310 Lbs. Willie would be the third biggest on this years team

j_dog
11-18-2002, 03:58 PM
southern_thunder:

.........Reggie and Tony were very fast but overall team speed that team doesnt hold up to this years team. I know that is hard to beleive but it is true and I am very familiar with both.Man, that is a mouthful! Tony and Reggie lead Jasper to the 1985 4a state championship in track. Tony had world class speed. He held the 4a state record in the 400 meters for a long time, maybe still does. Some of you may remember, any team with the guts to kick deep to those two guys were facing an almost certain TD. It was something like only 7 or 8 kickoffs to them on the season, 6 returned for TD's. Come to think of it, Mexia squib kicked Friday night also on their lone kickoff! That kind of speed and size together, hard to beat.

ej2525
11-18-2002, 04:02 PM
It's gotta be the water!!

j_dog
11-18-2002, 04:08 PM
ej2525:
It's gotta be the water!!Nope, it is the turnip greens and corn bread!

Old Cardinal
11-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Huge-Friday night, I got to looking at the boys on the sidelines while the starters were on the field. The ones not playing were bigger that any 3a or 4A that I have seen in years! 39 Seniors has got to be a record-a parent told me that fact.

Jimbotex40
11-18-2002, 04:27 PM
what is jasper's enrollment?

Reveille
11-18-2002, 04:39 PM
classof 85:
Hey bigred01 this oought to shed some light for you on future picks.I know you remember that team also eek! .These guys graduated a year and two years behind me. Red Bryant is head and shoulders above Willie Cade. There is no comparing the two. Although Stitton went to Arkansas and had a good college career there, Jorrie Adams has better size and speed than Stitton did. Reggie and Toney were in a class by themselves. IMHO Jasper does not have two to compare to them in speed. They were unbelievable.
In overall team speed, size and talent, I feel this team is a better team than the team you are referring. That team was probably the best until now. They just happened to run into Willoridge in the playoffs who had a not so bad running back by the name of Thurman Thomas.

White&Crimson
11-19-2002, 05:19 PM
As I understand, Jasper is barely 3A. They took attendance on a day when it was low and so we dropped. I've heard we'll be back up to 4A by the next time they check. I believe we have to stay 3A for two years though.
At any rate, I just wanted to say hi since I'm new here. Graduated from Jasper in 1999, now at the University of Texas. I was always much more optimistic this year about Jasper's chances of a state championship than I ever was about UT's of a national championship! For those of you who in Jasper, my dad is there running the chains at every game (has been for quite awhile). He's also only missed one Jasper varsity game (due to a heart attack) since 1980. I'm currently pondering the 3 hour drive to Conroe to go out and support the team this Saturday. Go Dogs!

<small>[ November 19, 2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: White&Crimson ]</small>

BigRed01
11-19-2002, 05:53 PM
classof 85:
Hey bigred01 this oought to shed some light for you on future picks.I know you remember that team also eek! .Oh yes I do remember that team. Tony Allen was an absolute speedster, Reggie Davis was not only a speedster buy a tough solid back. Those guys were a wreckin crew. I haven't seen Jasper play, but if they are anything like that team.......BEWARE OF THE DOG! I really find it hard to believe they have that kind of talent, but it's been 20 years (man I'm getting old..haha), maybe there are a few kids playing on this team, that were sons of those great Bulldogs. It's hard for me to believe that Jasper has that kind of speed today. Jasper was probably the fastest football team in the state that year. I believe if my memory serves me right they set a track record in the 4X4 relay. I know personnaly I saw Tony Allen run a 10.01 in the 100 at Cardinal Stadium, and Reggie Davis ran in that same race and got a 10.44. It impressed me so much that I still remember it to this day. Of course it was clocked by hand, so I guess it was official for the track meet, but was not electonically timed for the state. Who does Jasper have that can even come close to those guys? If this is true, Cameron may be in for a long night. eek!

Old Cardinal
11-19-2002, 07:22 PM
I can tell you one think, Class of 85, Big Red 01 and Coach Jeff Mathews of 4A Vidor were no slouches either. I remember several years of big time head-banging going on between Bridge City and Jasper!

Puppetmaster101
11-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Uhhh I dont know if anybody has heard about the team Burnet's playing saturday but their D-Line avg. 271 LBS. I think Wharton is bigger. eek! :D

southern_thunder
11-19-2002, 09:07 PM
White&Crimson:
As I understand, Jasper is barely 3A. They took attendance on a day when it was low and so we dropped. I've heard we'll be back up to 4A by the next time they check. I believe we have to stay 3A for two years though.
At any rate, I just wanted to say hi since I'm new here. Graduated from Jasper in 1999, now at the University of Texas. I was always much more optimistic this year about Jasper's chances of a state championship than I ever was about UT's of a national championship! For those of you who in Jasper, my dad is there running the chains at every game (has been for quite awhile). He's also only missed one Jasper varsity game (due to a heart attack) since 1980. I'm currently pondering the 3 hour drive to Conroe to go out and support the team this Saturday. Go Dogs!First of all ADA (average daily attendance) is taken during the entire month of October. And the is a better than average chance that Jasper will stay 3 A at the next realignment because top number usually goes up about 70 each time.

mojjo_1
11-19-2002, 09:12 PM
Jasper defensive line 6'-8'' 275, 5'11'' 285, and 6'5'' 295, that's a 6'4'' 285 lbs average. Jorrie, Kyle, and Red.

Bulldog92
11-19-2002, 09:31 PM
Bulldog Nation is one bigger on this board now. Welcome, white and crimson. What took ya so long? :D Anyway, I know that there were some great teams in our past (80,82,86,89,01...etc), but if this one is the best of the bunch, they must be a treat to watch every week. I'm so envious of you guys that it ain't funny! Our friend spiveyrat will probably back me up on that...as long as a house doesn't fall on him first..lol. :)

spiveyrat
11-19-2002, 10:20 PM
92: I'll back you on that.

White & Crimson: If it was only 3 hours from me, I know I'd be there!

j_dog
11-19-2002, 10:43 PM
BigRed01:

classof 85:
This is the biggest team ...Oh yes I do remember that team. Tony Allen was an absolute speedster, Reggie Davis was not only a speedster buy a tough solid back. Those guys were a wreckin crew. I haven't seen Jasper play, but if they are anything like that team.......BEWARE OF THE DOG! I really find it hard to believe they have that kind of talent, but it's been 20 years (man I'm getting old..haha), maybe there are a few kids playing on this team, that were sons of those great Bulldogs. It's hard for me to believe that Jasper has that kind of speed today. Jasper was probably the fastest football team in the state that year. I believe if my memory serves me right they set a track record in the 4X4 relay. I know personnaly I saw Tony Allen run a 10.01 in the 100 at Cardinal Stadium, and Reggie Davis ran in that same race and got a 10.44. It impressed me so much that I still remember it to this day. Of course it was clocked by hand, so I guess it was official for the track meet, but was not electonically timed for the state. Who does Jasper have that can even come close to those guys? If this is true, Cameron may be in for a long night. eek! BigRed01, Jasper may not possibly have an individual as fast as Tony, but as someone else posted here, their overall speed is truly probably greater than the Tony Allen teams. But don't take my word for it, ask the Newton posters. They know first hand. And Jason McQueen is a tough runner like Reggie Davis. And I suspect that the QB speed is right up there near Tony's, as is several of the receivers and defensive backs.

The track record in the 4X4 relay you are remembering is probably the 1991 400 meter relay team. They were the first ever to go under 40 seconds at 39.9 hand held, 40.07 electronic. I think that national record held until 1997 when a Dallas team bettered it. Regardless, they will always be the first. Footnote, Reggie Davis's younger brother John ran on that relay team. I think he still is with the Chicago Bears. Zack Bronson off that team starts in the defensive backfield for the 49'ers, but all that is another story.

Yes, I suspect some of these players are offspring from those earlier years. Remember the name Limbrick? Betcha Old Card remembers that name. Well, watch Walter Limbrick. He can move like he was shot out of a cannon.

classof 85
11-20-2002, 10:08 PM
I promise you this team is bigger and they have more talent than the team from the 80s. Bronson was a good high school player and even better at Mcneese and I also think he has made a huge impact for the 49'rs
Overall though I stand by my statement that this is the most talanted team Jasper has ever had!!!!!!

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE

The_Saint
11-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Having graduated from JHS is '76 (the last class to do so at the old HS) we have followed Bulldog football ever since. It's in your blood. The early 80 teams with Cade, Davis, and company have always stood out in my mind.....that is until this year. Although this years team does not have the defensive stats that the 81 (or was it 82) team did (9 shut-outs in 12 games before losing to Willowidge and Thurman Thomas) this team is more athletically mature and there are more than just two or three standouts.

No disrespect to Jorie, but Bryant, in my opinion is probably the better athlete. When you sit back and look at the situation with these two, how many HS teams in the nation, much less the state of TX can legitimately argue that they have two "All American" linemen.....not many if any. This is no exageration folks, but the "real deal".

As for speed, I was a member of the '75 track team that won state(3A). I didn't do anything, but we got to watch first hand the guys that did. Leonard Scott had the second fastest time in the state in the 440 (47.something) behind the Brown kid from Lufkin(4A). The 4x110 (Lawrence Armstrong a freshman anchored) and 4x440 took first in state and James Hadnot did very well in discus and shot.

Anyway here I go again with the epistle.......long story short, Jasper year-end-year-out always has great athletes sprinkled from time to time with those exceptional kids in NFL bodies. It must be the clean air, water, and as someone else on here said....the cornbread and greens.

j_dog
11-21-2002, 12:20 AM
classof 85:
I promise you this team is bigger and they have more talent than the team from the 80s. Bronson was a good high school player and even better at Mcneese and I also think he has made a huge impact for the 49'rs
Overall though I stand by my statement that this is the most talanted team Jasper has ever had!!!!!!

TRUST ME ON THIS ONEOh, I absolutely agree that this is the most talanted team Jasper has ever had. I don't think you will get much argument from anyone on that, except perhaps in the rest of the state. If Jasper has a few more successful games, they just may come around also. As Duckbutter said once, Jasper can make you look bad, really bad. I honestly believe this, Jasper has not even come close to hitting its peak this year. If they can have the good fortune to keep advancing until they can play the "big rep" schools like Sinton or Burnet, and Everman I think people just may get to see that peak. As a matter of fact, we may get to see a little show of that potential Saturday night. I appreciate your posts.

southern_thunder
11-21-2002, 08:03 AM
Uh oh Saint you may have given you ID away I am very familiar with the 75 State champion track team from Jasper, I was at almost every meet that year. :D

PPHSfan
11-21-2002, 08:13 AM
I am not going to say Jasper is big. But their Team Photo weighs 40 lbs. eek!

fred grunden
11-21-2002, 12:31 PM
j_dog:

classof 85:

TRUST ME ON THIS ONEOh, I absolutely agree that this is the most talanted team Jasper has ever had. I don't think you will get much argument from anyone on that, except perhaps in the rest of the state. If Jasper has a few more successful games, they just may come around also. As Duckbutter said once, Jasper can make you look bad, really bad. I honestly believe this, Jasper has not even come close to hitting its peak this year. If they can have the good fortune to keep advancing until they can play the "big rep" schools like Sinton or Burnet, and Everman I think people just may get to see that peak. As a matter of fact, we may get to see a little show of that potential Saturday night. I appreciate your posts.

fred grunden
11-21-2002, 01:17 PM
I may be biased, but I think the best Jasper team was the team of 1983. Remember David Gibbs? He was the equal of Big Red Bryant but not as tall. We had plenty of size with Billy Vaughn and Gibbs on the defensive line. The '83 Bulldogs had no glaring weaknesses but the '02 Dogs do. This year our place kicking has been undependable. We have injuries and haven't been able to bring that aspect of the game to a respectable level. It will be hard to win a close game when we can't kick an extra point. Remember Muckleroy who won games for Jasper with his field goals? Also, the '83 team was better at pass defence than this team. I would rate the backfield equal to this year's. It would have been awesome if the '83 team had run the same style of offense we run today. Not much has been said about the linebackers. This years crop are in the Jasper tradition of excellence. Carl Mitchell is probably faster than Kevin Hall was. The "83 team was undefeated until the play-off game against Willowridge,and some say victory was stolen when an apparent touchdown was ruled a fumble when the ball was stripped from Ricky Limbrick after he had crossed the goal line. I hope the '02 team has better luck.

southern_thunder
11-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Hey Fred
I remember that team very well and feel like there is no comparison. This years team is head and shoulders above that one. David Gibbs was good but not in the same league as Red regardless of height.

Now you have a point about the kicking game though that is the only place where that one was better.

Reveille
11-21-2002, 03:11 PM
fred grunden:
I may be biased, but I think the best Jasper team was the team of 1983. Remember David Gibbs? He was the equal of Big Red Bryant but not as tall. We had plenty of size with Billy Vaughn and Gibbs on the defensive line. The '83 Bulldogs had no glaring weaknesses but the '02 Dogs do. This year our place kicking has been undependable. We have injuries and haven't been able to bring that aspect of the game to a respectable level. It will be hard to win a close game when we can't kick an extra point. Remember Muckleroy who won games for Jasper with his field goals? Also, the '83 team was better at pass defence than this team. I would rate the backfield equal to this year's. It would have been awesome if the '83 team had run the same style of offense we run today. Not much has been said about the linebackers. This years crop are in the Jasper tradition of excellence. Carl Mitchell is probably faster than Kevin Hall was. The "83 team was undefeated until the play-off game against Willowridge,and some say victory was stolen when an apparent touchdown was ruled a fumble when the ball was stripped from Ricky Limbrick after he had crossed the goal line. I hope the '02 team has better luck.Fred, I agree with your assessment of this years kicking game. I have complained about the whole season. Sooner or later it is going to bite us in the rear. I also agree the 83 secondary was better than this years version. I beg to difer with you in reference to Gibbs and Bryant. There is no comparison. Red is by far a better player than David was at this stage of the ball game. Finally, IMHO this years backfield is better than the 83 backfield. The bottom line is that Mitchell is a much better QB than "Duck" was in 83.