PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Blu-Ray players?

Keith7
11-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Since you guys did such a good job finding cheap Xbox 360s.. Does anyone know where I could get a cheap Blu-Ray player?

Necks_Fan
11-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Since you guys did such a good job finding cheap Xbox 360s.. Does anyone know where I could get a cheap Blu-Ray player? You could always buy a PS3.

Not exactly cheap..... but they can play games too. :D

King_LeYoeNidas
11-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Wal Mart is going to have one on Black Friday for $128. A magnavox I believe. I personally feel PS3 is the better option as Playstation Network automatically updates it every few months to keep it up to date and it's free. I've got all 3 of the next gen systems and my kid plays the Wii, I play the 360 (best gaming console easily) and use the PS3 strictly for watching Blu Ray & regular dvd movies. Though I haven't bought a "regular" dvd in nearly a year.

Diocletian
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I've seen a couple ads that have the "good" Blu rays sale. Both at Best Buy and Circuit City. I saw one ad from Walmart that was saying it was selling the Sony one, but not for how much.

The ones at Best Buy and Circuit City are both Sony and Samsung<<<that's the one I want. Both going for $200 instead of $300.

I'm sure there will be some doorbuster sales even lower than that though.

Trashman
11-27-2008, 11:40 AM
What is the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD and will my DVD's play on Blu-Ray machine.

garciap77
11-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Since you guys did such a good job finding cheap Xbox 360s.. Does anyone know where I could get a cheap Blu-Ray player?

If you want cheap, you can get one at WalMart for $128.00.(Magnavox) If you want better quality you can by one at Best buy for $249.00. (Sony) Middle of the road $199.00. (Samsung)

Hope this helps!

King_LeYoeNidas
11-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
What is the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD and will my DVD's play on Blu-Ray machine.

Yes, Blu Ray players will enhance normal DVD's just a bit. As for the difference, it's the picture and quality of sound. It doesn't sound that amazing when you are having it described but once you actually see for yourself in your own home, you'll understand. If you don't have a hi-def tv, it's not worth the investment but if you do, it's the only way to go. Movies just look absolutely ridiculous, especially movies that were just made in the past 2-3 years. Older movies look better but since they weren't originally filmed w/ blu ray in mind, the transfers that take place for them aren't AS good, but they still look excellent compared to regular dvds. In some instances like 300, the picture is so insane you can actually see the makeup on the actors and it almost has a "fake" look to it. To really understand, i say pick up Disney's Cars. I've got about 75 on blu right now and Cars is the one i always use to show off what the machine can do. Opening race sequence is just incredible.

garciap77
11-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
Yes, Blu Ray players will enhance normal DVD's just a bit. As for the difference, it's the picture and quality of sound. It doesn't sound that amazing when you are having it described but once you actually see for yourself in your own home, you'll understand. If you don't have a hi-def tv, it's not worth the investment but if you do, it's the only way to go. Movies just look absolutely ridiculous, especially movies that were just made in the past 2-3 years. Older movies look better but since they weren't originally filmed w/ blu ray in mind, the transfers that take place for them aren't AS good, but they still look excellent compared to regular dvds. In some instances like 300, the picture is so insane you can actually see the makeup on the actors and it almost has a "fake" look to it. To really understand, i say pick up Disney's Cars. I've got about 75 on blu right now and Cars is the one i always use to show off what the machine can do. Opening race sequence is just incredible.

Best Buy and some of the other stores are going to have some Blue-Ray moves for $7.99 - $11.99! Best Buy will have Transformers for $9.99! They look great on my Samsung LNT5271F 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV. The xbox360 also looks great on it! The sound is unbelievable too.

TMer25
11-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
I've seen a couple ads that have the "good" Blu rays sale. Both at Best Buy and Circuit City. I saw one ad from Walmart that was saying it was selling the Sony one, but not for how much.

The ones at Best Buy and Circuit City are both Sony and Samsung<<<that's the one I want. Both going for $200 instead of $300.

I'm sure there will be some doorbuster sales even lower than that though.

Stay away from the Samsung.

garciap77
11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by TMer25

KMart has the Sony Blu-Ray BDPS350 HDMI 1080P for $179.00! That's a good deal!

TMer25
11-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
KMart has the Sony Blu-Ray BDPS350 HDMI 1080P for $179.00! That's a good deal!

Very good deal. Sony and Panasonic make some of the most consistent players at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Emerson1
11-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
What is wrong with the samsung brands? Other than horrible customer service

TMer25
11-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What is wrong with the samsung brands? Other than horrible customer service

Nothing wrong with the brand itself. They make great TV's, just not Blu Ray players. Lots of sound issues, disc incompatibility issues and one of the worst Blu Ray players at upscaling regular DVD's.