PDA

View Full Version : Question: Crying or Campaigning?

NastySlot
11-25-2008, 03:51 PM
just wondering some call it crying when stoops, richt or carroll lobby for their teams to move up or question the bcs system...but what about the guy that go it started???? what your take? my take you gotta do what you gotta do for your team.

Natalie England - Express-News AUSTIN — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops went into your living rooms and onto your radio airwaves late Saturday night, and told everyone why his Sooners deserved their national perch.

Stoops can thank Mack Brown for setting the stage — and the precedent.

Just four years ago, it was Brown who went stumping for his team. And he did so successfully, as the Longhorns leaped over California at the last minute and earned a spot in the Rose Bowl.

“(In) 2004, I was criticized for being political and whining,” Brown said on Monday. “And now, the BCS has made it so it's popular for the coach to take up for his team. I guess I was a trendsetter.”

Stoops is the latest to follow Brown's lead. Following OU's 65-21 dismantling of Texas Tech last weekend, Stoops made his case for why the Sooners should be ahead of UT in the BCS ratings, despite the Longhorns' 45-35 victory over OU last month.

“If you can't move us in front of Texas because they beat us, then you have to keep Texas Tech in front of Texas,” Stoops told reporters after the game. “If it's logical for one, then it's logical for the other.”

UT is No. 2 in the latest BCS ratings, but holds the slimmest of leads (.0084 percentage points) over third-ranked OU. If the Sooners take down No. 12 Oklahoma State on Saturday, it's likely OU will overtake the Longhorns on Sunday.

That could be critical, because UT, OU and Tech are all tied with one loss at the top of the Big 12 South. If all three win this week, the team with the highest BCS rating will earn a spot to play Missouri for the Big 12 championship on Dec. 6.

The Longhorns lead the Sooners in four of the six of the computer rankings, but are lagging behind in both voter polls.

OU moved up to second in the USA Today coaches' poll, receiving four first-place votes. UT, which has not played since defeating Kansas 35-7 on Nov. 15, remained at No. 4.

“We've got emotional voters, in my estimation,” Brown said. “(OU's victory) was such a blowout, it got everybody's attention. ... We didn't play. (Coaches are) sitting around, getting on their planes and saw a score and said, ‘Wow.'”

Brown said that's exactly why he doesn't like the BCS.

“If we had a playoff right now, would it not be great to have the eight teams that are listed?” he asked. “There will be more than us and Oklahoma, if we both win, that will get left out.

“It's not fair right now. It's not the best teams (that make the BCS games). I do think (because of) all of this (conversation), along with President-elect Obama, we're going to start looking at playoffs.”

Obama has come out in favor of a playoff system.

Necks_Fan
11-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
“It's not fair right now. It's not the best teams (that make the BCS games). I do think (because of) all of this (conversation), along with President-elect Obama, we're going to start looking at playoffs.”

Obama has come out in favor of a playoff system. Nice little touch they added huh?

:rolleyes: :hand:

WylieBulldog92
11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Campaigning.

Pick6
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

Obama has come out in favor of a playoff system.

He might be The President, but the university presidents don't want a playoff system and they will get their way.

pirate4state
11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
It's real simple.

If you are an OU fan, Bob Stoops is campaigning.
If you are a UT fan, Mack Brown was campaigning.

If you are a UT fan, Bob Stoops is crying!
If you are an OU fan, Mack Brown was crying!

Conclusion: People are silly & stupid.

I will admit to thinking Stoops looked pretty pathetic on TV! :bigcry:

On the flip side...Mack always looks pathetic...{hand clap} :D

JR2004
11-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Hey Mack worked long and hard for many years to get the nickname "The Clapper"!

Emerson1
11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Can you post the link to this article?

NastySlot
11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Can you post the link to this article?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/UT_coach_was_first_to_stump_for_team.html

like this?

BreckTxLonghorn
11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It's real simple.

If you are an OU fan, Bob Stoops is campaigning.
If you are a UT fan, Mack Brown was campaigning.

If you are a UT fan, Bob Stoops is crying!
If you are an OU fan, Mack Brown was crying!

Conclusion: People are silly & stupid.

I will admit to thinking Stoops looked pretty pathetic on TV! :bigcry:

But Stoops IS a cryer!!!

Seriously, it's all campaigning, and every team and fan should expect the coach to do it for the team if there's a possibility. Whenever there's a human element involved, you have to do what it takes to get your team to the utmost level, especially if you feel they belong there. I have no problem with coaches touting their team; further, I have more of a problem with coaching who gripe about the system. It is what it is and griping won't change it until a better system comes along (very unlikely--the way its set up maximizes tv time and money for the schools involved, especially the ones not in the championship. The general public would rather watch the last game of a team for the season than one where they may or may not be over. Even then, if you go to a playoff or +1 format, the griping about it won't go away. Ask seed #9 in an 8 team playoff, or #5 in a 4-team +1).

Just my 2 cents.

charlesrixey
11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
But Stoops IS a cryer!!!

Seriously, it's all campaigning, and every team and fan should expect the coach to do it for the team if there's a possibility. Whenever there's a human element involved, you have to do what it takes to get your team to the utmost level, especially if you feel they belong there. I have no problem with coaches touting their team; further, I have more of a problem with coaching who gripe about the system. It is what it is and griping won't change it until a better system comes along (very unlikely--the way its set up maximizes tv time and money for the schools involved, especially the ones not in the championship. The general public would rather watch the last game of a team for the season than one where they may or may not be over. Even then, if you go to a playoff or +1 format, the griping about it won't go away. Ask seed #9 in an 8 team playoff, or #5 in a 4-team +1).
Just my 2 cents.

there may be some squabbling about the 6-7-8 seeds, but the reality is there would never be another question about who the national champion would be

BreckTxLonghorn
11-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
there may be some squabbling about the 6-7-8 seeds, but the reality is there would never be another question about who the national champion would be

What if you're Boise St, undefeated and no.9? Wouldn't you have a squabble there?

charlesrixey
11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
What if you're Boise St, undefeated and no.9? Wouldn't you have a squabble there?

it's not very likely that any non BCS team that went undefeated would not be contractually guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, much like the current system

any way you slice it, a playoff would be better

Gobbla2001
11-25-2008, 05:59 PM

Do what the NCAA BBALL Tourney does... play-in game...

8-9 play to complete the field... sure, #10'll be pissed... but oh well...

Phil C
11-25-2008, 06:01 PM
We need a real playoff system though. But money rules. :(

Phil C
11-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Another thing is that human polls which do influence the BCS is not consistent. Do you think that if Notre Dame had the same record as Oklahoma and beat Oklahoma by 10 points on a neutral field that Oklahoma would pass them? Then let's say Oklahoma whipped a team that had beat ND by a last second td. Would Oklahoma pass them? Of course not. Nor would they bypass Florida or USC under the same circumstances and I'm not sure they would even pass LSU.

Gobbla2001
11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
This is a much different situation than what Brown was in...

for one Cal and UT didn't play each other that year, so there was no head to head to go off of... Brown pretty much said "Look, we're this close together, this is why you should give MY team a shot instead of theirs, just atleast LOOK at us"...

What Stoops is doing is trying to get into the confrence championship so he can roll Mizzou and get into the Nat'l Championship, which is understandable... but he sounds like he's doing more crying than Mack did.. people keep giving me that "IF you rate Texas over OU, then you have to rate Tech over Texas" crap, including Stoops... uhhh, no you don't... Texas lost a few weeks ago on the road in the last seconds of a game between two top 10 teams, Tech just had their asses handed to 'em this week on the road to Oklahoma... so naturally, as Texas did, Tech is going to drop some spots... but unlike Texas, they don't have the time to regain the ground lost... Texas lost with time to regain it back, as Oklahoma did... but with these two so close together, OU shouldn't be rated above Texas because on the field Texas defeated Oklahoma...

Now, had OU with one loss and Texas with one loss NOT played each other, I'd be right there saying OU should jump Texas with that win over Tech...

IF it's all a three way tie, Tech doesn't matter anymore... they lost too late in the year, they're not gunna be that close in the rankings.. go to the head to head people and machines, be smart...

JasperDog94
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
This is a much different situation than what Brown was in...

for one Cal and UT didn't play each other that year, so there was no head to head to go off of... Brown pretty much said "Look, we're this close together, this is why you should give MY team a shot instead of theirs, just atleast LOOK at us"...

What Stoops is doing is trying to get into the confrence championship so he can roll Mizzou and get into the Nat'l Championship, which is understandable... but he sounds like he's doing more crying than Mack did.. people keep giving me that "IF you rate Texas over OU, then you have to rate Tech over Texas" crap, including Stoops... uhhh, no you don't... Texas lost a few weeks ago on the road in the last seconds of a game between two top 10 teams, Tech just had their asses handed to 'em this week on the road to Oklahoma... so naturally, as Texas did, Tech is going to drop some spots... but unlike Texas, they don't have the time to regain the ground lost... Texas lost with time to regain it back, as Oklahoma did... but with these two so close together, OU shouldn't be rated above Texas because on the field Texas defeated Oklahoma...

Now, had OU with one loss and Texas with one loss NOT played each other, I'd be right there saying OU should jump Texas with that win over Tech...

IF it's all a three way tie, Tech doesn't matter anymore... they lost too late in the year, they're not gunna be that close in the rankings.. go to the head to head people and machines, be smart... :iagree: Well said.

slingshot
11-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Sponge Bob Bowl Flop left out one really important fact... his team lost to Texas on a neutral field! Everybody else held serve at home. If Texas and Oklahoma end up tied--Texas should go. Period. End of argument.

JR2004
11-26-2008, 03:34 AM
I saw Mack's press conference this afternoon. They brought up the subject of coaches campaigning for BCS games. This isn't exact, but he said...

"People said I was politicking in 2004 to get us into a BCS game. I look at it as I was a trendsetter. To me that's pretty cool!"

3afan
11-26-2008, 09:14 AM
coaches SHOULD campaign/politic for their teams ... its part of their job

3afan
11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
We need a real playoff system though. But money rules. :(

Phil -

most playoff scenarios thrown out there
INCLUDE the bowls in some way, or, are
IN ADDITION to the bowls

so quit trying to play the "its all about the