PDA

View Full Version : Is the competition becoming more fierce?

88bobcats
11-25-2008, 11:07 AM
It seems this year that there are fewer undefeated teams, and I'm not just talking about Class 3A. All classifications seem to have more one- or two-loss teams in the upper echelons.

Unless I'm missing some, in Class 3A, the only undefeateds are Bridgeport, China Spring, Liberty Hill, Navasota, Sinton, and West Orange - Stark.

It seems like there are usually more no-loss teams at round 3 of the play-offs, or maybe they've just shifted away from the "usual suspects" to "up-and-coming" teams.

Is my perception in error?

pirate4state
11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
You don't have to worry about us, we haven't played anyone. We are just undefeated by default!

Bullaholic
11-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats

It seems this year that there are fewer undefeated teams, and I'm not just talking about Class 3A. All classifications seem to have more one- or two-loss teams in the upper echelons.

Unless I'm missing some, in Class 3A, the only undefeateds are Bridgeport, China Spring, Liberty Hill, Navasota, Sinton, and West Orange - Stark.

It seems like there are usually more no-loss teams at round 3 of the play-offs, or maybe they've just shifted away from the "usual suspects" to "up-and-coming" teams.

I think a lot of coaches are not as worried about W-L records ouside of district and ratings as in the past and are scheduling more good, winning program teams in pre-district. Plus, with this re-alignment, you have some good teams included in some of the Regions who were never there before.

gatordaze
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think a lot of coaches are not as worried about W-L records ouside of district and ratings as in the past and are scheduling more good, winning program teams in pre-district. Plus, with this re-alignment, you have some good teams included in some of the Regions who were never there before.

I definately think that seasoned coaching staffs realize that non-district competition is valuable. Although likely to ding the record, better for the team in the long run. Another factor is the impact of rapid growth within a district. Celina experienced this in Football and Volleyball as schools that were once similar in size have experienced significant growth.

As an example, as Propser grew, so did the athletic pool. Just last night my boys lost a jr. high bball game to Propser that contained the sons of 2 MLB players. Prosper prides itself in being the Highland Park of the North and has attracted several Dallas area professional athletes. Heart and conditioning is one thing but genetics is a whole different story. These kids could ball!

I look forward to playing Prosper for years to come just not in our class or district. They are a sleeping giant.

Third
11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

That's a trend I've noticed too. In my area I can name five teams that added tough pre-district games to their schedule.
Devine added Cuero and West Oso
Bandera - La Vernia, Llano and Wimberley
La Vernia - Giddings, Cuero and Wimberley
Lytle put Celina for their season-opener
Llano - Rockdale and Bandera

I imagine this is a trend statewide as well.

88bobcats
11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
"Tougher pre-season schedules" makes the most sense now that you guys mention it. I should've thought of that in 3A/4A.....I guess that means that 5A competition might be more fierce, unless the powerhouse schools are scheduling J.C's.

BobcatBenny
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You don't have to worry about us, we haven't played anyone. We are just undefeated by default!
No doubt. :D

Ol' Benny will let you know when the Pirates have played someone. So don't hold your breath.:p

headhunter
11-25-2008, 11:51 AM
5A is a whole different ball game, then 3A you can win games in a lower classification with a better talent pool, but in 5A many things come into play, Coaching is usually the biggest.

I like seeing many 3A schools challenge themselves early in the season, they only benefit form it in the long run.

nobogey72
11-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I think it's getting harder and harder for the "upper-echelon" as you put it to schedule their non district games. Nobody is standing in line to schedule teams that are perinial winners, unless you go up a class, and that's not automatic that they will play you. So you end up with some of the upper echelon playing each other in non district, and end up one of them losing.

GreenMachine
11-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
No doubt. :D

Ol' Benny will let you know when the Pirates have played someone. So don't hold your breath.:p :eek: :clap: :fnypost:

kepdawg
11-25-2008, 01:24 PM
The number of undefeated 3A teams remaining appears to be about the norm for the past few years. To answer your question. No, the competition is not becoming more fierce. It is just that the competition is playing each other as others have already stated. And now undefeated teams are knocking each other off in the playoffs.

A few examples off the top of my head:

5A
Euless Trinity is undefeated and #1 in the nation in some polls
Allen has 1 loss...to Euless Trinity
Cedar Hill has 1 loss...to Euless Trinity
Undefeated Hightower ended up to that point undefeated North Shore's season last week

4A
Highland Park has 1 loss...to undefeated Rockwall Heath
Undefeated Everman ended up to that point undefeated Aledo's season last week

3A
Abilene Wylie has 2 losses...to undefeated Liberty Hill and undefeated Frenship
Prosper has 1 loss...to undefeated Bridgeport
Burkburnett's season is done with 2 losses...to undefeated Bridgeport and undefeated China Spring

Texasfootball2
11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats

As of 4:00 pm Saturday there should be one less undefeated team:D Just being a homer. Good Luck to the Cougars of CS (Not really;) )

Balcones fault
11-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Prosper prides itself in being the Highland Park of the North and has attracted several Dallas area professional athletes.

?? The Highland Park of the North ?? Glad I got out of there before they raised my taxes and put man-skirts on the band.

As I recall, Craig James' son played for Celina and doesn't Anthony Lynn have kids in the Celina district also? Prosper may have some pros in the gene pool but Celina is hardly at a disadvantage in that regard. The best thing for a rivalry is competitive games, so a more competitive Prosper is a good thing.

Best of luck to both Prosper and Celina this week.

gatordaze
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Balcones fault
?? The Highland Park of the North ?? Glad I got out of there before they raised my taxes and put man-skirts on the band.

As I recall, Craig James' son played for Celina and doesn't Anthony Lynn have kids in the Celina district also? Prosper may have some pros in the gene pool but Celina is hardly at a disadvantage in that regard. The best thing for a rivalry is competitive games, so a more competitive Prosper is a good thing.

Best of luck to both Prosper and Celina this week.

You should see the new High School that is being built. The stadium is suppose to ne modelled after the Colisium in LA. The Junior inherits a pretty awesome facility when the new school opens

BobcatBenny
11-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
You should see the new High School that is being built. The stadium is suppose to ne modelled after the Colisium in LA. The Junior inherits a pretty awesome facility when the new school opens
Since you brought it up. http://phs.prosper-isd.net/Uploads/66/misc/ProsperHS-1-1.wmv

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't keep up with any classifications beside 3A, but last year, going into the same round, there were 4 undefeated teams: Gilmer, Liberty Hill, Celina, La Vega.

link (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=74996) (FYI: You won't see the names on the home page any more - I found them in another thread.)

Balcones fault
11-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Since you brought it up. http://phs.prosper-isd.net/Uploads/66/misc/ProsperHS-1-1.wmv

Nice. Never mind the 30mph wind from the north while all the trees are still fully leafed out. Biology geek - 1, Computer geek - 0.

Thanks for the link.