PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Fans and Players are a CLASS ACT!!

Ranger Mom
12-07-2002, 09:09 PM
I CANNOT say enough good about the Sweetwater team and fans. It was an emotional game, it was a tough game, and luck was on our side today. It could have easily gone the other way. Both teams played their guts out!!
The game was so exciting at the end that I could hardly stand it. It was hard, for me anyway, to celebrate at the end because the Sweetwater players were so visibly upset, it broke my heart. That entire Sweetwater team is great, but that Mychel Carillo is one awesome player, and it was Carillo that my heart really went out to!! This is the first play-off game where the opponents stood behind us with helmets raised as we played our school song. My hat off to Sweetwater...you guys are one in a million!!

MustangMan
12-08-2002, 12:23 AM
RangerMom, thanks for the compliment. Your guys played a great game. I wish you all the best in your upcoming game. The game was very difficult on all of us. That has to be one of the hardest losses I have ever seen. Both teams played their hearts out. Mychal Carrillo is "one in a million". I have had the great opportunity to watch him play ever since he was in junior high. When you are as talented as he is, the opposing team and usually their fans are very negative and critical of him. You guys, to my knowledge, were great sports today. I appreciate it. Last year, you would not believe all the things that were said about him, it was pure jealousy (primarily our old district, ie. Merkel, Ballinger, Clyde, Early, and Wylie). Sweetwater had an awesome year and has nothing to be ashamed of. You have a very talented team. I don't know who you will play but, good luck! You know I find it ironic that you would refer to us as being great sports. It was just two years ago, I think, that one of your administrator wrote a very negative letter about how our student, fans, and players acted. I remember it very well. Would you please share your feeling with your school administration. Good Luck!

MustangMan
12-08-2002, 12:25 AM
RangerMom, thanks for the compliment. Your guys played a great game. I wish you all the best in your upcoming game. The game was very difficult on all of us. That has to be one of the hardest losses I have ever seen. Both teams played their hearts out. Mychal Carrillo is "one in a million". I have had the great opportunity to watch him play ever since he was in junior high. When you are as talented as he is, the opposing team and usually their fans are very negative and critical of him. You guys, to my knowledge, were great sports today. I appreciate it. Last year, you would not believe all the things that were said about him, it was pure jealousy (primarily our old district, ie. Merkel, Ballinger, Clyde, Early, and Wylie). Sweetwater had an awesome year and has nothing to be ashamed of. You have a very talented team. I don't know who you will play but, good luck! You know I find it ironic that you would refer to us as being great sports. It was just two years ago, I think, that one of your administrator wrote a very negative letter about how our student, fans, and players acted. I remember it very well. Would you please share your feeling with your school administration. Good Luck!

Ranger Mom
12-08-2002, 12:43 AM
Mustangman - check your PM's.

Ranger Mom
12-08-2002, 12:48 AM
Well, I was gonna PM you, but your PM's aren't set up!!!

Ranger Mom 70
12-08-2002, 09:10 AM
I, too, would like to congratulate Sweetwater on a great season - and a great game !!! All I can say is that "it was our time". Both teams "deserved" a win. No one can say it was an "error-free" game by either side by no means, but I have NEVER EVER in the 9 years my son has played football seen two teams play with as much HEART !!! I just wish everyone could see the "after-game" on the football field with players/parents/fans!!! You saw players going up to players (both teams) - parents to players (both teams) and congratulating EVERYONE for a fantastic game. My brother in Wisconsin, listened to the game (on the internet of course) and said it was one of the best high-school games he had ever heard!! Thank you Sweetwater Players and Fans for a wonderful experience of just how high-school football should be. --- It's about the boys!!!!

Adidas410s
12-08-2002, 10:03 AM
Congrats to both teams last night. It sounded like it was a great game. When and where will Greenwood play next? I heard Texas Stadium next Saturday vs Daingerfield but I wasn't sure so I thought I would check. Good luck the rest of the playoffs.

Ranger Mom
12-08-2002, 10:08 AM
I thought so too - but I had some people from Daingerfield on another site last night tell me it was in Coppell. So...I am not sure myself right now!! (Where in the heck is Coppell by the way??)

Da Mules
12-08-2002, 12:59 PM
I was at the game and thought both teams gave it everything they had. Sweetwater, you can be proud of a valiant effort. Uh, Greenwood coach, you ever heard of the kneel-down play? FOr crying out loud, you had the ball with 1:40 left on the clock and the Mustangs had no time-outs left; all you had to do was take three snaps instead of giving us all a heart attack!! Well, it made for a very exciting finish...if Carillo hadn't fumbled that option play, looks like it could have very easily gone the other way! Greenwood Rangers, all of us West Texans are behind you all the way!! DO NOT PLAY AN EAST TEXAS TEAM ON ASTROTURF!!! I hope the Daingerfield game has been scheduled in a mud bowl somewhere. You fellows have a quick swarming defense, but a team with super speed will make the corners on you on artificial turf! Take it from one who knows! :D

<small>[ December 08, 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Da Mules ]</small>

Ranger Mom
12-08-2002, 01:18 PM
That's is NOT what I wanted to hear!! From everything I have heard we play at Coppell and they just put a new field in this year!!

MustangMan
12-08-2002, 02:15 PM
RangerMom, you never responded back to my questions about your administrators letter? Anything there? Also, I agree, what was Coach Purser thinking by not downing the ball? The only thing I can think of was that he was trying to run the score up? I don't know any other reason to do what he did? I certainly hope he had a good reason. He really put your season on the line and for what reason, he had the game won. Just seems weird the more I think about it.

MustangMan
12-08-2002, 02:16 PM
RangerMom, you never responded back to my questions about your administrators letter? Anything there? Also, I agree, what was Coach Purser thinking by not downing the ball? The only thing I can think of was that he was trying to run the score up? I don't know any other reason to do what he did? I certainly hope he had a good reason. He really put your season on the line and for what reason, he had the game won. Just seems weird the more I think about it.

wildstangs
12-08-2002, 03:40 PM
I am very curious as to what happened there at the end. I was setting on the far end and watching our fans pour out of the stadium when everyone started yelling and we came up with the fumbled ball. I certainley hope the Greenwood wasnt trying to run up the score on us. Looked like a pretty clean game to me. I congratulate the Rangers on the win and a great season. Wish luck would have been on our side, but thats the way it goes.

Ranger Mom
12-08-2002, 04:35 PM
I may not know what I am talking about - but from the newspaper articles I have read Purser was not trying to run up the score. He was trying to add up in his head how much time we had left vs. how many times he could take a knee. In his excitement he didn't think there would be enough time left. I WILL NOT sit here and let Purser be accused of running up the score. There has been many times this year we could have scored more and Purser wouldn't let them. He is a coach with a lot of class. I can't say much about his mathmatical abilities though!! :D :D
As far as the letter to the administrator - I have also answered that in another post. If you want to know my take on that game 2 years ago, and since you aren't set up to received PM's, feel free to email me at JPSimmons60@aol.com and I will tell you what I myself experienced that night - I remember it like it was yesterday!!

wildstangs
12-08-2002, 04:41 PM
Ranger Mom:
I may not know what I am talking about - but from the newspaper articles I have read Purser was not trying to run up the score. He was trying to add up in his head how much time we had left vs. how many times he could take a knee. In his excitement he didn't think there would be enough time left. I WILL NOT sit here and let Purser be accused of running up the score. There has been many times this year we could have scored more and Purser wouldn't let them. He is a coach with a lot of class. I can't say much about his mathmatical abilities though!! :D :D
As far as the letter to the administrator - I have also answered that in another post. If you want to know my take on that game 2 years ago, and since you aren't set up to received PM's, feel free to email me at JPSimmons60@aol.com and I will tell you what I myself experienced that night - I remember it like it was yesterday!!Rangermom, I too tried to add up the time in m head. From my adding, I got the impression that they needed to run the ball a little bit before taking knees. I didnt really think Purser was trying to run the score up. I dont think anyone would be that dumb to try something like that. I would like to hear about that night in Sweewater though. Have heard a few stories. Drop me a PM.

Gwoodfan
12-08-2002, 05:08 PM
well from my experience of playing for coach purser he called that play for some odd reason..He has called these kind of plays for years.. there has been many times in past years that people ask themselves why he called something like that..i was a senior and was a runningback for the rangers in 92 and 93.. we had a real big team and a lot of team speed..two of the fastest running backs in the area.. and yes i was one of them..we ran in the state track meet that year in the sprint relay and broke the school record..anyway back to the play calling..we had a chance to make the playoffs agianst kermit that year all we had to do is beat kermit..well it was 4th down and inches and i looked him in the eye and asked him for the ball and all the seniors saw the samething in each others eyes..he picked to kick the ball in a wind gust of 30 or more...to say the least we lost that game....so it didnt suprise me when i heard that he called that play...Wish you all the luck Rangers and keep making west texas proud

Gwoodfan
12-08-2002, 05:10 PM
well from my experience of playing for coach purser he called that play for some odd reason..He has called these kind of plays for years.. there has been many times in past years that people ask themselves why he called something like that..i was a senior and was a runningback for the rangers in 92 and 93.. we had a real big team and a lot of team speed..two of the fastest running backs in the area.. and yes i was one of them..we ran in the state track meet that year in the sprint relay and broke the school record..anyway back to the play calling..we had a chance to make the playoffs agianst kermit that year all we had to do is beat kermit..well it was 4th down and inches and i looked him in the eye and asked him for the ball and all the seniors saw the samething in each others eyes..he picked to kick the ball in a wind gust of 30 or more...to say the least we lost that game....so it didnt suprise me when i heard that he called that play...Wish you all the luck Rangers and keep making west texas proud

Gwoodfan
12-08-2002, 05:14 PM

footballgal
12-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Congratulations RangerMom on your teams win! Sounds like it was a very exicting game I saw the highlights on the extra or the edge or both I can't recall. It also sounds like it ended in great class as both teams showed respect for each other by displaying great sportsmanship.

Ranger Mom
12-08-2002, 05:49 PM
WHAT????
Those shows are on Saturday nights too??
I feel like such an idiot - I was telling my husband I hated these Saturday games because we couldn't watch the highlights. I DO own a TV Guide, I guess I oughta read it!!
Thanks for your congrats, it WAS exciting - way TOO exciting at the end of the 4th quarter!!

Adidas410s
12-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Don't get so worried about having to play an East Texas team on turf. Remember that Wylie beat Everman 2 years ago in the state semifinals on the VERY fast turf at Birdville. The key for Greenwood regardless of surface is to swarm the ball EARLY and not miss their tackles. If nothing else hold on for dear life until somebody else can make the hit. Why dont they play this game at Shotwell? That is 2 1/2 hrs for Greenwood and I probably 3 1/2 to 4 for Daingerfield (I dont know exactly where that is.) That is a neutral field with ample capacity and Shotwell has a very good surface. I really hope that the Winters vs Cisco game is played there this weekend.

mustang04
12-08-2002, 08:03 PM
it was a great game...i was very sad at the end, especially for the seniors, but im glad that we lost fighting...greenwood is a very good team, and we werent playing our "A" game except our defensive and offensive plays in the last couple of minutes, thanx Rangers fans for the compliments of our Class! i remember when i was a freshamn and yall played our varsity, ill admit our students acted terrible, but ever since our new coach, Kent Jackson, came to sweetwater hes changed all the attitude, so i think alot of thanx should go to him, but good luck to yall next week and i hope that yall represent for us...theres always next year!!!!

screechin stang
12-08-2002, 10:22 PM
it was a grat game both teams played their hearts out yall came out on top after getting a slight scare but i wish yall the best of luck go and win state for us lol