PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat regarding BYE week

Third
11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Only 14 of the 33 teams with a BYE in the playoffs advanced to the second round.

3A teams went 5-7
2A teams went 0-3
1A teams were 9-9

3A BYE winners had combined record of 44-5
3A BYE losers were 48-20

2A BYE losers were 17-8

1A BYE winners were 71-16
1A BYE losers were 59-25

Food for thought. I bring it up because I remember seeing someone mention it last week.

Budman007
11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Interesting stats. Thank goodness we were one of the fortunate ones.

Johnny Utah
11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
The byes have a negative affect in my opinion, and it occurs in all sports.

Red&White_9x5
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
The byes have a negative affect in my opinion, and it occurs in all sports.

I agree. This past weekend in football is a good example, but I have seen this trend in all three major sports (football, basketball, and baseball). The bye week seems to get teams out of a routine. I am sure the problem will be soved in the future as the trickle down effect will happen thanks to the UIL. I am betting that it won't be long until 4 teams go to the playoffs in all classifications

alaskacat
11-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree it would be a travesty for a team to actually have to accomplish something before they made the playoffs. It might harm their self esteem in later life:)

88bobcats
11-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Third
Only 14 of the 33 teams with a BYE in the playoffs advanced to the second round.

3A teams went 5-7
2A teams went 0-3
1A teams were 9-9

3A BYE winners had combined record of 44-5
3A BYE losers were 48-20

2A BYE losers were 17-8

1A BYE winners were 71-16
1A BYE losers were 59-25

Food for thought. I bring it up because I remember seeing someone mention it last week.

Be careful....stat's. like this can be misleading. The question I would ask is this: "How many teams with first-round byes were 'expected' to win round two but lost?"

As an example, the Caldwell Hornets are a very good football team and they had a first-round bye. However, I believe only the Caldwell faithful game them a chance in the game against WO-S. Caldwell lost their second-round game to the Mustangs, but I don't think it was the result of having a bye week. I think WO-S would have won against Caldwell even if they had played in week 11 or if Caldwell had a first-round game.

Just my two cents.....

Dogman_1969
11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I think the bye week hurt us on offense. We seemed out of sink at times early......

Rabid Cougar
11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
Be careful....stat's. like this can be misleading. The question I would ask is this: "How many teams with first-round byes were 'expected' to win round two but lost?"

As an example, the Caldwell Hornets are a very good football team and they had a first-round bye. However, I believe only the Caldwell faithful game them a chance in the game against WO-S. Caldwell lost their second-round game to the Mustangs, but I don't think it was the result of having a bye week. I think WO-S would have won against Caldwell even if they had played in week 11 or if Caldwell had a first-round game.

Just my two cents.....

Caldwell was the third place team. I agree, it wouldn't mattered when they played.