PDA

View Full Version : Is it just because?

tejones@etex.ne
11-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Is it just because the Buckeyes had a bad defensive game against Mexia that the once loyal fans think they will lose this Saturday or do you really think that WOS is that good?I simply believe the "Black Flag" defense will reappear along with good receiving hands on offense and they win this game.I"m not taking away anything from WOS,but the Bucks have played up or down to their competition before.Keep the faith!!!:confused: :hand: :cool:

WOS87
11-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by tejones@etex.ne
Is it just because the Buckeyes had a bad defensive game against Mexia that the once loyal fans think they will lose this Saturday or do you really think that WOS is that good?I simply believe the "Black Flag" defense will reappear along with good receiving hands on offense and they win this game.I"m not taking away anything from WOS,but the Bucks have played up or down to their competition before.Keep the faith!!!:confused: :hand: :cool:

One could say the exact same thing about WO-S...

EXCEPT that WO-S hasn't given up over 21 points in a single game in the past 35 consecutive games ...

Which is much less than...

the 36 pts Gilmer gave up this past week to Mexia
the 28 they gave up to Kilgore earlier this season
the 28 they gave up to Jasper earlier this season
the 38 they gave up to Liberty Hill in '07
the 36 they gave up to Dallas Roosevelt in '07
the 28 they gave up to Mabank in '07
the 26 they gave up to Liberty-Eylau in '07
the 28 they gave up to Tatum in '07
the 39 they gave up to Liberty-Eylau in '06
and the 42 they gave up to 2A Daingerfield in '06

...over the same period of time!!!

Our DC rules

:D

tejones@etex.ne
11-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Those are not bad odds, 6 out of 10,thats 60%.The Bucks will still win.

thatboiwes
11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
If we would have beat Mexica 50-0, I would have still predicted WOS to beat Gilmer. Not that I want Gilmer to lose. I hope I prove myself wrong.

thatboiwes
11-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by WOS87

Our DC rules

:D [/B]

As a side note, all of those game except for the Daingerfield and Kilgore games were played on neutral sites.

Wait, that doesn't make it any better.

3afan
11-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
One could say the exact same thing about WO-S...

EXCEPT that WO-S hasn't given up over 21 points in a single game in the past 35 consecutive games ...

Our DC rules

:D

well anything prior to, lets say, October of '08, is irrelevant

dirtydan
11-24-2008, 11:20 PM

dirtydan
11-24-2008, 11:23 PM
old dragon- the bucks will not lose this one., contrary to miss no-it -all prediction. i bet she's got a big mouth.

dirtydan
11-25-2008, 08:52 AM
old dragon-we saw this old hen several months back. she wouldn't know the front of a football if you handed it to her. there were two of them; one was wearing a cowgirl outfit, the other was wearing a puke purple jacket. the mexia team was a carbon copy of the bucks, just like playing yourself. the bulls had a nite off during the mexia game but conventional wisdom says they will be ready for this next one. after crunching the numbers the advantage still goes to the bucks.

waterboy
11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey, WOS87, we are making an offer for your defensive coordinator. How much money do we need to come up with to lure him away?:devil: :1popcorn:

Just kidding! :D We have made great strides on the defensive side of the ball. I like the improvements we've made. Other than the second half of last week's game, this defense has gotten better each week as the season progressed. Give me a very good defensive team over an explosive offensive team anyday, but it doesn't hurt to have BOTH.:D As someone once said, "Offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championship."

Rocket Dad
11-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Why is it that Gilmer had a "bad" defensive game against Mexia and not - Mexia had a great offensive game against Gilmer? That Mexia offense has been productive all season. They are (were) really balanced and improved weekly this season. Let's give credit to the Mexia "O" !

GUNHO
11-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
well anything prior to, lets say, October of '08, is irrelevant

Yeah,your right 3afan...but there dose seem to be a pattern here.They still seem to give up a lot of points.On the other hand they still seem to score a lot of points.If you can put up the numbres it really dosen't matter how good your defense is.That's why wo-s defense is going to be the key as to weather they will advance.It's going to be a heck of a game and imo there is no clear cut favorite in this one.

waterboy
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Why is it that Gilmer had a "bad" defensive game against Mexia and not - Mexia had a great offensive game against Gilmer? That Mexia offense has been productive all season. They are (were) really balanced and improved weekly this season. Let's give credit to the Mexia "O" !
I guess you can look at it either way. Mexia had a very good offense with a lot of good athletes. So really there's no shame there on either side. It's just that the Buckeyes have played teams that ran a similar offense and had more success stopping them, although they weren't of Mexia's quality. The Buckeyes have stopped, or contained, the run all year, yet in the second half of the Mexia game they didn't. The Blackcats broke contain the entire second half of that game, something that hadn't happened all year up until that game. Kudos to Mexia for being able to do that. I guess it just depends on which point of view you take. It's definitely NOT a knock on Mexia's offense, and I think the Blackcats will be a force to reckon with next year. They are definitely headed in the right direction with their program.

Crimestick
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Let's not forget that WO-S averaged 44 points a game this year as well. Our offense is pretty darn explosive as well. Here's the scoring line for our most recent game (Caldwell). Keep in mind that it was against a Slot-T offense that chewed up tons of clock time:

Scoring summary
CAL -- Trenton Sims 9-yard run (Michael McCoy kick), 1:46, 1st.
WOS -- Ortavious Hypolite 8-yard pass to Adrian Steen (Justin Sparrow kick), 8:11, 2nd.
WOS -- Quintavious Garrett 19-yard run (Justin Sparrow kick), 4:23, 2nd.
WOS -- Ortavious Hypolite 69-yard run (Justin Sparrow kick), 2:23, 2nd.
WOS -- Quintavious Garrett 38-yard run (Justin Sparrow kick), 9:20, 3rd.
WOS -- Ortavious Hypolite 29-yard pass to Curtis Rose ( kick failed), 4:58, 4th.
WOS -- Justin Sparrow 25-yard field goal ( ), 11:16, 4th.

Game Notables and Highlights

West Orange-Stark's Ortavious Hypolite ran for a 69 yard touchdown in the second quarter.
West Orange-Stark had 467 offensive yards.
Caldwell averaged 406 yards rushing coming into the game. WO-S held them to 140 yards on 40 carries - including a run of 70 yards and one of more than 40, neither of which ended in the end zone.

waterboy
11-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Let's not forget that WO-S averaged 44 points a game this year as well. Our offense is pretty darn explosive as well. Here's the scoring line for our most recent game (Caldwell). Keep in mind that it was against a Slot-T offense that chewed up tons of clock time:

Scoring summary
CAL -- Trenton Sims 9-yard run (Michael McCoy kick), 1:46, 1st.
WOS -- Ortavious Hypolite 8-yard pass to Adrian Steen (Justin Sparrow kick), 8:11, 2nd.
WOS -- Quintavious Garrett 19-yard run (Justin Sparrow kick), 4:23, 2nd.
WOS -- Ortavious Hypolite 69-yard run (Justin Sparrow kick), 2:23, 2nd.
WOS -- Quintavious Garrett 38-yard run (Justin Sparrow kick), 9:20, 3rd.
WOS -- Ortavious Hypolite 29-yard pass to Curtis Rose ( kick failed), 4:58, 4th.
WOS -- Justin Sparrow 25-yard field goal ( ), 11:16, 4th.

Game Notables and Highlights

West Orange-Stark's Ortavious Hypolite ran for a 69 yard touchdown in the second quarter.
West Orange-Stark had 467 offensive yards.
Caldwell averaged 406 yards rushing coming into the game. WO-S held them to 140 yards on 40 carries - including a run of 70 yards and one of more than 40, neither of which ended in the end zone.
That is definitely impressive. That defense is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of West Orange-Stark, but this year they have an offense to go along with that awesome defense. I won't hesitate to tell ya, it does make me nervous about the game Saturday. I think the outcome of this game is dependent on whether the Black Flag defense can stop the Mustang offense enough to keep us in the game. They will have to for us to have any chance at pulling off the win.

JR2004
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM

I think Jeff Traylor is a very, very good head coach who is easily on pace to win well over 300 games in his career if he chooses to coach for that long.

After seeing WO-S last season, I happen to think Dan Hooks and his DC, Cornell Thompson, are better right now. Even after seeing WO-S lose to MODOC last year I left the game feeling that WO-S has the best DC in the state. If they had something resembling a competent offensive game plan they'd be the defending state champions right now.

I won't be surprised at whichever team wins this game, but I like the Mustangs chances because of their defense. Who knows Gilmer could go out and put 40 on the board and all this would be a mute point. I've never quite understood why Gilmer calls their defense the "Black Flag" defense though. I've seen them three times in person and two of the three games it was their offense that carried them. I think it might be more appropriate to call them the "white flag" defense when I'm in attendance!

Kidding of course on that last part. :)