23. Oregon, 0.155;
24. Northwestern, 0.113;
25. Pittsburgh, 0.041

DDBooger
11-23-2008, 06:56 PM
:D :clap:

OldBison75
11-23-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm shocked, I figured that Oklahomo or Florida would vault over Texas to Number 2. I don't necessarily think they should, but the BCS formula is so stupid, anything is possible.

Now, if Texas can keep their heads straight and win out, which is very likely, they should be in the National Championship game. I expect Florida to beat Alabama in the SEC hampionship and see a Texas vs Florida matchup. Should be a helluva game.

DDBooger
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I'm shocked, I figured that Oklahomo or Florida would vault over Texas to Number 2. I don't necessarily think they should, but the BCS formula is so stupid, anything is possible.

Now, if Texas can keep their heads straight and win out, which is very likely, they should be in the National Championship game. I expect Florida to beat Alabama in the SEC hampionship and see a Texas vs Florida matchup. Should be a helluva game. I hope texas doesn't do a choke job vs A&M, they may need some style points to keep that spot and then win the big 12 championship

Emerson1
11-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Can you post the link please

wildstangs
11-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Can you post the link please

I got it off Orangebloods. Great news is that Texas is number 2. Unfortunately OU is only .08 behind the longhorns, and will probably pass Texas with a win over OSU. Texas fans have to take care of business this week against aggy and then hope that Briles and Baylor have the game of their life and knock off Teck.

Panther One
11-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
1. Alabama, 0.987;
2. Texas, 0.920;
3. Oklahoma, 0.912;
4. Florida, 0.875;

Coaches Top 25
Rk Team Points
1 Alabama (56) 1518
2 Oklahoma (4) 1412
3 Florida (1) 1401
4 Texas 1370

Harris Top 25
Rk Team Points
1 Alabama (108) 2839
2 Florida (3) 2644
3 Oklahoma (2) 2598
4 Texas 2577

Texas has the computers to thank for being at #2 this week. If strength of schedule is a factor in the computer rankings, the Horns will more than likely lose that .008 advantage over OU after this week's game if both them and OU win, and win like they should. Their SOS will take a hit playing A&M, while OU's will rise playing oSu.

DDBooger
11-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Panther One

Texas has the computers to think for being at #2 this week. well, that and beating OU straight up, no?

Panther One
11-23-2008, 07:11 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/polls

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8838706/Texas-moves-up-to-No.-2-in-BCS

GetRDoneStangs
11-23-2008, 07:15 PM
What I realy find so funny is that......

Tech Really Thought They Had a Chance at the National Championship..HA HA..HA..HA..HA..!!!!!!!

.ok I have to stop laughing as I am about to Choke....

ok I am better......

. HA..HA.HA..HA..HA !!!!!!!!

wildstangs
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/polls

They said the Big 12 could have three teams in BCS games, but that can't happen as only two teams from a conference can go.

Panther One
Originally posted by DDBooger
well, that and beating OU straight up, no?
The fact that it gave OU one loss, yes, but the voters seem to be overlooking it.

DDBooger
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
The fact that it gave OU one loss, yes, but the voters seem to be overlooking it. appears so! either team will represent well, I just hope a team from texas represents. Tech blew it BADLY, so Go Horns!

Emerson1
11-23-2008, 07:23 PM

Texas has the computers to thank for being at #2 this week. If strength of schedule is a factor in the computer rankings, the Horns will more than likely lose that .008 advantage over OU after this week's game if both them and OU win, and win like they should. Their SOS will take a hit playing A&M, while OU's will rise playing oSu.
Nothing wrong with the computers. They are 100% unbias and have the facts from the entire season, not just what have you done for me lately like human polls.

Panther One
11-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Nothing wrong with the computers. They are 100% unbias and have the facts from the entire season, not just what have you done for me lately like human polls.
Sometimes you need bias. Sometimes scores aren't indicative of how the game was played. If Team A is highly ranked and is upset by 2 points by Team B because they turned it over 5 times, a human can factor that into their thinking and consider it an anomaly. To the computer, it's just a 2 point loss and its factored in like any other game. I also think that how a team is playing at the end of the season should be giving strong consideration. After all, in a playoff system, the team playing the best at that time usually wins. Since there is no playoff system, humans have to reflect that in their rankings.

None of this would matter, of course, if they'd just settle the debate with a playoff system.

Go_Wylie2000
11-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Where did you get your information cause from what I can tell they haven't even came out yet.:thinking:

Emerson1
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Go_Wylie2000
Where did you get your information cause from what I can tell they haven't even came out yet.:thinking:

It's released during The OT

lbjacj
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
They said the Big 12 could have three teams in BCS games, but that can't happen as only two teams from a conference can go.

This was talked about in another thread and they said that this could happen this time.

augie97
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I said this last night during the game thread, Could you imagine if Texas used the silly system to determine its' state champion. All the politicing and selling that would go on. The NCAA could learn a lesson from the UIL.

Go_Wylie2000
11-23-2008, 09:12 PM

It's released during The OT

I see, thanks

VAMike
11-23-2008, 09:14 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=BCS

It is still the computers keeping the Longhorns up there.

crzyjournalist03
11-24-2008, 10:53 AM

well, actually three could go, but it won't happen. If somehow Texas and OU end the season ranked #1 and #2 in the BCS, but say OU loses to Missouri in the Big XII championship, three teams would get in. But there's basically no chance that the team that loses the Big XII chamipionship stays ranked #2.

Texasfootball2
11-24-2008, 12:32 PM
HERES WHAT I WANT TO KNOW:thinking:

"IF" - Oklahoma State upsets OU next Sat. in Stillwater!

Texas Tech will go to the Big 12 Championship game!

"IF" - Tech were to beat Missouri and win the Big 12, they would be 12-1.

"IF" - Oregon St. beats Oregon this Saturday and wins the PAC 10.

Who would the winner of the SEC Championship game play:doh:

Texas???? Can you put someone in the BCS Championship game who didn't even win their conference.

USC????? See above statement :ditto:

UTAH???? Does anybody really think they have a chance to get in the big game.

That leaves two BCS conference champions with one loss, 12-1 Texas Tech from the strong Big 12, and 11-1 Penn St from a weak Big 10.

This will be a huge mess if OSU upsets OU. I know many of you are thinking they have no chance but in Stillwater they have a legimate chance of pulling it off, especially catching OU after a huge emotional win.

JMO

:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :D :D

cshscougar08
11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
The computers will be back on our side this week. Look at it this way:

There is a .008 difference between Texas and OU in the BCS. That can be attributed to SOS. What looks better to a computer?

Texas beating a pathetic 4-7 A&M team at home?
OR
OU beating #12, 9-2 OSU on the road?

You make the choice.

HM33
11-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I think is OU beats OSU by 14+ and Texas beats A&M just by a few, OU jumps. The coaches will definitly vote that way. and the computers should be smart enough to notice it, but then again we are talking about the BCS system.

Texasfootball2
11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
HERES WHAT I WANT TO KNOW:thinking:

"IF" - Oklahoma State upsets OU next Sat. in Stillwater!

Texas Tech will go to the Big 12 Championship game!

"IF" - Tech were to beat Missouri and win the Big 12, they would be 12-1.

"IF" - Oregon St. beats Oregon this Saturday and wins the PAC 10.

Who would the winner of the SEC Championship game play:doh:

Texas???? Can you put someone in the BCS Championship game who didn't even win their conference.

USC????? See above statement :ditto:

UTAH???? Does anybody really think they have a chance to get in the big game.

That leaves two BCS conference champions with one loss, 12-1 Texas Tech from the strong Big 12, and 11-1 Penn St from a weak Big 10.

This will be a huge mess if OSU upsets OU. I know many of you are thinking they have no chance but in Stillwater they have a legimate chance of pulling it off, especially catching OU after a huge emotional win.

JMO

:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :D :D

Still waiting on someone to solve the ultimate BCS riddle??????:doh:

JasperDog94
11-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Can you put someone in the BCS Championship game who didn't even win their conference. :D :D It's happened before. Once with OU in 2004 and I think Nebraska in 2001.

GreenGobbla
11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by HM33
[B]I think is OU beats OSU by 14+ and Texas beats A&M just by a few, OU jumps.

i agree

florida-oklahoma in the national championshipr

cshscougar08
11-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I think is OU beats OSU by 14+ and Texas beats A&M just by a few, OU jumps. The coaches will definitly vote that way. and the computers should be smart enough to notice it, but then again we are talking about the BCS system.

The coaches already have voted that way. A win against A&M is expected of Texas. I don't see how Texas just winning a game that they are heavily favored to win would change anything.

forum_guy
11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75

Now, if Texas can keep their heads straight and win out, which is very likely, they should be in the National Championship game. I expect Florida to beat Alabama in the SEC hampionship and see a Texas vs Florida matchup. Should be a helluva game.

are u on drugs?? texas winning out means nothing...that doesnt even guarantee them a spot in the big 12 game...the way OU is playing they would probably destroy every team in the country except florida which they will play in the national championship...are u forgetting that OU winning out jumps them above texas easily and if it happens UT fans can whine all they want but OU would be the best matchup for a Gators team..they are both playing the best ball in the country right now

eagles_victory
11-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
The computers will be back on our side this week. Look at it this way:

There is a .008 difference between Texas and OU in the BCS. That can be attributed to SOS. What looks better to a computer?

Texas beating a pathetic 4-7 A&M team at home?
OR
OU beating #12, 9-2 OSU on the road?

You make the choice. My choice is the team that won the head to head matchup and the only team in the 3 way tie to win a game away from their home field.

JasperDog94
11-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
are u on drugs?? texas winning out means nothing...that doesnt even guarantee them a spot in the big 12 game...the way OU is playing they would probably destroy every team in the country except florida which they will play in the national championship...are u forgetting that OU winning out jumps them above texas easily and if it happens UT fans can whine all they want but OU would be the best matchup for a Gators team..they are both playing the best ball in the country right now While you are entitled to your opinion, don't confuse your opinion with facts. You may feel that OU is the only team that would give Florida a game, but that's just your opinion.

This is a fact: Texas beat OU on a neutral field by 10 this year.:)

cshscougar08
11-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Which is a fact that is proving to matter less and less.

cshscougar08
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
My choice is the team that won the head to head matchup and the only team in the 3 way tie to win a game away from their home field.

Like I said, that's not gonna matter anymore. The facts from November 29th are that OU is playing a very good, 12th ranked team on the road and that Texas is playing a pathetic 4-7 team at home. THAT is what matters.

Texasfootball2
11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
My choice is the team that won the head to head matchup and the only team in the 3 way tie to win a game away from their home field. I am going to store this post away until next week. If OSU beats OU and Tech and Texas are tied you need not whine about Tech going to the Big 12 championship and the Horn's possibly getting hosed. Remember, Head to Head!

NastySlot
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
While you are entitled to your opinion, don't confuse your opinion with facts. You may feel that OU is the only team that would give Florida a game, but that's just your opinion.

and the fact is the way the system is set up oklahoma is sitting good right now....if they win this weekend............people are always making comments about style points and scoring enough to get points with in the bcs system.........ou did this weekend...they were a fourth down stop short of scoring 70/71 points on the second ranked team in the nation.......not an ou fan but they opened a lot of eyes.....the voters look at who is playing well at the end of the season that has been their arguement that every week is a playoff........texas could win by 100 this weekend and i don't think it would help them.......but i do believe texas has an outside shot at bcs and maybe championship.......my take.....ou wins plays missouri and loses..(i think missouri wins in a rematch with texas also jmo)...texas gets invite to bcs maybe even championship...cause the human factor bites ou in ^$$.....no one wants to see them lose another bcs game...esp tv.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I am going to store this post away until next week. If OSU beats OU and Tech and Texas are tied you need not whine about Tech going to the Big 12 championship and the Horn's possibly getting hosed. Remember, Head to Head!

I dont think one Texas fan will have a problem with TTech going to Big 12 Title game if OU loses..

OU loses Texas is playing in NC game no matter who is playing in Big 12 Title game

Also no Texas fan is saying TTech should not go to Big 12 title game if it is a tie between just Texas and TTech...that was decided on the field

The problem is OU/Texas was decided on the field, but for some reason that has become null and void

which PROVES the BS of the BCS..they say every game counts..this is saying it does not

NastySlot
11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think one Texas fan will have a problem with TTech going to Big 12 Title game if OU loses..

OU loses Texas is playing in NC game no matter who is playing in Big 12 Title game

Also no Texas fan is saying TTech should not go to Big 12 title game if it is a tie between just Texas and TTech...that was decided on the field

The problem is OU/Texas was decided on the field, but for some reason that has become null and void

which PROVES the BS of the BCS..they say every game counts..this is saying it does not

more bs...texas not winning its conference yet playing in the title game....it didn't win it's division out right.......my system only conference with championships and champions go to playoffs...(8 teams) everyone else goes to bowls...everybody is happy.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
more bs...texas not winning its conference yet playing in the title game....it didn't win it's division out right.......my system only conference with championships and champions go to playoffs...(8 teams) everyone else goes to bowls...everybody is happy.

oh hey I agree 100%..but the system we have now is one they play in..and that system says it can happen

cshscougar08
11-24-2008, 03:30 PM

The problem is, they can't say that game counts the way it should. The logic simply doesn't work. If you say that Texas is ahead of OU, then Tech has to be ahead of Texas because they beat them and I really don't give a darn how close it was. Tech beat Texas plain and simple. But then you can't put Tech ahead of OU because we took them behind the woodshed and let them have it. So that's why it's not counting like it should. The other games don't work with each other. See what I'm saying?

NastySlot
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
oh hey I agree 100%..but the system we have now is one they play in..and that system says it can happen

your right everyone knows it could be a mess at the of the season and it keeps everyone guessing.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 03:32 PM
The problem is, they can't say that game counts the way it should. The logic simply doesn't work. If you say that Texas is ahead of OU, then Tech has to be ahead of Texas because they beat them and I really don't give a darn how close it was. Tech beat Texas plain and simple. But then you can't put Tech ahead of OU because we took them behind the woodshed and let them have it. So that's why it's not counting like it should. The other games don't work with each other. See what I'm saying?

oh I know..but the BCS backers use that crap logic...oh with this EVERY game counts and so on and so on

Electus Unus
11-24-2008, 03:32 PM
In 2001 Nebraska played in the BCS national championship game without winning their conference. It also happened for Oklahoma in 2003 when they got thumped by Kansas State then went on to get beat by LSU in the BCS national championship.

cshscougar08
11-24-2008, 03:34 PM
oh I know..but the BCS backers use that crap logic...oh with this EVERY game counts and so on and so on

Yeah it sucks. We need a playoff so badly. It's sad that we're too concerned with how much money we can make on bowls and TV to set up a way to truly decide the best team in the country without dispute.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah it sucks. We need a playoff so badly. It's sad that we're too concerned with how much money we can make on bowls and TV to set up a way to truly decide the best team in the country without dispute.

it is not just money

just because some coaches want a play-off most dont..looks better for them to end a 7-5 season with a bowl trip and win then end it 7-5 and have 5-10 years without a play-off trip

Texasfootball2
11-24-2008, 03:40 PM

I wouldn't say it's a lock the UT goes to the title game if OU loses. I understand that OU and Neb made it to the title game after not winning their conference championship, but in "both" cases OU and Neb. "played" in their conference title game and it was their only loss.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Tech to have made it but after Saturday I would be perfectly satisfied if UT made it, but if OSU upsets OU and Oregon State beats Oregon. There is no telling what the BCS is going to do, if Tech wins the Big 12 Title. Especially if there are 2 BCS conference champions (TT 12-1 and Penn St. 11-1) with one loss and one of them beat UT.

This is just the kind of mess could finally break the BCS and force them to do something, even if was just and "And One System". That would be better than what we have.

HM33
11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
#s 1-8 play in a tourny to decide the NC. The rest of the bowls stay. Easiest way to solve it. Keep the BCS (which they will) but have a 8 team playoff.

forum_guy
11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
guys we can complain all we want but we are stuck with the bcs i want to say atleast until 2014

jason
11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
guys we can complain all we want but we are stuck with the bcs i want to say atleast until 2014 yup

Texasfootball2
11-24-2008, 03:53 PM
guys we can complain all we want but we are stuck with the bcs i want to say atleast until 2014

Were also stuck with a screwed up goverment "forever" and yet I'll bet you complain about it, so I say linch mobbed the BCS and may in a few years they'll do something about it.

Necks_Fan
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
#s 1-8 play in a tourny to decide the NC. The rest of the bowls stay. Easiest way to solve it. Keep the BCS (which they will) but have a 8 team playoff. Howo you determine the seeds?

The BCS????? :doh:

There will be complainers about that too.

forum_guy
11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
lets just wait and see if OU loses to OSU and then the real debating can start..i personally think OU wins by 17+ pts and then will jump texas...all u longhorn fans can say well how can that happen we beat OU, get over it... aside from florida, OU is playing the best football in the country right now and those are the teams you want playing for the NC

HM33
11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Howo you determine the seeds?

The BCS????? :doh:

There will be complainers about that too.

Hell I don't care. Draw them out of a hat. Better than what they have now :)

Third
11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
lets just wait and see if OU loses to OSU and then the real debating can start..i personally think OU wins by 17+ pts and then will jump texas...all u longhorn fans can say well how can that happen we beat OU, get over it... aside from florida, OU is playing the best football in the country right now and those are the teams you want playing for the NC

Putting up lots of points against Vandy, S. Carolina and the Citadel is playing the best football?

Get over it? Let's reverse it and say OU was fixing to get leapfrogged, would you just get over it?

People keep saying that OU is playing their best football since losing to Texas but guess what, they were playing some pretty good football going into the UT game too.
Chattanooga 57-2
Cincinnati 52-26
at Washington 55-14
TCU 35-10
at Baylor 49-17

You can't erase a loss just because you're playing well now, you can't just base things on the now, you have to play well from start to finish.

forum_guy
11-24-2008, 04:08 PM
If OU and UT and TT win out:

-OU will have the only win over a ranked opponent on the road.
-OU will have beat more ranked opponents than UT or TT.
-OU will have played more ranked opponents than UT or TT.

how can u argue against an OU being ranked higher than texas

i rest my case

Third
11-24-2008, 04:12 PM

i rest my case

Counting your chickens before they hatch? Even still,
UT > OU 45-35

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 04:12 PM

i rest my case

The Sooners' 11 opponents have a combined record of 66-58.

The Longhorns' 11 opponents have a combined record of 79-54

Sooners beat a 1-11 FCS team and did not play Mizzou

Texas beat Mizzou( Big 12 north champ) and did not play one FCS team

Just showing the numbers can be turned around to any side of this argument

and oh yea..Texas beat OU

forum_guy
11-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Third
Counting your chickens before they hatch? Even still,
UT > OU 45-35

im not an OU fan but its the truth...and no im not counting them before they hatch because my whole statement was IF they win out....when its a 3 way tie and OU goes to the nc all u longhorn fans can have fun watching mack brown and the boys lose to usc in the fiesta bowl

Third
11-24-2008, 04:23 PM

and oh yea..Texas beat OU

Exactly, the only numbers I refer to are the ones on the scoreboard. What did those say...oh yeah, 45-35 Texas. Sooners can twist it and argue it all they want. The BCS has proven to be a joke and letting OU leapfrog Texas will only cement that even more.

Here's something to consider, if OU and UT both win out and OU beats Florida or Alabama in the title game, do we get a split title, OU and UT? Or is UT named National Champion?

Texasfootball2
11-24-2008, 04:24 PM
The Sooners' 11 opponents have a combined record of 66-58.

The Longhorns' 11 opponents have a combined record of 79-54

Sooners beat a 1-11 FCS team and did not play Mizzou

Texas beat Mizzou( Big 12 north champ) and did not play one FCS team

and oh yea..Texas beat OU Okay then Tech 11 opponents have a combined record of 71-53:D

Isn't this a lot fun:2thumbsup

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Okay then Tech 11 opponents have a combined record of 71-53:D

Isn't this a lot fun:2thumbsup

and they played not one..but TWO FCS schools

and yes it is actually a fun debate because each team has a legit point for the most part( I do think Tech's crushing loss puts them really behind the 8 ball)

jason
11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
texas' one loss was by 1 point on the road to a higher ranked team

oklahomas one loss was by 10 points at a neutral site to a lower ranked team

texas tech's one loss was by 44 points @ home to a lower ranked team

forum_guy
11-24-2008, 04:30 PM
i like when people call it a neutral site...everytime i go the crowd seems to be anti-ou

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 04:31 PM
i like when people call it a neutral site...everytime i go the crowd seems to be anti-ou

oh cmon..it is exactly 50/50

Texasfootball2
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
and they played not one..but TWO FCS schools

and yes it is actually a fun debate because each team has a legit point for the most part( I do think Tech's crushing loss puts them really behind the 8 ball)

I agree, a close loss would have left them in a much better position but if we think this is nuts right now, again this is "if" OSU beats OU next Sat. can you imagine how many other teams are going to be pleading their case because Texas is not even going to qualify for their own conference championship.

bullpen
11-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Like many Texans I hope OU loses to OSU. This allows 2 Texas teams into the BCS. TT by beating Missouri will leap frog everyone but Florida (I don't see UT making the MNC game because a 2 loss OU hurts their SOS, didn't win their 1/2 of conference (see UGA last year)) and TT beat UT in a head to head). Florida wins the MNC game either way (I don't think any team matches up w/ Florida too well). This will allows UT to kick USC's behinds yet again. If OU wins this weekend same results (Florida still wins MNC, UT still wins Fiesta) just that only one Texas team gets to play in a BCS bowl game.

I agree w/ those who say TT, OU, & UT deserve a shot but one gets left at home. On the upside unless UT loses to the hapless aggies it will not be them.

Those who hate the BCS think of it this way without it FL/Bama would play some dogmeat team in the Sugar and be #1. OU/TT/Missouri would play some dogmeat team from back east in the Orange and be #2. Everyone would complain even more. No the BCS is not perfect but it is better than it was.

Emerson1
11-24-2008, 05:28 PM
The crowd isn't the only part of HFA. Both teams have to stay in hotels and do not get the luxuries of being at home

augie97
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Since games don't matter in August, September, and October, why don't they just play three games in November and whomever *(looks)* the best no matter if they when or lose can go on to the conference championship and then onto the national championship to play for something that is totally meaningless because it couldn't be decided legitametly on the field....Oh wait it was decided on the field....the score was 45-35...my bad...it happened in October that doesn't count. By the way can anyone tell me who's Florida SOS doesn't come into play.....And please don't give that SEC crap, because I have watched all the games and the SEC stinks this year. I say that Tech, OU, and Texas play best two out of tournement and we decide it that way.

CueroDad08
11-24-2008, 06:35 PM
WHY ALL THE SMACK ABOUT OU OR UT AND WHO WILL PLAY FLORIDA. EVERYONE REALLY NEEDS TO LOOK AT WHO FLORIDA LOST TO AT HOME. WHY IS IT A DONE DEAL FOR FLORIDA TO EVEN BE IN IT? AFTER THEY DO WIN AGAINST ALABAMA ITS JUST ONE MORE TEAM WITH ONE IN THE L SIDE. I SAY TAKE ALL THE ONE LOSE TEAMS AND LOOK AT WHO THEY LOST TO AND THAT TEAMS RECORD AT THE END OF THE YEAR. AND LOOK AT WERE THEY PLAYED WHEN THEY LOST, AND BY HOW MUCH.
THEN I WOULD SAY IT WOULD AND SHOULD BE OU AND UT FOR BCS CHAMPIONSHIP.

gatordaze
11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
WHY ALL THE SMACK ABOUT OU OR UT AND WHO WILL PLAY FLORIDA. EVERYONE REALLY NEEDS TO LOOK AT WHO FLORIDA LOST TO AT HOME. WHY IS IT A DONE DEAL FOR FLORIDA TO EVEN BE IN IT? AFTER THEY DO WIN AGAINST ALABAMA ITS JUST ONE MORE TEAM WITH ONE LOOSE. I SAY TAKE ALL THE ONE LOOSE TEAMS AND LOOK AT WHO THEY LOST TO AND THAT TEAMS RECORD AT THE END OF THE YEAR. AND LOOK AT WERE THEY PLAYED WHEN THEY LOST, AND BY HOW MUCH.
THEN I WOULD SAY IT WOULD AND SHOULD BE OU AND UT FOR BCS CHAMPIONSHIP.

Does not work that way. It is strength of schedule and who lost when. IF Florida beats #20 FSU and #1 Alabama they will jump Texas or OU whichever does not play in your CCG. USC has the same problem as they do not play a CCG. IF and that is NOT determined the Gators win out they go.

Keystonepride
11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by bullpen

Those who hate the BCS think of it this way without it FL/Bama would play some dogmeat team in the Sugar and be #1. OU/TT/Missouri would play some dogmeat team from back east in the Orange and be #2. Everyone would complain even more. No the BCS is not perfect but it is better than it was.

I think everyone would complain equally...they would also be complaining about the same thing...deciding the D1 champ on the field instead of behind closed doors...

it still sucks and always will until there is at LEAST a 4 team Playoff!!!!

I don't think any true college football fan is happy with the system as it is now....

that's a problem

CueroDad08
11-24-2008, 09:00 PM
BCS has been very lucky over the years. This could be the first with a major prob. after all said and done.
Hell maybe Baylor will pull off the upset and you can forget about all the OU - Florida two hottest teams matchup.

augie97
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
BCS has been very lucky over the years. This could be the first with a major prob. after all said and done.
Hell maybe Baylor will pull off the upset and you can forget about all the OU - Florida two hottest teams matchup.

wouldn't that be nice!

augie97
11-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Here is something else that I thouhgt interesting and that pertains to this conversation. Texas State which is a Divison II school started their season on 8/30/08. They played twelve games which included one game against a Division I school. They went 8-4 on the year and won the Southland Conference Championship. On November 29th they play Montana in the first round of the DII playoffs. 8 conference champions received automatic bids and there were 8 more teams that accepted at large berths. The same is done at the DIII level. Since all this playoff talk too presidents of schools and board of regents is about the student athlete why are there playoffs at the DII and DIII level and not bowl games. Isn't this system sanctioned by the same NCAA that sanctions the BCS system for DI.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mustangpride09
11-24-2008, 09:46 PM
It's happened before. Once with OU in 2004 and I think Nebraska in 2001.

Cant happen anymore, they changed that rule this year because of what Georgia almost did last year. You now are required to play in your conference championship game or win your conference in order to play in the NC.

JasperDog94
11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
Cant happen anymore, they changed that rule this year because of what Georgia almost did last year. You now are required to play in your conference championship game or win your conference in order to play in the NC. Where did you hear this?

JasperDog94
11-24-2008, 10:09 PM
HA!!! So much for Texas not playing anybody this year.

Link (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=880737)

Emerson1
11-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Big 12 Shakeout

And you thought the political season was finally behind us.

You haven't seen anything yet.

With the Big 12 South possibly headed toward a dreaded three-way tie between Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech, coaches and officials from all sides are looking for the nearest soapbox.

If the Sooners, Longhorns and Red Raiders win their final regular-season games this week, they'll finish tied atop the Big 12 South. The South representative would be decided by which team is ranked highest in the second to last BCS standings. The Big 12 South winner will play Missouri in the Dec. 6 Big 12 championship game in Kansas City.

If the Big 12 South champion wins the Big 12 title, it figures to play for the BCS National Championship.

So all sides are moving quickly to garner public support.

"If you can't move us in front of Texas because they beat us, then you have to keep Texas Tech in front of Texas," Sooners coach Bob Stoops told reporters after the Texas Tech win. "If it's logical for one, then it's logical for the other."

The Sooners' victory was more than enough to impress voters in the Harris Interactive Poll and USA Today/coaches' Top 25 poll, two of the three components weighted equally in the BCS formula.

"When you look at what's happening, you're seeing emotional voters," Texas coach Mack Brown said on ESPN's First Take.

"Saturday night, watching Oklahoma play and play so well, emotionally the voters jumped them up some."

As for the transitive property applying to this scenario, Brown's not ready to go there yet.

"I heard Bob's [OU coach Bob Stoops] analogy about who beats who and that kind of stuff," Brown said. "I'm not getting into all that today because we got some work to do on Thursday night."

The final BCS standings will determine the two teams that will play for the BCS National Championship in south Florida on Jan. 8.

Oklahoma moved to the No. 2 spot in the coaches' poll, jumping ahead of Florida and Texas. The Sooners are No. 3 in the Harris poll behind No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Florida.

Texas is No. 4 in both human polls. But thanks to the Longhorns' average ranking in the six computer polls used in the BCS formula, they remain No. 2 in the BCS standings -- a minuscule .084 percentage points ahead of No. 3 Oklahoma.

The Big 12 rivals are so close in the BCS standings that conventional wisdom says the Sooners will jump the Longhorns if both teams win this week. Texas will play at home against Texas A&M on Thanksgiving night (ESPN, 8 p.m. ET). Oklahoma will play at No. 12 Oklahoma State on Saturday night (ABC, 8 p.m. ET).

The Sooners will have the last chance to impress voters, and their strength of schedule will improve if they beat the Cowboys. So a win at Oklahoma State probably would be enough to propel the Sooners ahead of the Longhorns.

It shouldn't happen.

Texas beat the Sooners 45-35 on a neutral field in the Cotton Bowl on Oct. 11. A head-to-head victory should trump any tiebreaker.

And, when weighing each of the three Big 12 teams' respective bodies of work, the Longhorns have the strongest argument for selection:

Losses
Oklahoma: The Sooners twice led the Longhorns by 11 points and had an eight-point lead in the third quarter at the Cotton Bowl. But Texas scored two touchdowns in the game's final 7:37 to win 45-35 in Dallas. The Longhorns beat a No. 1 Oklahoma team for the first time since a 28-7 victory in 1963. It also was the first time the Sooners had lost a regular-season game under Stoops when scoring at least 35 points.

Texas: The No. 1 Longhorns trailed then-No. 7 Texas Tech 19-0 in the first half and 22-6 at the half in Lubbock, Texas, on Nov. 1. The Longhorns rallied and took a 33-32 lead on Vondrell McGee's 4-yard touchdown run with 1:29 to play. But after Texas dropped what would have been a game-clinching interception, the Red Raiders won 39-33 on Graham Harrell's 28-yard touchdown pass to Michael Crabtree with one second left.

Texas Tech: There's no other way to say it: The Red Raiders were embarrassed by Oklahoma on Saturday night. The 65-21 loss was the second-worst defeat ever by a No. 2-ranked team in the Associated Press Top 25 poll. Texas Tech avoided the worst defeat by a No. 2 team when Harrell threw a 27-yard touchdown to Detron Lewis with 11 seconds to play.

Advantage: Texas. (The Sooners lost on a neutral field; Texas lost on the road.)

Victories
Oklahoma: The Sooners have a couple of very impressive nonconference wins. Oklahoma beat Cincinnati 52-26 in Norman on Sept. 6. The Bearcats are 9-2 and one victory away from winning the Big East title. The Sooners also walloped TCU 35-10 in Norman on Sept. 27. The Horned Frogs finished the regular season with a 10-2 record and are No. 14 in the BCS standings.

Texas: Along with beating Oklahoma, Texas hammered Big 12 North champion Missouri 56-31 in Austin, Texas. The Longhorns beat Oklahoma State 28-24 and won at Kansas 35-7.

Texas Tech: Texas Tech beat Nevada 35-19 and SMU 43-7. Along with beating the Longhorns, the Red Raiders crushed Oklahoma State 56-20 and won at Kansas 63-21 in Big 12 play.

Advantage: Texas. (The Sooners would have four very impressive victories if they beat Oklahoma State. But the Longhorns would have the only victory that matters -- a win over the Sooners.)

Strength of schedule
Oklahoma: Two of Oklahoma's 10 victories came against two of the worst teams in college football. The Sooners beat Chattanooga (a 1-11 FCS program) in their Aug. 30 opener and also defeated Washington, which just lost to Washington State to fall to 0-11. Oklahoma didn't play Big 12 North champion Missouri during conference play. The Sooners' 11 opponents have a combined record of 66-58.

Texas: The Longhorns didn't play an FCS opponent and beat UTEP 42-13 on the road. They also beat defending Sun Belt champion Florida Atlantic 52-10 and Rice 52-10. The Owls are 8-3 and are still in contention to play for the Conference USA championship. Texas beat an SEC opponent, Arkansas, 52-10. The Longhorns' 11 opponents have a combined record of 79-54.

Texas Tech: The Red Raiders had no margin for error because they played two FCS opponents, beating Eastern Washington 49-24 and Massachusetts 56-14. Texas Tech's 11 opponents have a combined record of 71-52.

Advantage: Texas. (No FCS opponents were on the schedule, and it played Missouri.)

Oklahoma is the hot team as the regular season comes to an end. But Texas is a better team.

The Longhorns have already proved it on the field.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/onthemark1124

Necks_Fan
11-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by jason
texas tech's one loss was by 44 points @ home to a lower ranked team Wasn't this game in Norman?

JasperDog94
11-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Wasn't this game in Norman? Not unless Tech built a brick wall around the football field in one week and decided to wear maroon last week.;)

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Wasn't this game in Norman?
Yes, it was.

martwayne
11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
i'll make this short and sweet to the point, the BCS is the dumbest way to crown a champion in college football. computers are mainly crowning the champion if u thik about it.

Mustangpride09
11-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Where did you hear this?

It was on ESPN right before the season started. They also said that any undefeated team ranked in the top 12 was guaranteed a BCS bowl, and something like any team that wins the MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, or the 2 other wimpy conferences (cant remember the names) and is ranked in the top 16 and is also undefeated could replace an automatic bid of the BIG 12, BIG 10, PAC 10, SEC, Big East, or ACC if the winner of any of those conferences is ranked lower than the winner of the smaller ones. I dont remember the exact rules, but im sure you could google it.

Txbroadcaster
11-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
It was on ESPN right before the season started. They also said that any undefeated team ranked in the top 12 was guaranteed a BCS bowl, and something like any team that wins the MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, or the 2 other wimpy conferences (cant remember the names) and is ranked in the top 16 and is also undefeated could replace an automatic bid of the BIG 12, BIG 10, PAC 10, SEC, Big East, or ACC if the winner of any of those conferences is ranked lower than the winner of the smaller ones. I dont remember the exact rules, but im sure you could google it.

There is no rule saying that a team cannot play for title if they did not win Conference

Emerson1
11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by martwayne
i'll make this short and sweet to the point, the BCS is the dumbest way to crown a champion in college football. computers are mainly crowning the champion if u thik about it.
The computers aren't the problem, it's the bias humans who don't vote based on the right criteria.

Farmersfan
11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I originally gave the edge to Texas because they beat OU on neutral turf. But then I look at the schedules. Texas only won 3 games on the opponents field this season. They played 7 home games and 5 road games. 1 Road game was on neutral territory in Dallas. They went 3-1 this year on the opponents home field. The wins were against UTEP, Colorado and Kansas. The best one was Colorado who is 6-6 for the season.

Txbroadcaster
11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I originally gave the edge to Texas because they beat OU on neutral turf. But then I look at the schedules. Texas only won 3 games on the opponents field this season. They played 7 home games and 5 road games. 1 Road game was on neutral territory in Dallas. They went 3-1 this year on the opponents home field. The wins were against UTEP, Colorado and Kansas. The best one was Colorado who is 6-6 for the season.

and who has OU beat on the road?

Baylor, K-State and A&M

BreckTxLonghorn
11-26-2008, 02:46 PM
and who has OU beat on the road?

Baylor, K-State and A&M

You forgot Washington.

:devil:

Phil C
11-26-2008, 04:08 PM
The thing we have to remember is that Oklahoma has beaten Texas Tech in Norman. Texas has never beaten Texas Tech in Norman. That carries much weight.

:)

Necks_Fan
11-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Phil..... What are you talking about? Lol.

Gobbla2001
11-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Putting OU ahead of Texas in next week's rankings would 'almost' be like two teams playing in a playoff and the loser getting voted into the next round...

JasperDog94
11-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The thing we have to remember is that Oklahoma has beaten Texas Tech in Norman. Texas has never beaten Texas Tech in Norman. That carries much weight.

:) Phil, you never cease to amaze me. After a long hard day of fishing (with pretty good success) this comment made my wife ask me why i was laughing so hard.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Who-dun-it!!?
11-26-2008, 10:16 PM
The BCS system is a freakin joke.

The Big Twelve is the best confrence in College Football this year. Thats just my opinion. They gotta fix this crap!