PDA

View Full Version : 3ADL Deer Hunting Results 2008

slpybear the bullfan
11-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Okay, everyone post pics here..

I will start us off... here is a pic of an 8 pointer I shot yesterday morning., (11/22). Definitely still in the rut up here in Wise County.

He was a 9 pointer, but had broken off his main tine on the left side sometime this year.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/59/l_831e4927efa14de2b4f65bd3ddbc6bba.jpg

Anyone else?

Necks_Fan
11-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice.

I haven't shot anything yet this year, because I've only been to the lease 3 times, and 1 was to put up new stands and whatnot.

I do have 13 acres to hunt here, but we got some people that have moved in near us and have run off most of the deer. I still have hogs coming in, but way too late for me to hunt them. WELL after dark.

BuffyMars
11-24-2008, 12:41 PM
i don't get offended by much, but when it comes to killing animals..... :(

Necks_Fan
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
i don't get offended by much, but when it comes to killing animals..... :( Wah.:hand:

Do you eat meat at all?

Ya might as well complain about trees and plants too.

People EAT the meat....... they don;t just run around killing as many animals as they can.

Atleast this way it's productive.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Wah.:hand:

Do you eat meat at all?

Ya might as well complain about trees and plants too.

People EAT the meat....... they don;t just run around killing as many animals as they can.

Atleast this way it's productive.

yes she eats meat...as do I...still hate the thought of killing an animal

Necks_Fan
11-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
yes she eats meat...as do I...still hate the thought of killing an animal That even further verifies my point.

It's not as if people are just mass slaughtering the deer and hogs like they do they cows that you eat.

People hunt for several weeks and even months and will MAYBE bag a few at most. Some don;t get anything. And when they do get something, they EAT it. Everyhting about it is productive and cheap. 1 deer would be enough meet for you and her for a several weeks if you ate it right.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
That even further verifies my point.

It's not as if people are just mass slaughtering the deer and hogs like they do they cows that you eat.

People hunt for several weeks and even months and will MAYBE bag a few at most. Some don;t get anything. And when they do get something, they EAT it. Everyhting about it is productive and cheap. 1 deer would be enough meet for you and her for a several weeks if you ate it right.

not sure how it furthers your point..not saying anything wrong with hunting..just hate the thought of animals dying..simple as that..whether being hunted, or hit by a car or dying of disease

I am just an animal person

Necks_Fan
11-24-2008, 03:45 PM
not sure how it furthers your point..not saying anything wrong with hunting..just hate the thought of animals dying..simple as that..whether being hunted, or hit by a car or dying of disease

I am just an animal person Well..... I guess.

Kinda girly. ;)

Trashman
11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I understand......I have hunted deer since I was 8 years old. I get more pleasure sitting in the blind watching them than I ever did killing them. Taught my three oldest daughters how to shoot and hunt. The oldest worked as a hunting guide for several years. I have two daughters still at home, not sure if I will teach them to hunt or not. Guess I'll cross that brige when I get to it.

slpybear the bullfan
11-24-2008, 09:26 PM
*sigh* You know, we could have posted a seperate thread about the + an -'s of hunting... I was really more interested in seeing how hunters were making out this year...

Old Dog
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
I grew amid ranching, farming and hunting. It is very sad indeed how so many people have lost touch with nature in any shape form or fashion, let alone hunting! If you don't care for hunting, that's your business, but don't expect me to agree. It "seems" so many now a days think all of the meats in grocery stores just magically apperar overnight. Stop and think real hard about all the things you enjoy in your daily lifes that are animal products.....

There is a very interesting article in of all things "Sports Illustrated" this week about "how the decline of hunting is changing the natural order of predator and prey". It's worth the read even if you disagree.

One of my favorite stories involves the little city boy visiting his grand parents on their farm. Granny asked the boy if he wanted eggs for breakfast; and he said NO, didn't you see where that thing came from?

Bottom line for me.............don't try to make me feel bad about something I love as much as being out in mother natures grandeur working cattle, plowing and yes even hunting.

Apoligizes to anyone who is insulted by my "soapbox"!

Slybear, to answer your original question, I have not taken anything yet, but 2 nice 8 pointers have been by friends.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Survival of the fittest. If the deer get guns, I wouldn't mind if they shot right back at us.

95mustang
11-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I got a camera out beside my feeder and have multiple pictures of a big 10 point. Been hunting 4 times this year already and he never shows while we are there. :mad: :mad:

44INAROW
11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
I got a camera out beside my feeder and have multiple pictures of a big 10 point. Been hunting 4 times this year already and he never shows while we are there. :mad: :mad:

same thing with Mr44 - he's been noting the times when the buck shows up and I think he's going to "sneak" up on him soon... We got some good pictures of turkeys strutting and eating corn too ;)

slpybear the bullfan
11-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang

Why don't you post a couple? :)

slpybear the bullfan
11-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
same thing with Mr44 - he's been noting the times when the buck shows up and I think he's going to "sneak" up on him soon... We got some good pictures of turkeys strutting and eating corn too ;)

44INAROW
11-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan

ok - here's the problem - he has the pictures printed - he deleted from his game camera. I don't have a scanner but I do at the office but I can't get it to scan in color, it only scans in black and white - I'll try to get it scanned Monday and see what shows up - and by the way - the "big daddy" wild hog that's been rooting up and knocking down the feeder - "died of lead poisoning" on Weds night.. he's no longer a problem.......

Keith7
12-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Why is this a sticky? nobody is posting pictures and a lot of people (I included) think hunting is barbaric, cruel, ridiculous, and senseless..

Keith7
12-04-2008, 04:07 AM
if you guys want people to read the stickies, then make the stickies something worth reading

Bullaholic
12-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Why is this a sticky? nobody is posting pictures and a lot of people (I included) think hunting is barbaric, cruel, ridiculous, and senseless..

Different strokes for different folks, Keith. You live in a state where there are many deer and many hunters----you could always move to Philly and you could help McNabb keep his job and you wouldn't be bothered by barbarism.

pirate4state
12-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Why is this a sticky? nobody is posting pictures and a lot of people (I included) think hunting is barbaric, cruel, ridiculous, and senseless.. Because he is an owner of the board and as such can do what he wants within the rules of the board! GAH!

If you think hunting is barbaric, cruel, ridiculous and senseless DON'T OPEN THE THREAD! It isn't like it's misleading. :rolleyes:

Reds fan
12-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Why complain about something you do not have to read?

Personally, hunting is part of my heritage (mankind's heritage). Hunting and the outdoors has given me some very special time with my family...my grandfather, father, brother and sister and my wife and kids. These are days I would trade nothing for! Hunting has taught us stewardship of the land, biology, ecology and so much more.

Hunting brings serious dollars into small town economies in Texas, it brings jobs and people into places they might not ever go otherwise.

I guess for every positive I thought I have about hunting there will be those with a negative. But one such person had the same anti hunting thoughts once and has come to love hunting as much or maybe more than myself, and that person is my wife! She decided to open her mind, actually learn about it and throw preconceived ideas out the window. I cannot tell you how many times she has said over the years how thrilled she was that she overcame her ignorance!

Keith7
12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Because he is an owner of the board and as such can do what he wants within the rules of the board! GAH!

If you think hunting is barbaric, cruel, ridiculous and senseless DON'T OPEN THE THREAD! It isn't like it's misleading. :rolleyes:

I have donated to this board? does that not make me part owner?

pirate4state
12-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I have donated to this board? does that not make me part owner? no

Necks_Fan
12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Keith, once again showing his brilliance.

If you think hunting is barbaric, just stop eating meat all together.

Personally, I think a slaughter house is a bit more barbaric and cruel than hunting. JMO.

LHexPlayer
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Because he is an owner of the board and as such can do what he wants within the rules of the board! GAH!

Agree 100%. I'm not a hunter myself. I just wasn't raised to be one. But I have no problem with people keeping their tradition of hunting. I too am interested in seeing more pics people. I guess we have some real crappy hunters on this board.:D

Gobbla2001
12-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Man I still haven't gone hunting this year... just haven't had the time... fired my 270 for the first time in three years two weekends ago... was gunna sight it in but it was within and inch still, same spot on the target I had it at three years ago :D

BUTTT, interesting deer story...

In october we were dove huntin'... I was out in about a 4-6 acre field with 2-3 ft tall grass making my rounds back to my buddy's house... him and another friend were at the back of his house looking real hard behind me to my right... they pointed, just then I saw something out of the corner of my eye and turned around, gun ready because I thought some dove may have been flying low... Nope... a real nice 9 pointer was haulin' but across the field... we were 15 yards apart and he stopped and we stared at each other for about 5 seconds... then he scooted off into a corn-field... awesome site to see... glad he didn't see me as a threat or I'da had to 12-guage him in his purdy little head...

We've thrown corn out there but really haven't seen any signs of deer around the corn...

Gobbla2001
12-06-2008, 10:05 AM
And Buffy, TxB... I'm an animal lover as well... used to hate the thought of animals dying (and still do)... but it was always culture for my family... go huntin', sit in a blind, come back and tell stories about the shot you missed, the one you thought you may have heard in the brush etc... there's just a bond there...

but yah, I know what you guys mean, and I understand y'all weren't anti-hunter posting...

I remember one year going out to my uncle's back 40... he told me if I saw a spike to take a spike out... also gave me a bag of corn to put on the back of the four-wheeler so I could sift it out driving to the stand...

I sat there for about an hour and a half and watched 20-25 deer just run around... some would eat the corn I put out, some would chomp on oats... there were two little four-pointers and yup, two spikes in that group (Actually three different groups... one came from the river, one from my right and one from my left)... just couldn't fire because I felt like watching 'em that day... love me some nature...

RedWhiteBlue
12-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I think a lot of the things you say are ridiculous and senseless, but you still get to post it and I ignore them. I agree if you don't like to hunt or reading about hunting- then don't read the stinking thread......
My brother is a guide at a ranch out south of Sweetwater. I grew up with hunting, fishing, etc. Unfortunately, this is a busy time of year. I would sure love some deer meat to put in the freezer, though.:(

sinton66
12-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Here's a picture for ya.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7002/deerbutpv7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Some doorbell, huh?:D

gobbler grad
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
well, got me aleast 10 pointer, pretty big spread...this was a very big deer...didn't get a good visual, since I was doing 60 mph and it happened so fast when I took him out...on the way home from RoundRock Sat. about 8 miles south of Gonzales...hit him dead center of my chevy equiniox(sp) and my wife went hystrics...he went airborn about 10' in the air and then travelled another 30'-40' down the road landing in the other lane...waiting for lots of traffic to pass so I could see how big he was and get him out of the road before someone else would hit him...well too late...truck heading toward Gonzales ran over him again and horns went everywhere...all you could hear was broken deer horns being scattered all over the highway...by then, my wife was kinda laughing...finally pulled him off road as hundreds(not really) of Cuero fans passed and never slowed down(thanks fans)...my wife called her sister, which was in front off us and theycame back and they took the deer home and gave it to somebody...not a horn left on that deer...completely ripped them off...as for my vehicle, broke the plastic chevy emblem and messed up the hood...very lucky, no broken headlights and air bags did not deploy...wonder how much more force would it take for them to go off...:thinking:

44INAROW
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
wow GG _ so glad you'll weren't hurt.

Necks_Fan
12-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow. Yea, good thing y'all were alright.

Me and my grandma hit a doe going 75 in a Ford Explorer and it destroyed everything.

We had to put in a whole new grill, air intake system, replace, lights, hood, bumper, the whole nine yards.

RedWhiteBlue
12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I have hit 2 deer while driving. One between Brownwood and Comanche and the other in Mulberry Canyon in Nolan County. Both times people yelled at me for not picking the deer up..... I always had visions of 'Tommy Boy' and the thing just being stunned and then being really ready to get out of my car!!!!:eek: :eek:

44INAROW
12-09-2008, 12:06 AM
we are some really good chicken fried deer steaks tonight - Florida deer Mr44 shot in early November - it was good but Texas deer seem to taste better to me :p

lakers
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Alright since nobody has posted any pics, I will post the last buck I shot 2 years ago... I know it was "2 years ago" but it is better then reading what you guys post, instead of posting pics...

Me on left- 9pt. scored 143 b.c. My brother on right 9pt. scored 132 I think...
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z214/jmakers/scan0001.jpg

slpybear the bullfan
12-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Nice pic. Looks like some pretty decent mass on those antlers on the left.

Reds fan
12-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I have hit 2 deer while driving. One between Brownwood and Comanche and the other in Mulberry Canyon in Nolan County. Both times people yelled at me for not picking the deer up..... I always had visions of 'Tommy Boy' and the thing just being stunned and then being really ready to get out of my car!!!!:eek: :eek:

LOL at "Tommy Boy" scene...as for picking up the deer you did right, it is illegal to retain or posess any part of a deer that was not killed by legal means, moving it out the road is OK and the right thing to do. Folks do pick up road kill a lot or parts thereof, especially when you see bucks that were hit by a vehicle laying in the bar ditch with their heads removed, but they are taking a risk. Not a real good image for the non hunting public to see either.

Gobbla2001
12-15-2008, 06:19 PM
damn gg, don't get out any names, taking 'em home is no bueno to the game warden...

that same night we saw a deer... in austin... in a freaking parking lot... musta been eaten some french-frieds someone threw outta their car or something...

and the tommy boy comment... that's funny... we dodged a few the other night and all I could think of was the prank 911 call... "I was driving down the road minding my own @#$# business, an a deer ran out and hit my car... I put him in the car cuz I thought he was dead... so I'm driving down the road minding my own @#$#$ business and the deer wakes up and bit me in the back of my @#$@#$ neck"

Orange Defense
12-17-2008, 03:13 PM

I am just an animal person

TXbcaster
I understand your soft hearted and that's not a bad thing. I don't want any animal to suffer either. Think of it like this the Good Lord put the animals (Deer, Hogs, Cows, Birds, etc...)for us to eat. If we didn't try and keep the animal population in check they would starve to death so it is far more humane to go and kill them and we get the benefit of there wonderful tasting meat.

44INAROW
12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
I fried some delicious back strap tonight - along with mashed potatoes and peas...... yummy......... ;) have a few shoulder steaks tenderized and packaged for later use and the rest in the freezer for sausage making in Feb.

Orange Defense
12-31-2008, 02:38 PM
I ended up taking 2 does and an inferior mature buck. I have never seen anything like this buck before in my life. This buck was at least five years old and had 2 inch spikes. The body on this buck was huge! He sure will make good sausage and jerky!!! I also filled my kids freezers.

I never saw a mature Trophy all season. Maybe next year...

STANG RED
01-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm doing my deer hunting the easy way this year. My nephew is going to hunt it, tag it, and take it to get it processed for me (Im paying of course). I get all the meat, and he gets the hide, head and horns (which I couldnt care less about). All I want is meat in the freezer. He already has a freezer full.
All I'm getting is the premium cuts into steaks, and all the rest into jerky and smoked sausages. MMMMMmmmmmmm I can hardly wait.:D

44INAROW
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/LostAussieWifeDeerJan2009.jpg

Buck shot by Lost Aussie's wife at Quanah, Texas - Scored a 144 :clap:

sotex
01-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I've taken a spike and a fallow buck. Haven't seen any wall material. The sausage has been great now I'm waiting for a good long cold snap to hang some jerky.

slpybear the bullfan
01-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/LostAussieWifeDeerJan2009.jpg

Buck shot by Lost Aussie's wife at Quanah, Texas - Scored a 144 :clap:

Nice One... tell the Mrs that she done good.

After you cleaned it did you stop at Medicine Mound Depot to eat?

lostaussie
01-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Nice One... tell the Mrs that she done good.

After you cleaned it did you stop at Medicine Mound Depot to eat? i am a regular at the medicine mound depot. that is a great place to eat and have a cool refreshing adult beverage:D