PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW: Prosper (11-1) vs. Van (10-1)

charlesrixey
11-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Van was surpisingly good in taking down pittsburg, while Prosper has been humming along so far

if van puts together another game like they just had, the Eagles will be in trouble.

Prosper has never been 4 rounds into the playoffs and Van hasn't done it since 1979

one of them will break the streak, but which?

OrangeChamps
11-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Well Rixey it will be interesting to see if/when Prosper faces good competition, will they rise up and play to a level not common to them or will they fold like in years past? Van's win over favored Pittsburg does seem impressive, but are either of those teams up to the caliber of District 9?

I'm going to say Prosper keeps rolling until next week. Then they will be done.

Prosper 28
Van 14

Bullaholic
11-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by OrangeChamps
Well Rixey it will be interesting to see if/when Prosper faces good competition, will they rise up and play to a level not common to them or will they fold like in years past? Van's win over favored Pittsburg does seem impressive, but are either of those teams up to the caliber of District 9?

I'm going to say Prosper keeps rolling until next week. Then they will be done.

Prosper 28
Van 14

Didn't they dominate one pretty good team that is still in the playoffs earlier in the regular season? :D

I_DONT_CARE
11-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Didn't they dominate one pretty good team that is still in the playoffs earlier in the regular season? :D
APPARENTLY THAT DOMINATION WAS NOT AGAINST GOOD COMPETITION. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OrangeChamps
11-23-2008, 06:27 PM
That night about 5 weeks ago was not against good competition.

orange machine
11-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by OrangeChamps
That night about 5 weeks ago was not against good competition.

I will agree with that. Things would be different now, but that doesnt matter we are playing for a title not what ifing the past.

icu812
11-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Van is also 11-1 not 10-1. We did not have a bye unless your calling Lovejoy a bye :)

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 12:21 AM
We are tying to get this as a 3DL/dfwhssports.com Game to broadcast this week

icu812
11-24-2008, 12:50 AM
What this Van team is doing has surprised me. Van's defense is really playing well and our offense just seems to take advantage of what is given to them. Before the season even started I was shocked to hear our 2nd and 3rd best players were not playing due to an injury and a off the field problem. Then our BEST player who plays both ways blew out his acl in the first game of district. Yet this team just keeps finding a way to win. So many players have stepped up. It has been such a pleasant surprise to see the kids come together. Great job also by our coaching staff. No matter what happens against Prosper I'm proud of what this team has accomplished. If Van plays defense like they have the past 2 games they will be in position to win the game.

I'd like to give the downlow patrons a little more info about individual players for Van but it's hard to single any one player out and say they are why Van is winning (unlike last year when Jermie Calhoun was all everything). However, I will say on offense Van's Jr. QB is accurate and is a good runner (although not overaly fast). We have 2 good RB's (a jr. and a sophmore) one has good speed and the other is a bull. The line is not huge but has decent size and has done a good job. Receivers are avg but they can catch. They run the spread and the "I" it depends on the defense. Van has traditionally been a Power I team (since Van won a state championship in 1979 with it they have stuck with it for almost 30 yrs....lol) but ran the spread for the most part this year.

Defensively we have I believe 3 players with over 10 sacks. Our D-line is quick but smallish. One of Van's LB #17 is like 5'7" but makes plays all over the field, he's a handful (reminds me alot of the kid from Celina the past few years). On D Van stacks the los against some teams and rushed 2 against others. Depends on the gameplan I guess. Anyway they are getting it done so far.

Sorry so wordy but Van hasn't been this far in a while.

Go Vandals!!

LH Panther Mom
11-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Good info on your team, icu812! Thanks! :)

BILLYFRED0000
11-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by icu812
What this Van team is doing has surprised me. Van's defense is really playing well and our offense just seems to take advantage of what is given to them. Before the season even started I was shocked to hear our 2nd and 3rd best players were not playing due to an injury and a off the field problem. Then our BEST player who plays both ways blew out his acl in the first game of district. Yet this team just keeps finding a way to win. So many players have stepped up. It has been such a pleasant surprise to see the kids come together. Great job also by our coaching staff. No matter what happens against Prosper I'm proud of what this team has accomplished. If Van plays defense like they have the past 2 games they will be in position to win the game.

I'd like to give the downlow patrons a little more info about individual players for Van but it's hard to single any one player out and say they are why Van is winning (unlike last year when Jermie Calhoun was all everything). However, I will say on offense Van's Jr. QB is accurate and is a good runner (although not overaly fast). We have 2 good RB's (a jr. and a sophmore) one has good speed and the other is a bull. The line is not huge but has decent size and has done a good job. Receivers are avg but they can catch. They run the spread and the "I" it depends on the defense. Van has traditionally been a Power I team (since Van won a state championship in 1979 with it they have stuck with it for almost 30 yrs....lol) but ran the spread for the most part this year.

Defensively we have I believe 3 players with over 10 sacks. Our D-line is quick but smallish. One of Van's LB #17 is like 5'7" but makes plays all over the field, he's a handful (reminds me alot of the kid from Celina the past few years). On D Van stacks the los against some teams and rushed 2 against others. Depends on the gameplan I guess. Anyway they are getting it done so far.

Sorry so wordy but Van hasn't been this far in a while.

Go Vandals!!

Yes this is definetely a very good TEAM. They play well together. If Hunter and his boys play their A game they should win. They have very good lines. But consistency is their problem. They do not prepare every week like they do for Celina every year. They should learn that playing us should not be their super bowl. IMHO they have not played well since beating us.

Txbroadcaster
11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by icu812

The line is not huge but has decent size and has done a good job. .

IMO this is one of main reasons Van has improved on offense even though they lost such a stud RB...Last year the O-Line at times was down right terrible

icu812
11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO this is one of main reasons Van has improved on offense even though they lost such a stud RB...Last year the O-Line at times was down right terrible

Yeah your right about that. Makes me wonder where these guys were last year as most are seniors.

Prosper and Van have no common opponents but......

Prosper beat North Lamar 28-7
Pleasant Grove beat North Lamar 37-27
Pitt beat Pleasant Grove 26-22
Van beat Pitt 35-14

Doesn't mean anything other than it shouldn't be a blow out.

CHS_89
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Prosper has a few weapons. Nix can hurt you on the run, as well as, Monroe. Their D is pretty solid. I haven't seen they play since they beat us, but on that nite they were unbeatable in my op! So they can play lights out, it just hasn't happened since the Celina game. I think Prosper wins this week then it gets hairy for them.

RPF2666
11-25-2008, 09:08 AM
I spoke to a coach (not football) from Prosper yesterday. He said that Prosper played their best game in years against Celina (AGREED) and hasn't come close to that level since (DITTO).

If they can find a way to play with the ungency they showed on that October night, Prosper can beat anyone in the state.

Budman007
11-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by RPF2666
I spoke to a coach (not football) from Prosper yesterday. He said that Prosper played their best game in years against Celina (AGREED) and hasn't come close to that level since (DITTO).

If they can find a way to play with the ungency they showed on that October night, Prosper can beat anyone in the state.

Naw, Prosper played their best game against Bridgeport and it still was'nt quite enough. Just kiddin. Prosper is a very good team and I still maintain Hunter Nix was the best QB our Bulls went up against all year. Prosper rolls!