:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Quit it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Happy Thanksgiving! wimbo_pro!!!!!!!!!!

OK..Ok...Happy Turkey Day to all!!

BwdLion_80
11-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Bleachers in the back of the endzone like the Permian game last year? :thinking:

Probably no bleachers or sitting, but a different view from the end zone. Plus, no assumed affiliation from sitting on one side or the other.

LH Panther Mom
11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks RM........you know with all the LHPM bell stories I would have to sit at least 2 down from her, Heh Heh! :D
I'm fully able to adjust to my surroundings and try to ooch over for those to my right. :D Of course, I have been known to bean myself occasionally. :doh:

DaHop72
11-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm fully able to adjust to my surroundings and try to ooch over for those to my right. :D Of course, I have been known to bean myself occasionally. :doh: Addict, voice of experience two rows above not two rows below. :thumbsup:

Phantom Stang
11-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
You have been keeping up.:clap: And that Celina/Snyder lover child keeps getting bigger, stronger and more beautiful everyday. I’m beaming with pride. You have been keeping up. And that Celina/Snyder lover child keeps getting bigger, stronger and more beautiful everyday. I’m beaming with pride. :inlove:
Sorry, you'll have to speak up.

How's that love child doing?:D

catdaddy
11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by mustang68
First welcome to the Downlow always nice to have new voices and thoughts on the site

Should leave it alone; but if you know me, you know that's impossible.

Arrogant adj. (ME & OFr) self importance; overbearing; haughty

"really don't think Sweetwater has a prayer stopping LH."

"they were hit so hard, so many times, several of them layed on the ground for extended amounts of time... they didn't want to line back up against LH."

"Have another one of what ever your drinking for me! That was one of the Dumbest comments I have seen on here and believe me there have been a lot of dumb ones!"

"ummmm......NO! You ain't seen nothing like us before....on or off the field!"

"Well, you know what they say...."When you got it, FLAUNT it."

2. Unless I have forgotten how to read no where has anyone (on this thread) said anything about the quality of play by LH, and saying anything about them being lucky. Lh is a quality team with a terrific record. IMHO luck has more to do with being able to stay healty throughout the season.

3.God's chosen, maybe. Here again, those are your words not ours. We do however live in God's country, thanks for noticing.

4.LH= Love Child - You have about four years of reading and catching up to fully understand this one

5. Dilusional couldn't find definition
If you meant Delusional adj. (ME) false belief or opinion then I guess I am guilty, but how you could ascertain this from my posts is puzzeling.
Let me explain for you why I am delusional.

I have been around MUSTANG football and Sweetwater for 55 years (that I remember). I followed an agonizing and exillerating season in '57 as well as the spectacular season in '85, not to mention being in the playoffs since 1927 with 44 wins in the playoffs along the way.
Along the way we have faced every storied team in the State of Texas, from Amarillo to Abilene to Breckenridge to Brownwood, ad the list goes on. Go read football history and tell me ""ummmm......NO! You ain't seen nothing like us before....on or off the field!"
We will enter this game in our 99th season playing our 1000th game with a team picked to finish 5th in arguably the toughest district in 3A. Many people (being realistic) around here saw a 5-5 season in our future when these boys started playing in August. Only one small problem, we failed to factor in the hearts of these young men and the tradition which they have renewed for us.
I know these young men personally and have watched them play week after week with no arrogance or swagger, which normally accompanies winning. I have watched them play hurt and undergunned all season. They are a group of no names, no D-1's, playing together as a team that stretches back 99 years and 999 games. One of our young men is a 4th generation MUSTANG.
I fully understand the difference between arrogance and pride in a program. LH should be proud of their 6 winning seasons, and their past two championships, and possibly a third.

(Now here comes the part where I should just keep my mouth shut, and if you will notice I have been on the Downlow since 2003 and this will be my 400th odd post, and normally do.)

NO never mind I will remain above the frey. I will treat you (some and only some of the posters for LH) as if you do not exist in my (dilusional, sic.) universe.
To the players of LH
Best of luck, stay healthy,and may you remember with pride what you have accomplished. Leave it all on the field because win, lose, or draw it is all too fleeting, but years from now, God willing, you can return to your alma mater holding your head high as a more productive person because of the lessons learned.

Good luck (my definition) to both teams

Awesome post! Best wishes to Sweetwater fans on a safe trip and may all the players return home as healthy as they came. Maybe if I didn't have two kids dressed I would talk smack but they have enough pressure without me spouting off.
Can we just say "may the best team win"? See yall at the pole (or scoreboard)

mustang68
11-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by catdaddy
Awesome post! Best wishes to Sweetwater fans on a safe trip and may all the players return home as healthy as they came. Maybe if I didn't have two kids dressed I would talk smack but they have enough pressure without me spouting off.
Can we just say "may the best team win"? See yall at the pole (or scoreboard)

Thanks, and best wishes to Liberty Hill fans on a safe trip and may all the players return home as healthy as they came.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

K-MAC Chuck
11-26-2008, 11:44 PM
For the 2.5 cents it's worth...

Wishes for a warm, safe, Happy Thanksgiving to all!

2008 Liberty Hill Panthers
Regular Season
08/29/2008 @ Giddings 28-26
09/05/2008 @ Abilene Wylie 28-25
09/11/2008 @ Manor 49-7
09/19/2008 Brownwood 56-49
09/26/2008 +@ Fredericksburg 38-0
10/03/2008 +Burnet 36-29
10/10/2008 +@ Ingram Moore 64-0
10/17/2008 +Canyon Lake 56-0
10/24/2008 +@ Wimberley 49-21
11/07/2008 +Llano 28-17
Class 3A, Division II playoffs
11/14/2008 West 27-0 (bi-district playoffs, at Temple)
11/22/2008 Vernon 31-7 (area playoffs, at Mineral Wells)
11/29/2008 Sweetwater (regional playoffs, at Brownwood)

+-denotes District 8-3A contest

Headline: Mustangs ‘respect’ Panthers; Sweetwater boasts solid rushing offense

By Chuck Licata
Independent Sports Editor

Sweetwater’s eighth-year head coach Kent Jackson knows the score.
He also hopes his team will score – more points, that is – than the Liberty Hill Panthers when Jackson’s Mustangs hook up with Jerry Vance’s Panthers Saturday night at Brownwood in a Class 3A, Division II Region I final playoff game.
“Liberty Hill’s reputation speaks for itself,” Jackson stated from his office in Sweetwater. “Besides that, our kids have heard about Liberty Hill as they played two teams (Abilene Wylie and Brownwood) from our district (2-3A). Those games were really good games and our games with those two teams were great games, so we expect a great game out there on Saturday night.”
Like most high school football coaches, Jackson shrugged off the “short week” of Thanksgiving and said he and his team are happy to still be working (and playing).
“We all hope to be playing at Thanksgiving time,” Jackson remarked. “Obviously, you’re doing something right if you’re still practicing on Thanksgiving.”
He added, “And anytime you can step on field with the defending state champs, you’ve obviously done something right. Our kids have come together and played hard, this is a group bound and determined to overachieve. We were picked by the media to finish fifth in our district; we’re not supposed to still be playing. The kids have stepped up and exceeded the challenge each and every week.”
The Mustangs, who won their only state championship in football in 1985 as a Class 4A squad (they lost in the 1957 3A state finals), are a lot like the Panthers; they’re a run-first team that likes to use its ball-control offense to keep the opposing offense standing on the sidelines. Quarterback Zach Birdwell is joined in the Mustangs’ backfield by running backs Daniel Jackson, Steven Fields and A.J. McCoy as well as fullback Rufus McCann, among others.
“The team that runs ball control the best will win (Saturday’s) game,” Jackson revealed. “Three-and-outs and punts will be an important (stat) on Saturday. The team that gives the other offense the most opportunity will probably have the upper hand. Thus we have to keep their offense off the field.”
As their last 36 opponents have found out, the Panthers’ offense is hard to keep off the field. And when they’re on the field, they’re hard to stop.
The Panthers have two 1,200-yard rushers – Ryan Fickel (1,288 yards and 15 TDs on 211 carries) and Dusty Boyd (1,214 yards and 11 touchdowns on 176 carries). Also featured in the LHHS rushing game: Matt McCain (755 yards, eight TDs), Cody Lattimore (377 yards, five scores); Tyler Lawhorn (310 yards, seven TDs); and, quarterback Braden Fickel (201 rushing yards, four touchdowns).
As mentioned, the Mustangs can also run the ball. Jackson has rushed for 1,357 yards and 11 touchdowns on 199 carries. Other contributors include Fields (806 yards and seven TDs), McCann (469 yards and six TDs), Birdwell (448 yards and six touchdowns) and McCoy (404 yards and four scores).
The two teams are almost equal in passing stats, as both quarterbacks have less than 20 completions. Birdwell is 12-of-40 for 151 yards with one TD and one interception; as a team, the Mustangs have completed 16-of-51 passes for two touchdowns but three interceptions.
Fickel, meantime, has completed 14 passes in 26 attempts for 360 yards and three (important) touchdowns, along with just one interception.
The Mustangs’ defense has made 11 interceptions, led by Fields with four. Meantime, the Panthers have pirated 10 passes, led by Ryan Cox’s four picks.
Sweetwater’s defense has forced 29 fumbles, recovering 13; Liberty Hill’s defense has forced 17 fumbles, recovering 10 of them. Sweetwater is plus-3 in the takeaway/giveaway category (24 takeaways, 21 giveaways) while LHHS is plus-6 in the same category.
No matter what the “stats,” Jackson said there’s one determining factor in this game – the same that exists on every football field across America.
“Mistakes,” Jackson said. “Mistakes are a big part of any game. Neither one of us can turn the ball over, that will hurt our efforts.
“There’s 16 teams left (in Division II playoffs). They’re all great teams and the teams that will advance will be the teams that don’t make mistakes. That’s football, whether high school football on Friday, Pop Warner football on Saturday or NFL football on Sundays.”

Looking4number8
11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by catdaddy
See yall at the pole (or scoreboard)

Actually the meet and greet is under the jumbo-tron which on the other end of the stadium from the scoreboard and pole.

Speaking of Jumbo-tron, the home team (LH) elects to use or not to use the replay baord for a small (and it truly is small) fee. LH elected not to use the replay board.

Therefore the M&G is under the big black screen thingy with two big metal sticks holding it up in the end zone

ccmom
11-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Actually the meet and greet is under the jumbo-tron which on the other end of the stadium from the scoreboard and pole.

Speaking of Jumbo-tron, the home team (LH) elects to use or not to use the replay baord for a small (and it truly is small) fee. LH elected not to use the replay board.

Therefore the M&G is under the big black screen thingy with two big metal sticks holding it up in the end zone

I guess you really do learn something new everyday?:confused:

I suppose I never knew that if a field had a replay screen available, you could opt out of using it. Interesting.... :thinking:
Do alot of teams make that choice? Just curious....

LH Panther Mom
11-27-2008, 10:11 AM

So by the run-through tunnel thingy?

Looking4number8
11-27-2008, 10:16 AM

yep.

garciap77
11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
SW RED CHECK YOUR PMs!

Looking4number8
11-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
I guess you really do learn something new everyday?:confused:

I suppose I never knew that if a field had a replay screen available, you could opt out of using it. Interesting.... :thinking:
Do alot of teams make that choice? Just curious....

Most use it in the playoffs... and even the nuetral regular season games that are played here, like I said before, it is not expensive. There is a private school game here Friday between Midland Chr. & TCA-Cedar Hill and they are using it.

Actually, this is the first game I remember that it was opted not to use it.

There is a class at the high school and those kids and the teacher run the screen and cameras. It is pretty cool for them. My child is in the class but because she is a cheerleader she only gets to work non-Brownwood games.

ccmom
11-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Most use it in the playoffs... and even the nuetral regular season games that are played here, like I said before, it is not expensive. There is a private school game here Friday between Midland Chr. & TCA-Cedar Hill and they are using it.

Actually, this is the first game I remember that it was opted not to use it.

There is a class at the high school and those kids and the teacher run the screen and cameras. It is pretty cool for them. My child is in the class but because she is a cheerleader she only gets to work non-Brownwood games. Interesting....thanks for the info.:)

Keystonepride
11-27-2008, 11:36 AM

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A TUNNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K-MAC Chuck
11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Keystonepride
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A TUNNEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Lord..PLEASE don't get him started on a tunnel!!
:eek: :helpme:

LH Panther Mom
11-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
Oh Lord..PLEASE don't get him started on a tunnel!!
:eek: :helpme:
LMAO! This one isn't just your regular old tunnel. :cool:

Looking4number8
11-27-2008, 12:29 PM
LMAO! This one isn't just your regular old tunnel. :cool:

Somebody wake Beast up, I am sure he has a good picture of it.

It more of a covered walkway with a really nice gate and smoke of course.... But..... I dont think anybody can use this walkway except the Brownwood varsity. Even the local college goes around it.

garciap77
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Somebody wake Beast up, I am sure he has a good picture of it.

It more of a covered walkway with a really nice gate and smoke of course.... But..... I dont think anybody can use this walkway except the Brownwood varsity. Even the local college goes around it.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_8203-2.jpg

:D

wimbo_pro
11-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/DSC_8203-2.jpg

Is that Brownwood's season burning up in that smokehouse?

garciap77
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Is that Brownwood's season burning up in that smokehouse?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/smiley_guy_sticking_out_tongue_lg_c.gif

:p

Bubba-Joe
11-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Oh no, that score does sound familiar, but I heard that they are working hard on kicking extra points.

yeah but they are still working on FOOTBALL unlike the snider tiggers
how that gym seating?????

thump thump
thump thump

snider basketball, best basketball team that aint still playin football this time of year...............

Who-dun-it!!?
11-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
yeah but they are still working on FOOTBALL unlike the snider tiggers
how that gym seating?????

thump thump
thump thump

snider basketball, best basketball team that aint still playin football this time of year...............

We have basketball in Snyder??:confused:

Looking4number8
11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
just wanted to get this back on the front page

Keystonepride
11-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Winner gets The Bulls of B-port

Super_R
11-29-2008, 08:26 AM
10 hours and 4 minutes till game time!!!

Come on with the come on!!!

Blue 200!!!

Lion_Addict
11-29-2008, 09:56 AM
All of yawl have a safe trip in. See ya there.....looking forward to a great game!! :thumbsup:

Looking4number8
11-29-2008, 10:19 AM
All of yawl have a safe trip in. See ya there.....looking forward to a great game!! :thumbsup:
:ditto:

Come on
11-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Keystonepride
Winner gets The Bulls of B-port

Looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solocam
11-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Leaving at 1:30, we are eating at Chili's in Brownwood

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by solocam

Leaving at 1:15, eating at Humphrey P's(??) if we can find it.:doh: :D

jmcgee
11-29-2008, 01:50 PM
21- 17 sweetwater with the upset

STANG RED
11-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'm not worried about our D stepping up, I know they will. I'm much more concerned about our extremely predictable and vanilla offense going 3 and out too many times and putting our D on the field way too much. It is obvious that an effective passing game is the only way to beat LH, and we simply do not have one at all. And I dont mean we have to have a spread that throws for 300+. Im just talking about an effective passing game that can keep the LH defense honest, and not be able to stack the line of scrimmage to stop the run, like all teams who beat us do.
Just a few short, well executed play action passes is all it takes to make a defense take a step back and play honest. Problem is, you cant just turn that switch on when you need it. Its something that has to be worked on all season in game situations, even if your not really needing it at the time. We needed it against Wylie, didnt have it, and got beat. Will we have it when we need it this week? :(

Well the answer was a resounding NO. And guess what,,,,,,,we got beat again just like every year. Will they ever learn? Not likely!

Our defense did one helluva great job for as long as they could, but as usual our overly predictable ultra conservative offense had way too many 3 and outs, which kept the defense on the field way too much, and they simply wore down. Not the kids fault though. They played there hearts out and gave it all they could under the circumstances. It's just a shame they are never given enough tools to get the job done, against the really good teams.

Congrats to the LH Panthers though! Your a great team, and very well coached. At least your coaches understand what it takes to win the big games, and prepares you very well to do so. Enjoy it while you have it. It wont last forever.

And congrats to the Sweetwater Mustang players on such a great year. You exceeded most everyone's expectations by a long shot. Thanks for the wonderful entertainment you provided us fans all season. We know you did the best you could do. I'm just sorry you did'nt have a real oppertunity to do more.

Bullaholic
11-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Well the answer was a resounding NO. And guess what,,,,,,,we got beat again just like every year. Will they ever learn? Not likely!

Our defense did one helluva great job for as long as they could, but as usual our overly predictable ultra conservative offense had way too many 3 and outs, which kept the defense on the field way too much, and they simply wore down. Not the kids fault though. They played there hearts out and gave it all they could under the circumstances. It's just a shame they are never given enough tools to get the job done, against the really good teams.

Congrats to the LH Panthers though! Your a great team, and very well coached. At least your coaches understand what it takes to win the big games, and prepares you very well to do so. Enjoy it while you have it. It wont last forever.

And congrats to the Sweetwater Mustang players on such a great year. You exceeded most everyone's expectations by a long shot. Thanks for the wonderful entertainment you provided us fans all season. We know you did the best you could do. I'm just sorry you did'nt have a real oppertunity to do more.

Red...I never did tell you Sweetwater folks congrats for another great season. I know you are disappointed that your season ended a little early, and I am sorry that the Bulls never got another shot at the Mustangs, who we have never beaten, but we do get the chance to go against No. 1 in Liberty Hill to see if we have what it takes to go all the way. Sure nice to see all you Sweetwater fans at the Monahans game---Best of Luck to all of you for more success.

wildstangs
11-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Congrats to Jackson, his coaches, and his players. Nobody thought this team would even make the playoffs, much less make it three rounds deep.

Again, Jackson continues to win games and make the playoffs. If he thinks Sweetwater needs to pass the ball to be a better team, then I am sure he will do it. If he continues to win 8-11 games a year with his "vanilla offense" then don't look for him to change.

Some people don't understand just how hard it is to win games and how much of an accomplishment it is to be a consistent winner. There are plenty of colleges and universities around that can help these people get teaching certificates so that they can be the one questioned about what they are doing. Which in Sweetwater's case is WINNING.

K-MAC Chuck
11-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by solocam

How was the food, Solo? Dan P. told me there were a LOT of Sweetwater people there. :D

GetRDoneStangs
11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
How was the food, Solo? Dan P. told me there were a LOT of Sweetwater people there. :D

I think the eating places did not get the memo....

HUGE PLAYOFF in town...*-10 thousand.....fans to arrive......"

They where not ready for the crowds at the place we ate ??????.....Brownwood was swamped with people from SW and LH.....just try and go get a bite before the game.......

It may have been all the folks hitting town at the sanm time.....

But all said and done..........

we had a good meal and made it to the stadium on time....sort of!!!:D

Ranger Mom
11-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
I think the eating places did not get the memo....

HUGE PLAYOFF in town...*-10 thousand.....fans to arrive......"

They where not ready for the crowds at the place we ate ??????.....Brownwood was swamped with people from SW and LH.....just try and go get a bite before the game.......

It may have been all the folks hitting town at the sanm time.....

But all said and done..........

we had a good meal and made it to the stadium on time....sort of!!!:D

We actually got served pretty quickly, it started clearing out around when y'all left! Heck, we even made a run to Walmart for gloves and stuff (that we didn't even need) after we left!