11-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Cuero routs Sealy
Gobblers' Arndt shows he can run
Photo 1 of 2Click to enlargeClick to view more

Click to view more
advertising
BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
November 22, 2008 - 11:18 a.m.
EL CAMPO - Tyler Arndt has had a number of chances to display his arm strength, but he finally got the opportunity to show off his legs.

Arndt ran for two touchdowns and threw for three more to lead Cuero to a 56-24 Class 3A, Division I regional victory over Sealy on Friday night at Ricebird Stadium.

Arndt scored on runs of 81 and 45 yards and threw touchdown passes of 33 and 23 yards to Robert Armstrong and 64 yards to Chance Harryman as the Gobblers improved to 9-1 and moved into the quarterfinals against La Feria, a 31-14 winner over Bandera on Thursday night.

The quarterfinal game will be played at Buccaneer Stadium in Corpus Christi either Friday or Saturday.

Arndt carried eight times for a net of 105 yards, and completed 10 of his 17 passes for 206 yards as Cuero rolled up 519 yards of total offense.

"Coach (Mark) Reeve told me early in the week that I was going to have a good game rushing against them and I guess he was right and it paid off," Arndt said.

Arndt's most important run came after Sealy running back Dexter Downey had run 42 yards for a touchdown to help the Tigers (7-5) cut a 21-0 deficit to 21-17 with 3:19 left in the second quarter.

But on the next play from scrimmage, Arndt took the snap in the shotgun at the Cuero 19 and ran around the right side, eluded potential tacklers and raced down the sideline to the end zone.

"When Tyler was a young kid, that's all we did is run him," Reeve said. "He can run there's no question. We knew we were going to have to run him this ballgame and that was the plan going in."

Arndt helped the Gobblers pad their lead to 35-17 before halftime when he threw a perfect strike to Armstrong in the back of the end zone from the Sealy 23 with 13 seconds remaining.

"We used most of the field," Arndt said. "They plugged the holes in early real quick inside and we spread them out and were able to get outside and use our speed a lot."

Downey displayed his speed and moves by carrying 32 times for 226 yards and also scoring on runs of 42 and 1 yard. Downey had 19 carries for 188 yards in the first half, but had only one run for more than 10 yards in the second half.

"The two times that he broke it we just didn't get lined up right," Reeve said. "I've got to give a lot of credit to (linebacker) Jake Rangnow, boy he does a great job of getting our defense called and lined up. You've got to give them some credit. He's a great running back, they really stay on you and they've got a lot of speed."

Cuero forced four turnovers, including fumble recoveries by James Olsovsky and Klayton Smith and interceptions by Armstrong and Brent Johnson.

Rangnow scored on a 1-yard run and Johnson, who had 10 carries for 131 yards, had touchdown runs of 4 and 86 yards in the fourth quarter.

"A lot of great athletes, a lot of offense," Reeve said. "I would have never thought we would score 56 points on their defense. The thing I told our kids is that both teams had a chance to quit and lay down and neither one did. That's why we're in this situation."

Individual Statistics

Rushing - Cuero, Brent Johnson 10-131; Tyler Arndt 8-105; Cole Pargmann 9-43; Jake Rangnow 4-33. Troy Ruiz 2-3; Team 1-(-2). Sealy, Dexter Downey 32-226; Dequince Cooper 3-21; Jeffrey Krewek 6-21.

Passing - Cuero, Arndt 10-17-1 206; Team 0-1-0 0. Sealy, Krewek 7-20-2 173; Seth Jamison 1-1-0 38; Bradley Miller 0-1-0 0.

Receiving - Cuero, Robert Armstrong 4-61; Chance Harryman 3-128; James Olsovsky 1-8; Pargmann 1-5; Isaiah Glover 1-4. Sealy, Jamison 3-17; Landon Lehde 2-45; Miller 2-37; Chase Terry 1-12.

JT44
11-22-2008, 01:02 PM
188 yds in the first half for Downey to only 38 in the second, thats some good adjustments by the defensive players and coaches.

HM33
11-22-2008, 06:27 PM
The D was getting lined up a little faster in the second half. And the safetys made great reads and jumped on the run plays great in the second half.