PDA

View Full Version : Leach must be coaching basketball at TT

trojan37
11-21-2008, 02:06 AM
I saw on ESPN where Tech scored 167 points against East Central Oklahoma on Thursday night. The offense continues to explode in Raider land. I hope the Sooners don't do the opposite to them on Saturday. The final in the basketball game was 167 to 115. Wow.

gatordaze
11-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Great defense huh! I guess they share that distinction as well.

jockcity33
11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Great defense huh! I guess they share that distinction as well.

so tell me what has been bad about Tech's defense this year?

gatordaze
11-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
so tell me what has been bad about Tech's defense this year?

Other than being ranked 60th in the nation not much. They can't stop a strong wind much less an offense. They are in good company in the b12 as Mobilehoma is the best at #55.

eagles_victory
11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Not sure how this was the lead story on Sportscenter. East Central Oklahoma? I didnt even know that was a school I just thought that was one of those schools people made up when they made fun of how bad of a schedule you were playing.

95mustang
11-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Other than being ranked 60th in the nation not much. They can't stop a strong wind much less an offense. They are in good company in the b12 as Mobilehoma is the best at #55.

Looks like their defense stopped Texas and Oklahoma State which no one else has been able to do. Oklahoma couldn't stop the Texas offense.

pirate4state
11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
:doh: :sleeping:

gatordaze
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Looks like their defense stopped Texas and Oklahoma State which no one else has been able to do. Oklahoma couldn't stop the Texas offense.

the point is the b12 is poor defensively overall and it will play out in the bowl games. Defense wins championships!

lakers
11-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I was at this game and boy was it a shoot out. It was not that there was a lack of defense, it was just so fast paced. Never was there a time where the offense for either team walked the ball down the court or waited till the shot clock was about to expire to put up a shot. Great game, definitely was exciting..

Your thoughts?

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech gave coach Pat Knight something his famous father never received from the Red Raiders: 167 points.

Trevor Cook scored a career-high 20 and was one of 10 players in double figures for Texas Tech, which shattered the school record for points Thursday night in a 167-115 victory over East Central.
Alan Voskuil and John Roberson each had 17 points, and Mike Singletary and Wally Dunn added 16 apiece for the Red Raiders (3-0). The previous school mark was 128 points, set in a double-overtime win against Texas on Feb. 20, 1994.
"I'm a big believer in confidence," Knight said. "We got 10 guys that score double figures. Proves to them they can at least put it in the bucket. Our defense is a little different. The game is just so different from anything. We're not going to face anything like this."
These are exciting times at Texas Tech, where the football team is ranked No. 2 in the nation thanks to star quarterback Graham Harrell, All-American receiver Michael Crabtree and coach Mike Leach's pass-happy offense. The high-scoring Red Raiders (10-0) visit No. 5 Oklahoma in a huge game Saturday night.
The basketball squad out in Lubbock is off to a strong start, too -- even after Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight stepped down last season with a record 902 career wins and handed the reins to his son.
Bob Knight's teams topped 100 points in five games at Texas Tech, with a high of 119.
This was the first time the Red Raiders surpassed 100 since a 103-50 victory over Texas-Pan American on Dec. 10, 2005.
Dunn hit one of his four 3-pointers with 7:43 left in the second half to give Tech 130 points, breaking the previous school record.
Dontae Figgs scored 19 points to lead seven East Central players in double figures. Justin Wilkerson scored 17 and Ian Adams added 15.
The Red Raiders took 113 shots to 94 for East Central (0-1), quite a pace for 40 minutes. Texas Tech led 77-57 at halftime.
"Wow, that was fun, wasn't it?" East Central coach Terry Shannon said. "We came in with a couple of ideas. We want to play an up-tempo game. We want to force people to play our pace. We didn't have to force them. They went with us and boy they shot the ball well."
The 283 combined points also were the most in Texas Tech history.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283252641)

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
the point is the b12 is poor defensively overall and it will play out in the bowl games. Defense wins championships!
This is a http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/smily104.gif thread.

gatordaze
11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
This is a http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/smily104.gif thread.

Actually it is both! The OP stated "I hope the Sooners don't do the opposite to them on Saturday" Therefore, it is also a football thread

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Actually it is both! The OP stated "I hope the Sooners don't do the opposite to them on Saturday" Therefore, it is also a football thread
:doh: Yeah, okay...missed that. But it's not a football thread.

OldBison75
11-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Do you guys realize that the two teams averaged scoring over 7 points per minute for the entire game. UNBELIEVABLE

That is getting up and down the court alot. These two teams must be the best conditioned athletes in the world. What is more amazing is that the two teams together only hit on about 45 percent of the shots attempted. They had to make about 120 trips up and down the court to score that many and then another 120 or so on missed shots. HELL, THEY ALL RAN A MARATHON>

If you went to the bathroom and came back, 30 points were scored. That is just freaky.

LH Panther Mom
11-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
If you went to the bathroom and came back, 30 points were scored. That is just freaky.
That depends if you went to the mens' room or the ladies' room. :eek: :eek: :doh:

eagles_victory
11-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by lakers
I was at this game and boy was it a shoot out. It was not that there was a lack of defense, it was just so fast paced. Never was there a time where the offense for either team walked the ball down the court or waited till the shot clock was about to expire to put up a shot. Great game, definitely was exciting..

Your thoughts?

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech gave coach Pat Knight something his famous father never received from the Red Raiders: 167 points.

Trevor Cook scored a career-high 20 and was one of 10 players in double figures for Texas Tech, which shattered the school record for points Thursday night in a 167-115 victory over East Central.
Alan Voskuil and John Roberson each had 17 points, and Mike Singletary and Wally Dunn added 16 apiece for the Red Raiders (3-0). The previous school mark was 128 points, set in a double-overtime win against Texas on Feb. 20, 1994.
"I'm a big believer in confidence," Knight said. "We got 10 guys that score double figures. Proves to them they can at least put it in the bucket. Our defense is a little different. The game is just so different from anything. We're not going to face anything like this."
These are exciting times at Texas Tech, where the football team is ranked No. 2 in the nation thanks to star quarterback Graham Harrell, All-American receiver Michael Crabtree and coach Mike Leach's pass-happy offense. The high-scoring Red Raiders (10-0) visit No. 5 Oklahoma in a huge game Saturday night.
The basketball squad out in Lubbock is off to a strong start, too -- even after Hall of Fame coach Bob Knight stepped down last season with a record 902 career wins and handed the reins to his son.
Bob Knight's teams topped 100 points in five games at Texas Tech, with a high of 119.
This was the first time the Red Raiders surpassed 100 since a 103-50 victory over Texas-Pan American on Dec. 10, 2005.
Dunn hit one of his four 3-pointers with 7:43 left in the second half to give Tech 130 points, breaking the previous school record.
Dontae Figgs scored 19 points to lead seven East Central players in double figures. Justin Wilkerson scored 17 and Ian Adams added 15.
The Red Raiders took 113 shots to 94 for East Central (0-1), quite a pace for 40 minutes. Texas Tech led 77-57 at halftime.
"Wow, that was fun, wasn't it?" East Central coach Terry Shannon said. "We came in with a couple of ideas. We want to play an up-tempo game. We want to force people to play our pace. We didn't have to force them. They went with us and boy they shot the ball well."
The 283 combined points also were the most in Texas Tech history.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=283252641) Sorry but if you give up 167 points in a 40 minute game your not playing defense.

lakers
11-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That depends if you went to the mens' room or the ladies' room. :eek: :eek: :doh:

There was only about 3k fans at the game. I dont think you would have had a problem...:D

and e_v...
It was the fastest game I have ever seen in my life. Neither defense had time to even set up, just constant fast breaks...

Trust me I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eagles_victory
11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by lakers
There was only about 3k fans at the game. I dont think you would have had a problem...:D

and e_v...
It was the fastest game I have ever seen in my life. Neither defense had time to even set up, just constant fast breaks...

Trust me I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesnt matter you should be able to play transiston defense. I dont care how fast a game is your not playing defense when you give up that many points. I guarantee you when we come to Lubbock the Red Raiders won't hit 70.