PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Guests at Lake Highlands Pep Rally

kepdawg
11-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Will Smith, Tony Romo light up Lake Highlands pep rally

The screams were ear-splitting when movie star Will Smith and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo entered the Lake Highlands gynasium for a surprise pep rally visit.

The pep rally was for the school's state-bound volleyball team and bi-district champion football team, but Smith stopped by during his swing through Dallas promoting his new movie, "Seven Pounds." The star said it was his first visit to a high school in years.

We're not sure why Romo was tagging along, but none of the stunned students were complaining. They were too busy screaming and snapping pictures.

Smith and Romo had a little fun with the crowd while also delivering inspirational messages. Smith started out by asking Romo, "How's the pinkie?" to much laughter. Romo shook his hand to show he was fine.

Then Smith told the students that when he first started on TV's "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," producer Quincy Jones gave him two words of advice: fearless and relentless. He said you have to be both to achieve your goals.

Romo talked about the doubts that he, as an undrafted free agent, could even make the team, much less become starting quarterback of the Cowboys. He said what was keeping him from reaching his goals was him, not what other people were saying.

Then the two celebrities had some fun. Romo played a game with the crowd, telling them to clap at the appropriate "hike!" after he called signals - just like he would at the line of scrimmage. Of course, just like some offensive linemen, each time a portion of the crowd woudl clap too soon.

Smith mugged along as Romo barked out the signals. Then Smith did an impromptu beatbox jam, instructing the crowd to chant "Wildcats" at the appropriate time.

Just before the duo left, Smith had one more message: "Every single day of your life, I want you to make somebody better."

They left to a rousing ovation, as the marching band played one of Smith's R&B hits.

Although the visit was supposed to be a surprise, word had leaked that Romo and someone else would be at the pep rally. As a group of women (probably football players' mothers) walked out of the gym, I overheard one of them say, "I thought it would be Tony and Jessica. This was even better!"

Posted by Keith Whitmire at 6:13 PM | Permalink | Comments (16)

LINK (http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/will-smith-tony-romo-light-up-lake-highl.html)

Gobbla2001
11-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

one of Smith's R&B hits.

that's an oxymoron... huh-hah

CueroDad08
11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kepdawg
Will Smith, Tony Romo light up Lake Highlands pep rally

The screams were ear-splitting when movie star Will Smith and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo entered the Lake Highlands gynasium for a surprise pep rally visit.

The pep rally was for the school's state-bound volleyball team and bi-district champion football team, but Smith stopped by during his swing through Dallas promoting his new movie, "Seven Pounds." The star said it was his first visit to a high school in years.

We're not sure why Romo was tagging along, but none of the stunned students were complaining. They were too busy screaming and snapping pictures.

Smith and Romo had a little fun with the crowd while also delivering inspirational messages. Smith started out by asking Romo, "How's the pinkie?" to much laughter. Romo shook his hand to show he was fine.

Then Smith told the students that when he first started on TV's "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," producer Quincy Jones gave him two words of advice: fearless and relentless. He said you have to be both to achieve your goals.

Romo talked about the doubts that he, as an undrafted free agent, could even make the team, much less become starting quarterback of the Cowboys. He said what was keeping him from reaching his goals was him, not what other people were saying.

Then the two celebrities had some fun. Romo played a game with the crowd, telling them to clap at the appropriate "hike!" after he called signals - just like he would at the line of scrimmage. Of course, just like some offensive linemen, each time a portion of the crowd woudl clap too soon.

Smith mugged along as Romo barked out the signals. Then Smith did an impromptu beatbox jam, instructing the crowd to chant "Wildcats" at the appropriate time.

Just before the duo left, Smith had one more message: "Every single day of your life, I want you to make somebody better."

They left to a rousing ovation, as the marching band played one of Smith's R&B hits.

Although the visit was supposed to be a surprise, word had leaked that Romo and someone else would be at the pep rally. As a group of women (probably football players' mothers) walked out of the gym, I overheard one of them say, "I thought it would be Tony and Jessica. This was even better!"

Posted by Keith Whitmire at 6:13 PM | Permalink | Comments (16)

LINK (http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/will-smith-tony-romo-light-up-lake-highl.html)

Anyone got any pictures they can post?

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:25 PM
I wonder if they had an appearance fee.

And I wonder who's rich dad paid for it. I bet there is a 1-2 agents flipping through some big bills right now.

kepdawg
11-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian

And I wonder who's rich dad paid for it. I bet there is a 1-2 agents flipping through some big bills right now.

My response is the same:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89629

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Vid:

http://www.risd.org/schools/lhhs/index.htm

certainly looked planed to me...

ccmom
11-19-2008, 10:35 PM

Great story!:thumbsup:

And, I seriously doubt that there was big $ involved.....I mean, duh....Wylie hasn't had such big names at our pep rallies and we all know we buy whatever we can. :rolleyes:

Emerson1
11-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
My response is the same:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89629
I thought I read that Dave Campo's son along with some of the other Cowboy's Coaches sons go to Lake Highlands and Romo had been spotted on the LH sidelines during games.

JR2004
11-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I thought I read that Dave Campo's son along with some of the other Cowboy's Coaches sons go to Lake Highlands and Romo had been spotted on the LH sidelines during games.

Campo's son plays for Coppell.

nobogey72
11-20-2008, 07:39 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Always someone who has to put a negative twist on a good story. So what if some parent did pay for it!!!!! I would love to be able to do something like that for my team and school.

Troybuilt
11-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Always someone who has to put a negative twist on a good story. So what if some parent did pay for it!!!!! I would love to be able to do something like that for my team and school.

Where do you go to school?

nobogey72
11-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Troybuilt
Where do you go to school?

Brownwood!!!:eek: :eek:

48minutes
11-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72

who would of that it be Diocletian?

When it comes to him and Romo, its going to be negative.

Diocletian
11-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by 48minutes
who would of that it be Diocletian?

When it comes to him and Romo, its going to be negative.

I must be entirely missing the negativity of my posts, as I totaly disagree with your evaluation of them.

It's obvious this "set-up" was an attempt to fire this team up. I guess we'll just have to wait a few days to see if it worked.