PDA

View Full Version : Firewood

Bullaholic
11-19-2008, 04:27 PM
It's getting almost impossible to find anybody who sells firewood anymore, much less delivers it. Even in the smaller, rural towns like Bridgeport firewood vendors are hard to come by. When you do find one anywhere they want an arm and a leg for a cord. Of course, I'll have to say that anyone who has ever cut and stacked a cord of wood---it's worth every penny.

Looking4number8
11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
No kidding, it has gotten really high. My dad came across a guy that works at a factory here and he is selling it cut and delivered for $75 a cord. I told him to bring me as much as 3 cords. 75 bucks is about half price!

Ranger Mom
11-19-2008, 05:34 PM
What kind of firewood do you buy?

My husband brings home TONS of mesquite, but doesn't like to burn it in the fireplace a LOT, says it burns too hot??

Is he nuts???

Pick6
11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My husband

Is he nuts???

He married you :p

pirate4state
11-19-2008, 05:39 PM

My husband brings home TONS of mesquite, but doesn't like to burn it in the fireplace a LOT, says it burns too hot??

Is he nuts???

He is if he isn't using it to GRILL with! Don't waste mesquite indoors! That IS nuts. :D

Bullaholic
11-19-2008, 05:53 PM

Is he nuts???

Split oak, mostly, but I will use almost anything that doesn't make too acrid smoke. Sometimes you have to be carefull if wood has been sprayed with pesticides for any reason.

I agree with P4S, save that mesquite for cooking unless that is all you have, and it does burn pretty hot---sometimes you have to mix green wood in with dead wood to keep it from burning up too quickly and hot.

There is just nothing better than a good, warm fire on a cold, wintry day or night.

Ranger Mom
11-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
He married you :p

tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :kiss:

Originally posted by pirate4state
He is if he isn't using it to GRILL with! Don't waste mesquite indoors! That IS nuts. :D :

That's the only reason he brings it home is to cook with it...and then i can't ever have a fire in my fireplace because he says it burns too hot.

I just figured he was saying that because he didn't wanna mess with a fire!!:p

Bullaholic
11-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
No kidding, it has gotten really high. My dad came across a guy that works at a factory here and he is selling it cut and delivered for $75 a cord. I told him to bring me as much as 3 cords. 75 bucks is about half price!

That's a great price--wish that guy was around here and I would do the same @ $75/cord. Of course, some folks idea of a cord falls short of 4x8x4.

Ranger Mom
11-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Split oak, mostly, but I will use almost anything that doesn't make too acrid smoke. Sometimes you have to be carefull if wood has been sprayed with pesticides for any reason.

I agree with P4S, save that mesquite for cooking unless that is all you have, and it does burn pretty hot---sometimes you have to mix green wood in with dead wood to keep it from burning up too quickly and hot.

There is just nothing better than a good, warm fire on a cold, wintry day or night.

We brought a bunch of cedar back from dads when he lived in Oklahoma....it smelled GREAT but it popped little embers all over the place!!!!

Old Dog
11-19-2008, 06:17 PM
Mom, mesquite is of course great for the grill, but it can get so hot it will damage (warp) heating stoves. In central Texas we like split live oak best. Old timers (I know older than me is ancient), say that the rockier the ground where an oak is grown makes for a tighter grain because of the slower growth.....thus a longer lasting fire.

Looking4number8
11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
That's a great price--wish that guy was around here and I would do the same @ $75/cord. Of course, some folks idea of a cord falls short of 4x8x4.

He is supposed to bring the first cord this weekend. I would not be surprised if it was a little short but to b honest and 75 bucks I am not going to be to picky

Necks_Fan
11-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Lol. I live in the woods, so we just got get some firewood off the ground ont he four wheeler.

It was even easier this year because when thew Hurricane came, it knowcked down a bunch of tress. We just cut em up with a chain saw and stacked it. We're good to go. :)