PDA

View Full Version : Further evidence that Tony Romo really is a swell fella

Txbroadcaster
11-19-2008, 02:45 PM
A homeless man who goes by Doc was cashing in change at a Cinemark theater in Dallas when a guy walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. Doc, who planned to spend his day passing out flyers for a few bucks, accepted a rain check before realizing that he recognized the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" Doc asked the kid behind the counter.

It sure was. Doc hustled across the street to the consignment store that paid him to occasionally pass out flyers and requested the day off. By the time he got back to the theater, "Role Model" had already started.

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved Doc over to sit by him and his buddy. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."

And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.

For Romo, who made news by changing a couple's tire on the side of the road on the way home the night of the season opener, it was just another kind gesture to a random stranger. It meant the world to Doc.

"For me, it was a blessing," Doc said. "It came at just the right time. It gave me some encouragement and faith in mankind. I just wanted to say thank you."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/11/further-evidence-that-tony-romo-really-i.html

95mustang
11-19-2008, 02:53 PM
The world of professional sports could use alot more athletes like him. WAY TO GO ROMO!

Reds fan
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Good stuff there!:2thumbsup

Txbroadcaster
11-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Why was this moved? This is about a SPORTS person

We can keep the thread about someone being released from jail on main board but not this

eagles_victory
11-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

We can keep the thread about someone being released from jail on main board but not this Agree with you ridiculous to move this thread.

pirate4state
11-19-2008, 04:31 PM

We can keep the thread about someone being released from jail on main board but not this

It's a feel good story that just happens to be about a QB.
Big whoop!

Quit crying about everything! Why, why, why!? :rolleyes:

eagles_victory
11-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Big whoop!

Quit crying about everything! Why, why, why!? :rolleyes: p4s at her best doing things just to say she did them

pirate4state
11-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
p4s at her best doing things just to say she did them eagles_victory doing what he does assuming he knows something he doesn't!

i didn't move the thread. not that it matters, but i can see WHY it was moved!

Looking4number8
11-19-2008, 05:33 PM
thats a great story!!

duckhunter
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
maybe the homeless man gave tony some tips on how not to turn the ball over?

piratebg
11-19-2008, 06:19 PM
That was a nice gesture. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Txbroadcaster
11-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Big whoop!

Quit crying about everything! Why, why, why!? :rolleyes:

wow did not know I had cried about "everything"

I was simply asking a question

meanie head

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:16 PM
There is a fine line between feeling guilty in the presence of someone in need....and going out of your way to help someone in need.

Don't crown "butterfingers" just yet. Let's see if he has the stones to dedicate 1-2 full days helping out more than just one person, and let's also see how much of our 67M goes toward charity. This is exactly what people do to make others think they are nice.

Then again, it's his money now...he can do with it as he pleases. But before we can be proud of him, he'll need to show full interest into helping people by going out of his way...not just adjusting to what comes along.

kepdawg
11-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
There is a fine line between feeling guilty in the presence of someone in need....and going out of your way to help someone in need.

Don't crown "butterfingers" just yet. Let's see if he has the stones to dedicate 1-2 full days helping out more than just one person, and let's also see how much of our 67M goes toward charity. This is exactly what people do to make others think they are nice.

Then again, it's his money now...he can do with it as he pleases. But before we can be proud of him, he'll need to show full interest into helping people by going out of his way...not just adjusting to what comes along.

It saddens me that this kind of response to positive posts seems to be a more frequent occurrence on 3ADL.

Emerson1
11-19-2008, 10:33 PM
He didn't have to do that. Notice whenever you see most superstars doing charity there is 100 News cameras on them.

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It saddens me that this kind of response to positive posts seems to be a more frequent occurrence on 3ADL.

which part makes you sad....

1. The part where I evaluate and express concern between the lines.

2. The part where I'm honest.

3. The part where I recommend further involvement of charity.

4. Or the part where I'm right see 1-3.

kepdawg
11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
which part makes you sad....

1. The part where I evaluate and express concern between the lines.

2. The part where I'm honest.

3. The part where I recommend further involvement of charity.

4. Or the part where I'm right see 1-3.

The part where people criticize others when something positive they have done is brought up.

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He didn't have to do that. Notice whenever you see most superstars doing charity there is 100 News cameras on them.

Having athletes one-up themselves by competing with how much charity they give only helps those in need more. Sure there are many players just trying to create a fake image, but at least they put their $ where their mouth is, and that's what counts. Time, effort, and $$$. Helping someone change a tire, or inviting a homeless person to a movie is just feeling guilty.

If he wanted to help those people he would have commited further toward their problems.

There are many stories of great attributions of charity from star-light athletes. This isn't one of them, and will be blown out of proportion because people like "butterfingers"

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:42 PM
The part where people criticize others when something positive they have done is brought up.

His actions were not "positive" in my opinion.

Emerson1
11-19-2008, 10:45 PM

There are many stories of great attributions of charity from star-light athletes. This isn't one of them, and will be blown out of proportion because people like "butterfingers"
I think any player would have received the same press coverage. It might make ESPN just because of who he is, but if the star player of another team did it they would receive the same press.

You seem to have it out for those that have money and want to bring joy to others.

kepdawg
11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
His actions were not "positive" in my opinion.

So his actions were negative?

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I think any player would have received the same press coverage. It might make ESPN just because of who he is, but if the star player of another team did it they would receive the same press.

You seem to have it out for those that have money and want to bring joy to others.

the only thing I see here is

convenient false-joy

Believe me, if "butterfingers" wanted to help the guy, he would have offered him more than a movie ticket. And the offering certaintly doesn't have to be $ related either. It's clearly obvious this is a guilt related donation.

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 10:53 PM
So his actions were negative?

yes

Not only is it disrespectful, it's harmful as well.

This event will present a psychological effect on the needing party that is harmful to any sort of recovery.

Emerson1
11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
How is feeling bad because a guy is homeless different then feeling bad because a kid is sick and giving charity because of it?

kepdawg
11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
yes

Not only is it disrespectful, it's harmful as well.

This event will present a psychological effect on the needing party that is harmful to any sort of recovery.

In that case he should certainly not take any of the actions you mentioned in your original post. We wouldn't want him being disrespectful and harmful!

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 11:03 PM
How is feeling bad because a guy is homeless different then feeling bad because a kid is sick and giving charity because of it?

Bad feelings for a homeless man is nothing more than guilt. And if you act on it, you worsen yourself as a person.

A sick child, normaly has no control over their illness, and it wasn't caused by anything near similar to a homeless individual.

Diocletian
11-19-2008, 11:05 PM
In that case he should certainly not take any of the actions you mentioned in your original post. We wouldn't want him being disrespectful and harmful!

Exactly..

I understand your humor here, but when you "Help" someone, you need to do it effectively, not half-arse it like some jerk with $6.50

pirate4state
11-19-2008, 11:18 PM
wow did not know I had cried about "everything"

I was simply asking a question

meanie head

well now you do :p :taunt: :p

kepdawg
11-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Exactly..

I understand your humor here, but when you "Help" someone, you need to do it effectively, not half-arse it like some jerk with $6.50

Okay. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter.

48minutes
11-20-2008, 12:38 AM

couldn't agree more.

He doesn't do these things for them to put in articles, he does them cause he is generous. Why would you respond that way?

WylieBulldog92
11-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by 48minutes
couldn't agree more.

He doesn't do these things for them to put in articles, he does them cause he is generous. Why would you respond that way?
He likes to darken everyone's day?

orange machine
11-20-2008, 02:26 AM

Thats freakin awful to say. Romo could have just walked away from the guy and not paid him any attention. Besides who does Romo need to impress with his giving certainly none of us. I seriously doubt that Romo goes out and helps people just to make himself look good. Your devil picture explains it all.

eagles_victory
11-20-2008, 02:50 AM
you have got to be kidding me I wonder what reason he had for helping those people change their tire on the side of the road? People have died like that several times and I dont know too many people who stop and help people on the side of the road in the middle of the night.

Sounds to me like you just dont like Romo or when people give credit to celebs for doing nice things. How do you know what work he does with charity? I dont know anything for sure he does but you don't know anything either your just making assumptions.

Butterfingers over and over again come on come up with something more creative. We get he dropped the snap in the playoffs we get it believe it or not most of us watched the game. So unless you can come up with something better than the age old butterfingers just call him Romo. I hope thats not intended to be funny because you failed more miserably than Romo did when he tried to hold that kick. But maybe im overreacting let me call TBS.

Nope they didnt think it was funny either

Looking4number8
11-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
you have got to be kidding me I wonder what reason he had for helping those people change their tire on the side of the road? People have died like that several times and I dont know too many people who stop and help people on the side of the road in the middle of the night.

Sounds to me like you just dont like Romo (known to him as butterfings) or when people give credit to celebs for doing nice things. How do you know what work he does with charity? I dont know anything for sure he does but you don't know anything either your just making assumptions.

Butterfingers over and over again come on come up with something more creative. We get he dropped the snap in the playoffs we get it believe it or not most of us watched the game. So unless you can come up with something better than the age old butterfingers just call him Romo. I hope thats not intended to be funny because you failed more miserably than Romo did when he tried to hold that kick. But maybe im overreacting let me call TBS.

Nope they didnt think it was funny either

:iagree: :iagree: Sounds to me more like the dude has a beef with Romo than a moral issue about charity and how it is given. I think it is great what Romo did. The $6.50 was nothing, the gesture of inviting him to sit with them no matter how he looked or smelled was very very kind.

garciap77
11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/smiley_guy_sticking_out_tongue_lg_c.gif

Phantom Stang
11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Exactly.
What Romo did here sets an example for the rest of us. Most of us don't have $67 million to give big to charity, but we CAN help someone with a flat tire, or provide a homeless person with something as inexpensive as a fast food meal or a ticket to a movie.

eagles_victory
11-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Exactly.
What Romo did here sets an example for the rest of us. Most of us don't have $67 million to give big to charity, but we CAN help someone with a flat tire, or provide a homeless person with something as inexpensive as a fast food meal or a ticket to a movie. What you have to look past here is the money issue. People are too quick to look at things a celebrity does and judge it by monetary value. When your making Romos money anyone can just throw out a few hundred thousand to help someone. However, not many people do something personal that actually makes a differnece in a persons life. Romo gave a guy who was down on his luck hope that should count for something.

nobogey72
11-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Dude!!! Why is it that most all of your posts so negative? You just like to find the "bad" in everything and everybody or what??:confused: :confused:

Reds fan
11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Dude!!! Why is it that most all of your posts so negative? You just like to find the "bad" in everything and everybody or what??:confused: :confused:

Because Diocletian prefers "trolling" as the method to get fish to bite.

JasperDog94
11-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Because Diocletian prefers "trolling" as the method to get fish to bite. I hate trolling. It's a boring way to fish. I much prefer casting from spot to spot.:D

Ranger Mom
11-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I actually feel sorry for people who have to try and bring everyone around them down....it's gotta be a lonely existence (which I am sure will be denied...as expected!!)

OMG!!!!:eek: :eek:

I hope my feeling sorry for those people doesn't "present a psychological effect on the needing party that is harmful to any sort of recovery."

Necks_Fan
11-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Diocletion........... your posts on this thread make me :thinking: and then once I think about it..... I go :doh: :hand: ..... then I think you are :crazy1:

I'm :vrycnfsd: by your thoughts.

Phantom Stang
11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I hope my feeling sorry for those people doesn't "present a psychological effect on the needing party that is harmful to any sort of recovery."
Greatness!! :D :clap: :clap:

jimmyceatworld
11-20-2008, 07:27 PM

So he would only be interested in helping people by devoting himself to them for 1-2 full days? Here's a question I don't know the answer to Diocletian so please help me out. How many full days have you dedicated to the less fortunate? Oh and by the way, it seemed like he went out of his way to offer the man a ticket and sit by him. I don't believe the homeless guy bumped into him and asked for something like you make it sound. it seems you have something against Rome, but you're probably too busy showing full interest in helping people to have time for that. This entire argument is flawed and textbook pessimism.

Diocletian
11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
So he would only be interested in helping people by devoting himself to them for 1-2 full days? Here's a question I don't know the answer to Diocletian so please help me out. How many full days have you dedicated to the less fortunate? Oh and by the way, it seemed like he went out of his way to offer the man a ticket and sit by him. I don't believe the homeless guy bumped into him and asked for something like you make it sound. it seems you have something against Rome, but you're probably too busy showing full interest in helping people to have time for that. This entire argument is flawed and textbook pessimism.

Don't try to judge me based on the opinions I express here in a forum.

I am only voicing my opinion here, and yes if my posts make people think more into something then that shouldn't make people feel "down" about anything. There will always be 2 sides to any situation. Being on the opposite side isn't wrong, it's Human.

The only problem I have with Romo is all fan-related. What he did here shouldn't be crowned as doing good for anyone. That is my opinion, and I've explained it well enough for everyone reading my posts to understand where I'm coming from.

People who make an actual difference in this world aren't ones who give a bumb $6.

Diocletian
11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I actually feel sorry for people who have to try and bring everyone around them down....it's gotta be a lonely existence (which I am sure will be denied...as expected!!)

Actions speak louder than words. Just feeling sorry about something is a lot different than giving away $$ because you feel guilty.

I can see where everyone might think, just because I disagree with what he did here, that I am crazy. But I 100% think he did not do the right thing in this situation.

48minutes
11-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I am 100% sure that your opinion is stupendous. Look at the glass half empty why don't ya.

jimmyceatworld
11-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Don't try to judge me based on the opinions I express here in a forum.

I am only voicing my opinion here, and yes if my posts make people think more into something then that shouldn't make people feel "down" about anything. There will always be 2 sides to any situation. Being on the opposite side isn't wrong, it's Human.

The only problem I have with Romo is all fan-related. What he did here shouldn't be crowned as doing good for anyone. That is my opinion, and I've explained it well enough for everyone reading my posts to understand where I'm coming from.

People who make an actual difference in this world aren't ones who give a bumb $6.

I'm sorry if I came off as judgmental. I probably could have reworded some things. I just wanted to know how exactly you formed your definition of charity. I'm not condemning you for choosing the opposite side of the argument. It's that I don't understand why you're so quick to dismiss Romo's thoughtful deed.

You have explained your opinion, but it doesn't seem to add up. Of course, I don't believe Romo should receive a crown for a small act of kindness, but to say it will only have negative results is difficult to comprehend.

I guess I initially was irritated with your post because it seemed like you were saying money is the only way to make a difference in someone's life. I know you were referring to Romo and his lucrative salary. Althought I think donating money is a great thing I believe it's possible to make an actual difference is a needy person's life without giving them money. I don't think many of us are saying that Romo changed this man's life because he bought him a ticket. We're saying, like the title of the thread, that this is a good example of being a "swell fella"