PDA

View Full Version : Class A Football...Roscoe vs. Archer City

JR2004
11-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Honestly I wouldn't go to this game or any other Class A game on my own, (Really I don't want to see anymore football at all this year, HS, College or Pro after last Saturday's debacle in Mansfield against Kennedale.) but I was asked by some folks I know if I'd go with them to this one on Friday out in Cisco and I just couldn't turn them down because we've had a lot of fun going to playoff games the last couple of years. Both the folks I"m going with are Hebron fans, but the dad is a former Plowboy from the Class of '47 or '48 (He had a 60th Class reunion either last year or this year, but I can't remember for certain at the moment. I want to say he's Class of '47.) so we're going out there to watch them.

I've never seen Roscoe play, but they both said they're pretty good. They went to see them play Ballinger this year and the game was Ballinger's homecoming. They said they beat them 39-6 which I'm guessing is pretty good since Ballinger won their 2A district before losing last week to their former coach, Glen Jones, in the first round of the 2A playoffs.

Anyhow is there anyone that's seen the Plowboys or Archer City this year that knows anything about either team? I've watched a grand total of one Class A game in my life (2003 Chilton vs. Bosqueville regional final rematch of a district game.) and that was only because Lee Wiginton was the head coach of Bosqueville at the time. Any players I should know about for either school in this one that'll make the game interesting?

injuredinmelee
11-19-2008, 05:01 AM
watch the Roscoe qb. I think he has been starting since he was a frosh. He is also last years district basketball mvp. NOt a big kid but a good football player.

Red&White_9x5
11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I have seen the Plowboys play numerous times and they are good. The qb and stud wr are cousins and they can flat out play. They have both been starting since their freshman year. If you get a chance to watch them play you won't be disappointed

sinton66
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Roscoe is ALWAYS a force in West Texas 1A.

CenTexSports
11-19-2008, 10:10 AM
I know the refs that are calling the game (does that count?).

I_DONT_CARE
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I know the refs that are calling the game (does that count?).
IT DEPENDS IF THEY CALL A GOOD GAME OR NOT. :D

vet93
11-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Rosoe is a very good 1a football team...I do not think that they will win state though. Their quarterback and a couple of recievers are first rate. They have a pretty decent offensive line and defense but not specatacular. They like to spread the field and may have two plays for no gain but then make you pay on the third with a big play. They are susceptible to a power running game...in my opinion.

The Ballinger game was not a good test of either team. A healthy Ballinger team would have beaten Roscoe that night. Ballinger was missing:
Starting Quarterback (Senior, threw for around 1500 yards while missing 2 games due to injury)

Starting Running Back (Senior, rushed for around a thousand yards while missing 3 games due to injury)

Starting WR/DB/Special teams ace (Senior, fastest player on the team, most all-purpose yards, most touchdowns, scored on kickoff and punt returns, two-time all district both ways)

Starting RT/DE (Senior, 6'4" 220, best offensive lineman)

Starting WR/DB (Senior, second best db and plays about half of the time on offense)

Starting LB/2nd team RB (Junior, best linebacker and a very quick runner at RB)

To compensate for these injuries Ballinger moved a defensive lineman to running back. He had about 180 yards rushing. You can see how this game was very skewed from the beginning due to the injuries. I still think that Roscoe is a very good team and should go far...but will have trouble with a team who is physical, can run the football and eat up the clock...I know nothing about Archer City.

GreenMonster
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Archer City is pretty tough in their own right. They are in the district that had the defending Class A Div II Champion and last years Class A Div I runner-up as well as Class A perrenial powerhouse Windthorst and managed to run the table in that very competitive district. #7 Sam Smith is the guy to keep an eye on from AC. Archer is a wishbone team and they run it pretty well. I expect this game to be a shoot-out and the winner to have the keys to the Region 1 title.

swstangs001
11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
I have seen the Plowboys play numerous times and they are good. The qb and stud wr are cousins and they can flat out play. They have both been starting since their freshman year. If you get a chance to watch them play you won't be disappointed

Their QB and stud WR are twins

slingshot
11-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Def a contrast of styles--good wishbone team vs good spread passing team... should be entertaining. I watched Goldthwaite vs Roscoe last year in a similiar contrast of styles here in the playoffs--thoroughly enjoyed it and knew no one from either team.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-19-2008, 09:48 PM
When and Where, I'd like to see this one?

JR2004
11-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
When and Where, I'd like to see this one?

Friday at 7:30 in Cisco is what I was told.

Stownhorse
11-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Last time I watched Roscoe they got shut down by Munday....But Munday was cold and also won state. Roscoe cant get past a big game.

Here is their schedule. They usually dont play a tough schedule.

http://stats.reporternews.com/football/boys/teams/718/

jockcity33
11-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Is Sam Smith the head coaches son? I went to school with Steve Smith the HC at AC

Scholar
11-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I counted 4 2A schools on their schedule and 3 of those are still playing. Sounds like a tough schedule to me. I watched Roscoe get beat by Munday last year and they looked pretty solid. Of course, Munday beat every team they played last year.