PDA

View Full Version : Former Vernon Lions honored

lion75
11-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Former Vernon Lion and TCU Horned Frog Chris Thomsen has been named Lone Star Conf. South Div Coach of the Year for the third consecutive season. Thomsen has compiled a record of 28-6 in his three seasons at Abilene Christian and led the Wildcats to 3 straight NCAA Div. II playoff appearances.
Bernard Scott, a former Vernon tailback is the frontrunner for the Harlon Hill Trophy and has been named LSC South Off. Player of the Year. Scott has 1,695 yds rushing and 20 TDs along with 689 yds and 5 tds receiving. He leads the nation in all purpose yds per game, points per game, and is in the top 5 in several other categories. Scott was runner up for the Harlon Hill Trophy last year.
Aston Whiteside, a redshirt freshman DE from Vernon has been named Freshman of the Year and Co-Defensive Lineman of the Year. He led the LSC South with 9 sacks.
Former Lion Ken Collums, who quarterbacked Vernon to a 16-0 AAA State Championship in 1990, is the ACU offensive coordinator.

WylieBulldog92
11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Former Vernon Lion and TCU Horned Frog Chris Thomsen has been named Lone Star Conf. South Div Coach of the Year for the third consecutive season. Thomsen has compiled a record of 28-6 in his three seasons at Abilene Christian and led the Wildcats to 3 straight NCAA Div. II playoff appearances.
Bernard Scott, a former Vernon tailback is the frontrunner for the Harlon Hill Trophy and has been named LSC South Off. Player of the Year. Scott has 1,695 yds rushing and 20 TDs along with 689 yds and 5 tds receiving. He leads the nation in all purpose yds per game, points per game, and is in the top 5 in several other categories. Scott was runner up for the Harlon Hill Trophy last year.
Aston Whiteside, a redshirt freshman DE from Vernon has been named Freshman of the Year and Co-Defensive Lineman of the Year. He led the LSC South with 9 sacks.
Former Lion Ken Collums, who quarterbacked Vernon to a 16-0 AAA State Championship in 1990, is the ACU offensive coordinator.

Is Aston Whiteside, your tailback's older brother?

LH Panther Mom
11-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats to them! :clap: :clap:

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Congrats to those fellas...when I saw the name Scott upon first glance I was really hopin it was former coach walter scott...a great coach and an even better man.

lion75
11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Is Aston Whiteside, your tailback's older brother? That would be his cousin.

BullsFan
11-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Congrats to those guys!! Vernon's got a great program, as evidenced by the guys it's turned out.

lion75
11-18-2008, 11:06 PM
A couple of other interesting side notes about off. cord. Ken Collums is that (A) He is Coach Thomsen's brother-in-law and (B) the year after he led Vernon to the state championship, he went to play QB at Central Arkansas. Early in his first year, Cent. Ark's senior starting QB was lost for the season and Ken was thrown into the starting position as a true freshman. He led them into the NCAA Div. III playoffs, ran the table, and won the National Championship. In consecutive seasons, Ken got a Texas AAA State Championship ring and a NCAA D3 National Championship ring.

slpybear the bullfan
11-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by lion75
A couple of other interesting side notes about off. cord. Ken Collums is that (A) He is Coach Thomsen's brother-in-law and (B) the year after he led Vernon to the state championship, he went to play QB at Central Arkansas. Early in his first year, Cent. Ark's senior starting QB was lost for the season and Ken was thrown into the starting position as a true freshman. He led them into the NCAA Div. III playoffs, ran the table, and won the National Championship. In consecutive seasons, Ken got a Texas AAA State Championship ring and a NCAA D3 National Championship ring.
Pretty impressive!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Those coaches are class acts. Congrats to them and to Bernard and Aston for their acomplishments this year. I'm very proud to call Vernon my hometown.

wildstangs
11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
It has been great to see ACU build that program up. I attended ACU when Gary Gaines was there, and I give him a ton of the credit for getting ACU competitive and in the right direction. A guy I was good friends with is also an assistant coach right now with the wildcats.

Very cool to see a group of men from a tradition rich school like Vernon leading ACU to such amazing victories.

lion75
11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
It is also worth mentioning that Coach Thomsen was Male Athlete of the Year at TCU in 1991 while playing tight end on the football team and leading the SWC in home runs and hitting as the first baseman on the baseball team. He led the Frogs to the College World Series that year and was drafted and signed by the Oakland A's at the end of the year.