11-18-2008, 04:43 PM
here is link

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111808aab.html

TexanAlum_06
11-18-2008, 04:47 PM
nm

Pick6
11-18-2008, 04:47 PM
The Major Applewhite cry babies will come out now.

Maroon87
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

Nah...maybe when Davis leaves Major will become OC. That's a more likely scenario.

I'm sure Mack has talked to DKR a lot about when it's "time" to go. Remember DKR retired relatively young compared to other greats like Bryant and guys like Bowden and Paterno who are still grinding. I 'm sure he looks at those guys and doesn't want any part of that in his "golden years."

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Nah...maybe when Davis leaves Major will become OC. That's a more likely scenario.

I'm sure Mack has talked to DKR a lot about when it's "time" to go. Remember DKR retired relatively young compared to other greats like Bryant and guys like Bowden and Paterno who are still grinding. I 'm sure he looks at those guys and doesn't want any part of that in his "golden years."

Would not shock me to see Brown if they won a NC this year

BreckTxLonghorn
11-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Pick6

Not saying he should have been given this title like Muschamp or even the HC job at Texas ever. However, I think Major has done a great job helping the program and influencing Greg Davis on some of the playcalling nuances on gameday. I hope he stays with the knowledge that he will take over the OC when Davis goes; but if he has aspirations of being a Head Coach one of these days, he'll leave as soon as his contract ends, and that's what I don't like. He's a good coach, and he probably wants to coach somewhere for a long time and take over much like Muschamp has been tabbed to do. Knowing it won't be here, I'm not blaming him if he leaves.

I think putting the team in Muschamp's hands is a great idea, especially a few years down the road (hopefully 8, at the least); but I don't like the timing of it, especially considering we may just alienated one of the best young offensive coaches in the country.

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
especially considering we may just alienated one of the best young offensive coaches in the country.

First off Applewhite should NOT in anyway alienated..he is not an OC, Champ is a DC...Applewhite is right now nothing more than a RB coach who helps with QB position

We have no clue what he does or does not do that influence Davis on his playcalling..I think some people think Applewhite just can never do wrong and is guaranteed to be amazing as a coach

I dont think he has earned the right to think he is guaranteed the OC job when Davis retires

and honestly I dont think he is at this point one of the best young offensive college coaches because we dont even know what his system is, what his play calling tendenancies are and such

coach
11-18-2008, 05:58 PM
is this texas' way of trying to tell us that mac is about done? or are they just doing this so they can keep muschamp from going to a place tlike washington, tennssee. or clemson

BreckTxLonghorn
11-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
First off Applewhite should NOT in anyway alienated..he is not an OC, Champ is a DC...Applewhite is right now nothing more than a RB coach who helps with QB position

We have no clue what he does or does not do that influence Davis on his playcalling..I think some people think Applewhite just can never do wrong and is guaranteed to be amazing as a coach

I dont think he has earned the right to think he is guaranteed the OC job when Davis retires

and honestly I dont think he is at this point one of the best young offensive college coaches because we dont even know what his system is, what his play calling tendenancies are and such

I'm not saying he should be the head coach; I'm not saying he's earned the right to be a head coach or even an OC. I'm just saying there has been a positive change in the offense as well a massive improvement year to year for Colt, and I'd like to see Major stay while.

And we know exactly what his system is: He was OC at Bama before coming to Texas, averaging 26 points a game--in the SEC. Before that, he was OC at Rice the year they went to a bowl game for the first time in 40 years.

His system used was a lot like Texas'. Mostly one back, lots of receivers in difference alignments. He took a demotion in title to come back to Texas, but he's got the experience.

I am by no means one the followers in the cult of Major. I still stand by my belief that Simms was the better player and should have started each time, but Mack should have played the situation better by redshirting Simms and sitting him one year. But as a coach, Applewhite have proven himself successful in multiple schools, and I worry that the offense could regress to the style of two years ago without him (that of the multiple check screens and dives).

BreckTxLonghorn
11-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by coach
is this texas' way of trying to tell us that mac is about done? or are they just doing this so they can keep muschamp from going to a place tlike washington, tennssee. or clemson

The latter. He was most likely gone to Tennesse without this deal. Mack will most likely coach out his contract and maybe a bit longer, then it's all Muschamp from there.

eagles_victory
11-18-2008, 08:04 PM
I dont know this seems kind of strange to me why would Muschamp agree to this if there is a chance of him having to wait like 8 years. Maybe Mack will be done a little sooner than expected but I hope not. One of the more underrated coaches in college football in my opinion.

ziggy29
11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I dont know this seems kind of strange to me why would Muschamp agree to this if there is a chance of him having to wait like 8 years. Maybe Mack will be done a little sooner than expected but I hope not. One of the more underrated coaches in college football in my opinion.
That's what I don't get. Mack's claiming he's not close to done and he doesn't plan to go anywhere, so how do you lock up the heir apparent for an indeterminate amount of time if other big-money programs want him and Mack's not ready to retire?

S_Tex_3A_Fan
11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
In the words of Colin Cowherd (ESPN Radio) don't hire a long time assistant (13 yrs DC) he is a number 2 UT will end up being like Miami when they gave it to a long time coordinator or the Cowboys and Turner, Zampeze, Phillips etc.... Don't hire a number two. gotta hire the alpha dogs. Not that I will mind. when they drop off

sinfan75
11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
From what I read Muschamp wants to stay at Texas and with this new contract and knowing he's going to be the next head coach was all the incintive he needs to stay. Congrats to Texas for getting him set up for the long term.

Panther One
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm an Aggie (please refrain from commenting on the current state of our football program...thanks), and I think this is the best offense I've seen at Texas in recent history. There's been a remarkable improvement in the play calling this year for whatever reason. I think some of it is due to Applewhite's presence and I'll give Major even more credit for the improvement McCoy has shown this year from last. From an opponent's point of view, I'd love to see Applewhite leave. I think he's a great coach. I wouldn't mind having him at A&M if we have another coaching change in five years.

As far as Muschamp is concerned, he's good, but this seems like a knee jerk reaction in response to all of the openings around the country. Let's face it, Texas has had too much talent on defense the last couple of years to be as bad as they were. There are a lot of defensive coordinators that know how to utilize talent, with Muschamp being one of them. I don't think he's irreplaceable and I don't know if I'd lock him in as Mack's successor when he hasn't even been at Texas for a year. This definitely benefits Texas in the short-term. Their defense definitely could use some continuity. Long-term, I guess we'll wait and see.

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
One of the more underrated coaches in college football in my opinion.

underrated? give me a break man! mack's recruiting class is top notch year after year...kinda hard to not look like a top tier football coach when you have the most talented team on the field week in and week out....mack is a mediocre coach at best and a world class salesman. Period. A good coach develops players and prepares them for the next level of play. (cough) VY (cough) They couldn't do crap with Vince until they let go of the reigns and just let Vince be Vince...basically mack and his staffs coaching was hinderin the horns until they quit coaching their all star in 05' and shazam...national champions overnight for stepping back in their roles as coaches. ut fan might be the most annoying in the nation.

swstangs001
11-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
underrated? give me a break man! mack's recruiting class is top notch year after year...kinda hard to not look like a top tier football coach when you have the most talented team on the field week in and week out....mack is a mediocre coach at best and a world class salesman. Period. A good coach develops players and prepares them for the next level of play. (cough) VY (cough) They couldn't do crap with Vince until they let go of the reigns and just let Vince be Vince...basically mack and his staffs coaching was hinderin the horns until they quit coaching their all star in 05' and shazam...national champions overnight for stepping back in their roles as coaches. ut fan might be the most annoying in the nation.

do you need the best recruits in the nation if you can motivate them to do good and play hard everygame? i'd take heart over talent if it won me games

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I hate to bring this up cause of the shalackin I'm going to get for it after the way this season has turned out....but you want to talk about heart, look at the Ags the last two seasons under Fran when they came in and SPANKED the ass of a waaaaay better ut team in both backyards. I like Colt a lot and he is the heart of that team, but it's 95% talent and 5% heart (colt) that has gotten the horns where they are this season.

swstangs001
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM

and if you haven't noticed...since VY was there and mack learned to be more laid back they have improved in the coaching aspect of football

coach
11-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I hate to bring this up cause of the shalackin I'm going to get for it after the way this season has turned out....but you want to talk about heart, look at the Ags the last two seasons under Fran when they came in and SPANKED the ass of a waaaaay better ut team in both backyards. I like Colt a lot and he is the heart of that team, but it's 95% talent and 5% heart (colt) that has gotten the horns where they are this season.

as an aggie i am going to tell u this with all due respect...this is why aggies get bad reps for two ignorant post like this...seriously these two posts were pretty classless...maybe you should revise your sig bc a class act like him should not be on a classless persons signature

eagles_victory
11-18-2008, 09:21 PM
underrated? give me a break man! mack's recruiting class is top notch year after year...kinda hard to not look like a top tier football coach when you have the most talented team on the field week in and week out....mack is a mediocre coach at best and a world class salesman. Period. A good coach develops players and prepares them for the next level of play. (cough) VY (cough) They couldn't do crap with Vince until they let go of the reigns and just let Vince be Vince...basically mack and his staffs coaching was hinderin the horns until they quit coaching their all star in 05' and shazam...national champions overnight for stepping back in their roles as coaches. ut fan might be the most annoying in the nation. Recruiting is part of being a coach is knowing how to recruit. You dont win 10 games as many years as Mack has without knowing how to coach. How is it annoying for saying a guy is an underrated coach when he has won 9 games like 10 years in a row and 10 games like 5 years in a row but yet all you hear is he cant win the big game. Im pretty sure he has won 2 pretty big games this year. 12-7 and 38-31 some real" ass spankings" how about the previous 6 years? Judging by this resonse you must also have a lot of other stuff in the dirt.

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
put the crack pipe down man....that stuff'll kill ya. the horns success is the product of extremely talented recruiting classes year after year with experience at the skill positions once again...let's see...the last time that happened was the 05' team...make sense yet?...you're a mouth breather aren't you?

eagles_victory
11-18-2008, 09:27 PM
put the crack pipe down man....that stuff'll kill ya. the horns success is the product of extremely talented recruiting classes year after year with experience at the skill positions once again...let's see...the last time that happened was the 05' team...make sense yet?...you're a mouth breather aren't you? Typical Texas hater if recruiting was that easy how come everyone isn't doing it? Wow talk about expressing an opinion and someone going nuts on you. People like you are why we cant talk college anymore anybody mentions something good about UT and you cant take it. Im done with this thread I dont want to be the reason the mods get strict on college threads again.

coach
11-18-2008, 09:29 PM
what about florida? usc? ou? what do they all have in common? great recruting classes....what about nebraska? Notre Dame? and Florida state? what do they all have in common? they all used to be the top of college football until they didnt get the recruiting like they once did. Thats the part of teh game and thats why mac is a helluva coach. Stop being a homer and just respect the fact that mac is one of the best. I can promise you that any aggie coach even the great r.c. slocum couldnt have won with that 05 team like mac did

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 09:31 PM
as an aggie i am going to tell u this with all due respect...this is why aggies get bad reps for two ignorant post like this...seriously these two posts were pretty classless...maybe you should revise your sig bc a class act like him should not be on a classless persons signature

What's my sig got anything to do with it? I gave my opinion. If it ain't for statin opinions what the hell are we here for?...i'll be the bad guy because you disagree.

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 09:37 PM
what about florida? usc? ou? what do they all have in common? great recruting classes....what about nebraska? Notre Dame? and Florida state? what do they all have in common? they all used to be the top of college football until they didnt get the recruiting like they once did. Thats the part of teh game and thats why mac is a helluva coach. Stop being a homer and just respect the fact that mac is one of the best. I can promise you that any aggie coach even the great r.c. slocum couldnt have won with that 05 team like mac did

you folks are goin waaay too deep...of course other teams have great recruiting programs...I never said they didn't...difference between those schools and ut is that on top of competing for the big one every year, those schools develop their players for the next level vs coddling them....for the most part ut players who go pro play their best ball while they're at the forty acres while other schools players have their best days after leaving college because of quality coaching.

coach
11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
What's my sig got anything to do with it? I gave my opinion. If it ain't for statin opinions what the hell are we here for?...i'll be the bad guy because you disagree.

i undertsand its ur opinion but its classless how you are doing it and your sig is a guy who has all the class in the world and you arent doing a very good job of representing him as you hero...with ur attitude and immaturity u need a guy like jose canseco as ur sig

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 09:41 PM
makes sense coming from a guy with a disney movie for his.

coach
11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
thats a helluva movie

handNthedirt
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
i'll take your word for it....i'm not much of a movie guy...i'd rather get down with a nonfiction book or pushin my granite vessel of life to it's limits. I meant no disrespect to anyone...just expressin my opinion bout the ut coaching staff.

ps- I seriously doubt Tillman could care less about what a bunch of wannabes and old hasbeens talkin ball have to say.

Electus Unus
11-19-2008, 12:54 AM
No Chris Simms? :(

jambo67
11-19-2008, 04:15 AM
When Mack Brown does retire I think UT will make a stadium name change. It will be the DKR MB Memorial Stadium. A lot of people question his coaching ability but he has a knack for surrrounding himself with good people and for me that's good enough. How many coaches that are considered good tacticians on the sideline would trade places? ...Almost all of them.

bullpen
11-19-2008, 09:51 AM
This is not big news to me other than the $ they are willing to pay for a DC. Will Muschamp is a hot property and a very good young coach. Many schools were looking at him and knowing UT did not want to lose him; he parlayed that into a great payday for himself (Good DC & smart too). By calling him the HC in waiting they can justify a salary of $900K per. Mac is going nowhere. Will M will remain the DC. I think sometime before Mac decides to retire either Will's stock continues to go up so he gets an offer he can't refuse and leaves (tierd of waiting on Mac) or he has a few bad seasons and UT buys him out. A lot can happen in 8 years (and who says it will be just 8 years - Mac could go Joe Pa on us)so I put very little stock in the Head-Coach-In-Waiting title. JMHO

dawg4life
11-19-2008, 09:52 AM
prolly released this so he wont go somewhere else...like tech.

Txbroadcaster
11-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by bullpen
This is not big news to me other than the $ they are willing to pay for a DC. Will Muschamp is a hot property and a very good young coach. Many schools were looking at him and knowing UT did not want to lose him; he parlayed that into a great payday for himself (Good DC & smart too). By calling him the HC in waiting they can justify a salary of $900K per. Mac is going nowhere. Will M will remain the DC. I think sometime before Mac decides to retire either Will's stock continues to go up so he gets an offer he can't refuse and leaves (tierd of waiting on Mac) or he has a few bad seasons and UT buys him out. A lot can happen in 8 years (and who says it will be just 8 years - Mac could go Joe Pa on us)so I put very little stock in the Head-Coach-In-Waiting title. JMHO

I agree about this not meaning anything in reality, it is a way to assure Champ is at UT for a few years

I dont agree that Brown stays 8 years, I really could see him leaving if and when they win a NC again. Also I think he moves into AD role whenever Dodds retires

I see Brown at UT as HC at the most 8, but more like 2-4 years IMO

This is setting up Champ as the HC Applewhite as the OC asst HC

I_DONT_CARE
11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
WHO CARES? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pirate4state
11-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Does it really guarantee anything though? With coaches breaking contracts left & right these days, I don't see why it's such a big deal. *shrug*

JasperDog94
11-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Does it really guarantee anything though? With coaches breaking contracts left & right these days, I don't see why it's such a big deal. *shrug* It's not. At the very least this keeps a great DC at Texas for the next few years.

JasperDog94
11-19-2008, 11:04 AM
...difference between those schools and ut is that on top of competing for the big one every year, those schools develop their players for the next level vs coddling them....for the most part ut players who go pro play their best ball while they're at the forty acres while other schools players have their best days after leaving college because of quality coaching. Tell that to the former Texas players that litter the NFL.

Cedric Benson Running Back Cincinnati Bengals
Justin Blalock Offensive Lineman Atlanta Falcons
Tarell Brown Cornerback San Francisco 49ers
Jamaal Charles Running Back Kansas City Chiefs
Tim Crowder Defensive End Denver Broncos
Leonard Davis Guard Dallas Cowboys
Phil Dawson Place kicker Cleveland Browns
Derrick Dockery Guard Buffalo Bills
Jermichael Finley Tight End Green Bay Packers
Cedric Griffin Cornerback Minnesota Vikings
Michael Griffin Safety Tennessee Titans
Ahmard Hall Fullback Tennessee Titans
Casey Hampton Nose Tackle Pittsburgh Steelers
Tony Hills Offensive Tackle Pittsburgh Steelers
Michael Huff Safety Oakland Raiders
Quentin Jammer Cornerback San Diego Chargers
Derrick Johnson Linebacker Kansas City Chiefs
D.D. Lewis Linebacker Seattle Seahawks
Cullen Loeffler Center Minnesota Vikings
Frank Okam Defensive Tackle Houston Texans
Cory Redding Defensive Tackle Detroit Lions
Brian Robison Defensive End Minnesota Vikings
Shaun Rogers Defensive Tackle Cleveland Browns
Aaron Ross Cornerback New York Giants
Bo Scaife Tight End Tennessee Titans
Lyle Sendlein Center Arizona Cardinals
Chris Simms Quarterback Tennessee Titans
Kasey Studdard Guard Houston Texans
Limas Sweed Wide Receiver Pittsburgh Steelers
David Thomas Tight End New England Patriots
Nathan Vasher Cornerback Chicago Bears
Ricky Williams Running Back Miami Dolphins
Roy E. Williams Wide Receiver Dallas Cowboys
Rodrique Wright Defensive Tackle Miami Dolphins
Vince Young Quarterback Tennessee Titans
Selvin Young Running Back Denver Broncos

While not every player makes it big time, Texas seems to have done a pretty good job coaching their kids up to make it in the NFL.

Phil C
11-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
In the words of Colin Cowherd (ESPN Radio) don't hire a long time assistant (13 yrs DC) he is a number 2 UT will end up being like Miami when they gave it to a long time coordinator or the Cowboys and Turner, Zampeze, Phillips etc.... Don't hire a number two. gotta hire the alpha dogs. Not that I will mind. when they drop off

I don't know. There are exceptions. Coach Engle was a successful coach at Penn State and when he retired they hired his long time assistant who was also successful. He name was Coach Joe Paterno.

Phil C
11-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I read where Coach Muschamp's wife and kids love Austin and he joked if he had left that they were going to stay in Austin. I hope he and Major will be together at UT coaching when Coach Brown decides to retire which hopefully won't be anytime soon.

Phil C
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Coaching defense is not easy nowadays. The officials seem to favor the offense. I notice there are lots of holding and pushing that they allow that probably should be called penalties but they only call the most fragrant ones. Fortunately they do the same both ways usually.

Maroon87
11-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It's not. At the very least this keeps a great DC at Texas for the next few years.

I'm sure that's the real motive behind it...and I say that because I find it odd that a DC who's been there less than a year would get this kind of deal, but with so many D-I openings around, that's probably the only safe way to keep him.

And really Muschamp can't go wrong either way with this deal...he either actually does succeed Brown or he gets a giant buyout if UT renegs on the contract, and then he goes somewhere else and makes an additional fortune.

I say wise move for all involved at this juncture.

Electus Unus
11-19-2008, 04:25 PM
DeLoss Dodds contract will expire in 2 years and that is when I could see Mack Brown getting promoted to athletic director at the University of Texas with Muschamp being promote to head coach and Major Applewhite to offensive Coordinator. I firmly believe that when Mack goes so does Greg Davis. It should also be stated that Mack and DKR are very close to one another and Mack has stated that he does not want to coach long into his golden years as Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden have.

IHStangFan
11-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

I'm sure Mack has talked to DKR a lot about when it's "time" to go. Remember DKR retired relatively young compared to other greats like Bryant and guys like Bowden and Paterno who are still grinding. I 'm sure he looks at those guys and doesn't want any part of that in his "golden years." Right...I agree that's a more likely scenario.

Pick6
11-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Let's see, Applewhite is the RB coach. How are the RB's doing this year? It's obvious as to why Muschamp is the choice over Applewhite.