PDA

View Full Version : Why does Texas Stadium have a hole in the roof

orange machine
11-18-2008, 02:53 AM
There has to be a better answer than so God can look down on his team. Did they not finish it because of money or what?

coach
11-18-2008, 03:30 AM
to have the players feel like they are playing a game in the outdoors but also to protect the fans from weather conditions

orange machine
11-18-2008, 03:46 AM
So that is the real reason? It looks like they at one time were gonna build a roof and stopped half way through. One side of the roof has the bars and the other side does not.

coach
11-18-2008, 04:08 AM
thats what i heard but im not sure

3afan
11-18-2008, 05:53 AM
the extra set of supports on one side were installed for a Garth Brooks concert back in the 90s, the extra supports were needed to support a "special" stage .... really

Rabid Cougar
11-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
There has to be a better answer than so God can look down on his team. Did they not finish it because of money or what?

The first answer is correct. The new stadium does too!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I read many years ago that the costs to air condition the stadium were too expensive and thus the open air roof.

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 08:26 AM

The short answer is so God can watch his team play

whenever they come to Texas Stadium.

GreenMonster
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I thought part of the deal was that it was originally supposed to have a retractable roof. Technology of the day was no where near it is now though and they were originally experimenting with some kind of Nylon cloth (similar to the roof of the Metrodome in Minneapolis) that they could reel in and out depending on weather conditions. Seems like they never could get small scale versions to work so they just gave up. Also, if you can remember back before all of the luxury boxes that now ring the top of the stadium, there were actually open window type areas around the top to aid in ventilation. I remember this because when I was just a little tyke my father took me to the 1983 Wild Card game vs. the LA Rams and we were on the next to last row at the very top of the stadium. It was so cold that day that all of the concessions and restrooms water pipes had frozen and burst. I remember there was a section of water fountains in the concourse that all had burst and it looked like a waterfall had frozen solid. Port-a-potties were brought in and lined up in the concourse for restrooms. Dang it was cold, but it is a day that I will never forget.

Phil C
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
The real reason is as Don Merridith said is they ran out of money and couldn't finish it.

3afan
11-18-2008, 09:33 AM
in the original plans there was never going to be a retractable roof ............ it was studied in the late 90s but deemed too expensive.

Ranger Mom
11-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by coach
to have the players feel like they are playing a game in the outdoors but also to protect the fans from weather conditions

Ha!! When it's cold, I think it's colder IN the stadium than outside of it!!

slpybear the bullfan
11-18-2008, 09:44 AM
It was designed to give the fans some protection from the elements, but still leave the field subject to them.

"The hole in the roof is the most striking difference with other NFL facilities. The truth of the old joke that the hole is there "so God can watch his favorite football team play" has not been confirmed, but the partial roof combines an outdoor atmosphere with an indoor environment and does a decent job of protecting fans from inclement conditions."

from - http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/DallasCowboys/index.htm

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 09:48 AM
The real reason is because the builder was the same guy that built the astrodome and he had in his contract with the dome people that he would not build a domed facility inside a certain radius or range from houston. Dallas fell within that radius. So He came up with the idea of a partially enclosed stadium that would not violate his clause with Houston.

Reds fan
11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
I just thought it was so the peeps could breathe:D

GreenMonster
11-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
in the original plans there was never going to be a retractable roof ............ it was studied in the late 90s but deemed too expensive. Ha! I knew that I'd heard that story somewhere.

orange machine
11-18-2008, 10:15 PM
These are all some good answeres, but it doesnt seem as though we can all agree on the real reason. I think its time for someone to call Jerry Jones and find out. I know he was not around when they built the stadium, but he probably know the real answer.

sinton66
11-18-2008, 10:21 PM
These are all some good answeres, but it doesnt seem as though we can all agree on the real reason. I think its time for someone to call Jerry Jones and find out. I know he was not around when they built the stadium, but he probably know the real answer.

You'd need to call the City Of Irving, they paid for it.

Bull's-eye
11-18-2008, 10:30 PM
I just recently toured Texas Stadium and that was one of the questions asked to our tour guide. His answer was so that God could watch his Cowboys play. I also found out that the roof is not attached to the actual stadium, but supported by beams in the ground. He said the roof will be saved, but the stadium will be converted into a shopping mall.

orange machine
11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Thats a huge change. Go from a football stadium to another mall.

crzyjournalist03
11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Thats a huge change. Go from a football stadium to another mall.

You could make the argument that Jerry Jones turned Texas Stadium into a shopping mall years ago.

Gobbla2001
11-19-2008, 12:42 AM
So the smell of crap can escape... I kid I kid

orange machine
11-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
You could make the argument that Jerry Jones turned Texas Stadium into a shopping mall years ago.

Good Point

jambo67
11-19-2008, 03:54 AM
The original plan was for Texas Stadium to have natural grass so the hole was to provide sunlight. Sometime after construction began the artificial was turf put in. True story.

BuckeyeNut
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
At the time Texas Stadium was being build the Cowboys had a losing record playing in doors. So they left the hole they they could shine in the sun.:cool:

GreenMonster
11-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Ok, I researched this exclusively and have found the REAL answer. The Cowboys were courting Chuck Norris at the time of construction and when they gave him a tour of the new facilities he sneezed due to his allegic reaction to artificial turf actually blowing the lid off the stadium. Insurers refused to repair the damage and the hole was left as a reminder that nothing can contain Chuck Norris.

keenoace
11-19-2008, 01:28 PM
who cares why!!!! knock the piece of crap down. They have a new home.

garciap77
11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Ok, I researched this exclusively and have found the REAL answer. The Cowboys were courting Chuck Norris at the time of construction and when they gave him a tour of the new facilities he sneezed due to his allegic reaction to artificial turf actually blowing the lid off the stadium. Insurers refused to repair the damage and the hole was left as a reminder that nothing can contain Chuck Norris.

I heard it was the GreenMonster http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/godzilla_Clint.jpg
that burned a hole in the stadium!

;)