PDA

View Full Version : Rio Hondo (9-2) vs Devine (7-2)

Johnny 5
11-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Thoughts on this one?

I will take RH by 10 ;)

Old Green
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
Thoughts on this one?

I will take RH by 10 ;) :iagree:

Don't know much about Devine except they are running team primarily. Cuero was scheduled to play them but the game was canceled because of hurricane Ike.

pirate4state
11-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Should be a really good game!!

I'm gonna go with Rio Hondo by 3

Johnny 5
11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
mods, can you add a poll?

pirate4state
11-17-2008, 11:29 AM
9-2 Rio Hondo
or
7-2 Devine

Johnny 5
11-17-2008, 11:45 AM
thx p4s

footballgal
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I am going with the Bobcats by 10

Cats Fan
11-17-2008, 01:51 PM
who has seen devine play??? analysis as far as their offense and defense??

Im going with RH on this one...but dont know by how much...insight would be helpful!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Thoughts on this one?

I will take RH by 10 ;) RH by 9

11TARPON
11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
I see RH in the Region IV championship

IHStangFan
11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
This should be a pretty decent game. Don't really know enough about Devine to make an accurate prediction. I can say that I was impressed w/ the RH win over Ingleside.

pirate4state
11-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by 11TARPON

You might need to get your eyes checked. ;) Devine/Giddings/Yoakum might have something to say about it.

IHStangFan
11-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You might need to get your eyes checked. ;) Devine/Giddings/Yoakum might have something to say about it. LOL....Giddings...ouch.

pirate4state
11-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL....Giddings...ouch. Yeah, they are my favorite to win Region IV in DII. :(

IHStangFan
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, they are my favorite to win Region IV in DII. :( yeah....they seem to be putting things together nicely at this point, and as we've discussed in other threads concerning other teams...."speed"....I believe that their speed would surpass many of the teams to their south.

44INAROW
11-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 11TARPON

anything can happen, but I just don't see RH in the finals..... too bad Cuero didn't get to play Devine (another Ike cancellation) cause we played Rio Hondo and were scheduled to play Devine the next week - could have given a comparison of the two teams. Based on what I saw when we played RH (granted it was the 2nd game of the year) I am going with Devine. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like for a "valley" team to remain in the playoffs..... ;)

gobbler grad
11-17-2008, 08:46 PM
i'm gonna agree with Johnny 5 on this one...RH wins this one... :thinking:

sotex
11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I don't know much about Rio Hondo, but on a hunch I'm picking Devine to win this game.

Johnny 5
11-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Does anyone have any online video of Devine?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Does anyone have any online video of Devine? :) i'll post link later when i get out of work

Third
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
:) i'll post link later when i get out of work

If it's the same one you posted on the RGV forums its from last year. They basically lost everyone on offense and returned 10 of 11 defensive starters.

dawg4life
11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Devine by 10.

They have 10 coming back on defense, and their offense is hard to stop. This is a team that lowers their head in that wing and slot stuff, and can move the ball.

I think the bandera score was 37-33 or Something close to that. I just dont think Rio can play with them.

99IHSMustang
11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Devine is my girlfriends alma mater so I would like to see them win.

pirate4state
11-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by dawg4life
Devine by 10.

They have 10 coming back on defense, and their offense is hard to stop. This is a team that lowers their head in that wing and slot stuff, and can move the ball.

I think the bandera score was 37-33 or Something close to that. I just dont think Rio can play with them.

38-32 was the Bandera score.

I'm guessing they beat Oso by grinding out the clock? Do you know what happened to them against Pearsall? Turnovers? Stupid penalties? That is the one game that sticks out like a sore thumb! ;)

LH Panther Mom
11-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Do you know what happened to them against Pearsall? Turnovers? Stupid penalties? That is the one game that sticks out like a sore thumb! ;)
Maybe Pearsall is underrated. ;)

ol country boy
11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Taking the War Horses in this one.

pirate4state
11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe Pearsall is underrated. ;)

No, I don't think so.

LH Panther Mom
11-18-2008, 10:48 AM
No, I don't think so.
I didn't either but had to throw it out there, just in case.

I haven't seen this group of Devine kids, so my opinion doesn't hold much water, but I do think they will win.

Third
11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I've heard that Devine had like 7 or 8 kids out against Pearsall. I don't know how true that is or how exaggerated that is.

Devine trailed the whole way, came back and took the lead in the fourth but Pearsall scored the final 12 points of the game.

Devine stats from two losses:

Devine vs. Pearsall
PASSING
Roan West 11-21 118 2 TD 2 INT

Rushing
Roan West 9-40
Rodney Guzman 15-126 1 TD
Aaron Baxter 2-5
Dustin Waford 1-3
Roy Ariste 1-3
Kevin Orona 3-0

Receiving
Rodney Guzman 1-50
Nick West 6-51 1 TD
Kevin Orona 3-41
Michael Carson

Devine vs. Bandera
PASSING
Roan West 0-4 1 INT

Rushing
Nick West 25-338 4 TD
Rodney Guzman 18-90 1 TD
Matthew Lopez 4-37
Kevin Orona 2-8
Roan West 4-4
Matthew Gremmel 1-1

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Devine did hold West Oso to 20 yards total rushing and gave up 189 yds passing to da howling bears.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Third
If it's the same one you posted on the RGV forums its from last year. They basically lost everyone on offense and returned 10 of 11 defensive starters. havent posted any links :doh:

pirate4state
11-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Third
I've heard that Devine had like 7 or 8 kids out against Pearsall. I don't know how true that is or how exaggerated that is. I keep hearing the same thing.

Third
11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
havent posted any links :doh:

Yeah, saw that and it was someone else. :doh:

Cats Fan
11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
what I do like about devine is their mascot...WAR HORSES..plus the name, DEVINE.....although it would seem an oxymoron....devine war horses!...still go rio hondo!

Johnny 5
11-20-2008, 07:11 AM
SECOND TO NONE
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Bobcats DBs key cog in defense
November 19, 2008 - 11:11 PM
ARMANDO GARZA | RGVSports.com

RIO HONDO - It's safe to say the Rio Hondo secondary is rock-solid.
Even with interchangeable parts.
The back end of a stout Bobcat defense has made a name for itself this season and will be in the spotlight when they meet Devine in the area playoffs Friday night.
Maverick Hunter, Gilbert Castro, Ruben Cortez and Oscar Martinez are the primary cogs in head coach Rocky James' secondary.
But Joseph Vela and Tino Ortega also step in when needed.
It's that kind of teamwork that's made the unit so good.
"The secondary has played fantastic. They've only had one bad game this season (Lyford)," James said. "There's continuity. They've been together for a long time. They were always sent in together."
While the group wasn't always in the starting lineup, they know what each other brings to the table.
"Gilbert is a very good tackler. Ruben's a good cover guy. Oscar plays both ways and is the ball hawk in the middle, and Maverick is our run-stopper. So everybody has their strength," James said.
Cortez showed just how good a cover guy he is last week at Ingleside.
With the Mustangs going to the air for a better part of the game, Cortez snagged two interceptions to help the Bobcats win a bi-district title.
One came before the end of the first half with the Mustangs driving. The other came in the second half to help preserve the Bobcats' lead (and momentum). Each was a tremendous leaping catch.
"Those came at crucial times in the game," James said.
Hunter, new to the group, is one of the squad's up-and-comers.
Against Raymondville, Hunter made his presence felt with a jarring hit and critical pass breakup late in the game. He also shifts to linebacker when needed.
Martinez and Castro have made plays at one point or another as well.
Then there's Vela, the team's quarterback. Vela is regarded one of the area's best athletes and comes in to play "center field." And Ortega's got skills, too.
"They come in and we feel very comfortable back there," James said.
Against Devine, the Warhorses are likely to go to the ground game, perhaps playing into the Bobcat defense's strength.
"We've been spread out by teams and now we might play closer to the line of scrimmage," James said. "It's gonna be different. But this is what we do."

Armando Garza covers sub-4A football for Valley Freedom Newspapers. He can be reached at armandog@valleystar.com.

dawg4life
11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
2 bad Devine runs 98% of the time. They are gonna run over RH if they dont put 8 in the box.

Johnny 5
11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
umm . . . RH's strength is the run defense . . .

On a scale of 1-10:

DL: 8
DE: 9
LB: 9
Secondary: 7

How about Devine's defense . . . what is their strengths and weakness?

footballgal
11-20-2008, 12:25 PM
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2008/11/20/9/Img/Pc0090000.jpg
Lynn Hermosa / Valley Morning Star
Rio Hondo defensive backs from left: Ruben Cortez, Maverick Hunter, Oscar Martinez and Gilbert Castro. The group is part of a Bobcat defense that will aim to stop the Devine Warhorses in a Class 3A Division II area round matchup at Tuloso-Midway on Friday night.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
umm . . . RH's strength is the run defense . . .

On a scale of 1-10:

DL: 8
DE: 9
LB: 9
Secondary: 7

How about Devine's defense . . . what is their strengths and weakness? STOPPING the RUN, Devine is allowing 104.7 yds per game rushing. They held West Oso stable of RBs to 20 yds :eek:

Cats Fan
11-21-2008, 01:39 AM
CORPUS CHRISTI - Being the home team at a neutral site in the playoffs may not seem like a big deal.
But the Rio Hondo Bobcats sure hope it is.
In the area round for the fourth straight season, the Cats are hoping for a little "home cooking" against Devine in their Class 3A Division II area round game tonight at Warrior Stadium at Tuloso-Midway.
"We‘ve lost the last three flips in the area round," Rio Hondo head coach Rocky James said. "My defensive coordinator Victor Sauceda called it this time and got us the home side. So we‘re hoping to break our area-round spell."
Rio Hondo (9-2) looked crisp and efficient in a 35-14 cruise past Ingleside last week.
Quarterback Joseph Vela had 156 yards and a couple of scores on the ground, while the defense did its part and shut down the Mustangs after they tied the game early in the second half. Defensive back Ruben Cortez had two interceptions and the defense as a whole played well to get the Bobcats the ‘W.‘
Devine and head coach Chad Quisenberry noticed, as they were on hand last week while they enjoyed a first round bye.
"They‘re an awfully good football team," Quisenberry said. "We have the utmost respect for Rio Hondo. They‘re awfully impressive."
Both teams are similar in styles of play.
Rio Hondo is a run-first, pass when necessary team, as are the Warhorses (7-2).
For Devine, running back Rodney Guzman (93 carries, 751 yards) leads the ground game, while quarterback Roan West (879 yards) handles the air attack.
"We‘re about the same type of teams," James said. "They‘re a run team, and they‘re a good football team. Both teams are going to go hard. So we expect a lot of collisions out there tonight."
Quisenberry said his team has fought off injuries this year, as eight starters were out of the lineup at one point. But others have stepped up in their place and have the Warhorses back in the area round.
"It was nothing like we‘ve ever seen here," Quisenberry said of the injuries. "But we got a lot of young kids some playing time, and we‘re hoping that helps us depth-wise."
Rio Hondo has fallen to Ingleside, Cuero and Palacios the last three years in the area round.
"The kids are loose and they‘re fired up," James said. "They‘re really looking forward to this game. We feel this is the year we can get past the second round."
The winner of tonight‘s game will face the Giddings-Yoakum winner next week in the regional quarterfinals.

48minutes
11-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Devine should come out on top, and face the buffs next week. See if they can hold the buff's rb's to 20 yds.(assuming things go as planned :) )

Good luck to both teams, hope for a injury free game.

Johnny 5
11-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Devine will find out . .. as did Ingleside . . . that RH is no West Oso . . .

GO GET EM CATS!

footballgal
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Let's Go Bobcats!!!!

Johnny 5
11-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Do fans of other teams not like to travel?

Rio Hondo had the home side to about 80% capacity. Devine had the way smaller visitor side to maybe 40-50% capacity.

It was the same with Ingleside . . . and they were playing at home . . .