PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW: Celina vs Kennedale

gatordaze
11-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I will start, This one will show how well the Bobcats can Play D! Looks like the best O we have faced including Prosper. Kennedale defense can't stop a strong wind but they put up the points when needed. Should be a good game Celina by 10.

Red50
11-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Where and when will they play?

LH Panther Mom
11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Red50
Where and when will they play?
Celina (D9) vs Kennedale (r): Friday, 11/21, 7:30 pm, C. H. Collins Complex, Denton stadium link (http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=647)

click - stickies are your friend (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=89451)

gatordaze
11-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Looks their RB's combined for about 3000 yds and 43 TD's coming into the playoffs. Wingfield tops the DFW area with 30 according to HS gametime.

This will be a test for Caleb in the middle. If ever you wanted a D1 MLB this will be the week. Hopefully the Dline can occupy the center and guards so that Caleb do his thing. I would rather face a good rushing team than a good passing team at this point.

d0tc0m
11-16-2008, 01:50 PM
This ones going to be a really good game. Kennedale's RBs are fast and tough and can chew up some major yards. Like you said, we'll need Lavey to have a HUGE game clogging up that middle. I may try to come in this weekend to see this one.

Come on
11-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Celina by 14

gobbler grad
11-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Kennedale stays close, but in the end...Celina advances...:clap:

Bobcats by 17...:thinking:

RPF2666
11-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Should be fun. The boys on the D-Line better start thinking about what they need to do this week...TODAY!

bobcat1
11-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I heard Kennedale runs the Wing T. Is that correct?

orange machine
11-16-2008, 07:50 PM
So do they run the ball alot? I hope they do we havent seen to many running teams this year.

d0tc0m
11-16-2008, 09:47 PM
They're definitely a running team. They will go to the air, but Wingfield (i think is the rb's name) does most of the work for them. They're not quite as balanced as Madison was, but they'll provide a good challenge for our Defense. Could get interesting.

orange machine
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
I think Celina will do better against a run team.

CHS_89
11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
From what I have read, the QB for Kennedale is also a run threat. They pass the ball if needed, but mostly run. Real tight formations and lots of sweeps. I can't wait to see Wingfield run the ball. Should be a good one. Good luck to both teams. Go Bobcats!!

d0tc0m
11-16-2008, 11:43 PM
One thing that will help Celina is the fact that Kennedale has trouble with their run defense. They gave up 445 yards on the ground to madison and gave up almost that earlier in the season to madison as well. Celina's o-line can hopefully create some gaps and allow troy and charlie to chew up yards and set up some play action stuff to open up some big plays. I have confidence we'll move the ball, it'll be a matter of stopping Wingfield and their QB, can't remember his name.

charlesrixey
11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
i'm going to have the mods put this up as gotw for region II

:thumbsup:

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Good call rixey. This is looking like a great game. I think it will be interesting as our defensive team speed is pretty good. Caleb does run a true 4.5 side to side and for a 235 pound linebacker that aint half bad.

charlesrixey
11-17-2008, 09:55 AM
it will be strength on strength

i could've picked argyle-kaufman, but this one will be a very big test for our defense

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
it will be strength on strength

i could've picked argyle-kaufman, but this one will be a very big test for our defense

Well our d on their O will be. But our O on their D should be the equivalent of a long day for them. We only have 5 or 6 really good backs to run at them and we still can throw.

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Did a little research and it appears that their D is worse than Van Alstynes by a fair margin. Their O will be very good however.

RPF2666
11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
It's time for the D-Line of Celina to step it up a notch. If they can keep Kennedale's offensive linemen off our backers, we should be fine. If they can't, we had BETTER be able to run the ball all over them...

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Well this will be more about the safeties closing the gap and not allowing big plays.

marler1972
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I just hope our secondary plays well.

RPF2666
11-17-2008, 12:13 PM
This game is going to be won within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage...whichever way it goes.

Kennedale likes to run. Our DL and LBs will dictate whether or
not they can. If Kennedale has to throw because they can't run, I LOVE our chances.:inlove:

RPF2666
11-17-2008, 12:16 PM
If Kennedale has success running, and chooses to throw, too...we could have our hands full....

Twirling Time
11-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by RPF2666
If Kennedale has success running, and chooses to throw, too...we could have our hands full....

If Kennedale has success running against Celina on Friday, I'd be testing the Gatorade to make sure someone didn't spike it.

Caleb Lavey has a chance to have a huge game. If Celina jumps up early and forces Kennedale to throw a bunch, his brother Josh might have a big game too.

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Its like Billy said though, our d-line is going to play a HUGE role. If they get stood up and washed back into our backers, theres going to be lots of daylight for Wingfield. If they get get penetration and allow the backers to pursue, I like our chances. If they're forced to throw and they're not really comfortable with it, we'll be alright.

charlesrixey
11-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Did a little research and it appears that their D is worse than Van Alstynes by a fair margin. Their O will be very good however.

to be fair, their defense has faced a much stronger schedule

RPF2666
11-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Exactly...case in point....take a look back in your memory banks at the Prosper game...same Linebackers we see every week, but the difference was they had to contend with an O-line that was dominant versus our D-line...

I don't expect that to happen, but it shows what CAN happen...

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Are we battling any injuries this week? My dad said Charlie went out last week. What's his status?

RPF2666
11-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Rumor has it, Charlie had a bruise (whew).

Lost a tackle and it looked pretty serious (knee).... we have had to get some on the job training there throughout the season, so that may soften the blow a little...

Other than that, I think we made it thourgh...

Some young kids got a Varsity skin, which might help a little down the line....

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Man this has been the worst year, as far as injuries, that I've ever seen in Celina. Our o-line's gotta step up big this week too. Get Troy and Charlie and even Cody some lanes and we'll have a good day.

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
to be fair, their defense has faced a much stronger schedule

Not really. Most of their competition is comparable to VA and district 10. I took that into consideration. Their competition is only slightly better and mostly on the offensive and not defensive side of the ball. Meaning they have played no one that will try to play d the way we do.

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Has madison been their toughest competition? Who besides them gave Kennedale a good challenge?

TripleH
11-17-2008, 01:45 PM
It would appear by the brackets that Celina will not be tested until the semi-finals.

Twirling Time
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TripleH
It would appear by the brackets that Celina will not be tested until the semi-finals.

Region or state?

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
Has madison been their toughest competition? Who besides them gave Kennedale a good challenge?

They got beat by Kaufman and Ferris and got past alvarado. None of those teams play defense nearly as well as we do.
Ferris flat sucks infact. Would probably finish just ahead of Gainesville in our district. And I am not sure of that. It looks like they are one dimensional and you slow that down you win.

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM

And Madison for comparison sake would seem to be about the same Defensively as Argyle and offensively Gainesville and they stayed with and almost beat Kennedale. It was close.

charlesrixey
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
They got beat by Kaufman and Ferris and got past alvarado. None of those teams play defense nearly as well as we do.
Ferris flat sucks infact. Would probably finish just ahead of Gainesville in our district. And I am not sure of that. It looks like they are one dimensional and you slow that down you win. true

i only said that because the holy trinity of bonham, commerce and anna were in 10-3A-which were 3 of the bottom 15 teams in 3A (27+ losses this year)

12-3A was at least mostly competitive :eek:

OrangeChamps
11-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Celina will be tested this week. Kennedale will bring an answer to a big question for the Bobcats. Is our defense (especially D-Line) strong enough to make a run this year? If we can shut down their run all game, then we will be headed in the right direction. With a team like LH possibly down the road, what happens Friday night will likely indicate if we're up to that kind of challenge or not.

If Celina's D comes to play, they win handily. If the D comes out shaky and gives up big plays, it's going to be a toss up.

Celina - 34
Kennedale - 20

BILLYFRED0000
11-17-2008, 02:51 PM
true

i only said that because the holy trinity of bonham, commerce and anna were in 10-3A-which were 3 of the bottom 15 teams in 3A (27+ losses this year)

12-3A was at least mostly competitive :eek:

True but our district would be equally competitive if we were all Gainesvilles.

CHS_89
11-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Search Youtube for Kennedale Football and you will get an idea of what we are in store for. The Kennedale offensive formation reminds me of Grand Saline. There isn't much room between the O linemen. Wing back goes in motion most of the time. Most of the big yard gains from Wingfield were traps and quick hitters
He's a tough runner that was breaking the first tackle most of the time (highlight film).

They also like to run outside ALOT. Their O-line looks pretty good as well. They run sprint out passes to the wide side of the field when they pass. Should be a good game and as mentioned earlier, a tough test for our D. Go Bobcats!!!

LHexPlayer
11-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Good luck Bobcats. I know you guys will do well.

MN95
11-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but the key will be turnovers. Our D should stop their O more than their D stops our O. We can't give them short fields with TO's.

Has anyone counted how many TO's we had in our 3 losses versus the rest of our games?

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah turnovers, and also stupid penalties will be key too. They've got to cut down on the drive killing penalties in order to sustain any kind of offensive momentum. If they do that and take care of the ball, look out.

orange machine
11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
We did much better on penalties last week. I believe we had 45 yards in penalties.

orange machine
11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Looks like 10-1 time this week. This should b e a fun defensive game to watch.

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
That is an improvement from where it had been, but even that needs to come down. Just watched the highlight film of wingfield. I think our team speed on defense will cut down big plays on those toss sweeps they run. Our d-line HAS to stay low and penetrate though to give our backers a chance on those quick dive plays they run. It'll be a good test/measuring stick for Celina. See if our defense can handle this. Kennedale's wing-t looks like a watered down version of the vaunted LH Panthers.

RPF2666
11-17-2008, 06:38 PM
I just looked at it, too. It was a highlight film of one guy. The thing that makes that offense work is the times he doesn't get the ball.

When they fake that dive and run the option, #1 he HAS TO get hit like he has the ball and #2 the QB has to get hit, whether he pitches or not.

If we do that enough, knowone will want the ball!

bevodidit
11-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Go kick Kennedale's butt!!

Good luck Celina!

orange machine
11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
www.kennedalewildcats.net/

orange machine
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Who is the home team?

BleedOrange
11-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I just looked at it, too. It was a highlight film of one guy. The thing that makes that offense work is the times he doesn't get the ball.

When they fake that dive and run the option, #1 he HAS TO get hit like he has the ball and #2 the QB has to get hit, whether he pitches or not.

If we do that enough, knowone will want the ball!

I must have watched the wrong video as I did not see an option. I saw alot of misdirection but did not see an option. What video did you watch?

orange machine
11-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I saw on hsgametime where Celina is at Kennedale so i guess we are visitors.

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I guess what he's talking about is the option read with a quick pitch? Where the qb reads the dive, if it's not open he tosses it out to the RB. I'll have to go back and watch the highlight film again cause I didn't see it either. If thats the case, then yeah it just becomes assignment football. Someone takes the dive guy. The others string out the option and both the QB and RB should end up on their backs.

BleedOrange
11-17-2008, 09:19 PM
I thought maybe there was another video. The plays are clearly designed to go to a certain place. Not once did the quarterback appear to do an option. There were fakes and misdirections but no option that I saw. I am sure they may have an option play in their arsenal based upon the way their plays are designed but for all intents and purposes what I watched was not the option.

RedraideR11
11-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Celina by 21...

bobcat1
11-17-2008, 10:34 PM
#2 is a nice back with good vision and feet and decent speed. The key will be wrapping up the first lick in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. That will be accomplished by the hogs on our D-Line. They will win the game for us if they do their individual assignments. This will be the critical point in the game. I watched the You Tube videos 2 times and I did not see a defense lined up against them in any plays. Time will tell all at 10:15 Friday Night. See ya in Denton.

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Getting all worked up and it's only monday night! Went back and watched the tape again and didn't see the option either. I'm sure they do have an option read as that's kind of a basic play out of wing-t, I just didn't see it. They're definitely going to want to get the ball into Wingfield's hands cause obviously he's there playmaker. We can't get lulled to sleep and just focus on #2 though, or they'll find a seam in those sprint out passes and hurt us. Going to be a good one!

coachkiss
11-18-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm not saying Celina is going to lose, but Kennedale runs an offense that has given Celina fits. Penetration is a double-edged sword, and sometimes guys take themselves out of a play by penetrating.

Case in point, and I'm sure many of you don't remember this, but Bells used to give Celina fits. In fact, Bells beat Celina in 92 or 93, by running a lot of trap plays. Go back and look at Wingfield's highlight film again, and tell me how many times a penetrating defensive tackle took himself out of the play.

A lot of Kennedale's offense seems to be based on the trap play (which is a staple of a Wing-T team). Don't be surprised to see a lot of worried looks on coaches' faces come Thursday morning.

d0tc0m
11-18-2008, 01:16 AM
So you can't get penetration because you'll be taken out of the play. But if you don't penetrate you'll be washed back into the linebackers. The wing-t is something of a catch 22, you would think more pro teams would run it ;). I doubt the coaches will be showing any worried looks though. They've seen a many a wing-t offenses in their time. Friday night will tell the story though.

orange machine
11-18-2008, 01:22 AM
So you can't get penetration because you'll be taken out of the play. But if you don't penetrate you'll be washed back into the linebackers. The wing-t is something of a catch 22, you would think more pro teams would run it ;). I doubt the coaches will be showing any worried looks though. They've seen a many a wing-t offenses in their time. Friday night will tell the story though.

Ihave to agree with you on this. If the DT shoot the gaps and get into the backfield quick then we should take care of there running game up the middle. I look for Lavey to have a field day friday night.

orange machine
11-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Even if the DT dont shoot the gaps, but just keep the olinemen off Lavey then we still would be fine there. I figure Lavey's number 1 priority is to hit # 2 every play.

d0tc0m
11-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Agreed OM, anytime you get penetration, save a screen play, you're going to clog things up and cause problems. Penetration is quite simply the #1 thing in a d-lineman's job description.

orange machine
11-18-2008, 01:28 AM
I look for us to line up in the 10-1 special and let the hogs go crazy up front. I just hope we dont get to carried away trying to stop #2 and let everybody else go. I doubt that will happen, but it could. Either way Kennedale will have to get there best player the ball in order to win so as long as Lavey can pound him all night i wouldnt be to worried.

d0tc0m
11-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Celina has been known to shut down a highly touted RB. The kid from Gunter years ago, can't remember his name, but Celina put him out of the game early on. He went to the locker room bleeding from his ears. They shut down Elysian Field's star back in 98 and 99. Quan Cosby (he was a QB) was held to a season low. Madison's RB from a couple years ago was held to nothing. Obviously those teams aren't going to be out there this Friday, but Celina knows how to stop the tune of a one-man-band. They won't forget about the other 10 guys out there though, I promise ya.

orange machine
11-18-2008, 01:39 AM
The only thing that worries me about this team this year is you dont know what team you are gonna get. Now i personally do not think we played a great game last week against VA. We did however play a solid game good game. On offense i think we played pretty dang good sense we scored on every possession, but two. The defensive side gave up way to many passing yards. I think that has to do with not getting enough pressure on the qb. I think this team is still building which is good. If you beat a team by 41 points in the playoffs and just played a average game then you doing pretty good. We are getting better each week so i look for us to play alot of football still.

d0tc0m
11-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
The only thing that worries me about this team this year is you dont know what team you are gonna get. Now i personally do not think we played a great game last week against VA. We did however play a solid game good game. On offense i think we played pretty dang good sense we scored on every possession, but two. The defensive side gave up way to many passing yards. I think that has to do with not getting enough pressure on the qb. I think this team is still building which is good. If you beat a team by 41 points in the playoffs and just played a average game then you doing pretty good. We are getting better each week so i look for us to play alot of football still.

I think you hit it right on the head :clap:

RPF2666
11-18-2008, 08:09 AM
To clarify my post from last night, what was on the video was a highlight film of #2.

What I was saying is that there is obviously more to their offense than him. What that is, is a read option. Rumor has it their QB is a good runner, too. So he MUST keep the ball, at least enough times to make the trap work.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that, and wasn't here to clarify last night.

I didn't see any option on the video either, but it IS there if you read between the lines....

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by coachkiss
I'm not saying Celina is going to lose, but Kennedale runs an offense that has given Celina fits. Penetration is a double-edged sword, and sometimes guys take themselves out of a play by penetrating.

Case in point, and I'm sure many of you don't remember this, but Bells used to give Celina fits. In fact, Bells beat Celina in 92 or 93, by running a lot of trap plays. Go back and look at Wingfield's highlight film again, and tell me how many times a penetrating defensive tackle took himself out of the play.

A lot of Kennedale's offense seems to be based on the trap play (which is a staple of a Wing-T team). Don't be surprised to see a lot of worried looks on coaches' faces come Thursday morning.

Simple answer is you stunt your penetration to ruin the trap. Ask LH from the 06 title game. Kennedale reminds me of them with a good quick O line and nice blocking. We held LH to 22 points. They beat us with sound defense cause we could not score our usual 45 points either. Two Good Defensive teams went at it and stopped each other. They just stopped us more.
Based on Kennedale's lack of D it will be interesting. Massey has our D at 128 in state and Kennedale's D rated at 698. That is like a corvette vs a vega. Their O is in the top 100 and ours is in the top 125. Looks like a mismatch to me but that is why they play the game.

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 08:40 AM
To clarify my post from last night, what was on the video was a highlight film of #2.

What I was saying is that there is obviously more to their offense than him. What that is, is a read option. Rumor has it their QB is a good runner, too. So he MUST keep the ball, at least enough times to make the trap work.

I didn't see any option on the video either, but it IS there if you read between the lines....

Who they really remind me of is Paul Pewitt 05. A couple of good backs, good line, without that hard hitting defense. I think we will give up some points, probably 3 or 4 scores. It then becomes a defensive issue for Kennedale and how well our offense plays.
If we show up with our b game or a game we should win. But we have to show up and play.

gatordaze
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Who they really remind me of is Paul Pewitt 05. A couple of good backs, good line, without that hard hitting defense. I think we will give up some points, probably 3 or 4 scores. It then becomes a defensive issue for Kennedale and how well our offense plays.
If we show up with our b game or a game we should win. But we have to show up and play.

Iwas told that Madison had 4 drives for TD's that were 1 play drives and that they ran the same play all 4 times. Kennedale reminds me of the Big 12. All O and no D!

OrangeChamps
11-18-2008, 10:43 AM
From the selected plays in that video, you can see that Kennedale lives off of how well they can block the linebackers. If Wingfield can break through to the secondary he's good enough to make guys miss.

D-Line must rise up. Got to have penetration. Must keep o-line off our backers. Have to play big.

RPF2666
11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Been the biggest concern all year, and will be the rest of the year...IMHO

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Iwas told that Madison had 4 drives for TD's that were 1 play drives and that they ran the same play all 4 times. Kennedale reminds me of the Big 12. All O and no D!

Yeah that is what it looks like to me. Maybe a daingerfield with no defense.

CHS_89
11-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Looks like they run a 5-2 defense mostly. DE's stand up. Linebackers look good and quick. Is this game being broadcast?

BleedOrange
11-18-2008, 01:50 PM

That was not a read option.

OrangeChamps
11-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Looks like they run a 5-2 defense mostly. DE's stand up. Linebackers look good and quick. Is this game being broadcast?

Been checking online for the broadcast, doesn't look like it. You gonna make the game?

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
I am. AFter all it is in our back yard. Denton......

RPF2666
11-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
That was not a read option.

Whatever you want to call it, what the video was, was a one man highlight reel. There are other plays that run off the formation that #2 ran up the middle out of on the majority of the video, they just didn't show any of them, since #2 wasn't getting the ball.

I referred to the other plays, and people were questioning the option I referred to, said they "didn't see any option" on the video.

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Whatever you want to call it, what the video was, was a one man highlight reel. There are other plays that run off the formation that #2 ran up the middle out of on the majority of the video, they just didn't show any of them, since #2 wasn't getting the ball.

I referred to the other plays, and people were questioning the option I referred to, said they "didn't see any option" on the video.

No but it is there. Look where the qb and the off tailback are when a lot of those plays finish. Option read is definitely there.
Good lookin o line.

OrangeChamps
11-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I am. AFter all it is in our back yard. Denton......

and we can take the back roads home, avoid them bears.

Orange Defense
11-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Who is the home team?

Celina

charlesrixey
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Celina 41, Kennedale 21

CHS_89
11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by OrangeChamps
Been checking online for the broadcast, doesn't look like it. You gonna make the game?

Yep, I'm planning on it!

BILLYFRED0000
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Celina 41, Kennedale 21

I think it could be a little more like a track meet. They will break a couple of big ones and score. Against their d we will break 4 or 5.

Call it 55 28.

BleedOrange
11-18-2008, 04:55 PM

I'm just messin' with ya. :)

RPF2666
11-18-2008, 05:01 PM
You are an idiot!

coachkiss
11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
When you play a wing-T team, there are three basic plays you have to stop:

1. The trap
2. The sweep
3. The bootleg

Now, they can run those to either side incorporating the wingback with or without short motion.

Off of those three basic plays, there are many, many more that could be run -- any inside veer, outside veer, midline option, toss sweeps to both sides.

What you saw was the fullback #2 running on his highlight film. Those were the trap plays, and frankly, what scares me the most. Now, penetration will not help you on those plays. The key on the trap play is to block back with the center, block down with the playside guard and tackle, and pull the backside guard to kick out on the defensive tackle that is coming through untouched.

I will give you that penetration can and will kill the other two bread-and-butter Wing-T plays, but there are ways around that as well. Usually you just don't pull the front-side guard on your sweep or bootleg, and have him block down and the center block back. Is it as good? No. However, it can make some hay if needed.

Take this from a Celina fan and lifelong resident who has seen Celina struggle with Wing-T or Nasty Slot teams at times. In addition, I know what penetration can do, because I have coached a Wing-T team against Celina and have been destroyed.

You won't find a bigger Celina fan than me (literally and figuratively), but if you think this will be easy, you are nuts.

I don't want to bring up bad memories, but I will ask you this question:

Where did Daingerfield with all of their speed have success running the ball?

I'm not disparaging the kids at those positions, but I wouldn't be so fast to say that we are going strength-on-strength.

BleedOrange
11-18-2008, 05:03 PM
You are an idiot!

Thank you sir may I have another?

gatordaze
11-18-2008, 05:45 PM

1. The trap
2. The sweep
3. The bootleg

Now, they can run those to either side incorporating the wingback with or without short motion.

Off of those three basic plays, there are many, many more that could be run -- any inside veer, outside veer, midline option, toss sweeps to both sides.

What you saw was the fullback #2 running on his highlight film. Those were the trap plays, and frankly, what scares me the most. Now, penetration will not help you on those plays. The key on the trap play is to block back with the center, block down with the playside guard and tackle, and pull the backside guard to kick out on the defensive tackle that is coming through untouched.

I will give you that penetration can and will kill the other two bread-and-butter Wing-T plays, but there are ways around that as well. Usually you just don't pull the front-side guard on your sweep or bootleg, and have him block down and the center block back. Is it as good? No. However, it can make some hay if needed.

Take this from a Celina fan and lifelong resident who has seen Celina struggle with Wing-T or Nasty Slot teams at times. In addition, I know what penetration can do, because I have coached a Wing-T team against Celina and have been destroyed.

You won't find a bigger Celina fan than me (literally and figuratively), but if you think this will be easy, you are nuts.

I'm not disparaging the kids at those positions, but I wouldn't be so fast to say that we are going strength-on-strength.

If Celina only stops every other drive they will blow out Kennedale! They have a horrible defense. Madison scored on 4 1 play drives with the same play. They cannot stop the run. Celina will not punt all night.

63-35 Celina

bobcat1
11-18-2008, 06:31 PM

And now I think I know the rest of the story.;)

orange machine
11-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I think the Bobcats defense holds Kennedale under 17 points.

d0tc0m
11-19-2008, 12:16 AM

1. The trap
2. The sweep
3. The bootleg

I was going to bring up the Daingerfield game in my last post, but had to stay positive :D. The midline is what killed us in that game. The thing about a pulling guard is if you penetrate fast enough, you're in position to make a play before he can kick you out. That is a big 'if' however. All this taken into consideration, I like our chances against a running team with a very weak run defense. The toss sweeps SHOULDN'T give us any trouble as our team speed on defense is pretty good.

d0tc0m
11-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Even if the center blocks down and the guard kicks out, you've got a one-on-one train wreck coming with lavey and wingfield right in the middle. Give me Lavey.

orange machine
11-19-2008, 12:20 AM
May be i should be more worried than i am, but i dont see Kennedale doing much on the ground against us. We all know that we have has some not getting enough pressure on the qb, but i think against a running team we dominate the line of scrimmiage.

orange machine
11-19-2008, 12:21 AM
I think we shoot the gaps in the 10-1 and that will leave the dlinemen in all of the gaps and Lavey to clean up.

d0tc0m
11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
The more I watch this highlight reel, granted it is just of Wingfield and not the rest of the team, the more I get frustrated with these kids not tackling. There's countless times on here the linemen penetrate right past the pulling guards and have a clear shot on #2 and just let him go. You gotta be looking to hit the star player anytime you've got a shot on him, you know they're going to want to feed him the ball. I don't think our guys will pass up opportunities like that.

orange machine
11-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Thats why i said in a earlier post that i would assume Lavey's main job will be to hit Wingfield all night. Besides if Wingfield is there go to guy and they have to have him on offense then they will try to get him the ball any way they can.

d0tc0m
11-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah agreed. They gave up 445 yards on the ground last week between two madison RBs for crying out loud. This could be a field day for Troy, Charlie (if he's healthy), and the rest of the crew.

orange machine
11-19-2008, 12:58 AM
I dont look for Charlie to play a alot. We had a sophmore running last week Daniel Mendoza. He is freakin good he can make people miss. He is not as fast as Jamarque, but he has better moves. Jose, Jamarque and Mendoza next year are gonna be real good.

CHS_89
11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I dont look for Charlie to play a alot. We had a sophmore running last week Daniel Mendoza. He is freakin good he can make people miss. He is not as fast as Jamarque, but he has better moves. Jose, Jamarque and Mendoza next year are gonna be real good.

There's a lot of others coming up as well. This year ain't over yet OM.

BobcatBenny
11-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I am feeling like the coaches have done a good job of reorganizing the Bobcats and this team is capable of playing and beating anybody.

Sometimes it comes down to matchups. Now, I missed the Prosper game so I am lacking that bit of input. But ... I have it listed as a good old fashioned butt whooping.

However, I think Celina is banging on a majority of its 22 cylinders now. So ... Celina rolls into playoff round 3.

orange machine
11-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
There's a lot of others coming up as well. This year ain't over yet OM.

Im not counting this season out just saying that our running back situation should be pretty good for the next few years.

d0tc0m
11-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Having too many good young RBs to choose from is always a good problem to have.

coachkiss
11-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Sometimes I wonder if I watch the same game as some of you guys.

Honestly.

I can count on one finger the kids under Troy and Charlie who have the ability or potential to do what they can do. I'm not disparaging the kids underneath them, but Troy and Charlie have more talent than we have seen at running back in a long time. They won't be replaced easily.

d0tc0m
11-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Sometimes I wonder if I watch the same game as some of you guys.

Honestly.

I can count on one finger the kids under Troy and Charlie who have the ability or potential to do what they can do. I'm not disparaging the kids underneath them, but Troy and Charlie have more talent than we have seen at running back in a long time. They won't be replaced easily.

Well I haven't had the opportunity to see many games this year, but I thought the same thing when Adam Harvey Graduated. Then I thought oh man there'll never be another Josh Sharrock. Then I thought we'd have a hard time replacing Chase Hall and Chris Torbert. Thats a lot of years of good RBs. Fact of the matter is, in a program like this, there's always going to be kids work hard and step up and fill those voids that look like they can't be filled. Thats how you have the success Celina has had.

coachkiss
11-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Those are good points. You could see those guys at least coming through the system. I see that with Jamarick as well.

orange machine
11-20-2008, 02:15 AM
I see some really good looking kids who can be very good backs. Dont forget we still have Jose and Cody coming back next year aswell. Troy has had to carry most of the load this year ayyt running back. I think we will be just fine at running back for a long time.

BILLYFRED0000
11-20-2008, 08:26 AM
I will say this for Butch. He really knows how to prepare for the T.
I had a car blow up yesterday and stayed home from work. Got to watch the d prep. They looked good and I will have to remember how butch broke it down. Great way to teach the kids how to read and what to do on the reads. And how he plans to beat the reads. It will come down to execution but the boys will know what to do. Can Kennedale keep them from doing it will be the question.

CHS_89
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Fred, I was there for the afternoon practice watching the O practice. Also watched our FG kicker hit a 45 yarder several times. Friday can't get here soon enough!!

d0tc0m
11-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I will say this for Butch. He really knows how to prepare for the T.
I had a car blow up yesterday and stayed home from work. Got to watch the d prep. They looked good and I will have to remember how butch broke it down. Great way to teach the kids how to read and what to do on the reads. And how he plans to beat the reads. It will come down to execution but the boys will know what to do. Can Kennedale keep them from doing it will be the question.

Yeah he does. That's a comforting thing to hear too. Sure wish I could make it in for this one. Any word on a broadcast being done?

OrangeChamps
11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Finally Game Day! It's even starting to feel like football weather for this time of year. Good Luck to both teams. Everyone drive safe and bundle up!!

BILLYFRED0000
11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes it will be nice to actually see what happens as opposed to conjecture.

d0tc0m
11-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Is it cold down ya'lls way? I got up this morning to go to class and it was 16* here in fayetteville. Man I'm excited and I don't even get to be there. Go Bobcats!!

RPF2666
11-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Gametime Temp is about 40* with a light breeze....

Mike Cluskey
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
OK, it's ten past midnight here in England, I wanna follow the game..... Is there a Broadcast or someway to see the score refreshed???

GO BOBCATS

75009Football
11-21-2008, 09:33 PM
5:45 left in 2nd and Bobcats are rolling. 41-0. Kdale only has 1 first down so far. Bobcat D looks great as always. O is doing what it wants.

BobcatBenny
11-22-2008, 12:24 AM
That was brutal. I am going to have to check the brackets and figure out what seed Kennedale was.

BF was right about Celina being ready for that offense. Ouch! :doh:

Good job Bobcats.