PDA

View Full Version : To: Fans From: A Band Kid

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
12-22-2002, 09:58 PM
To: The fans
Subject: Perspective

I am a band kid. I go to practices early in the morning so as to sound the best for the team. I go to band practices as early as UiL possible to teach kids how to march and play at the same time, a feat still not conquered by all. I play MY heart out for MY team because I believe that they can do anything they want while they're on the field. At school, they're students but on the field, they can seem like superheroes. I endure endless ridicule by some Bandera and opponent fans alike. I too ride the same kind of bus the football players do. I work hard to do my best for the fans. The band as a whole works hard to earn your respect, which is hard to earn. When no one is willing to come see US compete (with the exception of certain administrators *cough cough* Mrs Howell and Mrs Schultz for example) how do you think that makes US feel? We work just as hard as the football boys, yet don't SEEM to get the same recognition as any one team. We do appreciate Music Boosters for the bus money for Florida and Dallas and the fund raisers. From the late nights working the concession stand to the food before we leave to go to the game to the all day golf tournaments, we know that we would NOT be where we are today if it wasn't for you guys. Thank you. But let me ask our fans this... where is OUR support sections? Where are OUR writings on cars? Where are OUR fans? Yes we may ONLY be band kids, but WE are *insert mascot here* (Bulldogs) too.

This was written not as to stir up controversy, but to simply pose a question to the fans of ALL high schools everywhere. The state game left me with questions because the only time we recieved crowd support seemed to be when we left our shoes on the field. No matter HOW good OR bad the football team does, they get fan support. But shouldnt the same go for band as well? We're just as much a part of the program as the football kids too, aren't we? So why does it seem like we don't get the same support as they do?

Please take this post seriously and not as a joke because its not to me.

<small>[ December 22, 2002, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004 ]</small>

big blue dog
12-22-2002, 11:21 PM
Most of the Bandera fans know how much work you guys put in. Most of us have either been in band or have a relative that has been in band. And it's always been kind of a thankless job. I'm not saying that is acceptable, but this isn't anything different from past years.

About Saturday's game: You guys were set up down wind from the fans and most of us simply couldn't hear you because the wind was blowing your sound away from us. I was told that someone requested that maybe the band could move up wind, but the request was rejected.

As far as your competitions, since I have no connection to anyone in the band, I simply did not find out about them in time. I know that the competitions were announced at the Bandera home games but usually it was announcing that the competition was the next day and I had commitments to other events. In the past I have enjoyed marching contests.

I know that you guys won some awards this year and I congratulate you on your achievements! Keep up the good work and please don't get discouraged, because some of us do dance along with the music(when we can hear it) at the games.

See you at the games again next year!

JasperDog94
12-23-2002, 12:11 AM
I remember back when I was in band, the football team signed a huge poster board sized card to wish us luck. We supported them and they supported us. Not quite the same thing as the entire football team showing up at UIL but I thought it was a great start.

I don't know if that still happens now or not.

Bandera YaYa
12-23-2002, 01:41 AM
I, too, was in the band in high school and i can relate to what you are saying. I don't have a child in Band, so I don't know anything, but i know for sure in football, the parents are really behind the boys...they work together to support them...i hope you have support from them....I appreciate all your hard work...I was there, so I know what you do....you are right, we should let you know .....Keep that Bulldog Pride!!! Do it for YOU!!!!

bd0707
12-23-2002, 07:37 AM
Let me be the first from Burnet to tell you our Esprit De Corps rocks! The team knows it, the coaches know it, and the fans know it. Most importantly the band knows it, consequently they have a blast. When time is taken to truely appreciate the team, the band, the cheerleaders, the mascot, etc., then it truely becomes the "event" it is meant to be.

BULLDOGFAN
12-23-2002, 08:44 AM
Like Bd0707 said the band has to create it's own atmosphere. The band was asked to move upwind and they declined. I personly never really heard the band. In addition, unless you get the parents to push the program it will really never be more than just Th Band. The Football program was pushed by parents of the boys. They were the ones that promoted them, made the signs, promoted shirts, hats, fliers, Pep rally's, banners, balloons, victory lines, pep rally's, You name it we did it as a group. But it has to be done with the parents. The school will only do so much.

You have to hand it to Dr. Schultz. I don't know how she makes all the events she goes to. She is something else.

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
12-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Thank you all for your support. I did not mean this article specifically for Bantuckians alone. BULLDOGFAN, I'm not speaking specifically about the GreenWood game. What about the games before when the wind wasn't blowing? I simply meant that I noticed it at the Greenwood game. The parents do support the band. I see 3 parents with signs at some games. I've attended every single pep rally, even when it was not mandatory. I don't doubt that we do have some supporters in the stands as I have seen some sit if they must and stand as they want to dance and cheer for the band. But the only time we seem to recieve full crowd support is during the fight song. So the band can't afford to sell tshirts or anything major like that. So they run a small article on the inside cover of the front page of the newspaper announcing our competitions and results. So its last minute when announced during the football games. I simply wanted to share how I felt at times during the games.

I understand that the school can only do so much. And as for having our own atmosphere, why don't you come sit near us during the game and hear how intently we support the players and how much feeling we put into songs and cadences we play. Come listen to the excitement of the band kids about the game and about everything else. Band is about pride and we have plenty of that in ourselves, our school and our football team. If we didn't, we would choose not to come and to not care enough to practice early in the mornings and have sectionals in the afternoon. All we ask is a little fan support thats not during the fight song.

This is still not meant to provoke or offend and again, it is NOT directed towards the Bandera fans but all fans in general.

Blk&Gold4ever
12-24-2002, 01:38 PM
I think the band is great. your right many of the fans and students take them for granted. But there are many that aprediate your hard work.

This year in Clyde our AD and head football coach had the football team meet and cheer the band on as they left for UIL competition. I thought this was a great idea and I know the kids in the band were very shocked and happy.