PDA

View Full Version : about la vega

martwayne
11-16-2008, 11:10 AM
what is this that i hear the la vega coach throws games so he can play certain teams in the playoffs? is this true or what?

martwayne
11-16-2008, 11:17 AM
i see people lokking at this post but no one wants to respond why is that

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I think its because this topic was discussed a week or two ago.

martwayne
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
k so why are others still talking about it on post today

Looking4number8
11-16-2008, 11:22 AM
And also I dont think anybody really know for absoutly sure if he was throwing the game or just not risking injury to his starters.

cshscougar08
11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
It's true. Lorena needed to beat La Vega to get in the playoffs. Robinson needed Lorena to lose. Robinson won last Friday and then had to wait on Lorena to lose. But La Vega decided that the DII bracket was way too difficult so they played their starters on the first series and then put in the backups and JV for the rest of the game. Lorena won, Lorena went to playoffs, Robinson stayed home. And they were NOT happy at all. Obviously.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
But La Vega decided that the DII bracket was way too difficult ...

Opinion? What do you base this one, other than the Lorena game? Is the coach quoted saying so?

martwayne
11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
well if we beat silsbee(navasota) and la vega beats tyler chapel hill then we meet in the 3rd round correct?

cshscougar08
11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Opinion? What do you base this one, other than the Lorena game? Is the coach quoted saying so?

Texts from the La Vega players to the Robinson players.

King_LeYoeNidas
11-16-2008, 11:34 AM
not only that but it's being said that regarding the "thrown loss" the LV coach said he was going to do "whatever was necessary" to make sure his team got a good spot in the playoffs.

Can't wait to see La Vega run into Navasota.

martwayne
11-16-2008, 11:38 AM
me neither cant wait until they run into the rattlers

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
So...he started his 1st team, then replaced them with back ups (who rarely get a chance to play), as they prepare for their play off run. Isn't this what even pro teams do late in the season? If you stand back and look at it from an outsiders view, this sounds like a common tactic to protect your team as the REAL games roll around.

Look...I dont know if what you are saying is true...but from someone who has no dog in this fight, it doesnt seem to be out of bounds.

cshscougar08
11-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree that teams rest their starters and that doesn't really bother me. But they played one series. And the problem that a lot of people have isn't just that they didn't play starters, but they flat out didn't try to win the game. A lot of the play calling reflected that mentality. Such as fourth and 25 on your own 40 and going for it?!?!?

martwayne
11-16-2008, 11:46 AM
who dont have a dog in the fight, i'm from navasota and we just had a bye week this last week so ummm, i think we are still there

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Such as fourth and 25 on your own 40 and going for it?!?!?

I hadnt heard that before. THAT is hard to explain away. Were there other calls like that?

Who-dun-it!!?
11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I have a hard time believing that a high school coach is gonna throw a game on purpose without some pretty serious repercousions.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
I have a hard time believing that a high school coach is gonna throw a game on purpose without some pretty serious repercousions. Though, I have seen worse in HS football, so who knows.

Thats where I am coming from, Who-dun-it. Any coach would know that an obvious throwing of a game would be called out and the reprecussions would be swift and harsh.

bp80884
11-16-2008, 11:54 AM
As I China Spring fan, I am excited about the prospect of playing La Vega as a rematch of the game of the year last year.

However, a lot has to happen for that to come to this point. Point blank, CS has to beat Burkburnett and then potentially Abileen Wylie (or Seminole) and then the top team out of region 2.

La Vega still has to get through Chapel Hill and potentially Navasota and then a potential match up with Cuero (no offense to other potential team, only referencing the potential matchups with top 10 teams).

If the both get through these match ups, then it will be an exciting game and I expect that there will be close to 30,000 fans at that game (or 20,000 showed up for last years qtr finals game here in Waco).

So, having said that, I don't think we have the right to question Coach Williams methods or intentions. He was assured of a playoff spot and had the ability to totally control their own destiny. If he did this just to get a rematch with China Spring, I don't blame him. If the tables were turned, I would hope that CS would want a rematch with La Vega.

Go Cougars, and good luck against Burkburnett.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by bp80884

If he did this just to get a rematch with China Spring, I don't blame him.

Are you serious? You wouldnt have a problem with a head coach actually throwing a game, for what ever reason? I am not talking about playing back ups and giving it your best...I am asking if you really have no problem with actually "throwing" a HS game.

martwayne
11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
no he just didn't want to play liberty hill

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by martwayne
no he just didn't want to play liberty hill

He said that?

martwayne
11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
no he thought his road to the title game would be easier in div I, but he forgot abot navasota china spring ,cuero ,and the list keeps going...

headhunter
11-16-2008, 12:04 PM
La Vega will probably win this week but I hope la vega gets beat like 66 - 0 by navasota or whoever they play.

I don't really blame him but I hope it comes back to hurt him, I would never lose a game on purpose, thats just me, yes he had some decent reasoning, but if he doesn't win it all the blame is fully on the coach.

Buckeye80
11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
If he wins that game and goes DII, here's what he was looking at:
(Just one likely scenario)
Round 1: Crockett
Round 2: Gilmer
Round 3: WOS
Round 4: Carthage
Round 5: Bellville
Round 6: Liberty Hill

I think he ran to DI to give himself a few more rounds! He had a real possibility of losing in Round 2, and didn't want it. He took an easier road.
Are there any chicken houses in Bellmead? I smell something.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 12:06 PM
no he thought his road to the title game would be easier in div I, but he forgot abot navasota china spring ,cuero ,and the list keeps going...

He forgot?? You think he didnt know?? This doesnt add up.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
I think he ran to DI to give himself a few more rounds! He had a real possibility of losing in Round 2, and didn't want it. He took an easier road.
Are there any chicken houses in Bellmead? I smell something.

You really believe that Buckeye80? Do you know this coach or something? Or are you saying this because Gilmer is on the list that he would be "avoiding"? I just am having a hard time seeing the logic in this, versus the ramifications he would face for such an obvious move.

martwayne
11-16-2008, 12:08 PM
lets just see what happens it mite be all upsets

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
lets just see what happens it mite be all upsets

No matter what happens from here on out, it would have no bearing on this topic, which is whether of not he actually threw a game.

martwayne
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
he would not get caught so how is he going to get into trouble, plus why are u all over this coach are u from la vega

bp80884
11-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Are you serious? You wouldnt have a problem with a head coach actually throwing a game, for what ever reason? I am not talking about playing back ups and giving it your best...I am asking if you really have no problem with actually "throwing" a HS game.

when a pro team is in the playoffs and they decide to rest starters for a run, it is ok.

In the preseason the starters are rested because they want them healthy for the regular season it is ok.

This is my logic. Additionally, we do not have the right to say they "threw" the game. We do not know the details surrounding the decision and therefore have no right to pass judgement one way or the other.

Additionally, if they went to DII, they would have a difficult path to the championship as well (Cleveland, WO-S, Gilmaer) and that would only get them to the finals. So, either bracket is difficult, albeit that the DI is 1 game shorter.

We do not bash people on this board, and I think all that say Coach Williams "threw" a game it not fair. Let's support the team in a positive manner and if the coach did something that was not up to par I am sure the school, the school board, and the fans will handle that.

Looking4number8
11-16-2008, 12:15 PM
I just am having a hard time seeing the logic in this, versus the ramifications he would face for such an obvious move.

I am pretty mush with you wimbro... although if the text messages are true.. that could be bad.

Also if he did throw the game for a better chance at a title, I guess that is his right. I by no way agree with it but who am i to say. I dont know the coach or the situtation.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 12:18 PM
he would not get caught so how is he going to get into trouble, plus why are u all over this coach are u from la vega

Martwayne...look at my name...I am from Wimberley. I know nothing about this school, coach or team. I know nothing about the rivalries of the district. We arent even in the play offs this year.

I am just a reader on this board who sees accusations that seem awfully harsh and damning, with very little evidence to back it up..except for the facts that he pulled his starters, and that someone told someone that someone got a text message from someone that said something that no one else saw.

I think the question is...why are YOU making such accusations? What is your affiliation to this issue?

CenTexSports
11-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I think coaches give less than maximum effort in games late in the season (the La Vega example for one). There have been many polls on here that have asked which you would rather have
1) a team the consistently makes the playoffs
2) a state championship

If memory serves me correctly, the overwhelming answer was a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. This coach made a coaching decision on how his team could best get there (a decesion I don't like).

BUT, is it much different than the coach last year that choose to go for 2 point and the win at the state championship instead of one point to guarentee an overtime?

One thing I can tell you is that coaching today is not the coaching of our era (I am 54) or those before us. These coaches make very good money and the decisions are based as much on what is best for them as it is on what is best for a particular game.

Buckeye80
11-16-2008, 12:20 PM
You really believe that Buckeye80? Do you know this coach or something? Or are you saying this because Gilmer is on the list that he would be "avoiding"? I just am having a hard time seeing the logic in this, versus the ramifications he would face for such an obvious move.

Ok. You used the NFL reference, when teams rest key players after their playoff spot is guaranteed. Every time this occurs, the game in which they rest the players has no effect on the playoff seeding.
In this case, La Vega was assured of a playoff spot. It was not the same spot regardless of the outcome of the Lorena game.
Don't make me sound like such a homer. This is common sense. And yes I believe this came into play. "If we go D1, we most likely play Chapel Hill in the second round. If we go D2, we most likely play Gilmer in the second round. Gilmer beat Chapel Hill 35-6. We'll take Chapel Hill."
I'm not trying to flatter Gilmer. I'm just telling you what makes sense.

Gobbla2001
11-16-2008, 12:21 PM
he may have a point... I picked WLV to get out of Reg. 3 so maybe it is easier...

I think WLV would have been dangerous in D2 though... he just didn't want his starters gettin' hurt... my opinion...

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Ok. You used the NFL reference, when teams rest key players after their playoff spot is guaranteed. Every time this occurs, the game in which they rest the players has no effect on the playoff seeding.
In this case, La Vega was assured of a playoff spot. It was not the same spot regardless of the outcome of the Lorena game.
Don't make me sound like such a homer. This is common sense. And yes I believe this came into play. "If we go D1, we most likely play Chapel Hill in the second round. If we go D2, we most likely play Gilmer in the second round. Gilmer beat Chapel Hill 35-6. We'll take Chapel Hill."
I'm not trying to flatter Gilmer. I'm just telling you what makes sense.

OK Buckeye80...I hear you. By the way, it does happen in the pro's that a team already seeded rests its players in a game that DOES in fact affect their possible opponents in the play offs...but i see your point.

I am not sure I agree with you that "it makes sense". This allegation is similar (but not as damning) as cheating to win...if you say winning is everything and the only thing, then it makes "sense" to cheat. But it doesnt...and based on that, this doesnt make sense to me. If true, this would reflect very badly on the character of a coach, which is extremely important.

Buckeye80
11-16-2008, 12:39 PM
OK Buckeye80...I hear you. By the way, it does happen in the pro's that a team already seeded rests its players in a game that DOES in fact affect their possible opponents in the play offs...but i see your point.

I am not sure I agree with you that "it makes sense". This allegation is similar (but not as damning) as cheating to win...if you say winning is everything and the only thing, then it makes "sense" to cheat. But it doesnt...and based on that, this doesnt make sense to me. If true, this would reflect very badly on the character of a coach, which is extremely important.

Hey! I don't know the guy. He might be pulling homeless quadriplegic orphan babies out of a burning hospital right now! I'm just saying that in this case, it's a bad call if you consider the perception that goes along with it.
Perception is that this guy lost on purpose to take an easier road to his goal.
There is no way to prove or disprove anything here. What are we gonna do? Is the DL gonna start a petition to hook the guy up to a polygraph? If he did lose on purpose, he's a piece of crap. If he was resting key players, and his JV couldn't cut the mustard, then he's just not very smart.
Either way, he's not invited to my house for Thanksgiving!;)

Who-dun-it!!?
11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Martwayne...look at my name...I am from Wimberley. I know nothing about this school, coach or team. I know nothing about the rivalries of the district. We arent even in the play offs this year.

I am just a reader on this board who sees accusations that seem awfully harsh and damning, with very little evidence to back it up..except for the facts that he pulled his starters, and that someone told someone that someone got a text message from someone that said something that no one else saw.

I think the question is...why are YOU making such accusations? What is your affiliation to this issue? :thinking: :thumbsup:

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Either way, he's not invited to my house for Thanksgiving!;)

Now don't go getting all crazy on us just as the holiday season rolls around...