11-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Who wins and why?

Gobbla2001
11-16-2008, 09:24 AM
I'll go with Bandera...

too much size I'm thinkin...

sinton66
11-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Bandera has a field day vs LaFeria. Their 3-0 win over Robstown is roughly equivalent to a stats advancement in the old days. Next round they usually get their butts kicked.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Didnt know Robstown could play defense, La Feria manage a FG late in the 4th qtr to win it. But they did held a decent Robstown offense to 0 points.

Bandera passing attack should put this game away early.

Bandera 45 La Feria 14

sinton66
11-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking more like 60+ to 14.

Gobbla2001
11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
35-7

dawg4life
11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
61-14. Bandera puts em away early

Old Green
11-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Bandera has more size and the skill players for the Lions

R4Editor
11-16-2008, 02:36 PM
This one is gonna get U-G-L-Y.

Bandera rolls on to face the winner of Sealy/Cuero!

headhunter
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Bandera wins big 55-7

LaFeria will be over-matched in speed and size. The only way this game is not a blow out is if Bandera turns the ball over a lot.

gobbler grad
11-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by R4Editor
This one is gonna get U-G-L-Y.

Bandera rolls on to face the winner of Sealy/Cuero!

I agree with ya...:thinking: not sure what LaFeria has, but don't think they can run with Bandera for 4 qtrs.

bandera7
11-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Size wont be the issue here...our line is actually quite small. Good, but small little scrappy guys. Speed has been the word in Bandera this year. Its a new sound, but it sounds so nice

dawg4life
11-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
Size wont be the issue here...our line is actually quite small. Good, but small little scrappy guys. Speed has been the word in Bandera this year. Its a new sound, but it sounds so nice

true. We have an OT about 265. But the rest are under 200. None of em are over 6 foot.

The defensive side is a bit bigger with an all state powerlifter. But Bandera is mostly speed.

Johnny 5
11-17-2008, 09:30 AM
La Feria is very very good against the run. I you want to beat them, it will be using the pass.

That said . . . their QB is not very good throwing the ball, so they run . . . but very mediocre running.

Red&White_9x5
11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Bandera wins this one by a LANDSLIDE.

dawg4life
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
La Feria is very very good against the run. I you want to beat them, it will be using the pass.

That said . . . their QB is not very good throwing the ball, so they run . . . but very mediocre running.

ummm....cole hubble can throw the ball through a brick wall. True he likes to run, but idk why people think he cant pass.

Johnny 5
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
If you say so . . .

footballgal
11-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Johnny, remember La Feria has two QBs, that they rotate. Collie Long and Raul Bowman, I think they both do a real good job.

If I have learned anything after many years of watching HS football is it's all about how they match-up....I have no idea about Bandera, but I am hoping the Lions get the upset, they are a young bunch and continue to get better week after week.

Third
11-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dawg4life
true. We have an OT about 265. But the rest are under 200. None of em are over 6 foot.

The defensive side is a bit bigger with an all state powerlifter. But Bandera is mostly speed.

I've got to agree. When Pearsall played them and Bandera came out on the field it was funny how small they were...until they started playing. That team can move the ball and Hubble had all day to pass.

Bandera wins this one easily.

Third
11-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
If you say so . . .

Cole Hubble stats:
1,489 yards rushing 15 TDs
1,954 yards passing 30 TDs 5 INTs
3,443 total yards.

There's a reason Texas is looking at this kid, and he's only a junior. :eek:

Johnny 5
11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Wires crossed . . .

I thought you were talking about La Feria's QB.

My bad

Corn Cob
11-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Bandera in a Blowout!
The Valley is "no a la buena"!

bandera7
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree Cole Hubble is a better thrower than he is typically given credit for, but at the same time...being able to throw through a brick wall doesnt matter if you cant hit the wall.

footballgal
11-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Corn Cob
Bandera in a Blowout!
Ok :thinking: - someone please translate.

Third
11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Ok :thinking: - someone please translate.

The Valley is no to the good one? :thinking: Beats me.

IHStangFan
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Bandera by a bunch.

44INAROW
11-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Going with Bandera by 21.. Stays close until 3rd quarter....

sinton66
11-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Bandera by as much as they want.

sotex
11-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Bandera wins big.

dawg4life
11-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Bandera by as much as they want.

I like that thought.

gobbler grad
11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Corn Cob
Bandera in a Blowout!

kinda thought Robstown would have been playing this week, but weirder (is that a word) things will happen...:eek: just don't see LaFeria keeping up with Bandera...LaFeria fans headed south early...:thinking::wave: :wave:

sinton66
11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Mark this down folks. Back in the old days, when a team would advance on stats because of a tie, they usually (about 9 out of 10 times) would get beat the next week(You CAN'T get a tie anymore). This happens because the level of competition increases with each step. La Feria's LATE fourth quarter field goal for a 3-0 victory over Robstown is pretty much the same scenario.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Mark this down folks. Back in the old days, when a team would advance on stats because of a tie, they usually (about 9 out of 10 times) would get beat the next week(You CAN'T get a tie anymore). This happens because the level of competition increases with each step. La Feria's LATE fourth quarter field goal for a 3-0 victory over Robstown is pretty much the same scenario. I'm leaning to a closer game that what everybody here is thinking, La Feria wont get overpowered and the speed i dont think is that much more than La Feria. La Feria has a good defense and defense keeps you in games. La Feria does have problems offensively as it showed against a average Robstown defense. Closer game but Bandera should still have this game in hand by the 4th qtr. Bandera 28 La Feria 10

sinton66
11-18-2008, 10:42 PM
I seem to remember La Feria being in this round back in 2001.....:thinking:

(of course that was against the D1 runner-up that year)

dawg4life
11-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
I'm leaning to a closer game that what everybody here is thinking, La Feria wont get overpowered and the speed i dont think is that much more than La Feria. La Feria has a good defense and defense keeps you in games. La Feria does have problems offensively as it showed against a average Robstown defense. Closer game but Bandera should still have this game in hand by the 4th qtr. Bandera 28 La Feria 10

no...no...IDK how good La Feria's Defense is, but from what I heard...its not that good. Their end and corner is very weak. Although they have great linebackers who can fill the holes fast, I just dont see the secondary keeping up with all of those fast WR's. Maybe they can keep up with 1, but not all of em.

Bandera scored 20 on Llano and Hondo in the first quarter. I dont think La Feria's D is better than Llano's and Hondo's.

footballgal
11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
DEFENSIVE PRIDE
Comments 1 | Recommend 0
Lions' defense major factor behind team's turnaround
November 18, 2008 - 10:50 PM
ARMANDO GARZA
RGVSports.com

http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2008/11/19/17/Img/Pc0170400.jpg
Josh Bachman | Valley Morning Star
The La Feria defense pitched a shutout against Robstown last week in a 3-0 bi-district playoff win. The Lions now take on Bandera in a Division I-3A regional contest at the Alamodome in San Antonio on Thursday.

LA FERIA - The adage "Defense wins championships" comes with a twist for the La Feria Lions.

Defense wins bi-district championships, too.

Thanks to shutting down and shutting out Robstown last week, the Lions are in the Class 3A Division I regional quarterfinals.

They'll face a mean Bandera team Thursday night at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Last week, the Lions (6-5) limited the Cotton Pickers to 24 total yards in the second half, allowing them to earn a 3-0 win.

"As a group, they peaked at the right time," La Feria head coach Elifonso Esquivel said. "Sometimes, you bend but don't break. They didn't even bend (against Robstown).

"They were focused. It was a team effort and everybody pulled together. Everybody took care of their business against a good team."

The unit comprised of Kike Oviedo, Bruce Bauer, Ethan Rodriguez, Brandon Barnum, Joel White, John Martinez, Adrian Ibarra, Stephen White, Raul Bowman Jr., Elias Esquivel, Max Rosiles, Randy Rodriguez and Michael Fonseca has seen a maturation process this season.

Early on, a tough non-district slate had the Lions at 1-4 (0-2 in 32-3A) and scratching their heads. They'd given up 409 yards per clip in the rough start.

But as the weeks went on, the Lions started coming around, and they gave up only 325 per outing.

As a group, they've snared 15 interceptions. Fonseca leads the team with four, while Ibarra has three. Linebacker Stephen White is the unit's leading tackler and Esquivel said he's playing at "an All-Valley caliber."

"We don't have any ‘studs' on the defense," Esquivel said. "But we've got 11 guys taking care of their jobs."

The Lions will have to be taking care of their jobs against the Bulldogs.

Bandera, which has won seven straight before last week's playoff bye, averages 437 yards per game offensively (262 rushing). They also average 42 points per outing.

Quarterback Cole Hubble is tops in the San Antonio area in total yardage (3,459 yards). He's accounted for 46 touchdowns (30 passing). Wideout Cole Hicks (44-854, 15 TDs) is the top target.

Esquivel and coordinator Craig Johnson definitely have their sights on Hubble and the Bulldogs.

"He's a Division-I quarterback. He's a playmaker," Esquivel said. "He's had some games passing for 300 and rushing for 200 yards. So he's the one we need to focus on stopping."

While the Lions have a tall order in front of them, they feel "They've got a solid offense. They kinda cruised through their district," Esquivel said. "So we've got our work cut out for us. But like we tell the kids, we've got nothing to lose."

Armando Garza covers sub-4A football for Valley Freedom Newspapers. He can be reached at armandog@valleystar.com.

keenoace
11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
i am not going with either one!!! I'll take the refs on this one. The Bathtubs vs The Fair!!! Sounds like a good one!!!

Johnny 5
11-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Bathtubs?

footballgal
11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Gooo Lions!! :cheerl:

ma2_85
11-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm gona go with La Feria on this one just cause I want Cuero to be playing some where near Kingsville next week. Gona be spending Thanksgiving with the in-laws in Fal. :D

Fal44
11-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by ma2_85
I'm gona go with La Feria on this one just cause I want Cuero to be playing some where near Kingsville next week. Gona be spending Thanksgiving with the in-laws in Fal. :D

in fal?

oh god, you should be bored to death. ha

Who-dun-it!!?
11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't have a clue but voted for Bandera.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't have a clue but voted for Bandera.

Who-dun-it!!?
11-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
I don't have a clue but voted for Bandera. :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

footballgal
11-19-2008, 11:15 PM
My daughter told me that this game is tomorrow THURSDAY and so they are being dismissed from school at 12:30, so that the band, Cheerleaders etc., can use the buses.

The game is on a Thursday?? Who's brilliant idea was that?? Have to travel all the way to SA on a weekday! Yes, I never even looked at the day, I was just so sure it was either Friday or even a Saturday.

footballgal
11-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by keenoace
i am not going with either one!!! I'll take the refs on this one. The Bathtubs vs The Fair!!! Sounds like a good one!!!

I just got it.. :D

Old Green
11-19-2008, 11:19 PM
My daughter told me that this game is tomorrow THURSDAY and so they are being dismissed from school at 12:30, so that the band, Cheerleaders etc., can use the buses.

The game is on a Thursday?? Who's brilliant idea was that?? Have to travel all the way to SA on a weekday! Yes, I never even looked at the day, I was just so sure it was either Friday or even a Saturday. I didn't pay that any attention either. That's a long way on a Thursday night for a game for the kids.:(

footballgal
11-20-2008, 12:11 AM
The only good thing is the kids will get the very cool expierence of playing at the Alamodome. Plus, I have a feeling there will be a few absent people from school and work on Friday... unless arrangements were made already. ;)

Johnny 5
11-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah . . . RH had early release last Friday . . . and again this Friday.

Hopefully we win to have one more week of early release to play Giddings

dawg4life
11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
The only good thing is the kids will get the very cool expierence of playing at the Alamodome. Plus, I have a feeling there will be a few absent people from school and work on Friday... unless arrangements were made already. ;)

ya. thats what I thought a reason could be. ok. 2nite's the nite. Any last thoughts on the game?

sinton66
11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
wonder if this one will be webcast anywhere?

dawg4life
11-20-2008, 09:48 AM
maybe alamodome.com is. idk though

footballgal
11-20-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.texasfootball.com/index.p...ange_well_id=2

The Invisible Man (1933) 3A-DI, Region IV: Bandera (7-3) vs. La Feria (6-5) (7 p.m. Thursday, San Antonio's Alamodome)
If you haven't heard the name Cole Hubble yet, listen up: what this kid is doing down near San Antonio is rapidly approaching unparalleled heights. The 6-foot-3 junior has already topped the impressive 3,400 total yard mark, but it's the manner in which he's done it that's so staggering -- 1,489 rushing yards and 1,954 passing yards. He's obviously a lock to surpass 2,000 yards passing, but could you imagine a player topping the 2,000-yard barrier in both rushing and passing? Now that would really be something ... I can't even think of another player in recent history who's done it. But I'm open to suggestions.

This is going to be a very difficult game for La Feria to win, especially considering its history against similarly high-powered offensive teams like Lyford (41-20 loss), Rio Hondo (35-17 loss) and Raymondville (49-38 loss). The one bright point would be how well the Lions' defense played against Robstown last week in a 3-0 (yes, you read that correctly) victory. Though Robstown was not a great offensive team, a shutout in 48 minutes of football is extremely difficult to do in the playoffs -- that's a good sign.

Still, though, Bandera's only three losses are to two 3A playoffs teams (both of which are still alive) and a 2A team that missed the postseason through a tiebreaker. Two of those losses are by three points or less. After that, the Bulldogs only played one more close game, a six-point victory in Week 7 over another playoff team, Devine. Despite the fact that it had last round off with a bye, there may be no more hotter team in the state than Bandera. My pick reflects it. Padilla Poll says: Bandera by 12 Jerry's TXFB Ratings says: Bandera by 9 TexasFootball.com says: Bandera 42, La Feria 28

footballgal
11-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Round Two

http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2008/11/20/9/Img/Pc0090200.jpg
Josh Bachman / Valley Morning Star
The La Feria Lions go through preparations earlier this week at Lion Stadium. La Feria will square off with Bandera in Class 3A Division I regional quarterfinal game at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Lions ready for tough Bandera team in regional quarters tonight

By ARMANDO GARZA
RGVSports.com 956-430-6255

SAN ANTONIO — The La Feria Lions aren’t scared.
And they’re not nervous, either.
Heading into their Class 3A Division I regional quarterfinal against Bandera tonight at the Alamodome, the Lions are focused on springing what most would call an upset over the Bulldogs.
“We’re relaxed. We preach having fun to our kids,” La Feria head coach Elifonso Esquivel said. “But we’re gonna show up ready to play and ready to win the ballgame.”
For a team that was 1-4 at the midway point of the season, the Lions have certainly turned things around.
La Feria’s offense began to click.
Raul Bowman (1,430 yards, 13 TDs) and Colie Long (567, 5 TDs)
confidence running the offense. Wideouts Aaron Villalon (34-710 yards) and Julio Martinez (32-496) stepped up as reliable targets during the regular season.
Then the defense started to mature and improve.
Linebacker Stephen White stepped up his game and those around him began to as well.
As result, the wins began to pile up as the Lions finished the year at 5-5.
“We told the kids about 5-6 weeks ago if we worked hard, we’d be playing at the Alamodome,” Esquivel said. “They worked hard and had a lot of dedication and now we’re Bi-district champs.”
Then last week, the Lions were in a defensive battle with the Robstown Cotton Pickers.
That bi-district contest was at a 0-0-deadlock heading into the final quarter.
Kicker Brian Vasquez nailed a field goal to give the Lions a lead they never relinquished in a 3-0 win.
Michael Fonseca and Bowman each had interceptions to end Picker drives and preserve the win.
That win is along the lines of the recipe they’ll have to follow to beat Bandera (7-3).
After a 0-3 start, the Bulldogs come in winners of seven straight games before their bye last week.
Bandera averaged an impressive 42 points and 437 yards offensively (262 of those rushing) per game.
Quarterback Cole Hubble is tops in the San Antonio area with 3,459 yards (1,960 passing, 30 TDs; 1,499 rushing 16 TDs) of total offense. He is a heavy D-I recruit.
The Bulldogs’ top wideout is Cole Hicks (44-854, 15 TDs).
“They’re one of the better teams we’ve faced,” Esquivel said of Bandera. “But we feel they haven’t faced an offense or defense like ours.”
And while ratings systems and prognosticators are picking against the Lions, that doesn’t bother Esquivel and his squad. It serves at motivation.
Armando Garza covers sub-4A football for Valley FreedomNewspapers. He can be reached at armandog@valleystar.com

Red&White_9x5
11-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Bandera rolls in this one. Bulldogs over Laferia 49-17

footballgal
11-20-2008, 04:13 PM
I still hoping to find a webcast somewhere... Anyone???

Cats Fan
11-20-2008, 05:16 PM
dont seem that way!

best of luck to la feria though...hopefully they are able to pull off the win!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
i was going to the game but Sinton pep rally put a halt to that.

sinton66
11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, I may be able to update on this game.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Hmmm, I may be able to update on this game. geting updates from Valley folks

SintonFan_inAustin
11-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by dawg4life
no...no...IDK how good La Feria's Defense is, but from what I heard...its not that good. Their end and corner is very weak. Although they have great linebackers who can fill the holes fast, I just dont see the secondary keeping up with all of those fast WR's. Maybe they can keep up with 1, but not all of em.

Bandera scored 20 on Llano and Hondo in the first quarter. I dont think La Feria's D is better than Llano's and Hondo's. only 14 for the whole game on a 3rd place team from the valley.........no respect :(

Gobbla2001
11-21-2008, 12:45 AM
85.19% of us were wrong here... not a good way to start the poll'd games... quick, everyone go to the Sealy/Cuero thread and vote SEALY...