PDA

View Full Version : The A-11 offense has come to Texas......and it don't work

trojan37
11-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Waco Reicher played Colleyville Covenant last night in the 1st round of the playoffs. Covenant runs the A-11. Sorry Covenant but it didn't work.

Colleyville Covenant won the coin toss, but that was all that went its way, as Reicher breezed into the second round of the TAPPS Division III playoffs with a 64-27 rout at J.J. Kearns Field.

Reicher (7-4) tallied 37 points in the first quarter with 221 yards of offense, but coach Mark Waggoner attributed the win to his defense.

“The defense just completely shut them down,” he said. “We were worried about (their offense) earlier this week. Tonight was our first round with this offense.”

Colleyville-Covenant (5-6) ran the “A-11” offense, a new scheme developed in California.

“There were tackles that they moved out by the (hash) marks,” Waggoner said. “They became eligible receivers. On film, they make four to five catches a piece on little bubble screens. We tried to take that away, and it worked.”

Covenant began the game strong with a 37-yard pass completion from quarterback Dillon Hess to receiver Scott Bixler for a first down inside Reicher territory. After that play, Reicher stopped Covenant cold: The Cougars didn’t achieve another first down until the second quarter.

“Most of their guys, they’ve played just one way,” Waggoner said. “Tonight they played both ways.”

The Cougars slashed through the defense, using their speed advantage to break arm tackles and reverse field on six separate occasions in the first half.

Three Reicher Cougars had more than 80 yards rushing in the first half. Ross Rasner had two touchdowns on 117 yards, Nick Castillo added 104 yards and Kenneth Cluley tallied two touchdowns on 86 yards rushing.

“We knew that their defense had allowed points,” Waggoner said. “Most of the teams they’ve played that beat them have had to outscore them.”

Covenant’s star rusher, Nico Bourgeois, who averaged 125.7 yards per game in the regular season, was held to just 60. Hess passed for an above average 253, but most of that came in the second half against the Reicher backups.

Covenant had six turnovers, including four interceptions.

Waggoner began to phase out the first string during the second quarter. For a team that has had more than its share of injuries, it was a gift-wrapped present.

“It’s a luxury at this point in the season for you to rest those guys,” Waggoner said. “It becomes a war of attrition. You’ve got so many weeks left to get those guys banged up.”

Reicher will play Dallas Lutheran at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Alvarado.

LINK (http://www.wacotrib.com/prep/content/sports/highschools/stories/2008/11/15/11152008wacreicher.html)

mwynn05
11-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Waco Reicher played Colleyville Covenant last night in the 1st round of the playoffs. Covenant runs the A-11. Sorry Covenant but it didn't work.

Colleyville Covenant won the coin toss, but that was all that went its way, as Reicher breezed into the second round of the TAPPS Division III playoffs with a 64-27 rout at J.J. Kearns Field.

Reicher (7-4) tallied 37 points in the first quarter with 221 yards of offense, but coach Mark Waggoner attributed the win to his defense.

“The defense just completely shut them down,” he said. “We were worried about (their offense) earlier this week. Tonight was our first round with this offense.”

Colleyville-Covenant (5-6) ran the “A-11” offense, a new scheme developed in California.

“There were tackles that they moved out by the (hash) marks,” Waggoner said. “They became eligible receivers. On film, they make four to five catches a piece on little bubble screens. We tried to take that away, and it worked.”

Covenant began the game strong with a 37-yard pass completion from quarterback Dillon Hess to receiver Scott Bixler for a first down inside Reicher territory. After that play, Reicher stopped Covenant cold: The Cougars didn’t achieve another first down until the second quarter.

“Most of their guys, they’ve played just one way,” Waggoner said. “Tonight they played both ways.”

The Cougars slashed through the defense, using their speed advantage to break arm tackles and reverse field on six separate occasions in the first half.

Three Reicher Cougars had more than 80 yards rushing in the first half. Ross Rasner had two touchdowns on 117 yards, Nick Castillo added 104 yards and Kenneth Cluley tallied two touchdowns on 86 yards rushing.

“We knew that their defense had allowed points,” Waggoner said. “Most of the teams they’ve played that beat them have had to outscore them.”

Covenant’s star rusher, Nico Bourgeois, who averaged 125.7 yards per game in the regular season, was held to just 60. Hess passed for an above average 253, but most of that came in the second half against the Reicher backups.

Covenant had six turnovers, including four interceptions.

Waggoner began to phase out the first string during the second quarter. For a team that has had more than its share of injuries, it was a gift-wrapped present.

“It’s a luxury at this point in the season for you to rest those guys,” Waggoner said. “It becomes a war of attrition. You’ve got so many weeks left to get those guys banged up.”

Reicher will play Dallas Lutheran at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Alvarado.

LINK (http://www.wacotrib.com/prep/content/sports/highschools/stories/2008/11/15/11152008wacreicher.html) kind of a stupid post to say it don't work...how much do oyu know about the talent on that team? Talent matters more than anything im sure reicher is just way better private school football sucks any way though

trojan37
11-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
kind of a stupid post to say it don't work...how much do oyu know about the talent on that team? Talent matters more than anything im sure reicher is just way better private school football sucks any way though

Sorry to offend you. I guess I'm just "stupid" then.:tongue:

mwynn05
11-15-2008, 02:47 PM
it doesn;t offend me just makes you look like an idiot

trojan37
11-15-2008, 02:49 PM
it doesn;t offend me just makes you look like an idiot

Really. I've heard so much about the A-11 offense and how they were tearing it up in California. All I said was it wasn't working over here. Sorry for my stupid, idiotic posts.:rolleyes:

WylieBulldog92
11-15-2008, 02:51 PM
kind of a stupid post to say it don't work...how much do oyu know about the talent on that team? Talent matters more than anything im sure reicher is just way better private school football sucks any way though
For the last freakin time talent doesn't matter more than anything!:rolleyes:

trojan37
11-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
For the last freakin time talent doesn't matter more than anything!:rolleyes:

Thank you. If you don't have the athletes to run that offense, you shouldn't be trying to run it then.

mwynn05
11-15-2008, 02:59 PM
For the last freakin time talent doesn't matter more than anything!:rolleyes: you haven;t ever coached have you the most talented team doesnt have to win but you gotta have some athletes for anything to work

WylieBulldog92
11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
you haven;t ever coached have you
No but I've seen one without D-1 talent and he has beaten with several D-1 players...

mwynn05
11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Really. I've heard so much about the A-11 offense and how they were tearing it up in California. All I said was it wasn't working over here. Sorry for my stupid, idiotic posts.:rolleyes: not owkring for one team surely in california both teams cant win in a game

Pick6
11-15-2008, 03:19 PM
I've seen 2 different teams try it out a couple of plays the last 2 weeks and it didn't work at all.

mwynn05
11-15-2008, 03:22 PM
No but I've seen one without D-1 talent and he has beaten with several D-1 players... so have i...but to say talent isn;t more important than anything is ludacris

LHexPlayer
11-15-2008, 03:24 PM
so have i...but to say talent isn;t more important than anything is ludacris

"Talent isn't more important than anything"

-Ludacris

trojan37
11-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
"Talent isn't more important than anything"

-Ludacris

HAHAHAHAHA!:thumbsup:

Additup
11-15-2008, 04:10 PM
It's illegal by UIL rules (NCAA) anyway...at least on normal scrimmage downs.

WylieBulldog92
11-15-2008, 04:23 PM
So what happened in the LH/Gilmer game last year?

bobcat1
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM
kind of a stupid post to say it don't work...how much do oyu know about the talent on that team? Talent matters more than anything im sure reicher is just way better private school football sucks any way though :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pick6
11-15-2008, 04:36 PM
kind of a stupid post to say it don't work... private school football sucks any way though

What's the old saying, stupid is stupid does

TigerFan51
11-15-2008, 04:42 PM
:1popcorn: Gonna hang out and see how this one turns out...:1popcorn:

bigwood33
11-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Additup
It's illegal by UIL rules (NCAA) anyway...at least on normal scrimmage downs.
That is correct. I have never coached in TAPPS but they must use Federation rules not NCAA rules. The A-11 requires that everyone wear a pass eligible number on all downs and that is illegal under NCAA rules...UIL uses NCAA rules. Until that changes, most of us will never see the A-11.

Emerson1
11-15-2008, 06:03 PM
The passes were probably just laterals, does anyone have a box score?

VAMike
11-15-2008, 07:47 PM
I have officiated TAPPS games and they used NCAA rules I am prettyy sure they still do or I would have heard from my fellow Zebras that they had to learn a different book. I suspect what that team ran was NOT the "true" A-11. They likely had players spread out all over the field but had the required 5 players with ineligible numbers on the line of scrimmage. If anything, they likely threw backward passes to tackles (who were wearing linemen's numbers)

ziggy29
11-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't think we can say the offense "doesn't work." I do think we can probably say that a coach who would be attracted to trying such a gimmicky offense is probably trying to address a talent deficiency relative to their opponent.

Such a team is already at a big disadvantage, gimmick offense or not, so the fact that teams using it usually lose wouldn't automatically discredit the offense.

NastySlot
11-16-2008, 06:07 PM

it was my understanding that the team that started this A-11 offense used it because they were a small private school at big disadvantage talent wise or at least that was in an article i read about it.

VAMike
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
The coach claimed his team was at a competitive disadvantage as it had to play against schools with larger enrollments. They allegedly had little depth and no size. He took unethical advantage of a loophole in the rules (which will reportedly be addressed this winter by the National Federation rulemakers).

navscanmaster
11-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I have seen both Navasota and Huffman run the offense for a couple of plays, but no passes out of it yet, only QB designed runs. They line the tackles up on the line of scrimmage out wide, with the regular wide outs on the line, and regular flankers off the line.

VAMike
11-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Are the tackles wearing a number between 50 and 79 or something else?

Emerson1
11-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
I suspect what that team ran was NOT the "true" A-11. They likely had players spread out all over the field but had the required 5 players with ineligible numbers on the line of scrimmage. If anything, they likely threw backward passes to tackles (who were wearing linemen's numbers)
Me and you suspected right

Box Score (http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/schoolinfo.htm?y=2008&m=11&sportId=3&propertyId=1&infoType=boxScore&eventId=170149&schoolId=0)

Roster (http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/schoolinfo.htm?propertyId=1&sportId=3&schoolId=1088&infoType=roster)

All passes were caught by players with eligible numbers. The linemen didn't even have rushes.

Whoever wrote this article is an idiot