PDA

View Full Version : This sounds like a great game...

Necks_Fan
11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
4A

Diggs' 5 touchdowns bury Foster

By Jim Levesque
The Facts

Published November 15, 2008

ALVIN — Some mind-boggling statistics were put up Friday by Richmond Foster and Angleton in their first-round playoff matchup, but none mattered more than the numbers amassed by Wildcat quarterback Quandre Diggs.

The teams combined for 15 touchdowns, 106 points and 1,159 yards of offense — but Diggs stole the show as the sophomore ran for 321 yards and five touchdowns and added a 22-yard reception for good measure as Angleton held off a late Falcon surge to win the Class 4A, Division 1 shootout 55-51 at Memorial Stadium.

“It was crazy. It was a crazy shootout,” Diggs said. “It was a great game. I never played in nothing like this before.”

Diggs had the biggest plays in a game full of big plays. He scored the first two times he ventured past the line of scrimmage — each on 70-yard runs — then added touchdown runs of 48 and 46 yards in the first half and crossed the goal line on a 63-yard blast in the third quarter.

The sophomore totaled 297 yards on his five touchdown runs.

“It felt great,” Diggs said. “I had the support from my team. I love my team and the offensive line. They just did an excellent job all night long.”

Diggs was 4-for-5 passing for 31 yards.

The quarterback’s play also was important because the Wildcats were minus leading rusher Henry Josey, who was out with a knee injury.

“Everybody was so concerned about Henry Josey not playing for us, and rightfully so. He’s a great player,” Angleton head coach Finis Vanover said. “But we know the kids were going to step up and we were able to turn Quandre loose and do some things we kind of held him back on, and he really ran the option well tonight. His vision is just incredible.”

The Wildcats (8-3) racked up 559 rushing yards on 57 carries with seven different players carrying the load. Terrance Franks finished with 126 yards on 12 tries and a touchdown, Donnie Foster ran 16 times for 85 yards and Michael Terry had two tries for 10 yards and a score.

Diggs, Franks and Terry all had touchdowns on their first carry of the game.

But Foster (3-7) countered with a potent offense of its own. The Falcons put up 547 yards from scrimmage — 299 passing and 248 rushing — and made a late run at the lead.

Trailing 41-21 at halftime, the Falcons outscored Angleton 10-0 in the third quarter to get within 10 points. Diggs had his 63-yard touchdown seconds into the fourth quarter to put Angleton back ahead 17 points. But Foster came right back on a 1-yard touchdown run by quarterback Luke Tomas less than a minute later. The score was set up by three straight Angleton penalties on the kickoff.

Donnie Foster added a 26-yard touchdown run for Angleton. But the Falcons responded again when Thomas hit 6-foot-5 receiver Tyler Baylor over the middle for a 58-yard scoring pass. The Falcons scored again with 2:36 to play when Broderick Oliver crossed the goal line on a 15-yard run to make it a four-point game, 55-51.

Facing a swirling wind, the Falcons went for the two-point conversion but were stuffed. Angleton’s Phillip Evans recovered the onside kick and the Wildcats ran out the clock.

Tomas was 8-for-15 passing for 180 yards with two scores and ran in two more 1-yard touchdowns. Baylor caught four balls for 174 yards and two scores and threw for a pair of touchdowns and 119 yards. Oliver made four catches for 123 yards with two scores and ran for another touchdown.

“That type of defensive play and mistakes in the kicking game are an embarrassment,” Vanover said. “There’s no excuse for playing that poorly, and we got to get it fixed and fixed fast.”

Angleton will face Houston Davis or Houston Worthing next week in the second round of the playoffs.

Jim Levesque is a sports writer for The Facts. Contact him at (979) 237-0161.

Link (http://thefacts.com/story.lasso?ewcd=ab31947e1f85eaa4)