PDA

View Full Version : LH vs Vernon

Come on
11-15-2008, 12:21 AM
LH vs Vernon Saturday 4:00 @ Mineral Wells LH is the Home team.
Come On

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 01:02 AM
We'll be there! :cheerl: :cheerl:

Bigworm
11-15-2008, 01:05 AM
I wont be there. Maybe it will be on FSN Southwest???

Rabid Cougar
11-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Then come over to Aledo.

Dominicfrank
11-15-2008, 01:11 AM
my poor Vernon Lions. LH is going to be one tough team. This might be like the game Vernon had against Gainsville a few years back where Vernon just coulnt hang but tried their hearts out. Anything can happen.

Come on
11-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Where you at mini_R? You need to start getting out of bed before lunch!

injuredinmelee
11-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Mineral Wells? I was hoping this one would be in Abilene.

Thefan1
11-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Come on
Where you at mini_R? You need to start getting out of bed before lunch!

Hand Texas I've been there come on! As for Vernon well i do believe that LH will win this one in dramatic fashion!

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Thefan1
Hand Texas I've been there come on! As for Vernon well i do believe that LH will win this one in dramatic fashion!
LOL! Good to see you back!

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

I'm loving it, Injured. If we beat Llano Friday night(assuming we'll play in Stephenville on Fri), our coaches will be able to go 40min. away on Sat. to scout LH. I may even try to make that game if it happens.

Come on
11-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'm loving it, Injured. If we beat Llano Friday night(assuming we'll play in Stephenville on Fri), our coaches will be able to go 40min. away on Sat. to scout LH. I may even try to make that game if it happens.

Heck bring the whole team. You need to get a taste of it from the stands before you get run over by it on the field.

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Come on
Heck bring the whole team. You need to get a taste of it from the stands before you get run over by it on the field.

LOL---I'm going to save any more smack talking with LH for the dedicated smack threads.

Come on
11-15-2008, 11:07 AM
LOL---I'm going to save any more smack talking with LH for the dedicated smack threads.

Ok, I just couldn't help it.

VERNONLION#1
11-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I was hoping we would play them at Birdville. Word is Coach from LH didnt want to play Vernon there.

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm very interested to see how Bridgeport handles Llanos Slot-T next week. Also, doesn't Vernon run the Wing-T? That's going to be fun to watch.

I'll be at this one:2thumbsup

Wylie people, ya'll played Vernon then LH in back to back weeks. What do you think?

LHexPlayer
11-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by VERNONLION#1
I was hoping we would play them at Birdville. Word is Coach from LH didnt want to play Vernon there.

Any reason why?

VERNONLION#1
11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Looking at the pics of the stadium on Mineral Wells ISD website it looks to be a nice facility.

VERNONLION#1
11-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I'm very interested to see how Bridgeport handles Llanos Slot-T next week. Also, doesn't Vernon run the Wing-T? That's going to be fun to watch.

I'll be at this one:2thumbsup

Wylie people, ya'll played Vernon then LH in back to back weeks. What do you think?

Vernon's base O is the wing T.

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Good deal, what do you think about this one Vernonlion?

VERNONLION#1
11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Good deal, what do you think about this one Vernonlion? Going to be a quick game with these 2 offenses!

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Vernon knows smashmouth football--they've been doing it well for a lot of years. They know how to stop the Slot-T---the question is can they stop a team that runs it as well as LH. The Lions will need to play above their heads with one of their best efforts in quite a while to stay close to LH and have any chance of the upset.

LHexPlayer
11-15-2008, 12:55 PM
How is Vernon's run defense?

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 01:52 PM
They know how to stop the Slot-T
Who have they played that runs it?

Panther One
11-15-2008, 01:52 PM
That's nice, but I would hope your coaches have more interest in the Snyder-Monahans game and just as much interest in the Sweetwater-Greenwood game. No need to start looking ahead just yet. Snyder is, after all, the best 8-3 team in the state.

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I was thinking the same thing.
But lately i've been learning that "everyone" runs it:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Snyder is, after all, the best 8-3 team in the state.
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 01:58 PM

Which year? Wing-T or Slot-T, 2 smashmouth staple formations, you tell me the diff....

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Which year? Wing-T or Slot-T, 2 smashmouth staple formations, you tell me the diff....

There's a big difference.

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Who has Vernon played that runs the Slot-T?

One of our "gurus" will have to answer the difference.

Panther One
11-15-2008, 02:01 PM
It doesn't matter. The only way to truly "stop" the slot-T is to have superior defensive talent. There are coaches that search for the magical defense to stop us, but there isn't one. You can't shut down everything this offense has unless you are just vastly superior on defense.

There are definitely specific ways to defend the offense and slow it down, and there are plenty of coaches that know how to do that. But knowing how and getting your team to actually do it are two very different things.

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 02:02 PM
There's a big difference.

Other than 1 player in the nasty slot, let's hear it.

saydawg
11-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Bridgeport is playing Saturday.

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Who has Vernon played that runs the Slot-T?

One of our "gurus" will have to answer the difference.

In my original post I am referring to the fact that Vernon, as a perennial smashmouth rushing team is familiar with stopping the Wing-T and its variants---yes, even the LH slot-T. I gave LH the credit by saying that many know how to defense the slot-T, but nobody has been able to stop LH at the level they have been executing it in past years with the good players and coaching that they have had. I hope this reply will clarify that point in future posts and threads.

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by saydawg
Bridgeport is playing Saturday.

Thanks--I had not heard that yet.

Panther One
11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Other than 1 player in the nasty slot, let's hear it.
You're putting too much emphasis on formation. By your logic, every team that runs the spread is essentially running the same offense. Formation-wise, the difference between the slot and wing T is the position of two players. What happens after the ball is snapped depends on the coaches and players. It's not hard to find slot-T offenses that look quite different than what we run. You can do most of what we do from the wing-T. It's not the formation that leads to our success. It's not even the plays, though they are important. For the most part, our success comes from the players in our system and how our coaches teach them to run the plays that we run. It's not much different than other offenses in those terms. Formations and plays don't win state.

Panther One
11-15-2008, 02:24 PM
In my original post I am referring to the fact that Vernon, as a perennial smashmouth rushing team is familiar with stopping the Wing-T and its variants---yes, even the LH slot-T. I gave LH the credit by saying that many know how to defense the slot-T, but nobody has been able to stop LH at the level they have been executing it in past years with the good players and coaching that they have had. I hope this reply will clarify that point in future posts and threads.
You hadn't posted this when I made my latest post, but that's kind of what I was saying. The players and coaches make the difference. Formations and plays are sometimes given too much credit.

Bullaholic
11-15-2008, 02:27 PM
You hadn't posted this when I made my latest post, but that's kind of what I was saying. The players and coaches make the difference. Formations and plays are sometimes given too much credit.

Yep, we cross-posted, Panther One, and we are saying the same things.

trojan37
11-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Vernon, I hope you have speed on the outside. I think we did a good job of stopping the run inside. I knew if they ever went to the corner we were dead and sure enough in the second half here they come with the sweep.

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh I know exactly what you were saying, It's just a pet peeve when people say they are basically the same. Yes they are similar, but in my opinion there is no deception in the Wing-T, the plays progress very slowly, while the Slot-T is alot quicker. You will have the treat of seeing a decent version of the Slot-T this weekend, Llano is about where we were 4 years ago as far as how the offense is coming along.

So Bridgeport is playing Saturday now? Where?

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 03:20 PM

Stephenville, 6:00

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Stephenville, 6:00

Dangit, I'll be at our game.

GreenMonster
11-15-2008, 04:05 PM
4pm Saturday in Mineral Wells, count me in.

LH Panther Mom
11-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
4pm Saturday in Mineral Wells, count me in.
Yay! :)

GreenMonster
11-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Dangit, I'll be at our game. Stephenville is only about 30 miles south of Mineral Wells. If you leave right after the game you probably make it to Stephenville no later than half and probably in the 2nd Q. Considering LH is Slot T and Vernon is Wing T the clock should roll off pretty quick.

Super_R
11-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Stephenville is only about 30 miles south of Mineral Wells. If you leave right after the game you probably make it to Stephenville no later than half and probably in the 2nd Q. Considering LH is Slot T and Vernon is Wing T the clock should roll off pretty quick.

I'll try to see as much of the B'port/Llano game as I can.

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Super_R
I'll try to see as much of the B'port/Llano game as I can.

I'm going to Sweetwater vs. Greenwood. Thursday at Shotwell. Do a little scouting for next week:devil:

swstangs001
11-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm going to Sweetwater vs. Greenwood. Thursday at Shotwell. Do a little scouting for next week:devil:

Here's your scouting report for the offense.
run left
run right
run up the middle

Daddy D 11
11-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
run left
run right
run up the middle

Thanks, I guess I won't even bother showing up:rolleyes:

Not:D :devil:

Panther One
11-15-2008, 07:57 PM
run left
run right
run up the middle
Sounds like ours...

lion75
11-16-2008, 10:19 AM
It's obvious LH should be favored in this game. Can we have some opinions on how much? I think it could be closer than most people think.

sinton66
11-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh I know exactly what you were saying, It's just a pet peeve when people say they are basically the same. Yes they are similar, but in my opinion there is no deception in the Wing-T, the plays progress very slowly, while the Slot-T is alot quicker. You will have the treat of seeing a decent version of the Slot-T this weekend, Llano is about where we were 4 years ago as far as how the offense is coming along.

Sorry, but I disagree with your assessmernt of the wing-t. Just like your slot, the deception and speed depend heavily on who's running it. The two offenses are very similar when run correctly. The basis for slowing/stopping them is identical also.

Bullaholic
11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
With regard to the Slot-T, I think we have been talking a little "apples and oranges" here. When I am talking about teams defensing the Slot-T, I am talking about the coaching staff, and I think many of the Slot-T supporters are talking about the players.

Most good coaching staffs will know how to defense the Slot-T on the chalkboard, and to believe that they don't is not giving credit to a lot of coaches with a lot of experience. The Slot-T has been around a few seasons and most coaches have seen it and are familiar enough with it to make a schemes for it.

Now the players may not be familiar with playing against a Slot-T because they have never played against it---that is another set of circumstances. The coaches have the job of trying to teach the defense of the Slot-T to a bunch of players in the space of a week, and unless they are blessed with a bunch of really savvy, athletic players on defense, it is a real problem. Of course, the same could be said for the spread, or any other multi-faceted offense, also.

Central Point? Nobody has an offensive scheme that is so unique that it cannot be defensed by both coaches and players. In the playoffs, you just hope that you don't matchup with the team that has the smart, experienced coaching staff who knows how teach the right defensive schemes for your offense to the right players who are athletic, aggressive players who can execute it without making many mistakes.

BTW--As this is a LH/Vernon thread and not a coaching seminar, I think LH wins this one by 17 or more, but I would love to see the Lions continue to put up the kind of effort they have been making in the last part of the season and continue to represent 5-3A well.

sinton66
11-16-2008, 10:59 AM
One thing is certain. If a slot-t/wing-t team HAS to throw the ball to win, you'll know the defense did it's job of stopping the running game.

The three best 3A wing/slot teams I have ever seen (in no particular order) were Sinton in 1990, Everman in 2001, and LH over the last two years. As in the Sinton/Everman 'ship game, passing was the difference.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Any offensive scheme is great when run with competency and talent. Liberty Hill has both right now. They won't forever...no team stays on top forever. Some other team will take the crown...I dont think it will happen this year...but it will happen. And it will be due to a fall off in talent, in my opinion.

When it does, maybe it will be a spread offense dominating 3A...or some other scheme....and everyone will say IT'S unstoppable, and will say LH needs to change. This cycle never changes!!!

So, with teams like Celina, WOS, Cuero, etc ... now LH...who have a history of great teams and coaches who have proven they know what to do to win...its the talent of the boys on the field that is the guiding variable. And this varies.

Super_R
11-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
One thing is certain. If a slot-t/wing-t team HAS to throw the ball to win, you'll know the defense did it's job of stopping the running game.

The three best 3A wing/slot teams I have ever seen (in no particular order) were Sinton in 1990, Everman in 2001, and LH over the last two years. As in the Sinton/Everman 'ship game, passing was the difference.

If you HAVE to throw the ball it's usually because you are down.

There are times when you NEED to throw the ball. When Celina threw there 10-1 D at us we needed to throw the ball...so we did...and we had a TD through the air. That losened up the run commitment enough to get us moving.

You have to be able to throw a little. There have been several games when LH didn't attempt a single pass. Passing to LH is like running a trick play when you are up 3+ scores...it's not fair.

44INAROW
11-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Panthers by 28 in this one;)

garciap77
11-16-2008, 11:40 AM

We know that kind of scouting you do.

:eek:

Hide all young women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 11:43 AM
SHUT UP GARCIA!!!!

Daddy D 11
11-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
We know that kind of scouting you do.

:eek:

Hide all young women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not very nice.

:D

d0tc0m
11-16-2008, 12:44 PM
The slot-t is a relic of an offense that LH runs to perfection. And I emphasize the word perfection. Until you've seen it in person, you really have no idea what you're in store for. Celina takes pride in it's run stopping defense, and on paper, the 10-1 seemed like the perfect scheme to stop ol' LH way back in '06. Of course we all know how that one ended. It was tough for Celina's #1 defense in the state to stop the panthers. Now I don't know how that team with Brent Bode and Doug Allman compares to this years LH team, but what I do know is, unless you've played them before, you're going to have to make some in-game adjustments because the slot-t is going to jump up and surprise you.

Daddy D 11
11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by d0tc0m
The slot-t is a relic of an offense that LH runs to perfection. And I emphasize the word perfection. Until you've seen it in person, you really have no idea what you're in store for. Celina takes pride in it's run stopping defense, and on paper, the 10-1 seemed like the perfect scheme to stop ol' LH way back in '06. Of course we all know how that one ended. It was tough for Celina's #1 defense in the state to stop the panthers. Now I don't know how that team with Brent Bode and Doug Allman compares to this years LH team, but what I do know is, unless you've played them before, you're going to have to make some in-game adjustments because the slot-t is going to jump up and surprise you.

very true:clap:

d0tc0m
11-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Least we forget, LH can play a little defense too. I'll take LH by 17 in this one, and thats being a little generous to Vernon I think.

wimbo_pro
11-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Least we forget, LH can play a little defense too. I'll take LH by 17 in this one, and thats being a little generous to Vernon I think.

LH's defense IS THE REASON for their recent success. Their offense has been incredible for years. Kinda like the Bulls with Michael Jordan...points upon points scored in losing efforts...until Scotty Pippen and Rodman showed up.

gobbler grad
11-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Liberty Hill by 21

GreenMonster
11-16-2008, 05:19 PM
The slot-t is a relic of an offense that LH runs to perfection. And I emphasize the word perfection. Until you've seen it in person, you really have no idea what you're in store for. Celina takes pride in it's run stopping defense, and on paper, the 10-1 seemed like the perfect scheme to stop ol' LH way back in '06. Of course we all know how that one ended. It was tough for Celina's #1 defense in the state to stop the panthers. Now I don't know how that team with Brent Bode and Doug Allman compares to this years LH team, but what I do know is, unless you've played them before, you're going to have to make some in-game adjustments because the slot-t is going to jump up and surprise you. Let me guess, LH hurt Celina right in the middle with the quick trapsand the g's. Penetration will stop the outside running game by forcing the guards to block first threat instead of pulling outside. The 10-1 is great at this, but every good T team will be VERY proficient at hammering the quick "A" gap trap, "B" gap dive, and "C" gap G. Believe it or not, the agrressive, penetrating style of the 10-1 actually lends itself to being very easy to trap block. The 10-1 is softer in the middle than it is on the edge. Therefore, I believe that LH had it's way between the tackles against the 10-1.

garciap77
11-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
SHUT UP GARCIA!!!!

:D

d0tc0m
11-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Let me guess, LH hurt Celina right in the middle with the quick trapsand the g's. Penetration will stop the outside running game by forcing the guards to block first threat instead of pulling outside. The 10-1 is great at this, but every good T team will be VERY proficient at hammering the quick "A" gap trap, "B" gap dive, and "C" gap G. Believe it or not, the agrressive, penetrating style of the 10-1 actually lends itself to being very easy to trap block. The 10-1 is softer in the middle than it is on the edge. Therefore, I believe that LH had it's way between the tackles against the 10-1.

Actually most of their big plays came from Bode on the outside. Allman got some yards up the middle, but they scored on long plays to the outside.

LHexPlayer
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Anybody have stats on Vernon?

Panther One
11-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Anybody have stats on Vernon?
Here's a write up and box score of each game.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/sports/high-school-football/1trn/teams/vernon/

Budman007
11-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Whiteside from Vernon is an excellent RB. He's never tackled on initial contact.

I don't see LH beating them 55-14 as Bridgeport did. In fact, I would'nt be surprised if Vernon takes this one down to the wire to remind all the Central Texas folks that there are some pretty salty teams from North Texas as well.

Panther One
11-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Budman007
Whiteside from Vernon is an excellent RB. He's never tackled on initial contact.
Never? I think we've got a few guys on defense who will put that to the test.

Panther One
11-17-2008, 01:39 AM
I don't see LH beating them 55-14 as Bridgeport did. In fact, I would'nt be surprised if Vernon takes this one down to the wire to remind all the Central Texas folks that there are some pretty salty teams from North Texas as well.
If we're +3 in the turnover department as Bridgeport was against Vernon, I don't see why we couldn't beat them as bad. I think your post is more wishful thinking than a realistic prediction.

Daddy D 11
11-17-2008, 01:47 AM
I would'nt be surprised if Vernon takes this one down to the wire to remind all the Central Texas folks that there are some pretty salty teams from North Texas as well.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Super_R
11-17-2008, 09:11 AM

A team that is 5-5 on the season has a running back that can't be tackled...Never...False.

Never? I think we've got a few guys on defense who will put that to the test.

I know one in particular that will prove him wrong.

OldBison75
11-17-2008, 09:24 AM
In looking at the statistics from Vernon games this year, (I looked at 9 games) and Vernon gave up 1989 yards rushing in those games. That's an average of 221 yards per game. Look at these numbers:
Argyle 249 yards rushing
Wylie 204 yards rushing
Clyde 203 yards rushing
Burkburnett 212 yards rushing
Bridgeport 283 yards rushing
Decatur 268 yards rushing
Iowa Park 308 yards rushing

Vernon only gave up 118 yards per game passing, with Bridgeport the only team to really hurt them in that department.

If I remember right, LH is a running team that is very effective. They don't pass much. I would surmise that they are pretty good at what they do since their punter is like the maytag repairman. (That has to be the easiest letter jacket ever earned in high school sports)

Now, I am not the football genius of the world, but I believe that even a blonde cheerleader from California would see that the scene ain't good for the Vernon defense.

Liberty Hill will have 500 or more yards rushing and may win this game by 40 points. I would not be surprised to see a first half like they played against Navasota last year.

Liberty Hill 56
Vernon 14

Super_R
11-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Mineral Wells Staduim (http://www.mwisd.net/97820823112759920/site/default.asp)
It looks like a nice place.

Daddy D 11
11-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Good work OldBison:clap: Didn't know their run defense was that weak. It's going to be a fun game:devil:

Budman007
11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
A team that is 5-5 on the season has a running back that can't be tackled...Never...False.

I know one in particular that will prove him wrong.

Once again the LH folks have to distort my comments to make themselves feel better about their own team. I DID NOT say Whiteside can't be tackled. I said he's never tackled on initial contact. He runs extremely hard and low to the ground. He's the best RB we saw this year and will present a challenge for the LH defense.

Daddy D 11
11-17-2008, 10:27 AM
He's the best RB we saw this year and will present a challenge for the LH defense.

That's about all they have isn't it? Saw in one game that he got the ball 32 times:eek:

Red&White_9x5
11-17-2008, 10:28 AM
LH- 48
VERNON- 14

The Panthers are too much for the Lions

Daddy D 11
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Once again the LH folks have to distort my comments to make themselves feel better about their own team.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't be a :bigcry:baby now or anything:p

Budman007
11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
That's about all they have isn't it? Saw in one game that he got the ball 32 times:eek:

Whiteside is Vernon's Marion Barber. He's a workhorse and extremely good. They also have a smaller, really quick RB that tends to break long runs as well. This Vernon team is better than their record reflects and they improved as the season progressed.
The game may come down to how their D handles the vaunted slot T of LH.

Daddy D 11
11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Whiteside is Vernon's Marion Barber. He's a workhorse and extremely good. They also have a smaller, really quick RB that tends to break long runs as well. This Vernon team is better than their record reflects and they improved as the season progressed.

Agreed, most games always do. If you can slow it down and force about 2 turnovers than you've got a chance to really do some damage against us. But then again we turned it over 3 times against Wylie on the road and still won:D So there's exceptions to everything.

Runnin Panther
11-17-2008, 11:50 AM

A predominately run oriented team will NOT beat the Panthers this year. I have made that claim the past two years and I continue to stand by it. LH is very good against the run. The only kind of team that has a CHANCE of beating the Panthers is a VERY good pass oriented team. Just my opinion, if I’m wrong I will eat my share of crow.

DaHop72
11-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
A predominately run oriented team will NOT beat the Panthers this year. I have made that claim the past two years and I continue to stand by it. LH is very good against the run. The only kind of team that has a CHANCE of beating the Panthers is a VERY good pass oriented team. Just my opinion, if I’m wrong I will eat my share of crow. :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

clemsmarina
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I said he's never tackled on initial contact. He runs extremely hard and low to the ground.

We know what you said, and when we see the word "never" it tends to draw attention to your statement.

Especially with us knowing what the LH defense is capable of doing.....

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2008, 12:22 PM
This is a game that LH should win. Vernon does not seem as strong this year as in years past. But, Vernon does have good coaching and talented athletes. I just hope that we have used that extra week of preparation well. We will need some breaks and hopefully some penalties at the right time against LH. If we can put together the perfect game with some breaks for Vernon we could -- maybe -- could happen -- pull an upset. It would be a huge upset should the Lions win this game. A couple of years ago Vernon took a far superior Sweetwater team to the woodshed in the playoffs. That Sweetwater team was one of the most talented teams I had seen out of there in some time (This is the Aledo stadium game). So upsets do happen and I'm sure the Lion players remember that game or will be reminded of it.

On a positive note, we have improved offensively each week and the O-line seems to be doing a much better job now compared to early in the season. Our run defense is suspect and we should know pretty early on in the game how that will go.

We do have a lot of football history (Not two back to back championships) but a lot of playoff experience against a lot of tough teams year in and year out. Our players expect to win games. Just the same I would stand to think that LH will take the Lions seriously and prepare for a tough game regardless of the Lions record. They have proven to be a great football team on a heck of a roll.

I may end up getting to come and see this game. I'm optimistic that the Lions have a slither of a chance to pull an upset and I will hold on to that notion all week.

3AFootballfan
11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Vernon has a great plan for stopping the LH offense this week. The UIL has given the Lions permission to play 24 players on defense this Sat. All kidding aside the Lions defense is NOT very good at all. I look for LH to move on and later play Bridegeport for the Reg I Championship. If LH is just mediocre against the pass Bridgeportwill win Reg I. They are for real!!!!

Budman007
11-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 3AFootballfan
I look for LH to move on and later play Bridegeport for the Reg I Championship. If LH is just mediocre against the pass Bridgeportwill win Reg I. They are for real!!!!

True words of wisdom!

GO BULLS!!!:clap:

OldBison75
11-17-2008, 12:50 PM
I remember a spread team with a QB averaging about 60 % completions and a good touchdown to int ratio, with a Division 1 committed receiver and two other really good receivers that played LH last year in the playoffs. If you think the pass defense is medicore, you are sadly mistaken. They don't get alot of credit because alot of pass attempts are thwarted by a fierce pass rush. They do play coverage very well and tackle well. Yes, you will complete a few, yes a few may be big plays, but the pass rush and good pass defense will limit you to about a 33 percent pass efficiency. PRETTY DARN GOOD and the best kept secret in 3A.

3AFootballfan
11-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Old Bison, I didn't say their pass defense is not very good, if you read correctly I said IF their pass defense is mediocre they will lose to Bridgeport. I listened to the LH and West broadcast on the internet Sat. and the LH broadcasters kept saying the West receivers were open alot but the QB couldn't get the ball to them. Bridgeport offensive line averages over 260 lbs. per man and will not have a problem getting the ball to their receivers against LH.

Budman007
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Is it true that Burnet had almost 400 yds passing against Liberty Hill this year?

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Is it true that Burnet had almost 400 yds passing against Liberty Hill this year?
No, they had a little over 400 yds passing. And Brownwood had close to 500. And? :confused:

d0tc0m
11-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Sounds to me like Bridgeport should worry about Llano this week and worry about crossing the Liberty Hill bridge when they get there.

Panther Dad X 2
11-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Whiteside has never met the likes of Lattimore and Esch. Hardest hitting boys I have seen in a long time. They feed off of it. "Hit Em Again, Harder, Harder"

LH will win this one. It may not be by 30 points. Depends on what the coaches want. Eat the clock or just plain beat em.

LHexPlayer
11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Sounds to me like Bridgeport should worry about Llano this week and worry about crossing the Liberty Hill bridge when they get there.

Maybe they should also worry about all that on their thread for their game. Unless they can add some info on VERNON.

firstcat
11-17-2008, 01:39 PM
A predominately run oriented team will NOT beat the Panthers this year. I have made that claim the past two years and I continue to stand by it. LH is very good against the run. The only kind of team that has a CHANCE of beating the Panthers is a VERY good pass oriented team. Just my opinion, if I’m wrong I will eat my share of crow.

:ditto:

swstangs001
11-17-2008, 01:45 PM
No, they had a little over 400 yds passing. And Brownwood had close to 500. And? :confused:

and has anyone been able to run the ball good against yall?:D

Budman007
11-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Maybe they should also worry about all that on their thread for their game. Unless they can add some info on VERNON.

I've already added all the info your gonna get on Vernon from me.:)

Dominicfrank
11-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Vernon should be a 30 point dog in this one. Vernon hasnt been blown out much in its history in the playoffs. I think one of the worst was to Southlake in 1996 played in Wichita Falls where SLC was clearly the better team and won easily 30 something to 7 I believe. I see this the same. I think Vernon will realize that the passing game in the key here which we dont do real well but our coaches are not affraid to change up game plans. Whiteside has rushed for over 200 each of the last couple games so there is some hope he continues that wave and helps Vernon pull off what could be the biggest upset in 3A maybe ever.

LHexPlayer
11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Dominicfrank
Vernon should be a 30 point dog in this one. Vernon hasnt been blown out much in its history in the playoffs. I think one of the worst was to Southlake in 1996 played in Wichita Falls where SLC was clearly the better team and won easily 30 something to 7 I believe. I see this the same. I think Vernon will realize that the passing game in the key here which we dont do real well but our coaches are not affraid to change up game plans. Whiteside has rushed for over 200 each of the last couple games so there is some hope he continues that wave and helps Vernon pull off what could be the biggest upset in 3A maybe ever.

I am sure that the Vernon coaches and players will be more than up for the challenge. We seem to get everyones best effort this year. How big is this Whiteside kid?

da bean
11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Liberty Hill- 42
Vernon-21

Budman007
11-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I am sure that the Vernon coaches and players will be more than up for the challenge. We seem to get everyones best effort this year. How big is this Whiteside kid?

Big enough to run over anybody on the LH defense!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Vernon seems to have several quality running backs every year.

Former running back Bernard Scott will be playing in the second round of the NCAA Division II playoffs Saturday as part of ACU's #2 Nationally ranked Wildcats. Aston Whiteside who was another one of Vernon's great backs plays on the same team but plays DE.

da bean
11-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Big enough to run over anybody on the LH defense!

the d-line and lattimore will knock him in the dirt!

whiteside under 30 yards

and if you proof they can do it they held pratt to 17 yards last year

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by da bean

whiteside under 30 yards

I believe it is field turf and there is no dirt there to be knocked into.

Tailback
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
LH wins big.

da bean
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I believe it is field turf and there is no dirt there to be knocked into.

we'll knock his **** in the turf then!

ronwx5x
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM

whiteside under 30 yards

Nothing quite like watching high schoolers go at one another, whether in a football game or in a football forum! Where else can someone get so much entertainment for so little $?

Thanks to the 3A Downlow for making half of it possible.

:) :)

DaHop72
11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
we'll knock his **** in the turf then! You stay classy da bean. :doh:

da bean
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
You stay classy da bean. :doh:

just got a lil carried away sorry

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
:)

Budman007
11-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
You stay classy da bean. :doh:

Now that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one!:rolleyes:

wimbo_pro
11-17-2008, 04:18 PM
We seem to get everyones best effort this year.

Weeelllllll....not quite. There was one team who gave you their worst effort by far.:(

LHexPlayer
11-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Weeelllllll....not quite. There was one team who gave you their worst effort by far.:(

And who would that be?

wimbo_pro
11-17-2008, 04:52 PM
And who would that be?

Oh shut up.

LHexPlayer
11-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh shut up.

Shut up Wimpy_hill

solocam
11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Cats by 32

lion75
11-17-2008, 06:27 PM
No one from Vernon is on here talking smack. Who designated Bridgeport as the official smack talkers for the Vernon Lions?

Panther One
11-17-2008, 07:13 PM
How about some stats...

LH Opponents

Pass
105-224-1735yds 11int 18tds
157.73yds/g, 7.75yds/att

Rush
272-797yds 6tds
72.45yds/g, 2.93yds/att

Total
496-2532yds
230.18yds/g, 5.10yds/play

Liberty Hill

Pass
14-27-371yds 1int 3tds
33.73yds/g, 13.74yds/att

Rush
570-4658yds 55tds
423.45yds/g, 8.17yds/att

Total
597-5029yds
457.18yds/g, 8.42yds/play

Bullaholic
11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by lion75
No one from Vernon is on here talking smack. Who designated Bridgeport as the official smack talkers for the Vernon Lions?

Which post are you referring to?

Panther One
11-17-2008, 07:55 PM
More stats...

Vernon Opponents

Pass
78-159-1151yds 12int 8tds
115.10yds/g, 7.29yds/att

Rush
350-2119yds 23tds
211.90yds/g, 6.05yds/att

Total
509-3270yds
327.00yds/g, 6.42yds/play

Vernon

Pass
52-114-644yds 7int 3tds
64.40yds/g, 5.65yds/att

Rush
390-2193yds 23tds
219.30yds/g, 5.62yds/att

Total
504-2837yds
283.70yds/g, 5.63yds/play

LHexPlayer
11-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Panther one.

Panther One
11-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Interesting....stats through 11 games:

2008 (11-0) 459-174

Opponents
Rushing: 272 att - 797 yds | 72.45 yds/g (2.9 yds/car)
Passing: 105 - 224 - 1735 yds | 157.7 yds/g
Total: 496 - 2532 yds | 230.2 yds/g

Panthers
Rushing: 570 att - 4658 yds | 423.5 yds/g (8.2 yds/car)
Passing: 14 - 27 - 371 yds | 33.7 yds/g
Total: 597 - 5029 yds | 457.2 yds/g

2007 (11-0) 508-163

Opponents
Rushing: 281 att - 733 yds | 66.6 yds/g (2.6 yds/car)
Passing: 145 - 272 - 1492 yds | 135.6 yds/g
Total: 553 - 2225 yds | 202.3 yds/g

Panthers
Rushing: 588 att - 4584 yds | 416.7 yds/g (7.8 yds/car)
Passing: 14 - 31 - 500 yds | 45.5 yds/g
Total: 619 - 4984 yds | 453.1 yds/g

I apologize for deviating from the original topic. I just thought our stat comparison from last year to this year was interesting.

LHexPlayer
11-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Interesting....stats through 11 games:

2008 (11-0) 459-174

Opponents

Panthers

2007 (11-0) 508-163

Opponents

Panthers

I apologize for deviating from the original topic. I just thought our stat comparison from last year to this year was interesting.

Not too much of a difference there. Hopefully we finish as strong as we did last year.

BullsFan
11-17-2008, 09:27 PM

Not ALL of Bridgeport, if you please.

Super_R
11-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Nice job Panther One!!!

That deserves a... Come on with the Come on!

Crap, it's only Monday.

Bridgeport's water boy sucks!!!

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I think it could be closer than most people think.
I have to agree with you! I know our team is definitely not taking the Lions lightly, nor looking any further down the road than 4:00 pm Saturday.

Stownhorse
11-17-2008, 09:31 PM
wow this is probably the most lopsided I have seen a poll on 3adl.

LH Panther Mom
11-17-2008, 09:46 PM
and has anyone been able to run the ball good against yall?:D
Giddings had 303 yards in Zero week. I believe we've allowed 498 total since that game. :)

Panther One
11-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Decided to throw in 2006 through 11 games, as well. Our defense has improved the last couple of years. This is as far back as I'm going to go...

2008 (11-0) 459-174

Opponents

Panthers

2007 (11-0) 508-163

Opponents

Panthers

2006 (9-2) 507-234

Opponents
Rushing: 296 att - 1625 yds | 147.7 yds/g (5.5 yds/car)
Passing: 100 - 227 - 1750 yds | 159.1 yds/g
Total: 523 - 3375 yds | 306.8 yds/g

Panthers
Rushing: 621 att - 4949 yds | 449.9 yds/g (8.0 yds/car)
Passing: 13 - 36 - 215 yds | 19.5 yds/g
Total: 657 - 5164 yds | 469.5 yds/g

Runnin Panther
11-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the posting the stats. I didn’t realize how consistent we have been over the last few years. It feels like this year has been tougher than last year, but when you look at the stats there is not that much difference. The biggest difference is how much we have improved at defending the rush from 2006 to 07/08.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Those are really good stats. Particularly the 2.9 yds/car allowed. Impressive. The defense may not get the credit they deserve with the offense doing so well.

Ranger Mom
11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I am assuming the "Whiteside" kid y'all keep referring to is related to the Whiteside kid that ran all over us in Sweetwater year before last??:D

Bullaholic
11-18-2008, 11:11 AM
nm--wrong thread agin---sorry.

firstcat
11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the posting the stats. I didn’t realize how consistent we have been over the last few years. It feels like this year has been tougher than last year, but when you look at the stats there is not that much difference. The biggest difference is how much we have improved at defending the rush from 2006 to 07/08.

every year, we've enjoyed successes that weren't achieved the prior year...this year we add a number of shut-outs to the list....keep it rollin' guys!

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I am assuming the "Whiteside" kid y'all keep referring to is related to the Whiteside kid that ran all over us in Sweetwater year before last??:D

I believe they are cousins. The Whiteside that played two years ago is the starting DE for ACU. He has had a heck of a year earning the conference player of the week award (maybe twice).

Dominicfrank
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Cousin's. This one is smaller and faster. I think Aston was the better back but this years line is small so Craig hasn't had too much to run behind like Aston did.

BTW- Aston is a monster DE for ACU. He leads the tem in sacks and is just killing it on defense.

Panther One
11-18-2008, 08:03 PM

I think the expectations get greater each year. People don't realize that we had eight new starters on offense and seven on defense and went on the road the first two weeks to face a couple of perennial powers. Some fans just expect us to pick up where we left off against Gilmer. If you think back to week two in '07, we were losing to Burnet 17-7 at halftime. We weren't setting the world on fire at the beginning of last year, either. The Brownwood game this year was very similar to the Cuero game last year with a lot of offense and little defense, and our struggles against Burnet this year were similar to our struggles against Rockdale last year. People forget those things. They just remember what we did in the playoffs, but even those views can be skewed.

Many people are having doubts based heavily on last week. However, if you know the Slot-T, you know how important the guards are, and we were without both starting guards against West and our third string tailback played much of the night. And after watching the game, most fans probably wouldn't have guessed that we out-gained them 478-125. That's impressive, considering that the wind prevented us from taking full advantage of them putting eleven in the box, and considering that we had the worst average starting field position for as far back as I can remember.

What's funny is that most fans felt better about a 42-14 win over Robinson last year than a 27-0 win over West this year, because they gauge everything offensively, often ignoring the margin of victory. Robinson, if you're wondering, had over twice as many yards against us as West did, and we only had 12 more yards against them than we had last week.

One thing that's plagued us this year is turnovers, especially turnovers deep inside our opponents territory. It seems like we've turned the ball over in or near the red zone at an unusually high rate this year, often multiple times per game. Take away just over half of those and we're right there with the scoring pace of the previous two seasons. That's really my biggest concern moving forward. If we do lose, we're probably going to be able to point at turnovers as a main reason why.

Daddy D 11
11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I think the expectations get greater each year. People don't realize that we had eight new starters on offense and seven on defense and went on the road the first two weeks to face a couple of perennial powers. Some fans just expect us to pick up where we left off against Gilmer. If you think back to week two in '07, we were losing to Burnet 17-7 at halftime. We weren't setting the world on fire at the beginning of last year, either. The Brownwood game this year was very similar to the Cuero game last year with a lot of offense and little defense, and our struggles against Burnet this year were similar to our struggles against Rockdale last year. People forget those things. They just remember what we did in the playoffs, but even those views can be skewed.

Many people are having doubts based heavily on last week. However, if you know the Slot-T, you know how important the guards are, and we were without both starting guards against West and our third string tailback played much of the night. And after watching the game, most fans probably wouldn't have guessed that we out-gained them 478-125. That's impressive, considering that the wind prevented us from taking full advantage of them putting eleven in the box, and considering that we had the worst average starting field position for as far back as I can remember.

What's funny is that most fans felt better about a 42-14 win over Robinson last year than a 27-0 win over West this year, because they gauge everything offensively, often ignoring the margin of victory. Robinson, if you're wondering, had over twice as many yards against us as West did, and we only had 12 more yards against them than we had last week.

One thing that's plagued us this year is turnovers, especially turnovers deep inside our opponents territory. It seems like we've turned the ball over in or near the red zone at an unusually high rate this year, often multiple times per game. Take away just over half of those and we're right there with the scoring pace of the previous two seasons. That's really my biggest concern moving forward. If we do lose, we're probably going to be able to point at turnovers as a main reason why.

VERY NICE:clap:

LH Panther Mom
11-18-2008, 09:59 PM
What's funny is that most fans felt better about a 42-14 win over Robinson last year than a 27-0 win over West this year, because they gauge everything offensively, often ignoring the margin of victory.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: One point difference in the point spread, yet according to some posts I've read, we apparently didn't win by enough. :thinking:

I'm looking forward to the game! It's been cool to be able to play some new teams this year, and even better to have the opportunity to play a tradition-rich team like Vernon. :)

catdaddy
11-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Er, :confused: um,:( I, uh.... :vrycnfsd: YEAH! so there put that in yo pipe and smoke it! :smoker:

fanofthegame
11-19-2008, 03:01 PM
when you won back-2-back state championships, who all got rings, i.e. all players, all players that got moved up, only players that played in playoff games, school board members, admin from the high school,? does anyone know this, just wondering?

trojan37
11-19-2008, 04:18 PM
LH-35
Vernon-14

I think anybody will have a hard time stopping LH and the slot-T. Their might be a defense that will slow it down, but not stop it, and they get it done on the defensive side as well. Barring a total disaster I don't see why LH shouldn't win.

Runnin Panther
11-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by fanofthegame
when you won back-2-back state championships, who all got rings, i.e. all players, all players that got moved up, only players that played in playoff games, school board members, admin from the high school,? does anyone know this, just wondering?

I think any player that got moved up and didn’t miss a practice during the playoffs, school board members, football coaches at all levels, all the trainers, and high school principles. Also I think some of the coaches wives had necklaces (they are really nice) made. I know some people feel like giving out more rings takes away the specialness of it, but I don’t. Every kid knows their level of contribution to the team that is all that matters. Plus I think giving the younger kids rings gives them more incentives to work hard during the playoffs.

trojan37
11-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I like how LH suited up so many players and brought them along for the playoffs to get that experience. West brought up maybe 4 or 5 kids to put on a jersey, not completely suit up.:confused:

Runnin Panther
11-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I like how LH suited up so many players and brought them along for the playoffs to get that experience. West brought up maybe 4 or 5 kids to put on a jersey, not completely suit up.:confused:

LH lets most of the freshmen and all the JV kids move up during the playoffs. It’s the kid’s choice, but of course they all stay out. It’s just icing on the cake for next years team. Every week in pads is just more practice for next year. Plus I think the young kids get to learn the varsity routine and get to feel intensity of game day. It’s a win-win I don’t know why all coaches wouldn’t do that.

LHexPlayer
11-19-2008, 05:37 PM
It’s a win-win I don’t know why all coaches wouldn’t do that.

$$$$$

Panther Dad X 2
11-19-2008, 06:59 PM
I think any player that got moved up and didn’t miss a practice during the playoffs, school board members, football coaches at all levels, all the trainers, and high school principles. Also I think some of the coaches wives had necklaces (they are really nice) made. I know some people feel like giving out more rings takes away the specialness of it, but I don’t. Every kid knows their level of contribution to the team that is all that matters. Plus I think giving the younger kids rings gives them more incentives to work hard during the playoffs.

I also believe the Band had the option of getting a ring as well. The ring is different from the players but a ring all the same.

LHexPlayer
11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Did Vernon us their off week to prepare of Liberty Hill or were they more conservative and waited to see who would win Round 1? If I was the coach at Vernon that would be hard temptation to refuse.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-19-2008, 07:39 PM
From what I understand the Lions worked on what the Lions do. They did not practice with a focus on any team other than improving what they already do.

LHexPlayer
11-19-2008, 07:42 PM
From what I understand the Lions worked on what the Lions do. They did not practice with a focus on any team other than improving what they already do.

That is probably the wisest way to handle a week off in the playoffs. Work on basics and get everyone ready for the next phase of the season. I was just wondering because to me it would be hard not to try and look ahead.

LHexPlayer
11-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I got this off the Mineral Wells Index website.

Ram Stadium set to host area playoff game

By Tommy Wells
sports@mineralwellsindex.com

Mineral Wells Independent School District officials are probably feeling a lot like Kevin Costner in “Field of Dreams.” They built it, and the teams are coming.

For the second consecutive week, the school district’s new $12 million athletic complex will see postseason action. Liberty Hill and Vernon are set to play the first-ever area playoff game in the friendly confines of Ram Stadium on Saturday, beginning at 4 p.m.

Two-time defending Class 3A state champion Liberty Hill, 11-0, rolls into the second-round matchup having posted an easy 27-0 win over West in bi-district play.

Against West, Liberty Hill, the District 8-3A champion, used a powerful rushing offense to steamroll West. The Panthers, led by the efforts of running backs Dusty Boyd and Ryan Fickel, rushed for 475 yards in the contest.

Boyd rushed for 215 yards in Liberty Hill’s win. Fickel added 148.

The Panthers’ win over West also marked Liberty Hill’s 35th consecutive win, and their 12th straight victory in postseason play.

Vernon, despite its 5-5 record in the regular season, isn’t without a stellar running game of its own. The Lions rode the legs of senior running back Craig Whitesides to third in the District 5-3A race.

Whitesides rushed for 1,124 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2008, including 245 yards in the Lions’ playoff-clinching win over Iowa Park in the regular season finale.

Eric Wilson give the Lions a second rushing threat. He gained almost 700 yards this year on just 98 attempts.

Vernon’s Kyle Railsback leads the Lion defense. He registered 94 tackles in the regular season.

The Lions drew a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Not much love for the Lions in that write up. But I don't blame them. The people in Mineral Wells already know about Vernon, but it would be a treat for them to watch LH. I remember when Everman played up in Lawton, Oklahoma this is after they won two state championships back to back -- all the talk was about this team that was coming to town to play. It was exciting.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-19-2008, 08:16 PM
That is probably the wisest way to handle a week off in the playoffs. Work on basics and get everyone ready for the next phase of the season. I was just wondering because to me it would be hard not to try and look ahead.

I'm like you -- I would already be planning to play LH. Of course I have never coached a team to a win before.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I will not be able to make the game after all. I will be in Vernon so I'm going to listen to it on the radio so make sure and hollar so I can hear you guys and gals over the radio broadcast! :)

Panther One
11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
LH lets most of the freshmen and all the JV kids move up during the playoffs. It’s the kid’s choice, but of course they all stay out. It’s just icing on the cake for next years team. Every week in pads is just more practice for next year. Plus I think the young kids get to learn the varsity routine and get to feel intensity of game day. It’s a win-win I don’t know why all coaches wouldn’t do that.
Actually, they only ask a select few of the freshmen to stick around. I think this year they may given seven or eight the option to continue practicing. The JV has that same option. In the past four years, we've gotten an extra five, four, six, and five weeks of practice. It sure does help replenish the varsity from year to year.

IHStangFan
11-19-2008, 10:06 PM
LH w/ ease.

LHexPlayer
11-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Actually, they only ask a select few of the freshmen to stick around. I think this year they may given seven or eight the option to continue practicing. The JV has that same option. In the past four years, we've gotten an extra five, four, six, and five weeks of practice. It sure does help replenish the varsity from year to year.

Seems like this year we have every player in highschool freshman thru Varsity on the playoff roster. I counted 114 players suited out last Friday night.

LH Panther Mom
11-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Seems like this year we have every player in highschool freshman thru Varsity on the playoff roster. I counted 114 players suited out last Friday night.
I believe 8 freshmen "opted out", from what one of the freshman coaches told me the other week.

LH Panther Mom
11-19-2008, 10:27 PM
I will not be able to make the game after all. I will be in Vernon so I'm going to listen to it on the radio so make sure and hollar so I can hear you guys and gals over the radio broadcast! :)
Oh shoot! I was looking forward to meeting you! :(

GreenMonster
11-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh shoot! I was looking forward to meeting you! :( You aren't missing out on much! J/K I met Z once at a Vernon/ IP game. He's a super nice guy. I'm extremely happy to know that even though he's way up in Kans-Ass he still follows the downlow. He's a real asset in my opinion.

GreenMonster
11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
While we're on the subject of Kans-Ass, where's Jill been hiding??? Jeez, she moves out of Kansas and back into the 21st century and we never hear from her again, go figure!

LH Panther Mom
11-19-2008, 10:42 PM
While we're on the subject of Kans-Ass, where's Jill been hiding??? Jeez, she moves out of Kansas and back into the 21st century and we never hear from her again, go figure!
She's in Lueeezianna! :eek: :eek:

GreenMonster
11-19-2008, 10:48 PM
She's in Lueeezianna! :eek: :eek: She must be over on the river boats spending her retirement $$ lol.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
You aren't missing out on much! J/K I met Z once at a Vernon/ IP game. He's a super nice guy. I'm extremely happy to know that even though he's way up in Kans-Ass he still follows the downlow. He's a real asset in my opinion.

I was also looking forward to meeting LH Panther Mom as well. As long as we have been on the Downlow, I'm surprised we have met at a game before.

I always look forward to reading GM's posts. Sort of like Vet's and VWG's. Good commentary. We are all just some good ole Football Bubba's. :)

I spoke to the "color and stats" guy with the Vernon radio broadcast team this morning. I told him I would be listening to teh game and he said "Dang that LH team is good and that the Lions would need every break we can get to stay in this game".

I hope for a competitive and good game and some homer style radio broadcasting! Safe travels for everyone.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Oh yes, it was 14 degrees in Kansas this morning. 28 here in Vernon. :)

firstcat
11-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh yes, it was 14 degrees in Kansas this morning. 28 here in Vernon. :)

Besides earth shaking THUNDER,:evillol: what is the weather forecast for this game?

wimbo_pro
11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by firstcat
Besides earth shaking THUNDER,:evillol: what is the weather forecast for this game?

Oh hush FirstCat!!!

OldBison75
11-21-2008, 01:59 PM
To all the LH fans, good luck and be safe on the road this week.

firstcat
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
To all the LH fans, good luck and be safe on the road this week.

Thanks OB...you do the same!

Daddy D 11
11-21-2008, 02:18 PM
It's going to be cold tomorrow:eek:

Super_R
11-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Having to wait that extra day to get that football fix is going to kill me.

Daddy D 11
11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Having to wait that extra day to get that football fix is going to kill me.

I'm going to watch Permian tonight:D

Super_R
11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm going to watch Permian tonight:D

My hometown plays Elgin tonight. I wish I could make that one.

LH panthers
11-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Vernon knows smashmouth football--they've been doing it well for a lot of years. They know how to stop the Slot-T---the question is can they stop a team that runs it as well as LH. The Lions will need to play above their heads with one of their best efforts in quite a while to stay close to LH and have any chance of the upset.

Thats what Llano said, they even run the Slot-T but they still didnt stop us. They may have slowed us down a few times but never stopped us.

LHexPlayer
11-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by LH panthers
Thats what Llano said, they even run the Slot-T but they still didnt stop us. They may have slowed us down a few times but never stopped us.

Get after them tomorrow LH panthers. Love watching you boys play.

stat man
11-21-2008, 10:36 PM

This is not the same Vernon team fram the past. I don't think vernon can come close to stopping LH. Don't think this will even be a ballgame

Bullaholic
11-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by stat man
This is not the same Vernon team fram the past. I don't think vernon can come close to stopping LH. Don't think this will even be a ballgame

Didn't say they would stop LH---I was just saying that their coaches knew how to defense a smashmouth running team. Having their players do it successfully against a team like LH is another story. I don't think Vernon will win this one, but I do think they will give LH a pretty good game and not get blown out too bad. Welcome aboard the 3ADL Stat Man---hope we have a long ride together with the Bulls this year.

stat man
11-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Not jumping on your post Bull, just letting everyone know what i think. Really not a new poster but changed name, but it's been a few years since i've posted (2005). Just needed to get back in.

Bullaholic
11-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by stat man
Not jumping on your post Bull, just letting everyone know what i think. Really not a new poster but changed name, but it's been a few years since i've posted (2005). Just needed to get back in.

No prob---My posts are not sacred by a long shot, and glad you got back on--we'll just have to see how it all unfolds tomorrow night, and again no question that LH is capable of blowing out Vernon.

ShortDog68
11-21-2008, 11:52 PM
You keep believing that. We will keep winning til the cows come home. Don't hate, acknowledge and accept the fact that your role is to support your cause. Good luck.

The gene pool in LH keeps getting better and better. Sometimes we have to monitor the chlorine level. Haha!

Go CATS!

Snyder_TigerFan
11-21-2008, 11:59 PM
I was also looking forward to meeting LH Panther Mom as well. As long as we have been on the Downlow, I'm surprised we have met at a game before.

I always look forward to reading GM's posts. Sort of like Vet's and VWG's. Good commentary. We are all just some good ole Football Bubba's. :)

I spoke to the "color and stats" guy with the Vernon radio broadcast team this morning. I told him I would be listening to teh game and he said "Dang that LH team is good and that the Lions would need every break we can get to stay in this game".

I hope for a competitive and good game and some homer style radio broadcasting! Safe travels for everyone.

Good luck Vernon....and Z motion....if there is ever a poster that causes you to root for their team, it's you. To be the best you have to beat the best. Good luck!!

lion75
11-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I was going to come meet you Liberty Hill types but I am at Presby Plano and they are inducing labor. We are about to have a boy. Baby Lion75. Yeehaw!

LH Panther Mom
11-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I was going to come meet you Liberty Hill types but I am at Presby Plano and they are inducing labor. We are about to have a boy. Baby Lion75. Yeehaw!
Congrats! :clap:

wimbo_pro
11-22-2008, 12:15 AM

wow...you are dedicated!!! Are the labor pains hampering your ability to type? Do you have the laptop on top of your belly as you lie in the hospital? You are a gold standard for Women of the DownLow.

Gobbla2001
11-22-2008, 12:36 AM
I like Mineral Wells and its wet self... thought I was gunna die in dry-as-hell Weatherford a couple of months back, but that gas station just inside Mineral Wells saved me...

Panther Dad X 2
11-22-2008, 11:15 AM
5 HOURS 45 MINUTES!!!!!

GO PANTHERS

OldBison75
11-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Panthers, game time is near. Buckle on the helmets and put on your game faces. This is your tradition and you have proven to be the best for a couple of years. This is a new year and a new team, but the same old dedication, determination, and will to win at all cost. Walk onto the field with pride and walk off the field with the knowledge that you played the best you could. If you do that, you will again be winners.

GOOD LUCK AND HOPE TO SEE YOU GUYS MOVING ON.

MOM, keep them fans fired up and I want to hear ya'll yelling and making noise all the way down here in Navasota.

lion75
11-22-2008, 04:14 PM
wow...you are dedicated!!! Are the labor pains hampering your ability to type? Do you have the laptop on top of your belly as you lie in the hospital? You are a gold standard for Women of the DownLow. I am a dude. My wife had the baby boy.

trojan37
11-22-2008, 04:26 PM
LH 42
Vernon 14