PDA

View Full Version : Glen Rose vs Llano

Old Dog
11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Llano leads Glen Rose 19-0 at half time. Could barely understand the radio broadcast...........very faint.

ziggy29
11-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Llano scored with an 18-yard pass with :01 remaining in the half. Just wish they didn't almost always go for two, even in the first half, after missing a PAT.

ziggy29
11-14-2008, 10:59 PM
4:00 left to play -- Jackets lead 33-14.

lange4
11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Hard to score when you don't have the ball. GR only had 1 possession in each of the 2nd and 3rd qtrs, with each of those being 5-6 plays or less.

ziggy29
11-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by lange4
Hard to score when you don't have the ball. GR only had 1 possession in each of the 2nd and 3rd qtrs, with each of those being 5-6 plays or less.
That's certainly one good thing about the Slot-T when it's working. Even though GR was scoring quickly when they had the ball in the second half, by then the Jackets built a three-score lead and were able to burn several minutes with each possession.

The time of possession, while often deceptive, was ridiculous in this game -- and when you have a decent halftime lead, time of possession becomes your friend in the second half. Llano probably had the ball for 3/4 of the game.

lange4
11-15-2008, 10:01 AM
well they started scoring quickly because they they were running all or nothing plays. Not very high % but every now and then 1 hits.

ziggy29
11-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by lange4
well they started scoring quickly because they they were running all or nothing plays. Not very high % but every now and then 1 hits.
I'd imagine GR deserves a little more credit than that -- it's not like they were hitting a few "lucky" plays. They are a fairly prolific passing offense and Thompson is a heck of a QB. Pass defense has really never been the strength of the Jackets, and their success in defending it usually depends on their ability to pressure the QB. With a three score lead, Llano wasn't usually mounting a big pass rush and Thompson was taking advantage of it.

When they did, though -- including a blitz on a big 4th down play late in the game -- good things happened most of the time.

lange4
11-15-2008, 10:31 AM
what i am saying is that when the game gets late and you are down you are not running the higher % plays anymore but are going for it with the quick strike lower % play. By the way,ziggy29 maybe you ought to go to a game and witness our pass defense, which is not near as bad as you make it out to be. the Bandera game we had defensive backs out of action due to various reasons.

ziggy29
11-15-2008, 11:48 AM
I've been to several games this year. And I didn't say the pass defense was bad -- I've merely said it wasn't really their strength. Their ability to stop the run is the backbone of the defense. And when they get pressure on the QB, they're hard to move on at all. But with a good QB and little pass rush, even the best coverage guys aren't going to have great success.

The bottom line is that Thompson is a darned good QB. And from what I heard on the radio call, if I may be forgiven for not making the drive to Copperas Cove, it seemed like when the Jackets defense settled back in coverage, he was able to move the ball with a few big plays. You don't need a very high completion percentage to score with big plays -- you just need to not turn the ball over like GR did in the first half.

Budman007
11-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Thompson from Glen Rose and Hunter Nix from Prosper (except for our own Cameron green) are the best QB's I have seen play this Year. Thompson is definitely a D1 prospect.