PDA

View Full Version : Cuero's Trent Jackson

crabman
11-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Nice article. Notice the difference between Trent's number of carries and Robert Straits number of carries.

Cuero RB has plenty of speed to burn
Jackson nearing rushing mark for Gobbler freshman
Photo 1 of 1Click to enlargeClick to view more
advertising
BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
November 13, 2008 - 11:33 p.m.
CUERO - Mark Reeve had never started a freshman at running back in his 18 years as a head football coach. But Reeve had never coached a freshman running back like Trent Jackson.

Jackson became a starter in Cuero's District 28-3A opener against Yoakum and he has erased any doubt about his ability to play on the varsity level by rushing 84 times for a district-leading 1,209 yards and 17 touchdowns.

Jackson helped lead the No. 8 Gobblers (8-1) to their sixth straight undefeated district championship and into the Division I bi-district playoffs against Somerset (7-3) Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Farris Stadium in San Antonio.

"We felt like we wanted to look at him," Reeve said.

"He's got a lot of confidence. He's never really acted like a freshman."

Jackson doesn't run like a freshman. He is not only a breakaway threat, but he rarely loses yardage or fumbles.

"He takes care of the football, he's got great vision, he hits the hole really well and it seems like he's always moving forward," Reeve said. "The other thing he does is he makes a lot of yards after contact. He keeps his legs moving. He keeps a low center of gravity and keeps his pads down."

Jackson knew making the varsity as a freshman would be a big step. But Jackson had faith in his ability and was willing to put in the hard work necessary to achieve his goal.

"Coach Reeve told me if I stayed in the weight room I'd have a chance," Jackson said. "He told me just to work real hard. I worked hard in the summer and lifted weights every day. I knew everything was going to be more difficult on varsity. I really didn't know anything about what to expect. I just tried."

Jackson gives much of the credit for his success to the offensive line, which has allowed Cuero to average over 250 yards of rushing per game.

"I think they really like blocking for Trent," Reeve said. "Anytime you're blocking for a guy who has a chance to make a big play it's just a lot more fun."

"It is fun and it's been a good experience for me," center Logan Pickett agreed. "I know he's got the speed. I think what he's best at is his moves. He can get out of almost any situation pretty easily."

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Jackson has a hard time describing his running style.

"I've been playing football since I was in third grade," Jackson said. "It just came. Any crease I see I'm going to go through it."

Jackson was a baby when his cousin and God-brother Melvin Barnett started at running back as freshman for Cuero.

Jackson wasn't even born when Robert Strait helped the Gobblers reach the 1985 state final his freshman year.

Jackson is becoming more aware of Strait's accomplishments as he approaches the school's freshman rushing record.

Strait rushed 206 times for 1,390 yards and 20 touchdowns and scored 24 touchdowns overall as a freshman.

"It feels pretty good to be one of them," Jackson said.

Reeve also feels good about his decision to give Jackson the opportunity.

"I think we knew after the La Vernia game," Reeve said. "He really came on in practice that week. He worked really hard. It takes a while for a freshman. But if you're the guy, you're the guy."

NOTES: Cuero will be the home team...Tickets at the gate are $7...Somerset is coached by Sonny Detmer, the father of NFL quarterbacks Koy and Ty Detmer and the uncle of Somerset quarterback Steven Dorman...The winner will play Sealy, which beat Needville 31-10 on Thursday, in the regional round...The game will be broadcast on KBAR, 100.9 FM.

Phil C
11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Any idea which college team he likes?

crabman
11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
He is 14. I am not sure he has even thought about it. I have three more years to make sure his love of maroon grows.

STAggie
11-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Hope he's ready to get hit next week. :eek: :D :D :eek:

JT44
11-14-2008, 11:15 AM
you have to catch him first.....and that's only after business is taken care of tonight.

but i can't help but think about how cuero got knocked off by sealy during my hs years, hopefully we get a chance for redemption next week

STAggie
11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JT44
you have to catch him first.....and that's only after business is taken care of tonight.

but i can't help but think about how cuero got knocked off by sealy during my hs years, hopefully we get a chance for redemption next week

I keep thinking the same thing. I believe the last time we played you guys was '01 in pre-district. If I remember correctly it was a good game but you guys came out on top. '01 was also the last year we won a playoff game till last night.

crabman
11-14-2008, 11:42 AM
The last playoff loss to Sealy was in 1997. Sealy won 31-0

Regular season record since the is

2001 Sealy 21-13
2002 Sealy 25-19
2003 Cuero 44-20 (Reeve's first year)
2004 Cuero 20-0
2005 Cuero 48-30

Cuero on a three game winning streak and Reeve has not been beaten by Sealy.

Let us take care of one thing at a time. Talk to you next week.

Boomer
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by STAggie
Hope he's ready to get hit next week. :eek: :D :D :eek:

Trent runs hard!! Good kid. He is hard to bring down. We have business to take care of tonight, then we will worry about Sealy! Congrats on yalls win last night!

STAggie
11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by crabman
The last playoff loss to Sealy was in 1997. Sealy won 31-0

Regular season record since the is

2001 Sealy 21-13
2002 Sealy 25-19
2003 Cuero 44-20 (Reeve's first year)
2004 Cuero 20-0
2005 Cuero 48-30

Cuero on a three game winning streak and Reeve has not been beaten by Sealy.

Let us take care of one thing at a time. Talk to you next week.

Wow, I didn't realize we played you guys up till '05. The years I spent at A&M I didn't get to see to much ball.

JT44
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
my high school years we lost to SLC in state, then PI, then I think it was the next two in a row to Sealy.