PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sweetwater Red...you off today????

GetRDoneStangs
11-14-2008, 08:02 AM
I ment to ask about this yesterday.......I wasn't sure what facility you worked at.

Radiation leak contained in Sweetwater

A radiation leak at a Sweetwater plant Thursday prompted an investigation and sent at least 140 employees home until Monday.

The leak occurred around 8:30 a.m. when a machinist accidentally cut into a sealed source.

It was quickly cleaned up, the area was mostly decontaminated, and a state inspector said it was under control, according to Don Ludlum, owner of Ludlum Measurements.

The company produces devices to detect radiation. Thursday's leak was the first since Ludlum started the business in 1962, he said.

"It was contained within the main plant building. It's not a serious hazard, but it is a leak, and the state has very stringent requirements on leaks," he said. The cleanup "was a wet mop job, just soap and water. It was like dust. The source itself was ceramic, and when it got cut into, it (became like dust)."

The machinist who cut into the radiation source was decontaminated and monitored, and all employees were frisked to ensure that no contamination spread into the community, Ludlum Measurements Marketing Manager Ronald Ulbrich told KTXS.

Ludlum said that the company does not have radiation incident drills in place but that one will soon be in the works.

"We will have many more safeguards," he said.

A hazardous materials cleanup crew will make sure all traces of radiation have been removed. Ludlum said workers may have to cut out carpet in some areas.

The employees will be paid for the time off, except for a small number of employees who will continue working, Ludlum said.

"It's a terrible incident," he said. "It's kind of like a car accident. You don't mean for it to happen, but it does."

Ludlum started the business in Sweetwater along with his father, George. According to Reporter-News files, the two were searching for a location for the plant and got caught in a "Blue Norther" when inspecting Big Country towns. They stayed in a Big Spring motel with no heat and no water and ate at a restaurant that couldn't serve coffee.

The men liked what they saw in Sweetwater, where they had stopped for a cup of coffee, and chose it as the location.

Radiation Leak (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/nov/13/radiation-leak-contained-in-sweetwater/)

Did you cause this so you can get an early start to Plainview??:thinking: :thinking:

DOS EQUIS
11-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah he is off. The fool better call me if he wants a ride to Plainveiw. I'll go by his house later on to see if he survived this little incident