PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wonder

Necks_Fan
11-14-2008, 12:33 AM
How many points a team could have scored if they really tried.

Like Carthage. I wonder how many they COULD have scored.

Just curious.

I agree, get as many points as possible in the first half, then call of the dogs.

I don;t know about timeouts when you're up by 41...... but still.

IHStangFan
11-14-2008, 12:36 AM
You might could say that about Sealy tonight against Needville if Mitchell hadn't been going for it on 4th down when they were already up 24 to 3.

I saw where Monahans put up 70 on someone tonight.

Necks_Fan
11-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
You might could say that about Sealy tonight against Needville if Mitchell hadn't been going for it on 4th down when they were already up 24 to 3.

I saw where Monahans put up 70 on someone tonight. Yea..... but he was in a tough spot.

4th and short on about the Needville 35. I probably go for it too.
If it's a meaningless Reg season game..... then yea.. Maybe I punt.

Now why was he goign for it from the 40 with a 3 TD lead with like 4 mins left in the game? :thinking:

I don't agree with that one.

handNthedirt
11-14-2008, 12:41 AM
IMO as a former coach...run it up, cause it'll happen to you and the kids you coach....it builds rivalries and rivalries are a good thing. Competition brings out the best in humanity....isn't that what life is all about?

IHStangFan
11-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Yea..... but he was in a tough spot.

Now why was he goign for it from the 40 with a 3 TD lead with like 4 mins left in the game? :thinking:

I don't agree with that one. one word....Karma.......there's about a 99.9% chance they play Cuero next week. LOL. :D

pirate4state
11-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Yea..... but he was in a tough spot.

I don't agree with that one.

LOL I so wasn't paying attention. To busy gabbing.

Maybe he's just trying some different looks out or practicing in "live" situations.

Should you just stop playing? Hell, it was bad enough they let Needville back in with some bone headed mistakes and just kinda going through the motions.

Necks - it was good to meet you. IHS & STaggie - no answer your phone? what's up with that? :D

3&2count
11-14-2008, 09:11 AM
In the playoffs you score as many points as you can and make sure the game is out of reach. Don't give the other team any chance of coming back.

Just look at this game as an example:

Cedar Hill was losing the Plano West 28-0 in the 3rd qtr. before they scored 35 unanswered points. It ended up going to 3 OT's before Cedar Hill pulled out the win on a field goal 52-49.

I say you score and keep scoring. This is the playoffs and each team should be good. Don't give them any chance to come back and make a game of it.

LH Panther Mom
11-14-2008, 09:12 AM

I wondered about that myself.

jason
11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
IMO as a former coach...run it up, cause it'll happen to you and the kids you coach....it builds rivalries and rivalries are a good thing. Competition brings out the best in humanity....isn't that what life is all about?

i agree...run it it up, its the playoffs, if you cant stop somebody from scoring, then too freakin bad......

thatboiwes
11-14-2008, 09:39 AM
If I was a coach, I would score whatever I could in the 1st half if it was a regular season game with my starters. Then in the 3rd, I would be real conservative with my play calling but still have in my starters. Then for the 4th quarter run the regular offense with all subs.

If a team can't slow down what your doing with all of your starters pulled, then oh well.

In the playoffs, for the 1st 2, maybe 3 rounds, I would score whatever I could for the 1st 3 quarters, then run a conservative offense while mix-and-matching starters and subs.

After that point, if you can't slow down what my offense is doing for 4 quarters, then sorry for you. Because I'm going to score as much as I can for 4 full quarters.

That's just my take on it.

pirate4state
11-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 3&2count
In the playoffs you score as many points as you can and make sure the game is out of reach. Don't give the other team any chance of coming back.

Cedar Hill was losing the Plano West 28-0 in the 3rd qtr. before they scored 35 unanswered points. It ended up going to 3 OT's before Cedar Hill pulled out the win on a field goal 52-49.

I say you score and keep scoring. This is the playoffs and each team should be good. Don't give them any chance to come back and make a game of it.

I agree! :clap: Keep coming at 'em. If they can't stop you that makes you a bad guy? I don't think so!

ronwx5x
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM

I guess I don't understand the point here. Had Plano West taken out all their starters in the 3rd qtr? If so, couldn't they just put their starters back in? I don't believe PW just layed down and hoped they had enough points.

Global Swarming
11-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Last Friday night, the Hornets took a knee at Cameron's 1 yard line to run out the clock up 49-28. I was hoping they would score again just because it was Cameron and if the shoe was on the other foot you know what would have happened. I know that they've run it up on us before.

JasperDog94
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
IMO as a former coach...run it up, cause it'll happen to you and the kids you coach....it builds rivalries and rivalries are a good thing. Competition brings out the best in humanity....isn't that what life is all about? No offense, but I'm glad you're not coaching my team. There is no sense in running up the score. IMO that shows a lack of character and class.

Now I'm not talking about making sure that the game is out of reach. What I'm saying is that when the game has clearly been decided, put your second string guys in there and let them get some playing time. There's no excuse for demoralizing another high school team just so you can "create a rivalry".

kepdawg
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
I think if the game is out of hand the team trailing should get consecutive offensive possessions equal to the number of possessions they are trailing by to try to tie or take the lead. At least that way the team with the ball is always trying to score!

Global Swarming
11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Don't they do that in the CFL (Canadian Football League)? Or some other off the wall league?

3&2count
11-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I guess I don't understand the point here. Had Plano West taken out all their starters in the 3rd qtr? If so, couldn't they just put their starters back in? I don't believe PW just layed down and hoped they had enough points.

My point is that in high school football no lead is safe. They were up 28 and that was not good enough.

So you should keep scoring until you know there is no doubt the game is over. I am not advocating scoring 100 on someone, but I would make sure nothing crazy could happen and I could lose.

RPF2666
11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
After the game is in hand, you play kids that don't get the opportunity in close games. If those kids are still better than the kids on the other side of the ball...so be it.

You can't send kids out there and ask them not to play. PERIOD.

ronwx5x
11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RPF2666
After the game is in hand, you play kids that don't get the opportunity in close games. If those kids are still better than the kids on the other side of the ball...so be it.

You can't send kids out there and ask them not to play. PERIOD.

:ditto: :iagree:

I agree 100%. Many of those kids only get to play a few times each year and shouldn't be denied theri opportunity to do their best. If the opponent begins to get back into the game, put some if not all the starters back in and take the game over if possible.

eagles_victory
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM

I say you score and keep scoring. This is the playoffs and each team should be good. Don't give them any chance to come back and make a game of it. In that game it wasnt bc West let off the gas Cedar Hill just made a great comeback. 28-0 in the 3rd is too early to call off the dogs. But as a coach 99 percent of the time you can look out and tell when a game is in hand.

When your up 56-0 in the fourth quarter there is no sense in still trying to score. If your up 21 like Caldwell with 30 seconds left what good does a touchdown do in that situation? Its a matter of knowing the game situation and knowing what is too much imo.

But take it from what its worth coming from someone who takes a knee on a video game not to run the score up.

handNthedirt
11-15-2008, 12:36 AM
How many points a team could have scored if they really tried.

Just curious.

I agree, get as many points as possible in the first half, then call of the dogs.

I don;t know about timeouts when you're up by 41...... but still.

Run that sumbitch up so long as you're not riskin injury...meanin if your second stringers can move the ball let em do it...you're buildin confidence and buildin game time experience with your underclassmen...you gotta keep next season in mind while you're dominatin this one man. a good boyscout is prepared.