PDA

View Full Version : Snyder vs. Lubbock Cooper

Snyder_TigerFan
11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Cooper looks to avenge 53-0 loss to Snyder
November 12, 2008 · Print This Article

BY TRAVIS CRAM

AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

A change was all Cooper needed to get into the playoffs.

Midway through the first half of the season in Week 5, the Pirates were 0-3 and looking at a possible fourth straight loss to Brownfield, down 13-6.
Then Cooper head coach John Windham made a change at quarterback and other positions; a change for the season.

“Obviously (Tae) Richerson has developed a lot,” said Windham, whose Pirates won that meeting 22-19. “But it hasn’t been just the switch at quarterback. We made some offensive linemen switches and defensive linemen switches that have helped us a lot and everybody’s started to believe and play better.”

Six games after that win, Cooper (6-4) is in the playoffs with a District 1-3A championship and faces the one team that gave Richerson and the Pirates trouble during their 6-1 stretch.

Snyder (7-3) made it in the playoffs as the third team from District 2-3A with its only district losses coming at the hands of district champion Abilene Wylie and runner-up Sweetwater. Today’s 7:30 p.m. matchup at the Mustang Bowl in Andrews will be a rematch between the Tigers and Pirates from Week 8 — a 53-0 win for Snyder.

The game was originally set for Sept. 5, but had to be postponed after the untimely death of Cooper student and basketball player Kelsey Vines, who died in a car accident earlier that week.

The game was dominated by Snyder, who bounced out to a 32-0 lead at the half and held Cooper to 59 yards of offense and four first downs, while forcing four turnovers.

Tigers head coach Chad Rogers said the win over Cooper is a good example of how his team can move the ball by ground or by air.

“The option has been working really well,” he said, “and it’s giving us the ability to throw the ball a little more … but they’ve gotten better, we’ve gotten better and healthier. So we really haven’t paid too much attention to the film from that game to compare.”

But that would be the only blemish on the Pirates’ record the rest of the season. They ran through 1-3A play undefeated, winning all five contests. A big difference in the turnaround has to be somewhat attributed to Richerson’s leadership and ability to run at quarterback.

Since he took over, the Pirates have averaged 60 more yards per game (274.7) and scored nearly twice as much per game. They averaged 20.1 points with Richerson under center as opposed to 10.7 in their first three games.

The sophomore quarterback has also made his own mark with running the ball after primarily serving as a receiver in the first three games. He’s totaled 898 yards on the ground, 221 yards passing and 13 touchdowns over the seven-game span.

“You know, we’ve developed a lot since that game so I don’t even think it’s the same team in how we do things,” Windham said. “We’re playing better. Snyder got after us hard and as young as our team is we may not have been ready for it.”

Windham and the Pirates, who may be peaking at the right moment, would love to keep the run going for at least another week.

And maybe get some redemption as well.

“I think so,” he said. “There aren’t a lot of schools where you get a chance to play somebody twice. I think we were a little embarrassed the first time and they understand that so I think they’re ready to get back at them in this one.”

To comment on this story:
travis.cram@lubbockonline.com 766-8736
jeff.walker@lubbockonline.com 766-8735

CLASS 3A
Division II Bi-District Playoff
Cooper vs. Snyder
7:30 p.m., Mustang Bowl, Andrews
Radio: KSNY 105.3 FM
(Snyder)
Records: Cooper 6-4, Snyder 7-3
Cooper vs. Snyder
beat Levelland 28-9 Last week beat Brownwood 56-49
281.3 Total offense 370.9
269.3 Total defense 242.8
17.6 Points scored 33.7
26.1 Points allowed 20.5
QB Tae Richerson Player to watch RB Chase Arrendale
(939 rushing yards) (585 rushing yards)

Link (http://www.lonestarvarsity.com/?p=1848)

Necks_Fan
11-13-2008, 05:02 PM
939 Yds rushing in 7 games froma qb?

Sounds like he's got some wheels.

Snyder_TigerFan
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
While the first matchup between these two resulted in a lopsided victory for the Tigers, I don't think it'll be that way this game. It was the sloppiest game I have ever seen Lubbock Cooper play, who is normally a very scrappy team that keeps games pretty close. Having said that, I am sure they have improved, but not enough to beat the Tigers tonight. Snyder is a very good team. If they can eliminate a few errors that they seem to have each game they are going to be hard to beat, by anyone.

I'll say:
Snyder 42
Lubbock Cooper 14

Wolf Playa
11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Not sure if this is important or not, but when Cooper played Snyder they had most of there starters sitting that game, cause they didnt think they had a chance, i still dnt see Cooper beating Snyder.

Snyder:38
Cooper:21

Snyder_TigerFan
11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Wolf Playa
Not sure if this is important or not, but when Cooper played Snyder they had most of there starters sitting that game, cause they didnt think they had a chance, i still dnt see Cooper beating Snyder.

Snyder:38
Cooper:21

Huh? They sat the starters because they didn't think they had a chance? Where did you get that info? And what kind of coach would send that message to their players? Come on now.

Wolf Playa
11-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Unless they were hurt, our scouts that went too that game, saw most of the starters sitting on the sidelines and not playing. They could of been resting for District??

garciap77
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Any links for this game? Or play by play updates?

Pmoney
11-13-2008, 07:48 PM
if anyone could update us on this game, id greatly appreciate it