PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Experience Factor?

Bullaholic
11-13-2008, 02:04 PM
How big a factor is it for a team to have a lot of playoff experience in the playoffs? Can the thrill and the prospect of establishing a winning tradition overcome a seasoned playoff contender? How often do "new kids on the block" win state titles?

3afan
11-13-2008, 02:16 PM
I believe its a minimal factor .... much more leading up to the game & all that surrounds it than anything on the field

the biggest factor is the TALENT ON THE FIELD

cshscougar08
11-13-2008, 02:37 PM
I think it's a pretty big factor. Big situations on the field can prove daunting, but the experience factor kicks in and the team knows how to respond to adverse situations. And I totally disagree that talent on the field is the biggest factor. Case in point: Gilmer.

STANG RED
11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I think it can be huge. Look at the teams that go deep every year. Many of those are the same year after year. Many of their seniors have been on varsity since being sophomores, and have experienced many playoff games. Look at LH for instance. They probably have a few seniors that already played in 12 playoff games without a defeat. That's another entire undefeated season for those boys over those seniors from teams not used to being in the playoffs, or only for short runs. LH may have some seniors that have played in as many as 42 varsity games by now, with 12 of those being playoff games. 2 being state championships. I think its a huge advantage.

I know LH is an extreme example though. But there are lots of teams that go 3 to 4 rounds deep just about every year. I believe one reason they keep doing that, is because of the playoff experience of their players, and the fact of just having played more games in general year after year.

LHexPlayer
11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I think it's a big factor. Can the new kids on the block handle the pressure, that comes with, if you lose you go home? Doubt can get into the minds of young kids while the playoff tested know what it takes. Talent is not the only factor. Having the right frame of mind is huge too.

BILLYFRED0000
11-13-2008, 02:47 PM
It is a factor. We have been to the title game 3 years in a row. Most of these kids have been a part of the program at some point in that run. They know what is expected and they have an idea what to expect. It helps because they have seen big games or played in big games. Now the questions is are they hungrier than the other team.

LHexPlayer
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
It is a factor. We have been to the title game 3 years in a row. Most of these kids have been a part of the program at some point in that run. They know what is expected and they have an idea what to expect. It helps because they have seen big games or played in big games. Now the questions is are they hungrier than the other team.

They probably also don't expect to lose. While some teams that make it 3 rounds deep every year, think they will win until the 3rd round or so. Then they start to think, well that is probably it. That is when they hit their limit. Teams like Celina never expect to drop a game. EVER! And that is a huge factor in my opinion.

CHS_89
11-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
I think it's a big factor. Can the new kids on the block handle the pressure, that comes with, if you lose you go home? Doubt can get into the minds of young kids while the playoff tested know what it takes. Talent is not the only factor. Having the right frame of mind is huge too.

I agree, talent is not the only factor, but it is important. Can the talented less playoff tested team beat a traditional playoff historied team?...absolutely!! In my op, I'll take the playoff tested team over a first or second time playoff team with talent.

However...any given night...that's why we play the game and follow it religiously win or lose. Good luck to all in the playoffs.

Texasfootball2
11-13-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm going to say a BIB FACTOR also. There are a lot of playoff matchups where both teams are fairly equal in talent but the one team with experience and playoff tradition wins the game easily.
Experience teams play loose and with more confidence, and consiquently all the breaks seem to go there way, whereas teams with lack of experience seem to play tight and play not to lose. Playoff coaching experience is also an advantage especially when the games are on Thursday or Sat. (especially in the afternoon). Knowing how to schedule your practices and budget your time wisely is crucial when the schedules are altered.

I also agree that playing several years in a row gives a team a big advantage because their young kids get 4-6 weeks more of practice evrery year than those who don't make the playoff. Example: The Wylie Seniors have suited up for 30 varsity games since Nov. of the sophmore year (they played on the JV all year and were moved up for the playoffs). 5 playoff games as a soph, 15 games as juniors, and 10 games so far as seniors.

The other side of that is a team in the playoffs for the first time in years. Their Seniors are suiting up for their 21st game since their Sophmore year ( if they were JV as soph). The Wylie kids have played 10 more games (the equivalent of a "whole season more of games") than those kids from a school who are in the playoffs for the first time.

Just my opinion

kepdawg
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I think it is definitely more of a positive than a negative but I think it is also overrated.

ShortDog68
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
When you expect to beat everyone, you have the confidence that you can do it and you know what it takes to get it done, its just a matter of going out there and doing what you do. Our boys know what we expect out of them. Our coaches makes the adjustments as needed to nullify the opponent's game plan. It's merely a matter of time and space. The time it takes to win and the space between our opponent's ears that tells him," We can't stop 'em." (pardon my grammar).

Go Panthers

BwdLion73
11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Shortdog has a point about playoff confidence. It has changed some since half of your district gets in the playoffs now as opposed to only one team to advance.

I recall (warning old timer back in the day moment) when our biggest struggle was to concentrate and win district. Once that was done it was more of a party time, going to new places playing teams we had never heard of. We had already been instilled with the idea that once we earned the playoffs we could and would beat everyone. If you can run a few years in the playoffs you have an edge in my opinion.

Your now returned to your modern day posters! :D

WylieBulldog92
11-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I always thought that execution of the plays was the biggest factor?

BwdLion73
11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I always thought that execution of the plays was the biggest factor?

Most likely was if your team had not been taught how to execute by the time you got to the playoffs.;)

Runnin Panther
11-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes playoff experience is important, for most of the reasons already mentioned. In addition to that I think there is a psychological factor as well. For teams new to the party, your conscious mind can tell you all day long why you could, should and will win. But when the game gets heated and adversity creeps in, so do the doubts. That’s when you tighten up and make mistakes.
I also agree with BillyFred, who is hungrier? When you have two battle tested teams sometimes it just comes down to sheer will and guts.

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I think it can be huge. Look at the teams that go deep every year. Many of those are the same year after year. Many of their seniors have been on varsity since being sophomores, and have experienced many playoff games. Look at LH for instance. They probably have a few seniors that already played in 12 playoff games without a defeat. That's another entire undefeated season for those boys over those seniors from teams not used to being in the playoffs, or only for short runs. LH may have some seniors that have played in as many as 42 varsity games by now, with 12 of those being playoff games. 2 being state championships. I think its a huge advantage.

I know LH is an extreme example though. But there are lots of teams that go 3 to 4 rounds deep just about every year. I believe one reason they keep doing that, is because of the playoff experience of their players, and the fact of just having played more games in general year after year.
11 without a defeat. ;) One senior has 53 starts on varsity, so far; 5 or 6 others have 39 starts.

I think playoff experience helps, but there is also the additional weeks of practice that those teams earn every year.

OldBison75
11-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Playoff experience is a major factor in my mind. The experienced team will enter the game with no thoughts about the hype surrounding the game. They expect to win and the fans expect them to win. They are loose and confident. When the game is on the line, they have the experience to call on to get the job donse.

clemsmarina
11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Coaches with DEEP playoff experience is also a major factor.
Panic doesn't set in and they don't do anything any different than they have the last "however many" years...

When the situations get to a do or die point, they calmly call the plays they know work, and have been practicing 16 - 20 weeks a year, the last 4+ years.

garciap77
11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I think it's a pretty big factor. Big situations on the field can prove daunting, but the experience factor kicks in and the team knows how to respond to adverse situations. And I totally disagree that talent on the field is the biggest factor. Case in point: Gilmer.

:iagree:

Gobbla2001
11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
It can help and harm a team... I believe in most cases it helps...

It helps being familiar with your surroundings, familiar with knowing you have to win to continue on, just familiar with the whole feel of it...

But you can also become complacent, knowing you've 'been there, done that', and just need to show up to win... that's when that start-up program sneaks up and knocks your ass outta the playoffs... because they wanted that trophy (knocking off the Playoff Powerhouse) on their wall...

bobcat1
11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
It can help and harm a team... I believe in most cases it helps...

It helps being familiar with your surroundings, familiar with knowing you have to win to continue on, just familiar with the whole feel of it...

But you can also become complacent, knowing you've 'been there, done that', and just need to show up to win... that's when that start-up program sneaks up and knocks your ass outta the playoffs... because they wanted that trophy (knocking off the Playoff Powerhouse) on their wall...
Want is the key! :clap: :clap: :clap: Who wants it the most!:ditto:

wimbo_pro
11-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
I believe its a minimal factor .... much more leading up to the game & all that surrounds it than anything on the field

the biggest factor is the TALENT ON THE FIELD

TOTALLY disagree. For young kids, experience is extremely important. Obviously talent is important...but if they are talented AND experienced, watch out! All this speaks volumes for LH this year.

jambo67
11-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Presence of mind on the field is most important, Most athletes call it being in the ZONE. PoM just doesnt happen though. How it comes about I aint exactly sure, I just know it when I see it.

slpybear the bullfan
11-13-2008, 09:23 PM
I think experience as far as "game jitters" is overrated. MOST teams in the playoffs will have played at least one or two big time games against highly touted foes. If they haven't, then yeah, lack of experience could be an issue.

However, I think experience as far as "extra practice time" is priceless in the playoffs. If you get two, three, four or more extra weeks of practice and game time for your freshmen, sophs, and juniors then next year your team is even better off for the next season.

catdaddy
11-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Personally I think it comes down to the individual. Does the excitement/stress affect their play negatively or do they use it to elevate their play.
You can't rule out the gameplan or extra practice and experience that playoffs allow but everyone feels the nervousness and butterflies. It's just that the good players use it to their advantage instead of being controlled by it.