PDA

View Full Version : Bailouts for all!

SWMustang
11-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Does anyone else think this is a bad idea? The auto industry is now in line to get 25 billion from uncle sam. I wouldn't care if these companies were forced to re-organized from the top down. Obviously the current system didn't work for the big three.

JasperDog94
11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm with you. The government is getting waaaaaaay too involved in business. If these businesses make bad decisions, then they need to suffer the consequences. Let them file for chapter 11, reorganize, sell-off to another company and move forward.

carter08
11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm with you. The government is getting waaaaaaay too involved in business. If these businesses make bad decisions, then they need to suffer the consequences. Let them file for chapter 11, reorganize, sell-off to another company and move forward.

and eventually we end up with a failed economy. Consumers aren't spending. If consumers don't spend, companies lose money. If companies lose too much money, they end up filing for bankruptcy. As long as consumers don't spend, reorganizing is not going to help a thing. The companies will not emerge from their financial problems. Without some government intervention, the economy is going to fall apart.

Then again, too much intervention will devalue our dollar even further and lead to horrible inflation.

Guess we're screwed either way.

Ranger Mom
11-12-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't pay close attention to any of this stuff...but I heard on Good Morning American that the corporate big wigs are STILL staying in swanky motels and partying it up....on the tax payer's money...that makes me see RED!!!

By George, I have to scrimp and save just to afford a motel for 2 nights for the State Track meet!!:mad: :mad:

JasperDog94
11-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't pay close attention to any of this stuff...but I heard on Good Morning American that the corporate big wigs are STILL staying in swanky motels and partying it up....on the tax payer's money...that makes me see RED!!!

By George, I have to scrimp and save just to afford a motel for 2 nights for the State Track meet!!:mad: :mad: Exactly. Most people on this board have no idea what restructuring can do for a company. It happened with Chrysler many years ago and can happen again.

JasperDog94
11-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by carter08
and eventually we end up with a failed economy. Consumers aren't spending. If consumers don't spend, companies lose money. If companies lose too much money, they end up filing for bankruptcy. As long as consumers don't spend, reorganizing is not going to help a thing. The companies will not emerge from their financial problems. Without some government intervention, the economy is going to fall apart.

Then again, too much intervention will devalue our dollar even further and lead to horrible inflation.

Guess we're screwed either way. People are spending money, just not as much. When you aren't making money the way you are accustomed to, then you have to change something within your company. That's the way the business world works. You can't depend on Uncle Sam to bail you out.

rockdale80
11-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Thank god for change! :D

SWMustang
11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
check this out

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/bank-executives-promise-use-bailout-money-pay/

The executives made the pledge Thursday in an appearance before the Senate Banking Committee. Lawmakers have reacted in anger to reports that banks might use the bailout money to pay bonuses to their executives, acquire other banks or finance other business takeovers.

Jon Campbell, regional banking president for Wells Fargo & Co.(WFC: 27.28, -0.02, -0.07%) , told the committee his company doesn't need the government's investment to pay for bonuses or compensation and will not use it for that.

Isn't this like me borrowing money from you to pay my electric bill and buying a TV at the same time? I didn't use your money for the TV - I already had money for that.

JasperDog94
11-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Isn't this like me borrowing money from you to pay my electric bill and buying a TV at the same time? I didn't use your money for the TV - I already had money for that. That pretty much sums it up right there.:dispntd:

95mustang
11-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Give the money to the conusmers so they can bail out the industry. They cold pay off mortgages, buy new vehicles, put kids through college, etc. seems like a win/win for everyone.

JasperDog94
11-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by 95mustang
Give the money to the conusmers so they can bail out the industry. They cold pay off mortgages, buy new vehicles, put kids through college, etc. seems like a win/win for everyone. But that means the government is not in control of the money and they don't like that. Most politicians (on both sides) like being in control of the money. Giving it back to the people that pay the taxes seems too easy.

One other thing. It is not the government's responsibility to make up for poor choices people make.