PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell Fans

Global Swarming
11-12-2008, 06:25 PM
How many of y'all going to watch the WOS and Coldspring game this Saturday? I am going with my friend just to see what we're up against.

buff4life
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
up against SIZE SPEED and great COACHING...

i don't have to go but i'll give you the heads up

ProudHornetMom
11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
We're going. I think there may be quite a few make the trip. I want to see that speed first hand.

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Yep I'm sure they have alot of speed. They may have the best scoring defense in 3a, but I bet they haven't seen an offense like ours all year. I doubt if their district is as strong as ours was either. We can definately go in there with a nothing to lose attitude because no one expects us to win anyways.

buff4life
11-13-2008, 12:55 AM
agreed they might not have seen anything like it before...but after facing them three years in a row i'm a WOS homer for their talent...

their offense hasn't really got me yet, but i've very impressed by their D...

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I've never seen them play at all so it should be a treat. Looking at their points against total, it's no doubt they have a stout defense. I haven't seen Coldspring play either. Just going by reputation alone they should get past Coldspring which would set up an interesting matchup come next weekend. We've never faired well in the second round of the play-offs. We have to break that tradition one of these years.

Bearkat
11-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Some of you may be surprised. I don't think they have the overall team speed that they have had in the past. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that WOS is slow. They just aren't as fast as they have been.

GUNHO
11-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
Yep I'm sure they have alot of speed. They may have the best scoring defense in 3a, but I bet they haven't seen an offense like ours all year. I doubt if their district is as strong as ours was either. We can definately go in there with a nothing to lose attitude because no one expects us to win anyways.

I'm a wo-s supporter and i like your attitude global.hopefully we can win this week and meet you guys in round two.
Yes our district was weak this year and that is why we have scored so many points and only allowed 14.We hang our hat on our defense and our offense has the talent but has a history of spudering from time to time.A lot of people blame our OC for this but I beleive it is more in how you exicute.However far we go this year will be determind by our defense and not the offense.If we get into a shooting war with someone I don't like our chances.Good luck to yall in your bye game:D

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Lol, maybe we can rest some of our starters in our bye game.

Bearkat
11-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by GUNHO

Yes our district was weak this year and that is why we have scored so many points and only allowed 14.

I agree with you. The only competition for the district championship was with Silsbee.

OldBison75
11-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Hello Hornet fans. Congratulations on the playoff berth and great game last week against the Yoe. Now, for the future. I have no doubt that you will be the underdog agains WOS, but let me put in a couple of thoughts.

Alot has been said about the WOS speed. Well, we played you guys this year and you ain't no slouches for speed. You have good speed on both offense and defense and can probably hang with the WOS speed in most cases, position for position. There has also been a ton of credit given to the WOS defense. They have not given up very many points this year at all. But, they haven't seen the Caldwell slot T either. If Caldwell runs the T with the same precision and determination they used against us, you will score some points on this defense. The key to beating the WOS defense is establishing the running game and wearing them down.

Against most of thier competition this year, they have faced mostly teams that rely on the run for a set-up for passing. This is a team that has faced alot of teams that believe in running to set up the passing game. When that happens, WOS can limit the run damage and then kill the offense with a speedy passing rush and enough speed to cover receivers in a passing game.

What they will see from you guys is a rushing game that is content to gain three or four yards at a time if necessary. Then break a longer run every so often, and thrown in a few passes to keep the defense from loading up the line. You will see alot of one on one pass coverage that I believe your receivers can beat on the short crossing and curl routes.

Don't get me wrong, I think WOS should be favored in a game against you, but, I believe the Hornets can pull the upset in this matchup because of the type game you play. Good luck next week.

Necks_Fan
11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I saw WO-S beat Giddings in the Playoff's when Fitz was out..... I wasn't OVERLY impressed, but that team was SO young and they have nearly EVERYONE back.

WOS1
11-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Hello Hornet fans. Congratulations on the playoff berth and great game last week against the Yoe. Now, for the future. I have no doubt that you will be the underdog agains WOS, but let me put in a couple of thoughts.

Alot has been said about the WOS speed. Well, we played you guys this year and you ain't no slouches for speed. You have good speed on both offense and defense and can probably hang with the WOS speed in most cases, position for position. There has also been a ton of credit given to the WOS defense. They have not given up very many points this year at all. But, they haven't seen the Caldwell slot T either. If Caldwell runs the T with the same precision and determination they used against us, you will score some points on this defense. The key to beating the WOS defense is establishing the running game and wearing them down.

Against most of thier competition this year, they have faced mostly teams that rely on the run for a set-up for passing. This is a team that has faced alot of teams that believe in running to set up the passing game. When that happens, WOS can limit the run damage and then kill the offense with a speedy passing rush and enough speed to cover receivers in a passing game.

What they will see from you guys is a rushing game that is content to gain three or four yards at a time if necessary. Then break a longer run every so often, and thrown in a few passes to keep the defense from loading up the line. You will see alot of one on one pass coverage that I believe your receivers can beat on the short crossing and curl routes.

Don't get me wrong, I think WOS should be favored in a game against you, but, I believe the Hornets can pull the upset in this matchup because of the type game you play. Good luck next week.

That's a pretty good assessment in most years OB. And, while our district is weak, most of those teams in the district have had some success running on us the way you say, by wearing us out, in the past. The difference is that, this year, we have more depth on defense. We do not give up the run. WOS defenses have always been very strong against the run except for the last few years. This year we have been back to our old self.

You are also wrong about our district. Most of the teams we play are not running to set up the pass. They want to run, but can't and have to pass. We have done well at putting running teams in 3rd and 5, 6 and 7 situations where they are not very succesful. I do believe a very good running team like Caldwell will get their first downs. But the problem is being able to get them consistently up and down the field. I think this is where a one dimensional team will have problems. They will not score much.

Take that for what it's worth, of course, it's a homer assessment, but I've been watching WOS football for a long time and this defense is a lot like the one that carried us to the 4A state finals in 2000.

Someone also said that we aren't as fast as you may think. I'm not sure what that's being compared to, but we've been much faster than anyone we've played, including Brookshire.

In all, I just hope we get the opportunity to play Caldwell. I've heard much about their running game, but Coldspring is no slouch and will be out for a little revenge.

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I just hope that it's a good game. I know that we're leading the Brazos Valley in yardage per game I believe. We are averaging well over 400 yards a game on the ground. We have 3 very good backs so teams can't just key on one. We don't have any burners, but they can break a long run every now and then. I'm sure that WOS will have the speed advantage on us. But with the type of offense that we run we don't rely on alot of speed. We rely on timing and precision. It should be alot of fun granted WOS gets by Coldspring on Saturday.

OldBison75
11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
WOS, I think we may be saying the same thing, but not phrasing it the same. I was saying that WOS has played alot of teams that use the pass for the big play and get impatient if they have too many 2nd or 3rd and five or more. Caldwell will not do that. They will run hard and have seen them go with a run on 3rd and eight a number of times. Plus, I believe that Caldwell would be happy to get three or four yards consistently all night and run the clock. That would also serve to wear down a defense.

As for the WOS defense, they have done nothing all year that makes me believe that they can't play well. I just believe this will be a low scoring affair. If so, Caldwell will have a good chance to come out on top. If it becomes a see-saw scoring affair, Caldwell will not be able to keep it up.

Just my opinion, but I don't see either team scoring more that 24.

Global Swarming
11-13-2008, 09:26 PM
WOS how much do y'all depend on the pass? Is your offense balanced or do y'all depend on one more than the other?

HEMOTOXIC
11-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Hey, hopefully the WOS/Caldwell game will pan out. I have a co worker thats from Coldspring who wants me to attend the game on Saturday. But, I don't think that Coldspring has what it takes to beat a team like WOS. On the other hand, I would love to see Caldwell run the slot T at WOS. If the WOS/Caldwell game does happen, hopefully it will be on Saturday night, since Navasota plays Friday. That way I can make that matchup.

Good Luck to WOS & Coldspring.

griff
11-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
up against SIZE SPEED and great COACHING...

i don't have to go but i'll give you the heads up

You got two out of three right, buff. We have the speed, the coaching to go with it, but not an abundance of size.

griff
11-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I saw WO-S beat Giddings in the Playoff's when Fitz was out..... I wasn't OVERLY impressed, but that team was SO young and they have nearly EVERYONE back.

I can see how you would see it this way, necks_fan. Our defense last year didn't (and most other years, as well) have any blue chipper standouts. We've always been coached in a TEAM defense philosophy where all 11 players are taught to go toward the ball carrier. Using last year's Giddings game that you referenced...if you'll remember, we forced the Buffs into MANY third and fourth down situations, including making them punt more than they were accustomed to. The Buffs broke a couple of big plays, but for the most part we made them earn every yard. Games like that don't always look glamorous on the stat sheet, but it is one of the marks of an excellent defense.

This year's defense is even better than the one you saw last year.

WOS1
11-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
WOS how much do y'all depend on the pass? Is your offense balanced or do y'all depend on one more than the other?

We have rushed for 1800 yards and passed for 1100 in 8 games. Take that for what it's worth, our QB is something like 71-112 passing. He's a pretty good one and he's a dual threat. So, I would say we are pretty balanced. You definitely can't just stack the box to stop the run.

I just hope we come away from the Colspring game OK. I'm worried about this game. They are explosive.