PDA

View Full Version : Regarding BCS National Championship Game

Phil C
11-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I want to say right now that no matter who gets chosen:

WE NEED A REAL PLAYOFF SYSTEM IN DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!!

:mad:

forum_guy
11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
a +1 would happen before that ever would

Texasfootball2
11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I think that the next time the BCS contract is up, they will change in someway. My prediction is not just a +1 game, but a +2 situation where after all the bowls are played under the present system they will take the top 4 teams and have a +2 bracket.

#1 plays #4, and #2 plays #3 with seeds 1 & 2 getting home games. The two winners would play the NCG at a predetermined nuetral site much like the Superbowl. To do this they will have to end the regular season by the second week in December and go back to playing all the major bowls on or around Jan 1. This would allow the four team playoff to be finished before the Spring semesters begin at the majority of the universities.

This type of playoff would allow them to keep the present system in place and still make every game in the regular season just as important as it is right now.

bigYoe
11-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I think that the next time the BCS contract is up, they will change in someway. My prediction is not just a +1 game, but a +2 situation where after all the bowls are played under the present system they will take the top 4 teams and have a +2 bracket.

#1 plays #4, and #2 plays #3 with seeds 1 & 2 getting home games. The two winners would play the NCG at a predetermined nuetral site much like the Superbowl. To do this they will have to end the regular season by the second week in December and go back to playing all the major bowls on or around Jan 1. This would allow the four team playoff to be finished before the Spring semesters begin at the majority of the universities.

This type of playoff would allow them to keep the present system in place and still make every game in the regular season just as important as it is right now.

:ditto: I like that.

JasperDog94
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2

This type of playoff would allow them to keep the present system in place and still make every game in the regular season just as important as it is right now. This would be better than we have right now, but it still would suck for at least 1 member of the Big 12 South. Only 2 teams are allowed into a BCS game and right now there are 3 teams in the top 5 from the Big 12 South.:(

Texasfootball2
11-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
This would be better than we have right now, but it still would suck for at least 1 member of the Big 12 South. Only 2 teams are allowed into a BCS game and right now there are 3 teams in the top 5 from the Big 12 South.:(

Baby Steps my friend Baby Steps!

I can't see a drastic change to the present system. If they could go to a system like I just described maybe after several years they would wake up and add four more teams. But regardless of how many teams they allow in a playoff system, someone is going to get screwed, and I doubt that the Big 12 South will be this dominate every year anyway. It all cycles to some degree.

themsu97
11-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head Jasper... no matter what system you have, there will always be a complaint as to who gets left out...
who gets in to the playoffs? would Tech, Texas or OU be left at home in favor of a Oregon State? or Wake FOrest? Or West Virginia? if you went with an 8 team playoff, teams #9, 10, etc would cry foul as well...
then there are the TCU's of the world... we gripe because of their conference but you do not see the big schools knocking down their doors to play them, because they might get beat...
there is no solution...
that is why the powers that be stick with the bowl schedules

Phil C
11-12-2008, 12:50 PM
There are other reason$ the power$ that be stay with the bowl. Even so if you take the top 8 teams there would be some complaints by No. 9. But it would eliminate 6 other complainers that would be in. That would be better than havings just two in.

themsu97
11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
we know it is about $$$... but why not... we line up and watch them anyway...

Texasfootball2
11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
we know it is about $$$... but why not... we line up and watch them anyway...

If it's all about the $$$$$$$ then keeping the present system as is, and adding a +2 system would only make them more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! I've heard every arguement by the powers that be, and based on every excuse they have given, they cannot look at the +2 system I explained earlier and find anything to pick at.

Now that big time coaches like Stoops and Carroll are strongly voiceing their opinions for some type of playoff I think that the BCS will have to take a serious look at some type of change, especially with their contract ending in a couple of years.

JasperDog94
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
I think you hit the nail on the head Jasper... no matter what system you have, there will always be a complaint as to who gets left out...
who gets in to the playoffs? would Tech, Texas or OU be left at home in favor of a Oregon State? or Wake FOrest? Or West Virginia? if you went with an 8 team playoff, teams #9, 10, etc would cry foul as well...
then there are the TCU's of the world... we gripe because of their conference but you do not see the big schools knocking down their doors to play them, because they might get beat...
there is no solution...
that is why the powers that be stick with the bowl schedules True, but that's why I like a 16 team playoff system. If you can't make it into the top 16, then you don't have an argument. The top 16 would include all the unbeatens from smaller conferences, all the 1 loss teams from major conferences and maybe a couple of 2 loss teams. No arguments here. (serious ones anyway)

gatordaze
11-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Each year passionate fans debate the possibilities as we have on this board. A playoff would eliminate that as teams like PSU would still be hopefull and the OU's would not have to calculate how much to win by. College football is greatness because there is no playoff. Winners and losers yes and plenty of spirited discussion to be sure, Don't change a thing!

JasperDog94
11-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Each year passionate fans debate the possibilities as we have on this board. A playoff would eliminate that as teams like PSU would still be hopefull and the OU's would not have to calculate how much to win by. College football is greatness because there is no playoff. Winners and losers yes and plenty of spirited discussion to be sure, Don't change a thing! Yeah. Leave it just like it is so that we can have undefeated teams like Auburn left out of the championship game. After all it does make for interesting discussion.

We should NOT do like college basketball and have a playoff because we know how boring March Madness is.:doh:

gatordaze
11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Yeah. Leave it just like it is so that we can have undefeated teams like Auburn left out of the championship game. After all it does make for interesting discussion.

We should NOT do like college basketball and have a playoff because we know how boring March Madness is.:doh:

BBall plays so many games that any one game is irrelevant. When you lose late in CFB you change everything. It works more than not and the only people that every want it changed are the ones that didn't take care of business in the first place. TT and Bama think its fine so do all of the fans whose teams control their own destiny!

JasperDog94
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
BBall plays so many games that any one game is irrelevant. When you lose late in CFB you change everything. It works more than not and the only people that every want it changed are the ones that didn't take care of business in the first place. TT and Bama think its fine so do all of the fans whose teams control their own destiny! Tell that to Auburn.

Texasfootball2
11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
BBall plays so many games that any one game is irrelevant. When you lose late in CFB you change everything. It works more than not and the only people that every want it changed are the ones that didn't take care of business in the first place. TT and Bama think its fine so do all of the fans whose teams control their own destiny!

I agree with Jasperdog, if you were an Auburn fan the words "holding your own destiny" carry a totally different meaning.

Take a close look again at the senerio above, and if implemented this game between OU and TT would have every bit the same if not more meaning to it. So would the game between UT and Kansas and it may even be "more" important that UT blowout Kansas in my playoff senerio in order to have a chance to stay in the hunt. The best thing about have this type of playoff senerio would be that you could possibly still lose a game "late" in the season and have a chance to still finish in the top 4, whereas right now if you lose late you have "NO" chance of finishing in the top 2.

JasperDog94
11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Can you imagine the discussion about who would be seeded where in a top 16 playoff? We would all be salivating over who would match up against who. Home field advantage for the first round. The next three rounds could be bowl games. Call them whatever you like, just make it happen. You can't tell me that having teams like Texas, OU, USC, Alabama, and Ohio State in a playoff atmosphere wouldn't draw huge money...especially if they got to play multiple games.:eek:

BrahmaMom
11-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd love to see the system revamped. Let 'em get their money out of it, just make it make sense.

Hupernikomen
11-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Play a game or two less nonconference and a 16 playoff schedule would work just fine. (No more money for the Sam Houstons of the world for getting pasted by someone in week 1 though.) I agree with J94 that the 2nd round and following could be hosted as bowl games to allow for the commercial aspect of the game to get theirs.

Txbroadcaster
11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
To many coaches, ADs and alumni love having that final game be a win in a bowl for a play-off system to replace it

alot of 7-5 coaches keep their job because they won the wedontcare.com bowl

jambo67
11-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Stop the smoke and mirror crapola about education and be more businesslike. Disband the NCAA and make the College Ball League under the direction of the NFL. Nobody markets like Mr Jones and friends, the money will pour in for more AD's than the current fraud can pay out.

RMAC
11-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Haha. . . I propose and FPFPAA; The Future Professional Football Players Association of America. I can see it now. T. Boone and Jerry run the show. Let THEM decide how college ball goes.:D

sinton66
11-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Jerry would turn it over to Steven.:doh: